As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    What really bugs me about this is that in addition to the battlepass rewards not being that great, you also get no other rewards of any kind after player level 100 - it all just dries up completely, unless you buy packs of course. Crafting materials in particular are incredibly hard to come by, so if there's anything in the base loot pool that you want, good luck. I get that comparing to Overwatch isn't completely fair since that's a paid game, but still, that game is incredibly generous in comparison even taking that into account.

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Rius wrote: »
    It's gonna take a looooooong time to grind these levels. The XP for Battle Pass level 1->2 is double that from regular level 97->98, and while you get regular match XP as BP XP, plus bonus XP for playing on different legends each week, it's still pretty slow.

But it's a three month season so vOv

Ugh. I was hoping they’d take the lesson from fortnite and add challenges/quests so you can level it with a few hours of play every week.
    I’m not paying them $10 so I can have a second unpaid job for 3 months.

Yeah when I said I wanted battle pass now, I meant with good implementation. This is just another bar to fill with lackluster rewards.

I guess on the plus side it remains there is nothing I want in this game that isn't free.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    The very idea of Caustic as a good guy is hilarious.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Was anyone else not getting friend bonus xp for the season pass?

What is this I don't even.
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Was anyone else not getting friend bonus xp for the season pass?

I think the "friend in party" bonuses don't start until people are season level 12

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was kind of excited by the announcement of the season pass, but this is going to be an incredible slog.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    So I like Octane.

I have a feeling he's in for a nerf at some point though.

Hahahaha, I was playing Wraith with two randos and it was quite a spicy match. After doing ~1200 damage and getting 4 kills with similar performances from my teammates, we were in the top 4 and engaged with another squad. We were up outside Airstrip, the north high ramp exit, and an enemy Pathfinder had grappled up to some high ground. We traded a lot of gunfire and I had to flee with ~10 HP. I ran west along the outer wall, thinking I could drop down on the stairs and heal up some. So I jumped off the cliff where the stairs were.

Except I wasn't where the fucking stairs were, I was in the middle of nowhere and sailed off the cliff into the ocean in the most noble fashion possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5RRPy5Fvsw

Got another Champion, the next Wraith game haha. 3 kills of our squad's 14, 600 damage done; not much but I called out the positions of the other top 2 squads which gave us the intel necessary to pick our fight.

It was weird; we were kind of in the middle with one team camping a building in a valley and the other team approaching the valley from above us. Once I called out the second team we made the decision to rush them and try to get the 3v3 without getting third partied, since the valley team would have to come a long way uphill.

We won that fight but it took a while; I also got the last knock and kill after my two teammates both traded knocks. I rezzed them both and we healed and looted, and all the time I was certain the other team was coming up the hill after us. But they never did.

The circle moved and there was a single building left in it. I said, "well, if they camped a building last circle they're probably doing the same now", and they were; a Wraith and a Caustic were chilling in that last building. But camping buildings sucks in this game and we killed them pretty easily.

Leveled up and got an Apex pack and a legendary P2020 skin, lol. But I also got a pack from the battle pass, and that had Wraith's legendary portal finisher in it =) So now I have more reasons to play Wraith.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Anyone know why people can get out of the dropship faster than I can? I'll have times where I'll jam on the exit key and there's no way I could drop faster, but people will have already like 20ish yards or more ahead of me.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »
    Anyone know why people can get out of the dropship faster than I can? I'll have times where I'll jam on the exit key and there's no way I could drop faster, but people will have already like 20ish yards or more ahead of me.

I'm guessing some of it has to do with latency/ping but for the most part the common tricks are thus: get high speed by diving at the start, if the ship isn't too far try to maintain speed by going at an angle rather than fully leveling out, and also if the ship is passing you make sure to lead the ship a little bit so you 'meet' it at the cross rather than chasing where the ship is when you drop. Tbh any time you drop for the ship you need to do it ASAP because others are likely going for it too. Basically if you're going for either that or the hotzone, expect a swift death be pleasantly surprised if you don't die somehow.

edited March 2019

I'm guessing some of it has to do with latency/ping but for the most part the common tricks are thus: get high speed by diving at the start, if the ship isn't too far try to maintain speed by going at an angle rather than fully leveling out, and also if the ship is passing you make sure to lead the ship a little bit so you 'meet' it at the cross rather than chasing where the ship is when you drop. Tbh any time you drop for the ship you need to do it ASAP because others are likely going for it too. Basically if you're going for either that or the hotzone, expect a swift death be pleasantly surprised if you don't die somehow.

I do the 'porpoise' thing so that gets me where I'm going fast, it's just odd they all end up ahead of me on drop very consistently. I figured it was either lag or how people seem to to get stuck in a group right when everyone first drops.

vamen on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Oh, I guess the rumors of the battle pass coming with Octane were incorrect? I grabbed it and did a match with randos. We got 5th, I downed some people but didn't get any of the final kills. Got like a 5th of the first level of the battle pass. This thing is gonna take a long time to level up. They need to increase that progression rate and/or add challenges per day/week to help with that because otherwise it's gonna be very very grindy.

It's a three month season, guys, it's not supposed to be complete-able in a few weeks. I got to level 4 tonight just by playing for ~4 hours.

You can get up to 25,000 bonus experience per Legend per week, and if you play with friends after people start getting to level 12 there will be stacking exp multipliers.

Quests would still be cool.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    Quests for sure would make it feel more like an engaging activity rather than a raw "will I hit 100 in time?" hours per day calculation. They've pretty much promised they're doing that sort of thing in future seasons though.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    octane
    29b.jpg

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    I really hope the Spicy Boys make a return and they upgrade their aggression in tracking the nearest target. Just imagine that final circle and a couple robot bugs relentlessly chasing down that team hiding behind a rock.

CRUSH KILL DESTROY....SWAG!

• Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular

I do the 'porpoise' thing so that gets me where I'm going fast, it's just odd they all end up ahead of me on drop very consistently. I figured it was either lag or how people seem to to get stuck in a group right when everyone first drops.

You also need to look straight down before you jump. It will start you at a much faster speed.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    fucking finally!
    YC91ft5.png

So turns out the secret for me enjoying this game is to do what I always do and be the support person.

Lifeline is my jam for sure.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Okay so got some decent games in as Octane, a couple #2 place finishes. Randoms continue to vary wildly between "pure assholes" to "sometimes listen." My number one tip? Stutter-step before stepping on the launchpad. It takes about a second to deploy and if you run over it before it does, you won't bounce away. I learned that the hard way a few times.

https://youtu.be/Nk9ONCccw_Y

I was able to loot these bodies in a hot zone and quickly leave using the pad, and it isn't immediately apparent where it is unlike a Zipline so he's great for hasty escapes and slap fights in the early game

https://youtu.be/DTo-iUFpG_4

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    People who treat this as solo game can fuck right off. I don't give a fuck how good you are. Don't hot drop early because I didn't drop where I wanted, and for FUCKS SAKE stop running full speed into engagements when me and the other poor asshole stuck with you are over 300m away.

Icing on that shit cake was quitting right before we recovered his banner. Assholes.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I just had 2 games where one dude straight up logged off and my final game of the night I was solo.
    So that was great when I took on a squad of 3.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Well apparently capping my fps at 60 through the command line has cleared up all my crashes.
    So if you have random crashes maybe try that.

steam_sig.png
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Rius wrote: »
    It's a three month season, guys, it's not supposed to be complete-able in a few weeks. I got to level 4 tonight just by playing for ~4 hours.

You can get up to 25,000 bonus experience per Legend per week, and if you play with friends after people start getting to level 12 there will be stacking exp multipliers.

I bought the battle pass and have no worries about completing the battle pass this season.

But it's not something I can recommend to my less invested friends because the time investment is way too much. 110 levels in 90 days? I could see that taking 150-200 hours. I understand with other games like Fortnite, their battle passes only require ~25 hours to complete for a season.

Hopefully Respawn is receptive to feedback and learns a lot this season, or their squandering the best opportunity they'll ever have.

edited March 2019
    ronzo wrote: »
    People who treat this as solo game can fuck right off. I don't give a fuck how good you are. Don't hot drop early because I didn't drop where I wanted, and for FUCKS SAKE stop running full speed into engagements when me and the other poor asshole stuck with you are over 300m away.

Icing on that shit cake was quitting right before we recovered his banner. Assholes.

I've had that happen a few times. Once I was sticking with my buddy but the third guy kept running WAY ahead. Never pinged that he was doing so. He ends up getting in a fight and dies, then starts complaining about us being slow and to "pay more attention." It was all I could do to force myself to get his battletag and revive him. We ended up winning my first ever game that match but his bad attitude slightly tainted it =p.

Then last night we landed on the tower near cascades, looted, then went north to loot artillery. The other guy just went south solo and died nearly right away, then started yelling about how we played wrong and it was stupid to go a direction away from the ring and how you need to get in the ring early and setup a defense position and ON AND ON and just wouldn't stop talking. I had to mute the guy in the end =p.

vamen on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It actually feels like I shoot blanks when I use the Wingman. On the other hand I chased around my twitch streamer of a teammate during a game last night and did nothing while he got 7 kills with it.

e: We won and I had a 150 dmg and no kills to my teammates' combined 13. :(

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    finnith wrote: »
    It actually feels like I shoot blanks when I use the Wingman. On the other hand I chased around my twitch streamer of a teammate during a game last night and did nothing while he got 7 kills with it.

Did you hinder the team, or did you stick with them and try to shoot at what they were shooting at, and ping useful things, and maybe get a revive or even provide cover fire for someone else to do a revive?

There are a lot of ways to help that aren't kills and if you're playing with a real slayer then staying out of their way and being helpful might be the best thing you can do.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Well I did a GiS for Wraith because I heard of a really cool cosplay and let's just say Rule 34 is in effect and some of the submissions are... uh... well, creative.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Then last night we landed on the tower near cascades, looted, then went north to loot artillery. The other guy just went south solo and died nearly right away, then started yelling about how we played wrong and it was stupid to go a direction away from the ring and how you need to get in the ring early and setup a defense position and ON AND ON and just wouldn't stop talking. I had to mute the guy in the end =p.

I mean, he wasn't wrong about how you should always be heading in the direction of the ring, but going as a group is much more important than going in the right direction. I mean, if you go the wrong way, the ring will eventually force the issue. There's no such mechanism to punish being spread apart. Except getting shot.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    All the tryhards were out in force last night. I guess it's to be expected with the new season, but none of the randos I got would act rationally, and it was generally a frustrating night. I might give it another day or two to let things cool off.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »

Did you hinder the team, or did you stick with them and try to shoot at what they were shooting at, and ping useful things, and maybe get a revive or even provide cover fire for someone else to do a revive?

There are a lot of ways to help that aren't kills and if you're playing with a real slayer then staying out of their way and being helpful might be the best thing you can do.

They had to revive me like twice but that's cause I dropped my syringes so that the Wraith could heal after her getting knocked early and us dropping literally across the map away from the circle (I did have to revive her that time). I got some hits in but I was mostly running around with crap gear (Alternator and G7 with little in the way of attachments) b/c it was just sooo hard to keep up with Octane.

It probably didn't help that it was 2AM and I've only had like 8 hours of sleep over the past three days. I'm going to try turning down mouse sensitivity though and see if it helps.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
    I don't understand the wavy drop thing. Everyone does it and I have no idea why.

True fact: The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

How is wavy dropping supposed to overcome that?

I don't understand the wavy drop thing. Everyone does it and I have no idea why.

It's not about speed to destination so much as it is about increasing the distance of your jump.

If you can drop from the ship and draw a steep enough diagonal line to your destination (such that you cap out your rate of descent), then yeah, it's the fastest way to get there. But if you want to drop somewhere that's never going to get closer than, say, 1000 yards from the ship, then you need to wavy drop.

If the airship is on a north-south line on the east edge of the map, wavy dropping can get you to land on the west edge of the map. Doing a straight line drop would just get you to the middle of the map.

• FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

You gain speed, and then flatten out to travel horizontally faster. If you just aim at a distance point, you aren't going to be going as fast so you aren't covering the horizontal distance as quickly. You gain speed diving much faster than you lose speed gliding.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Quests would still be cool.

I think they said that these will happen down the line, but for the first season so soon after release they wanted to make it easy for everyone including people who are just coming to the table. So probably next season we'll see those

Aridhol wrote: »
    fucking finally!
    YC91ft5.png

So turns out the secret for me enjoying this game is to do what I always do and be the support person.

Lifeline is my jam for sure.

Lifeline is top tier for sure. Her passive is pretty good, you almost always get value out of her abilities, and her small hit box makes her great in fights.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    yeah lifeline is great because she gets budget phoenix kit by drone dropping + shield battery round corners in half the time, pretty swegerino

and with epic backpack you just snort 40000 healing items per second

obF2Wuw.png
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

I mean, he wasn't wrong about how you should always be heading in the direction of the GUNFIRE but going as a group is much more important than going in the right direction. I mean, if you go the wrong way, the ring will eventually force the issue. There's no such mechanism to punish being spread apart. Except getting shot.

Small change to reflect my play style...

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png