As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    how to apex

1) hear mans
    2) run to mans
    3) fight mans
    4) more mans are summoned
    5) fight those mans
    6) man pile formed
    7) boxes form beautiful cairn in memory
    8) only the serried ranks of gravestones remain
    9) mournful music

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I think a lot of people are way too scared of the ring, especially early on.

You can absolutely loot 2-3 locales pretty easily before the ring starts to close in, and even if it does your odds of running into another group by then (that you haven't run into getting those 2-3 spots before) is very small. At which point the ring is great to be next to the outside of because you can be fairly certain no one will come from behind you.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I don't think they changed the alternator at all but I've been getting a lot of kills with it. It's great early game too because the iron sights are probably the best of all the guns.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I don't get why you'd ever get into a fight you could have avoided. This is battle royal, not deathmatch. You get nothing but a little bit of XP for getting kills. The XP bonus for just living a long time completely dwarfs every other one, including the one for winning.
    TheStig wrote: »
    I don't think they changed the alternator at all but I've been getting a lot of kills with it. It's great early game too because the iron sights are probably the best of all the guns.

It is my goto gun for light ammo. I think I like it better than the R-### guns, even if they are better on paper. No idea why.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I don't get why you'd ever get into a fight you could have avoided. This is battle royal, not deathmatch. You get nothing but a little bit of XP for getting kills. The XP bonus for just living a long time completely dwarfs every other one, including the one for winning.

Okay but if you never get into fights you aren't going to win any fights when you can't avoid them.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

It is my goto gun for light ammo. I think I like it better than the R-### guns, even if they are better on paper. No idea why.

you on console or pc?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Okay but if you never get into fights you aren't going to win any fights when you can't avoid them.

I mean sure, if you know a fight is coming, obviously you want to take it own your own terms. Ambushes are a good thing.

I'm just saying there is no motivation in this game to do anything but survive. That's the premise of the entire genre of game. So I get kind of furious with people leeroy jenkensing into the middle of a squad that didn't even know we were there. It makes no sense.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

I'm guessing the slower rate of fire makes it easier to control which is especially important early game when you're not loaded up with attachments.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited March 2019

you on console or pc?

PC.

I tried playing it on PS4 a bit, but my controller FPS aim is even worse than my M+KB aim (or rather i'm in an even lower percentile since I assume everyone's aim is somewhat worse there).

So until there's some casual modes added I don't think I'm going to bother.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Every squad you kill on your terms is one that can't kill you on theirs

Don't run uphill into a pitched battle between two squads, sure; but definitely go up the other side of the hill until you're on their level and kill the winners.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I mean sure, if you know a fight is coming, obviously you want to take it own your own terms. Ambushes are a good thing.

I'm just saying there is no motivation in this game to do anything but survive. That's the premise of the entire genre of game. So I get kind of furious with people leeroy jenkensing into the middle of a squad that didn't even know we were there. It makes no sense.

I'll take ten matches where we drop hot and trade some blows and kill some folks but end up dying in the first five minutes over three matches where we drop in a quiet spot, spend fifteen-some minutes running around, and then getting instantly smoked by an extremely well-equipped team.

I'll have learned a lot more about how to be better at the game in the first scenario than the second.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Doesn't that ignore that other teams can kill each other?

The absolute ideal game is you don't fight anyone at all until the last squad, and then you beat them and win. Min effort, max reward.

Obviously in practice that's easier said then done because 1) the map is too small to completely avoid everyone, and 2) the last squad is probably better at the game aiming than you are.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I feel like, if you can run around for 15 minutes and not fight anyone, if you are aren't completely geared to gills by that point, you are somehow looting wrong.

edit: I'd prefer if people landed us in quiet places (do those exist?), but I also always relinquish dropmaster, so I obviously don't actually get to have an opinion on where we drop one way or another.

I'm just along for the ride. And I'll keep my judgments to myself. Except I may come in here and rant a bit.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Monkey Ball I hate to say it but this game favors aggro players, albeit smart aggro plays over dumb charges into enemies. Often times waiting too long to engage can kneecap you and allow the enemy to heal/regroup/reposition when you had the advantage but played too reserved to punish the enemy when they were injured/on the defensive

You need to get good at the gunplay combat first and worry about survival tactics second. Once you can gundown enemies reliably, then you can focus on wins, because every single game will end in a #2 place if you don't

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    I feel like, if you can run around for 15 minutes and not fight anyone, if you are aren't completely geared to gills by that point, you are somehow looting wrong.

edit: I'd prefer if people landed us in quiet places (do those exist?), but I also always relinquish dropmaster, so I obviously don't actually get to have an opinion on where we drop one way or another.

I'm just along for the ride. And I'll keep my judgments to myself. Except I may come in here and rant a bit.

Why loot for 15 minutes when I can kill the guys who looted and take their stuff? Often times my biggest loot hauls come not from hotdropping but killing the dudes who did

• Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular

That, or you have one super-geared teammate who is looting whoring constantly.

Last night I literally had a wraith on my team swoop right in front of me, grab every single item out of the supply bin I open, while they ignored the one they dropped right next to. I call them on their bullshit hard, and surprisingly they were fairly contrite, coming to find me to drop a gun at my feet.

Also had a fun match a few game later where two of us went down, third guy clutches, and revives one person, then they both start looting while I’m still bleeding out. Had to be like “hey dudes, what the fuck, I’m still bleeding out and you’re just looting? Hey HEY!!” before they finally noticed.

People focus on the loot too much sometimes. Only time you should be ignoring teammates for loot is when you don’t have a gun, shield, or ammo.

• Options
    I yelled at a guy for grabbing all the guns on the loot ship despite me not having one yet. I was like "did ya have to take both guns?" And he told me to "play faster"

I've never quit so fast in my life

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Doesn't that ignore that other teams can kill each other?

The absolute ideal game is you don't fight anyone at all until the last squad, and then you beat them and win. Min effort, max reward.

Obviously in practice that's easier said then done because 1) the map is too small to completely avoid everyone, and 2) the last squad is probably better at the game than you are.

I will reach the point where I feel confident in engaging with that last squad a lot quicker by having more engagements with enemy squads earlier on in the game than by just holding out to fight that last squad again and again.

You can find stuff on the ground, sure, but as far as stuff left behind on bodies, you only get the leftovers - what the other team didn't want or dropped as they upgraded.

Look, I'm not trying to suggest that your method is like, objectively wrong. But it is antithetical to how I feel one can best learn more about playing the game.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    I agree at first, flinging yourself into fights you have no chance of winning just to learn the gun mechanics makes a kind of sense. Though there is also a tutorial mode for exactly that (I always start sessions in there to warm up anyway).

Heck, maybe that's what some of these randos are actually doing. If they just came out and said that, I'd be in there with them. We all have to start somewhere.

But I've learned the guns and stuff now. I don't think I'm going to get much better at shooting than I am now. Fixing my mouse sensitivity did wonders, but at this point fights don't really teach me much anymore.

Even if I have some ideas about what may have worked better after losing a fight, I have nobody to discuss them with. And unlike every other game I own, my GPU can't quite cope with streaming/capturing apex while also playing it at an acceptable framerate, so I also can't go back and review my footage. These are the main things holding back improvement for me.

edit: To the point I'm considering buying an external capture card, or even breaking out the entire capture process onto another box.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    The kill vs win Battle Royale argument is why BR are so popular

Those of us who play a lot of FPS games somewhat competitively can enjoy running around trying to rack up damage and kills

Those of us who don’t can’t play a smart stealthy intense survival game and try to sneak in wins

Personally i get bored out of my mind if we aren’t fighting 4-5 teams per round. I hate the matches where we land with nobody or my teammates murder them without me really helping, them we don’t see anyone for like 15 min.

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • Options
    Disrupter wrote: »
    The kill vs win Battle Royale argument is why BR are so popular

Those of us who play a lot of FPS games somewhat competitively can enjoy running around trying to rack up damage and kills

Those of us who don’t can’t play a smart stealthy intense survival game and try to sneak in wins

Personally i get bored out of my mind if we aren’t fighting 4-5 teams per round. I hate the matches where we land with nobody or my teammates murder them without me really helping, them we don’t see anyone for like 15 min.

I'm absolutely more in the "survival horror" camp. I have to stop playing sometimes just to give my heartrate a chance to drop to a reasonable level. Any veteran of survival horror games will tell you, the scariest enemies are those you can't even be sure are there.

• Options
    Sometimes it makes all the sense in the world to play reserved. Any game where I'm Solo or Duo because of drops/dead teammates, I'm gonna play a lot more reserved. I managed a second place solo as Octane just by running away from every enemy with my juice. Unfortunately it ended in the predictable 3v1 against me.

• Options
    DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    Yep my favorite win was one which my two buddies got downed instantly against one of the last 3 teams. I backed off and ran away and let the last team push into what they had to assume was a third party easy clean up. I Monitored the kill feed until things looked appropriately messy and ran in and killed the last guy for an easy stolen win

616610-1.png
  • Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I don't understand the wavy drop thing. Everyone does it and I have no idea why.

True fact: The shortest distance between two points is a straight line.

How is wavy dropping supposed to overcome that?

I mean, just try it and see. If you drop in a straight line at an angle shallower than 45 degrees or so, you will slow to a crawl and the teams doing the same drop in a wave motion will get there way faster than you. Guaranteed death if you approach a hot zone that way. The speed number on the left is pretty self explanatory. Good drop technique keeps you around 140, bad technique drops you to 120 or less.

If going in a straight line keeps you at 140+ then you're fine to go straight, though you may still be able to optimize a little more to keep it at 150+.

Zek on
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Focusing on survival over killing the opponents is a great way to get really good at coming in second or third and a bad way to get good at coming in first

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    The smartest play for experienced players is to pick only the fights you're confident you'll win to improve your gear, but otherwise stay alive. You need to balance the risk of the engagement versus the reward for winning. Early game fights have very little reward, and won't get you much you can't find on the ground or in abandoned death boxes, so they aren't worth risking yourself over.

But when you're new to the game it's different, you need to acquire a lot of combat experience before you have a good shot at winning the final battle. So you're better off just getting in non-stop fights to demystify it, both improving your skills and reducing your nerves.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Focusing on survival over killing the opponents is a great way to get really good at coming in second or third and a bad way to get good at coming in first

I mean, while a bit of a blow to the ego, second place is still good for over 3000 xp. It is nothing to sneeze at.

Most BR games I don't expect to ever win. I played fortnite the whole time it was out and never won (I did just stop playing the regular modes after a while, to be fair, so perhaps if I'd continued I'd have won purely by chance)

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Anecdotal Experience: Pathfinder is much more survivable post-patch, the hitbox changes seem to have really, really helped. Plus the extended grapple range is amazing for getting even bigger swing boost launches. I don’t feel like a partial liability to my team anymore.

The could probably still stand to add more circle antennas. Maybe bump it to 15. They always show up in the same spots, and sometimes I’ll start going for one before I realize it’s missing. Maybe bias it to have more on the out edge of the map?

• Options
    Zek wrote: »
    The smartest play for experienced players is to pick only the fights you're confident you'll win to improve your gear, but otherwise stay alive. You need to balance the risk of the engagement versus the reward for winning. Early game fights have very little reward, and won't get you much you can't find on the ground or in abandoned death boxes, so they aren't worth risking yourself over.

But when you're new to the game it's different, you need to acquire a lot of combat experience before you have a good shot at winning the final battle. So you're better off just getting in non-stop fights to demystify it, both improving your skills and reducing your nerves.

I agree. Just, you know, be polite enough let people know that is what you are doing and that is why you are doing it.

• Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular

I mean, while a bit of a blow to the ego, second place is still good for over 3000 xp. It is nothing to sneeze at.

Most BR games I don't expect to ever win. I played fortnite the whole time it was out and never won (I did just stop playing the regular modes after a while, to be fair, so perhaps if I'd continued I'd have won purely by chance)
    XP is pointless. It's just a number going up that means nothing. It doesn't earn you badges that are reflective of achievements and it doesn't actually measure you getting better at the game.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    I just got a win with 2 randos in 12 minutes and four seconds what the fuck

The best part is, one of the randos balloon'd into the zone straight into an enemy team, died, and left the game while we balloon'd a different way to circle around and loot his banner.

We looted his corpse instead, then went towards the next circle undoubtedly following in the enemy team's footsteps and wandered into a 5 way squad battle. We lingered on the periphery, throwing in grenades and laying down smoke to increase confusion. I had an EV-8 with a digital threat scope and a purple refire rate thing, so I just kept peeking corners and shooting anything red through the layers of smoke.

The fracas continued until there were 3 squads left. My teammate killed someone to take it down to 2 squads left, and I found a Mirage as the smoke finally started to dissipate. I just AD'd in and out of cover, hitting him with shotgun rounds, until he died and that was it, we were Champions. There were still like six circles left.

It happened so fast I didn't even think to record the last minute, lol.

• Options
    Spectrum wrote: »

XP is pointless. It's just a number going up that means nothing. It doesn't earn you badges that are reflective of achievements and it doesn't actually measure you getting better at the game.

this is completely innumerate mathematics tells us that bigger numbers are better than smaller numbers and therefore,

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    XP does get you cosmetics and trackers and such, which is nice.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    XP is literally the only thing I care about. Partially because it is almost entirely a reflection of survival time.

Things that seem to be rewarded with poor amounts of XP relative to their difficulty:
    * Kills
    * Damage
    * Winning
    * Reviving Teammates

Things that seem to be rewarded with enormous amounts of XP relative to their difficulty:
    * Survival Time
    * Resurrecting Teammates
    * Top 3

edit: Okay that's not entirely true. I also prefer to have at least 100 damage output. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but that's my baseline. That's one fight where I actually helped, or two fights where I was technically present.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
  • Options
  • Options
    Dark080matterDark080matter CrateriaRegistered User regular
    this is completely innumerate mathematics tells us that bigger numbers are better than smaller numbers and therefore,

These hurtful statements are an insult to the ordinally-challenged and moreover threaten the fragile cease-fire and peace we bled for, thanks to the Integer Accords of 1234. Take it back, you Addition-ableist!

• Options
    Strictly speaking the only objective BR has is to win, so whatever maximizes your win/loss ratio is the "correct" strategy. But in practice it's just a matter of doing what you find fun. Losing fast does let you restart fast, and in pubs I find it's good to confirm your team can actually win a fight first before you start playing too cautiously.

• Options
    Strictly speaking the only objective BR has is to win, so whatever maximizes your win/loss ratio is the "correct" strategy. But in practice it's just a matter of doing what you find fun. Losing fast does let you restart fast, and in pubs I find it's good to confirm your team can actually win a fight first before you start playing too cautiously.

you win in apex by going the fastest im pretty sure

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    XP is literally the only thing I care about. Partially because it is almost entirely a reflection of survival time.

Things that seem to be rewarded with poor amounts of XP relative to their difficulty:
    * Kills
    * Damage
    * Winning
    * Reviving Teammates

Things that seem to be rewarded with enormous amounts of XP relative to their difficulty:
    * Survival Time
    * Resurrecting Teammates
    * Top 3

edit: Okay that's not entirely true. I also prefer to have at least 100 damage output. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but that's my baseline. That's one fight where I actually helped, or two fights where I was technically present.
    Except if you want to do the calculation right, you need to do XP/time expenditure.

I'm pretty sure that if you do it that way, you'll find the way to maximize your XP is to instead hotdrop into Skull Town every round and keep dying in 2 minute matches.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options

Those of use that are just bad at FPS games generally, in the game-agnostic way that can not be improved by simply playing a game more, have to find our own fun.

BR games would be absolutely intolerable if it where not for the nearly instant requeue. If I had to put up with Overwatch style queues that last 1-3 minutes, I would just stop playing.