As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    We just say vagina and penis.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yeah we had to have the "not everything is a butt" disambiguation conversation with our girls last year when one of them had a yeast infection and we needed to identify where things hurt with a little more specificity. We settled on "vagina," which is technically incorrect, but we couldn't settle on a satisfactory slang term and honestly nobody uses the word vulva.

Edit: Disambiguation Conversation is the title of my new web series, please like and subscribe.

Peen on
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    "not everything is a butt"

Skeptical

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    We use the word "penis" with my son, but he's started using "wee wee" because he's in school now. :P Hasn't come up with my daughter yet, although I'm sure she is familiar with both of those words to some degree. He actually uses "wee wee" for hers too, which honestly I think I'm okay with because that really is the primary use for both at this age. We can get more specific later. I'm not going to whip out diagrams for kids under 8.. although frankly I probably will at 8. That might be early according to most people, but maybe it's better to get to them before school does. I don't know what sex ed is like here, and right now he goes to a private school so lord knows. I remember I had it in 6th grade but not a single person in health class took it seriously.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    We use the word "penis" with my son, but he's started using "wee wee" because he's in school now. :P Hasn't come up with my daughter yet, although I'm sure she is familiar with both of those words to some degree. He actually uses "wee wee" for hers too, which honestly I think I'm okay with because that really is the primary use for both at this age. We can get more specific later. I'm not going to whip out diagrams for kids under 8.. although frankly I probably will at 8. That might be early according to most people, but maybe it's better to get to them before school does. I don't know what sex ed is like here, and right now he goes to a private school so lord knows. I remember I had it in 6th grade but not a single person in health class took it seriously.

And depending on the local environment, sex ed varies wildly. We had a friend who went to a school that my bus drove past to get to, and she had no idea about a lot of the physiological changes that her body had/was going through when we met her in college.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    Point of serious order, teaching teens about puberty and their own bodies is not sex education and those things should not be lumped together.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Oh this is probably a good time to mention this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-Stork-Families-Friends/dp/0763633313

Great book. Really explains things that a pre-k or kindergarten kid can understand without going into too much unnecessary detail. Highly recommend.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    When I was a child, tush or tushy was the word for female genitals (I'm Canadian btw) and then Right Said Fred's I'm Too Sexy came out and he would shake his tush on the catwalk and we were like WHAT

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Earlier this week at preschool, Abigail's teacher taught the class how to meditate to calm themselves down. I'm not sure Abigail got the concept down:

1fvz6e7yglxh.jpg

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    My kid last year went through a program that does this stuff really well called: Our Whole Lives.

It's technically run through a church (though Unitarians basically believe you're free to believe whatever you want, so it's not preachy at all), but it does a good job of giving kids age-appropriate information on bodies, appropriate vs inappropriate touching, sex etc at various stages starting at 5-6 years old. It was a really good experience for us, and the 5-6 year old program was just basic naming, the 1000 foot view of sex, enough information to know when someone is touching you inappropriately and should get help, and stuff like that.

The further classes obviously go more into puberty, increasing details on sex, STDs and all that. I'm totally putting her in the next one if possible.

El Skid on
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    As a child of 6 I was once taken aside by a friend and told, conspiratorially, that girls have a po-po and boys have a humma-humma.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Everybody is sick

Mom is sick (and working anyways because she has to), dad is sick with a sinus infection, baby gives no fucks whatsoever

He ate seven (7) ounces, got a clean diaper with butt cream, Mylicon, burped, held and rocked, and given his binkie

No goddamn dice

Mom won’t be back home until after 9 sometime and it’s been a harrowing nightmare of alternately screaming and constant vigilant care

If I look at the TV just to do something other than stare deeply into his eyes and whisper to him that I love him he starts freaking out

So now? Now we CIO. He’s 6 months old, I am given to understand that this is the time to start

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    There's books called Where Did I Come From? and What's Happening To Me? that are basically in damn near every household in Australia it would seem. They are designed and written for kids, with drawn illustrations rather than photos. IIRC they were written in like the 1960s or something so they don't cover anything other than standard biological conception and reproduction (no artificial insemination, caesarian section, or surrogacy or anything like that), but from what I remember from reading them when I was a kid, they're probably still pretty okay as a starting point?

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Is there a book that teaches kids about how the universe is vast and uncaring, we'll never escape this rock before the sun expands and consumes all we know, and our lives will mean nothing in the end?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Anya is sick, had a bad cough last night and has a fever today. Thankfully it's been low-ish so far (around 99-100 - not great but not super high), so hopefully she bounces back quick.

Niko was driving both of us nuts last night. He was still awake at like 11 despite @Janson just quietly lying down with him and reading, and then as he was falling asleep at MIDNIGHT he started complaining that his diaper was wet and he needed it to be changed. I mean, good that he recognizes it, but dang, either stop needing a diaper or just wear it, kid.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    @joshofalltrades My understanding is that CIO is more about how the baby/parents are handling it, and the age thing is more don't start before this and then just go hog. But honestly, no one who already has a baby has enough energy to read the damn books, and no one else will explain anything, instead just saying "read the book".

IIRC, around 6 months most babies have developed enough to manage self soothing.

My daughter had a cleft palate and really bad reflux, so we probably coddled her a lot more than we might otherwise, but also, if babs is fed/clean/safe, crying isn't going to hurt him/her, and as long as the sound doesn't make you feel worse, you can just set them in a safe place and step back for a few minutes.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I finally understand why dads are all about waking up super early. It's the only way I can be left alone for a few hours to play videogames. 6am is my new shit.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Is there a book that teaches kids about how the universe is vast and uncaring, we'll never escape this rock before the sun expands and consumes all we know, and our lives will mean nothing in the end?

Pretty close, I think.
    41carZiACoL._SX374_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    I finally understand why dads are all about waking up super early. It's the only way I can be left alone for a few hours to play videogames. 6am is my new shit.

I can only do this at night after everyone's thoroughly burned themself out. I swear, my eldest can hear the sound of a clicking controller from a full floor away and will bust out of nowhere like the Kool-Aid man, even at 4,5 in the morning

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Earlier this week at preschool, Abigail's teacher taught the class how to meditate to calm themselves down. I'm not sure Abigail got the concept down:
    1fvz6e7yglxh.jpg

"I am going to meditate SO HARD!!

Look at HOW PEACEFUL I AM!!!"

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Ugh I’m sorry, josh. I hope you all feel better soon!

We use penis and vagina. I tried teaching Anya to use vulva but as was said, no one uses that word, so social norms prevailed.

I guess the key with Anya and reading really is to leave her alone. Her grandpa bought her a Roald Dahl collection yesterday and she already completed two of the books. I quizzed her on one to see if she’d actually read it and not just skimmed through and she gave me a decent synopsis.

edited March 2019
    Happy World Down Syndrome Day!

On this day seven years ago my littlest girl was born!

y0v6a4cv9mcq.jpg

She's not so little now. Happy Birthday kiddo!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    meta post warning:

It is very weird to me, but also good, that I started these SE parent threads 8 and a half years ago, so I remember celebrating the births of some of these kids and they're friggin turning 7 and I am an old.

edited March 2019
    Yeah it seems like only yesterday I was so excited because Mori and Janson were expecting their first at around the same time.

Now they've got two awesome kids!

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    My little baby can ride a scooter. When did that happen!? Stop growing!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh my gosh how in the world is Lily 7 already!?!?

That's just amazing! Happy Birthday, Lily!

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Happy birthday Lily!!!

Niko was protesting his bath tonight... Mori’s mom suggested it was because he knows that bedtime comes after bathtime, and sure enough, as soon as I said he could stay up after his bath, he readily agreed to one.

Anya has also been protesting her daily shower lately. I sometimes let her just wash her feet and face instead.

edited March 2019
    Bathing for my 11 year old have been a struggle in recent years. She's always finding an excuse to put them off. But now that she's a pre-teen she's getting more frequent reminders.

The whole thing probably started when she was Anya's age.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It's been kind of a struggle getting the kids to bed lately, but I've started reading The Wee Free Men to them in the evening lately, partly to introduce Anya to more advanced books (she reads fine on her own - but when she's read TOO she wants simple books more appropriate to 2-3 year-olds. I told her very firmly that if she can read those herself and I wasn't going to), but partly to get them a little relaxed for bedtime before @Janson comes in and puts them to bed.

Anyway, Anya's mostly been amenable to this change, but Niko has been very insistent about how 'boring' being read to is. It's been frustrating enough that sometimes I've just given up. Tonight, though, I read him a few books of his choice tonight and then said we were going to read Anya's book for a while. He was actually fine with that and... actually fell asleep ridiculously quickly. Normally by the time it's bedtime they're both fairly bouncing off the walls, but he was asleep! Either my voice is soothing enough to lull him to sleep or the book really is boring and it put him to sleep. Either way I'm counting it as a victory!

Please tell me you do exaggerated voices when dictating the Nac Mac Feegle parts. If you don't, I highly recommend copying the audio book narrator's version.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Please tell me you do exaggerated voices when dictating the Nac Mac Feegle parts. If you don't, I highly recommend copying the audio book narrator's version.

My problem is remembering today what voice I chose to do yesterday.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    For the past couple of weeks Burpette has been having nightmares. Which means she springs into our room and tries to climb into bed with us, where she'll generally thrash about kicking us until it's time to get out of bed.

Last night this started at 11:30pm rather than the usual 3-4am. We put her back in her bed a couple of times but she'd come back after half an hour or so.

I'm a little tired this morning. She seemed fine but when asked what was going on just said that Zog had been keeping her awake by playing in her bed when she was trying to sleep.

I wonder if we should get her a nightlight.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular

That's pretty good. I mix up voices halfway through the same story sometimes.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I love doing voices. My biggest workouts have been reading The Hobbit and The Day the Crayons Quit/Came Home.

"Daddy, how do you know what all the crayons sound like?"

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos

Gotta find that consistency in voice. Stephen Briggs was magical in the audiobook. You can listen to a sample of his perfect narration here, by using the preview here:

irxilfuhguhi.png

If/when I read the Discworld stuff to the kids I will 100% try to perfect these voices. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I don’t do voices, no, because even when just reading to my kids I feel awkward doing voices.

Moriveth wrote: »
    I don’t do voices, no, because even when just reading to my kids I feel awkward doing voices.

That's fair, voices aren't for everyone. Of course I do voices all the time because I'm a grown-up man child who can't be serious. :)

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Just wanted to share with you folks. As you might know, my son is 14 now and my niece is in college. We realized the last time we traveled without kids for more than just a one night hotel from a concert was about 10 years ago.

To rectify that, we bought tickets to a concert in Vegas that was on my bucket list and took a 4 night mini vacation with Mrs. Lohan's mother staying with Luke back home. I can't begin tell you how great it was for us. For one thing, my wife is a teacher in the same area we live in, so she always feels like she has to watch her behavior. Flip off another car? Probably a coworker. Have a few too many at the bar? Probably a parent serving you and you'll find out at the next parent/teacher conferences. Just to be able to get out, drink, be ourselves, and not really have any worries other than making sure we're having fun was absolutely amazing and I highly recommend it. Even if flying across the country to see your favorite British pop star isn't in the budget - just get away sometime. We should have done this much sooner.

With that said, we didn't gamble foolishly - but we did do one thing a bit on the foolish side:
    6wpotuzh08nh.jpg
    ty524zldog7m.jpg

Confession: The pictures from this turned out better than our actual wedding pictures that her photographer dad had taken, so we ended up buying a bunch.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I have a friend who did the same thing in Vegas a year or so ago. Seems to have been the same place too. Looks like fun!

This discussion has been closed.