As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mortal Kombat 11] We Got Bugs and Fast Bois!

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Honestly I really hope there’s an option to force default costumes. Sometimes I’m not in the mood for crazy looking characters. Injustice 2 seemed to only have it in local tournament mode.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    It’s weird seeing Shao Kahn in the character roster like that. Funny, too. His design would be just way too over the top for a regular fighter, in my opinion. Without his end-boss bonafides, he looks like a ridiculous bone soldier there. If he was a new character he would probably end up on the pile with Hsu Hao and Kobra.

• Options
    Max Dood was streaming the test for a bit, said the pace was pretty similar to Injustice 2, which is fantastic news to me (less so for him, since he wants things to be much, much faster).

• Options
    I feel like a default costumes mode has to be possible/likely since, If Memory Serves Me Correctly, the skill customization is not baked into the cosmetics themselves, making it possible to get the look you want with the advantages you want, via associated sockets in each bit of gear.

Mind you, it still sounds like a minefield for balancing the game properly, but I’m imagining a separate toggle for skill boosts wouldn’t be unreasonable either. I’m sure NRS would rather have players interacting with that stuff in online play though, so I could be wrong about their priorities.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    NRS has a very admirable challenge: Basically keep advancing/escalating the conflict while maintaining a credible threat. This whole ‘modern’ trilogy, if it can be called that, started with time shenaniganry with Raiden’s medallion. Time travel is such a difficult element to introduce, but they’ve done a decent job so far by keeping it in the hands of the gods only.

I don’t know how many more Mortal Kombats are in Ed Boon. I sorta...wonder about that a little, you know?

From what I can tell, he's in a sweet plum of a position as game developers go: He's able to alternate between two very different franchises, which is a luxury a lot of devs don't seem to get, and I'll bet he has enough cred to do another if he wanted.

That kind of creative break probably helps keep him fresh with each new project.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They've been able to put out a new game every two years since 2011. I'm curious what the crunch conditions are like there.

• Options
    It’s an incredibly fortunate situation. They’re very, very lucky to be attached to two strong niche titles. And it’s to their immense credit that they’ve cultivated and grown them so successfully.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I wonder if they will ever do another MK vs DC?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I don't think so, honestly the concept kind of nerfed what was great about mk and didn't do the dc universe as much justice as the Injustice series does on its own anyway

It l probably just be kept to dlc character cross overs

Prohass on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    From memory, wasn’t the MK side a bit shafted due to needing the violence toned down? I never played it but I remember something about that.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    The MK side was fine, the game had some blood, and most the MK character kills were legit like Scorpion burning them alive, or Sub-Zero shattering them as an ice block.

The DC side was severely hampered, as the "Heroic Brutalities" were just Wile E. Coyote/Roadrunner levels of cartoony violent. At worst, Catwoman appears to break the opponent's neck, and Joker fires an gun for an off-screen kill.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    MK/DC was a baldly shrewd marketing comprise that proved Injustice could be a thing, and probably floated the pre-Netherrealm Studios when Midway got liquidated.

• Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I remember when they showed Joker’s “fatality” at a convention and it got a huge reaction from the audience. It was perfect Joker. But then they had to censor it by having the shot occur off camera. Such a shame they had to compromise for the teen rating. It’s nice Shang Tsung had that as a fatality in MK9, even though it didn’t fit the character.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    It was a pretty nice wink to what they wanted to do, even if it did require a legally distinct evil clown to get away with it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Anyone know what the season pass price is by itself? Cos the Australian physical copy of the standard edition is like 40 au dollars cheaper than the digital version. I'm thinking it will be way cheaper for me to buy the standard physical copy then buy the season pass separately

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    The difference on Steam between standard and with the Kombat pack is $45au, so it’s not going to be less than that separately outside of a sale.

Watched some beta streaming and the costume variation is huge. One fight between two Scorpions, one was blue and one almost looked like Kano.

Yeah that could be a problem.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i didn't realize you could customize the name of variation's. i was watching ketchup and mustard and they had a scorpion variation named "cooking with" and got really excited

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The difference on Steam between standard and with the Kombat pack is $45au, so it’s not going to be less than that separately outside of a sale.

Watched some beta streaming and the costume variation is huge. One fight between two Scorpions, one was blue and one almost looked like Kano.

Yeah that could be a problem.

It’s interesting to think about how the customization options could be considered moving from characters in a traditional fighting game to more...character class archetypes. I don’t know if that’s what’s developing here, it will depend on how the playerbase takes to it, but the customization options are compelling already.

• Options
    Do you need to preorder the komplete edition to get shao kahn? I was going to go through Amazon and get a physical edition but I don't see the pre order or beta access on the regular version

• Options
    Do you need to preorder the komplete edition to get shao kahn? I was going to go through Amazon and get a physical edition but I don't see the pre order or beta access on the regular version

It would seem pre-ordering the basic version provides email codes for the beta and Shao Kahn, about 24 hours after completing thr preorder, according to the Amazon Q&A section.

• Options
    Two reveals on the Kombat Kast this week

• Options

It would seem pre-ordering the basic version provides email codes for the beta and Shao Kahn, about 24 hours after completing thr preorder, according to the Amazon Q&A section.

i missed that when i was going through it earlier. i feel like the premium edition is a bit much since it seems to only be the first dlc and the steelcase. not interested in the latter and the former i'd rather wait to see both who is in it although i'll likely get it

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Man it sucks my xbox took a shit. I was a bit to finish injustice 2 and replay MKX with this coming out. This would be an instabuy if I wasn't as broke as my xbox.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Two reveals on the Kombat Kast this week

For those of us unable to watch, what were they?

• Options
    It hasn’t happened yet, but Kotal will be one of them. He was teased last week.

• Options
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Wait, they're announcing the DLC characters before they're done announcing the base roster? That's certainly an approach.

• Options
    They gotta put the carrot out for that kombat pass

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Announcing the DLC before all the core features are known has been the new normal for a good while now.

• Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Thinking the first DLC will be an MK regular. Someone we've seen/heard of before. They won't announce one of the horror movie villains until the 3rd or 4th character in the first DLC pack. First choice would be a Hellraiser Cenobite, but a small part of me wants the new Pennywise.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    There have been a lot of Spawn rumors flying around as well.

My personal (obvious biased) choice for a guest would be for them to keep the TMNT relationship going and put Shredder in, though I don't know if Nick would go for it, given the violence.

• Options
    I get promoting the Kombat Pass (or whatever) at the right time, and I get having a character or set of characters emblematic of that pass as a neat, immediate way to make it a tangible thing for players.

But hell. The game is still a month out, and there’s this weirdness with characters that are ‘revealed’ but not shown off yet...even BONUS SHAO KAHN hasn’t been demonstrated, beyond his ability to chill in a spooky chair with a hammer and a new mask.

Maybe this is ‘normal’ now, but I feel a little bit like they could be playing fast and loose with which characters are going to be ready for launch and which will need to be DLC before they’re playable. Maybe I’m way off the mark on that but it’s easy enough to imagine.

• Options
    Unfortunately, Netherrealm is owned by WB, who have shown zero hesitation in monetizing the shit out of their games.

Remember how you can pay real world money for tokens to auto-perform fatalities in a previous Mortal Kombat game?

• Options
    True. Especially after the Shadow of War debacle I’ve been giving WB some side-eye over how they may choose to run the next MK game.

Suppose it’s too soon to know what they really intend to do.

• Options
    Jacqui trailer, featuring Kotal Khan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3FqG2Cfpk4

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Thinking the first DLC will be an MK regular. Someone we've seen/heard of before. They won't announce one of the horror movie villains until the 3rd or 4th character in the first DLC pack. First choice would be a Hellraiser Cenobite, but a small part of me wants the new Pennywise.

Only if he does that creepy goofy dance thing. Maybe as part of a fatality, or a special move. Maybe just as his victory pose.
    But, if NR can't work that in somehow, then what's the point?

Also, Pinhead from Hellraiser would be sweet to see. But, I think that between the hooks and chains and the whole "Drag you to hell" thing he does, I think he might be stepping on Scorpions toes a bit.

• Options

Haven’t been able to view the whole thing yet but Jacqui’s slam moves look great and Kotal having Jaguar transformations is awesome

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Kotal looks fun. I felt like his intro kind of overshadowed Jacqui's. "Oh yeah, I can turn into a panther, no big deal."

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Finally, an Animality that makes sense

• Options

Haven’t been able to view the whole thing yet but Jacqui’s slam moves look great and Kotal having Jaguar transformations is awesome
    Iblis wrote: »
    Kotal looks fun. I felt like his intro kind of overshadowed Jacqui's. "Oh yeah, I can turn into a panther, no big deal."

Looks more like a puma to me. :wink: