As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NFL] Thread: Pittsburgh At Cleveland? There Is No Dog.

• HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    Hey Johnny Football, maybe third time's (league) the charm?

Adam Schefter is an ESPN mouthpiece and "journalist".

camo_sig2.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So in another development that will prove footbaw prognosticators and other assorted sports turds don't know what they talk about, Cole Beasley decided to sign with Buffalo as a free agent. Meaning that Dak 'No Touch' Prescott's primary target is Amari Cooper and the secondary target is an older-by-two-years Witten. Probably still predicted to win the division with 13-3 and get a first round bye. (But perhaps Garrett starts the season 0-3, gets fired, and they promote Kellen Moore to be head coach because why not?)

Anyway, that's not what this post is really all about. It's about Beasley's response to a Dallas fan about why he chose Buffalo over New England.

Your mistake is assuming the patriots are gonna win every year.

I'm beginning to think he 'chose' Buffalo.

Cole Beasley counting out Touchdown Tom?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I think Beasley is trying to make it seem less like he was rejected by New England but that they just didn't meet his high standards. Begging the question about why he thinks Buffalo has a greater chance to win over even Dallas.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I think Beasley is trying to make it seem less like he was rejected by New England but that they just didn't meet his high standards. Begging the question about why he thinks Buffalo has a greater chance to win over even Dallas.

Someday science will be able to explain how stupid he is, but that day is not today.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    So in another development that will prove footbaw prognosticators and other assorted sports turds don't know what they talk about, Cole Beasley decided to sign with Buffalo as a free agent. Meaning that Dak 'No Touch' Prescott's primary target is Amari Cooper and the secondary target is an older-by-two-years Witten. Probably still predicted to win the division with 13-3 and get a first round bye. (But perhaps Garrett starts the season 0-3, gets fired, and they promote Kellen Moore to be head coach because why not?)

Anyway, that's not what this post is really all about. It's about Beasley's response to a Dallas fan about why he chose Buffalo over New England.

I think there's a problem with his theory.
    \

No, Cole. We're not assuming the Patriots are gonna win every year.

We just think that the Bills, Dolphins and Jets will LOSE every year.

We're just confident that the rest of the AFC East will be a raging dumpsterfire.

Since at least the realignment in 2002, the Patriots have never not had a winning season in the Division. They've had 7x4-2 records within the division, 8x5-1 and a pair of 6-0.

And none of those 4-2 records counted a single sweep of the Patriots. Cole's new Bills have a 4-30 record against the Patriots over the last 17 years. I think you'ld be hard pressed to find a divisional matchup that lopsided.

Just checked, and the perpetually hapless Browns went 10-22 (2-0)* against the Bengals, 7-25 (1-1)* against the Ravens, and 4-28 (1-0-1)* against the Steelers, in the same timeframe.
    * I excluded last year's totals from the results, because I didn't want to mix the scrappy in with the crappy. If you include last year, then they're even better.

So, sure, Cole. Maybe we'd have more faith in the AFC East stopping the Patriots if there were any kind of hint that they're up for the task. And nothing I've seen of their front office or roster has me thinking that's going to change, even if Brady is a shell of his former self.

For the record, it pisses me off. I want the Patriots to lose. I want them to fall off. But I have zero faith it'll be any of the chucklefucks in the AFC East.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Someday science will be able to explain how stupid he is, but that day is not today.

He did go to SMU.

Washington has decided Erick Flowers is the missing piece to their OL puzzle. How could Gettleman let him go?

Washington has decided Erick Flowers is the missing piece to their OL puzzle. How could Gettleman let him go?

My favorite part of that particular story is this...

So, not only are they getting a turnstile for $4M, they're giving up a sixth round pick. Not much, but arguably a better value than Flowers.

I can just imagine the QB room.

Gruden "Keenum, you're going to be the starting QB."
    McCoy "YES!"
    Keenum "Awww, damn." *signs injury insurance policy*

The A Bort Button arrives in Los Angeles.
    2014-09-24-Henne3.png

Sean McVey is now officially a SUPERGENIUS.

(Chad Henne is currently the backup in Kansas City. He replaced Yo Gabbert Gabbert who was released when Tennessee obtained Tannehill for a box of game worn jocks.)

Raiders sign Vontaze Burfict.

So, now the biggest asshole at a Raiders game is no longer someone in the crowd, or even the one with a headset.

I'm sure, given their history, the Raiders newest wideout, is thrilled at the news at sharing the same lockerroom with this dipshit. Granted, it does mean he no longer has to be on the field across from Vontaze on game day, instead, just any first team practices.

Glad to see Gruden's position on the kind of people in the locker room he'll accept, get solidified. A diva like Brown, and a dipshit like Burfict.

Lisa Simpson was right. "Well, I like the 49ers because they're pure of heart, Seattle because they got something to prove, and the Raiders because they always cheat."

A commitment to excellence.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

\

We're just confident that the rest of the AFC East will be a raging dumpsterfire.

Since at least the realignment in 2002, the Patriots have never not had a winning season in the Division. They've had 7x4-2 records within the division, 8x5-1 and a pair of 6-0.

And none of those 4-2 records counted a single sweep of the Patriots. Cole's new Bills have a 4-30 record against the Patriots over the last 17 years. I think you'ld be hard pressed to find a divisional matchup that lopsided.

Just checked, and the perpetually hapless Browns went 10-22 (2-0)* against the Bengals, 7-25 (1-1)* against the Ravens, and 4-28 (1-0-1)* against the Steelers, in the same timeframe.
    * I excluded last year's totals from the results, because I didn't want to mix the scrappy in with the crappy. If you include last year, then they're even better.

So, sure, Cole. Maybe we'd have more faith in the AFC East stopping the Patriots if there were any kind of hint that they're up for the task. And nothing I've seen of their front office or roster has me thinking that's going to change, even if Brady is a shell of his former self.

For the record, it pisses me off. I want the Patriots to lose. I want them to fall off. But I have zero faith it'll be any of the chucklefucks in the AFC East.

Hey now, Miami is rebuilding and Toms arm has to go at sometime. Maybe the stars will align

RickRude wrote: »

\

Hey now, Miami is rebuilding and Toms arm has to go at sometime. Maybe the stars will align

Miami is rebuilding? Sure. In the same way Buffalo is. The Jets are the only one of the three that seem like they're trying to make inroads, and I fully expect all three to be in the 6-8 win season this year.

Yeah, Brady will eventually falter, but I will take even idds it won't significantly change the outcome as long as Belichick is there. Because even though I hate him, he IS the best Coach since at least the merger.

Cole could be right. This could be the year. But until I see something beyond words to make me think it's this year, I'll put my imaginary money on the Pats to win the division again.

\

Miami is rebuilding? Sure. In the same way Buffalo is. The Jets are the only one of the three that seem like they're trying to make inroads, and I fully expect all three to be in the 6-8 win season this year.

Yeah, Brady will eventually falter, but I will take even idds it won't significantly change the outcome as long as Belichick is there. Because even though I hate him, he IS the best Coach since at least the merger.

Cole could be right. This could be the year. But until I see something beyond words to make me think it's this year, I'll put my imaginary money on the Pats to win the division again.

We got rid of tanahill and a few vets, and are looking for a qb in 19 or 20 draft. I'd say they're looking at the 2021 2022 seasons to compete as of right now.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The AFCE is trash

So much trash

Is that a new footbaw league starting up?

\

We got rid of tanahill and a few vets, and are looking for a qb in 19 or 20 draft. I'd say they're looking at the 2021 2022 seasons to compete as of right now.

And hey, that's a necessary start. My point is, they (and the Jets and the Bills) have been repeating that same cycle now every couple years for most of the last two decades. And while it's one thing to have hope that THIS time things will turn around, I think it's premature to EXPECT that this time will be different, until the Dolphins (and Jets and Bills) show they're capable of a front office building a team that has the potential to do something, and capable of executing it on the field.

And it's not like they've got a lot of potential to build. This year, they've got the standard 7 picks, all about midway through the round (13th in the first), plus an extra lottery ticket (7th round for the Tannehill trade). Next year the position is obviously dependent, but they've only got another 7th (KC for Jordan Lucas), and an extra 4th for Tannehill. So, it's not like they're likely to move up this year without mortgaging the future, and if they bust this season for 2020, if they don't hit on a superstar, that's a further lost season.

Since the year Andrew Luck (and Russell Wilson in the same year) was recruited, there have been about 80 QB's drafted. Of that, maybe a dozen are legitimate starters, let alone playoff calibre, and at least half aren't even first backup quality, if they're even in the league. So, that's a massive risk, that the Dolphins (+J+B) have shown no real capacity to predict.

Couple that with Miami at the least entering the season with one of the worst salary cap situations in the league. Not sure how that shakes out after punting Tannehill, but having spent all that money to be thoroughly mediocre, doesn't speak well.

Ironically, it's the Dolphin's mediocrity (and the structure of the draft) that's their biggest problem for the Dolphins. Since taking Jake Long first in 2008, they've drafted twice in the top 10 (Tannehill who was mediocre at 8, and Dion Jordan at 3, who they traded up for, and did nothing for them, spending most of his tenure there suspended or benched). They've played well enough, and spent both currency and picks (rather than banking them) well enough to be mediocre enough to stop them from getting any better.

Hope I'm wrong. Hope one or more of the three dethrone the Pats. Not betting on it though. Not without seeing something resembling a plan, on and off the field, first.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    .And it's not like they've got a lot of potential to build. This year, they've got the standard 7 picks, all about midway through the round (13th in the first), plus an extra lottery ticket (7th round for the Tannehill trade).

If it were not for the Miami Miracle, the Dolphins would have a top ten pick this year.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    .And it's not like they've got a lot of potential to build. This year, they've got the standard 7 picks, all about midway through the round (13th in the first), plus an extra lottery ticket (7th round for the Tannehill trade).

If it were not for the Miami Miracle, the Dolphins would have a top ten pick this year.

Cost them 5 spots in the draft, cost the Pats... nothing. Bill playing six-dimensional chess yet again.

Madpoet on
    Here's a few stories about NFL footbaw:

The FCC received complaints when shitty Maroon 5 band leader removed his shitty shirt and showed his shitty naked torso. Not as many as when that terrible slut, Janet Jackson, ruined the sanctity and purity of footbaw with a brief glimpse of nipple jewelry. But some people noticed. And some are probably genuine complaints. But this one was on point:
    It is ridiculous that Janet Jackson was forced to issue an apology, and CBS fined, over the accidental exposure of her nipple at the 2004 halftime show, but Adam Levine took his shirt off for part of his performance at the 2019 halftime show. CBS should be fined. Otherwise it is a complete double standard.
    Here's a spoilered tweet showing a picture. NSFW!
    By the way, how shitty was the reaction to Jackson? Les Moonves, president of CBS, went out of his way to ruin her career.
    Moonves, however, was convinced it wasn’t a malfunction, but rather an intentional bid to stir up controversy. Moonves has been open about the fact that the incident caused him embarrassment, and he told sources who spoke to me that Jackson, in his mind, was not sufficiently repentant.

[...]

Moonves ordered Viacom properties VH1 and MTV, and all Viacom-owned radio stations, to stop playing Jackson’s songs and music videos. The move had a huge impact on sales of her album “Damita Jo,” which was released in March 2004, just a month after the Super Bowl.

[...]

Seven years after the 2004 incident, Moonves told several sources he was furious when he found out Jackson had signed a book deal with Simon & Schuster for her book True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself. Simon & Schuster is owned by the CBS Corporation.

“How the fuck did she slip through?” Moonves asked while recounting the story to a source who spoke to me. He told another source that heads were going to roll as a result of the deal.
    Want to hate Moonves even more? He's negotiating a nine digit exit package in the wake of sexual harrassment alegations. Also, he famously said this about the 2016 Trump coverage:
    It may not be good for America, but it's damn good for CBS
    Go fuck yourself, moonbeam.

Footbaw! Stupid Coaching Tricks Edition!

Chucky had this to say about recently released WR Jordy Nelson:
    Jon Gruden on Jordy Nelson on December 28, after the Raiders gave him a $3.6 million bonus early for cap purposes. “Yeah, he’ll be back.”
    He had also stated back in August:
    “I think there’s a lot of guys that are like him in different sports that are able to play at a high level no matter how old they are,” Gruden said of Nelson on Wednesday. “I think he’s proven that since he’s been here. I was really pleased with him today. He’s a difference-maker for us.”
    He also really, really liked Hackenberg that he acquired him and then cut him before camp ever started.
    SUUUUPERGENIUS!

The “get back” coach of the LA Rams, Ted Rath, has just entered a not guilty plea to 3 counts of sexual battery. The Rams say Rath is on a leave of absence.

Elway’s 1st stated reason for wanting Flacco was “he plays under center.” He doesn’t like college QBs because they “play a lot more in shotgun.”

NFL avg the last 3 yrs is 79% snaps from shotgun. Flacco was 80% shotgun last yr, 73% last 3 yrs.

Why the irrational shotgun hate?

Joe 'Elite' Flacco has never been selected for the Pro Bowl. The only pro awards he's ever won was Super Bowl MVP (which they almost always give to the winning QB whatever happens in the game) and the Pepsi ROY which is 'selected by fans through an online voting process at NFL.com'.

Way to go, John!

• BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    There's plenty to disparage about Flacco but I think the Super Bowl MVP was pretty legit. Dude just managed to get red hot at the exact right time: 4 playoff games right when his contract was expiring.

Is Elway just hellbent on finding John Elway Jr?

Madpoet wrote: »
    Shadowhope wrote: »

Cost them 5 spots in the draft, cost the Pats... nothing. Bill playing six-dimensional chess yet again.

And for dolphins fans, it was so worth it.

• kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »

Johnny football is going to be that overweight guy at the bar in 30 years moaning about what could have been and how he was robbed.

Bobble wrote: »
    There's plenty to disparage about Flacco but I think the Super Bowl MVP was pretty legit. Dude just managed to get red hot at the exact right time: 4 playoff games right when his contract was expiring.

Sure. But all the SBMVP proves is that he was situationally fortunate.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »

Sure. But all the SBMVP proves is that he was situationally fortunate.

The real mvp of that game was New Orleans poor power infrastructure #itwasaninsidejob

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    kaid wrote: »

Johnny football is going to be that overweight guy at the bar in 30 years moaning about what could have been and how he was robbed.

21nctuexib2v.png

SeñorAmor wrote: »

21nctuexib2v.png

We'll always have the XFL, Ilsa.

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular

He’ll be Al Bundy talking about his four touchdown game as he sizes women for their work shoes.

• marajimaraji Registered User regular
    jmcdonald wrote: »

He’ll be Al Bundy talking about his four touchdown game as he sizes women for their work shoes.

There’s a Rex Ryan joke in there somewhere, but I’m just not able to lace it up.

Maybe I should walk that back.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I maintain that Elway is just looking for another Peyton Manning. Maybe he's looking at the current field of FA and draftees and figures he can't quite build a winning team that will both pay off in the next 1-3 years and also last a while, so he's just going with the quick pay off, figuring he can surround Flacco with guys that will get him another ring in another year or two.

I don't think he's figuring correctly, but I think that's his logic. He wants both short term and long term success, and figures he's better off focusing on the former for right now.

And I think that just like last time they made this move it was only really a "5 year plan" the same holds true with this one, and they'll be right back where they are today. The long term hope of course is that the moves they make for Flacco help in the long run as well, and they they find an Aaron Rodgers type who can sit back and learn from (let's be honest), a solid, career QB, and benefit from that experience.

I'd say Flacco is no Brett Favre, but their career rating is within 2 percentage points, and rating as a playoff QB, Flacco is higher. And while Flacco may be "Captain Checkdown," he's got a career yards-per-attempt that's only 0.4yds lower than Favre had, nearly the same completion percentage, comparable win percentage (0.589% vs Favre's 0.624%), and honestly, who would you rather have as a mentor to your next QB? A guy known for checkdowns, or a guy known for Interceptions?

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • marajimaraji Registered User regular
    I maintain that Elway is just looking for another Peyton Manning. Maybe he's looking at the current field of FA and draftees and figures he can't quite build a winning team that will both pay off in the next 1-3 years and also last a while, so he's just going with the quick pay off, figuring he can surround Flacco with guys that will get him another ring in another year or two.

I don't think he's figuring correctly, but I think that's his logic. He wants both short term and long term success, and figures he's better off focusing on the former for right now.

And I think that just like last time they made this move it was only really a "5 year plan" the same holds true with this one, and they'll be right back where they are today. The long term hope of course is that the moves they make for Flacco help in the long run as well, and they they find an Aaron Rodgers type who can sit back and learn from (let's be honest), a solid, career QB, and benefit from that experience.

I'd say Flacco is no Brett Favre, but their career rating is within 2 percentage points, and rating as a playoff QB, Flacco is higher. And while Flacco may be "Captain Checkdown," he's got a career yards-per-attempt that's only 0.4yds lower than Favre had, nearly the same completion percentage, comparable win percentage (0.589% vs Favre's 0.624%), and honestly, who would you rather have as a mentor to your next QB? A guy known for checkdowns, or a guy known for Interceptions?

Also, Flacco’s numbers are hurt by having Torrey Smith as his deep threat for several years, as PI doesn’t count (iirc).

John Elway, the tall, white, strong-armed QB wants tall, white, strong-armed QBs. There's no mystery. And he literally stated that QBs have to fit the system rather than making adjustments for the QB you have. No fucking wonder you have no success at that position!

Elway is part of the sports turd generation that needs to die off and go away to let the people who are trying to learn things about making better choices.

He also lost this game:
    https://youtu.be/mfebpLfAt8g

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    That Warren Sharp tweet is about how shitty Elway is, not Flacco , yeah

• RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Looking at the Superbowl champions list for the last 40 years, it has been utterly dominated by tall, stand-in-the-pocket type quarterbacks. Nothing revolutionary here.

edited March 2019
    Martin County Sheriff says that the surveillance videos of Kraft and others may, eventually, be released.
    New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft really doesn’t want the public to be able to see videos that prosecutors say show him getting sexual services in a Florida spa for cash — but the case’s top cop expects that salacious footage eventually will be given to the media and others.

“I do think ultimately they are probably going to get released,” Martin County Sheriff William Snyder told CNBC on Thursday, a day after Kraft moved to keep police surveillance videos of him sealed.

“Once a case is over, it’s not an ongoing investigation,” Snyder said. “There has to be a specific reason not to release a public record. And the fact that there is sexual activity is not an exemption.”

[...]

Police had installed hidden cameras in five of eight spas as part of the investigation.

Some of those cameras, according to court records, captured Kraft receiving sexual services from two women at the Orchids of Asia Day Spa in Jupiter, Florida, on Jan. 19. A day later, authorities say, he received services from another woman — just hours before he watched his Patriots win the AFC Championship in Kansas City, Missouri.

[...]

But Snyder said he would follow Florida’s open-records law once the case has been closed — and he expects that authorities who are responsible for Kraft’s case would do likewise.

“The question is if they plead guilty and the case goes away, will it be subject to public record?” Snyder said. “I think the answer is likely yes.”

“But until then there is a court order that seals those files,” Snyder added.

[...]

Snyder said he has seen some of the illegal activity captured on video, which he described as “explicit sexual and graphic.”

“I watched and just left the room,” he said. “There is nothing to see. It’s pretty ugly.”

The short of it is that until the case is settled, the videos are to remain undisclosed. But afterwards...

Santa Claustrophobia on
    Martin County Sheriff says that the surveillance videos of Kraft and others may, eventually, be released.
    New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft really doesn’t want the public to be able to see videos that prosecutors say show him getting sexual services in a Florida spa for cash — but the case’s top cop expects that salacious footage eventually will be given to the media and others.

“I do think ultimately they are probably going to get released,” Martin County Sheriff William Snyder told CNBC on Thursday, a day after Kraft moved to keep police surveillance videos of him sealed.

“Once a case is over, it’s not an ongoing investigation,” Snyder said. “There has to be a specific reason not to release a public record. And the fact that there is sexual activity is not an exemption.”

[...]

Police had installed hidden cameras in five of eight spas as part of the investigation.

Some of those cameras, according to court records, captured Kraft receiving sexual services from two women at the Orchids of Asia Day Spa in Jupiter, Florida, on Jan. 19. A day later, authorities say, he received services from another woman — just hours before he watched his Patriots win the AFC Championship in Kansas City, Missouri.

[...]

But Snyder said he would follow Florida’s open-records law once the case has been closed — and he expects that authorities who are responsible for Kraft’s case would do likewise.

“The question is if they plead guilty and the case goes away, will it be subject to public record?” Snyder said. “I think the answer is likely yes.”

“But until then there is a court order that seals those files,” Snyder added.

[...]

Snyder said he has seen some of the illegal activity captured on video, which he described as “explicit sexual and graphic.”

“I watched and just left the room,” he said. “There is nothing to see. It’s pretty ugly.”

The short of it is that until the case is settled, the videos are to remain undisclosed. But afterwards...

One of the few times a Snyder will get to humiliate Kraft.

Cause it sure as fuck ain't happening on the field any time soon.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Gronk is done.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited March 2019
    Gronk is done.

While I hate the Pats (yes, I say that often enough I should just start all my posts with WIHTP), I've conceded that Brady is great, and Belichick is the GOAT of the modern NFL, I think it's high time I praised Gronk for his onfield talent. I did find his off-field immaturity tiresome, but he at least seemed to be harmless, and enjoying himself, so whatevs.

He's easily a contender for the best Tight End I've seen (yes, limited sample size, I've only been following intensely for a little over a decade). The only one who I'd consider his better, is Tony Gonzalez, who had the misfortune of not having the same supporting quality of Brady and Belichick.

Enjoy your retirement, you big doofus. Hope your injuries heal, and you can enjoy life the way you want.

MorganV on
    Gronk is done.

I am a dolphins fan and hate, hate, HATE the Patriots. I've always liked gronk. Will be nice not seeing home twice a year but he just seemed like an awesome guy.