As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PSN] Black Friday 2017 and onwards!

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I think there's an Okami remaster on Ps3? That's very similar to the Gamecube/Wii era Zeldas.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    I think there's an Okami remaster on Ps3? That's very similar to the Gamecube/Wii era Zeldas.

Okami is one of the best Zelda games out there. And it's basically 3 Zelda games smashed together. It's great.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Okami is on Switch tho.

I know there have been a couple of mentions of Demon’s Souls already, but I will add one more to the pile. I bought the game as an exercise in masochism (full disclosure : I expected to get material for a couple of blog posts about how I am too old for hardcore games) and got absolutely hooked instead.

Ico also got a remaster on PS3 and is one of those games I think everyone should experience.

Did Beyond Good and Evil HD come out for the PS3? I have heard that it is very Zeldaesque. It did come out for the GameCube so you may have already played it.

Really, I envy anyone who is just now getting into the PS3 generation. Hands-down my favorite years for gaming and most of the games are available dirt cheap, either from PSN or used discs.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Yeah, I got into PS3 fairly late (just done the same with PS4 last year) and the amount of gaming you can get for minimal outlay is ridiculous.

Nothing Zelda-esque coming to mind but Shadow of the Colossus / Ico were great remasters, Portal 2 was great fun alone or co-op, and The Last of Us should be played by anyone who likes games or stories.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's really hard to think of any good Zelda-likes or Metroid-likes on the PS3 that didn't get ported to Switch.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    oh, two more questions!

I bought and downloaded both FFT and SoTN and for some reason there appear to be 2 icons for each. one does nothing and the other starts the game. Can the ones that do nothing be deleted?

When I created the internal PS1 memory card, it said I could save up to 15 blocks. .... that means nothing to me in a practical sense. The PS3 HD is 160 gigs so to me, I should think it could handle several hundred thousand PS1 saves. What is a block and how does that translate to anything?

The icon that looks enclosed within a bubble is the install file and can be deleted.

With the memory card thing, the PS1 Emulator also emulates the system's memory card functions; for the most part its just an "aesthetic" representation of how your Classic games get saved, as I think you can create more and more "memory cards" if need be. I think some games technically made use of the memory cards in special ways, so they presumably felt compelled to simulate those functions, but I'm not sure any such games were released on the PS Store.

Legend of Mana has some secret things hidden in the game that are unlocked by having save files from some other square games on the same memory card.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    metaghost wrote: »
    oh, two more questions!

I bought and downloaded both FFT and SoTN and for some reason there appear to be 2 icons for each. one does nothing and the other starts the game. Can the ones that do nothing be deleted?

When I created the internal PS1 memory card, it said I could save up to 15 blocks. .... that means nothing to me in a practical sense. The PS3 HD is 160 gigs so to me, I should think it could handle several hundred thousand PS1 saves. What is a block and how does that translate to anything?

The icon that looks enclosed within a bubble is the install file and can be deleted.

With the memory card thing, the PS1 Emulator also emulates the system's memory card functions; for the most part its just an "aesthetic" representation of how your Classic games get saved, as I think you can create more and more "memory cards" if need be. I think some games technically made use of the memory cards in special ways, so they presumably felt compelled to simulate those functions, but I'm not sure any such games were released on the PS Store.

Legend of Mana has some secret things hidden in the game that are unlocked by having save files from some other square games on the same memory card.

Between that and MGS, the PlayStation era was wild.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I have Okami on the Wii, PC, and a physical Japanese copy on the Switch!

I really like Okami

edit: added Legend of Mana to my list

maybe my favorite genre are PS1 rpgs =p

Xaquin on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

I really like Okami

The PS3 has plenty of those my friend

• Options

I really like Okami

Have you played Legend of Mana before? It's my favorite game of all time, but I have to admit that it's fairly... opaque.

• Options

I really like Okami

Have you played Legend of Mana before? It's my favorite game of all time, but I have to admit that it's fairly... opaque.

I played Secret of Mana (I think it was called) on SNES

what do you mean by opaque? I just watched a brief video on youtube and it looked fun.

• Options

I really like Okami

what do you mean by opaque? I just watched a brief video on youtube and it looked fun.

It is very fun, but all of the game systems have hidden depth that isn't explained well (or at all sometimes) in game.

Even basic stuff like the combat has 'hidden' moves called plunge attacks that the game doesn't every tell you how to pull off. There's a forging system that is so convoluted that it wasn't fully understood until a few years ago until some guy decompiled the game binary and examined it under a microscope.

• Options

I really like Okami

It is very fun, but all of the game systems have hidden depth that isn't explained well (or at all sometimes) in game.

Even basic stuff like the combat has 'hidden' moves called plunge attacks that the game doesn't every tell you how to pull off. There's a forging system that is so convoluted that it wasn't fully understood until a few years ago until some guy decompiled the game binary and examined it under a microscope.

oh wow haha

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Also there are certain game stages and quests you can only get if you assemble the world a certain way.

I love Legend of Mana, and you can enjoy it on a surface level just fine, but if you really want to get the most out of it you need a friend for couch co-op, and some research into some of the least opaque elements like the map system. The chance of effing up character questlines gives Dark Souls a run for its money if memory serves.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'll go to bat for 3D Dot Game Heroes. It was the first game I rented when I got a PS3 and I loved it to bits. The gameplay is 2D Zelda, but the overall feel of the story and game is honestly more Dragon Quest than anything. The game can get a little... archaic at times. Moments where you have no idea where to really go on the world map. Nothing like Zelda 1 and its "How was I supposed to know that" kind of shit like knowing to bomb a nondescript wall. More "I have 5 paths to take and only 1 is the right one".

On the one hand I would recommend it. On the other hand, I wouldn't recommend spending more than $30 or so on it, especially if you've never played it before. It's a bummer it's getting pretty rare and that it never had a digital release.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I mean there are so many great games on PS3
    There's Uncharted and Last of Us, for example, and Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Yakuza, Shadow of the Colossus, Demons' Souls, a few JRPGs, God of War HD and III, Sonic 06...

No one seems to have noticed this, but... I noticed, Storm. I noticed.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Also there are certain game stages and quests you can only get if you assemble the world a certain way.

I love Legend of Mana, and you can enjoy it on a surface level just fine, but if you really want to get the most out of it you need a friend for couch co-op, and some research into some of the least opaque elements like the map system. The chance of effing up character questlines gives Dark Souls a run for its money if memory serves.

I don't think it's worth worrying too much about the quest unlocks. You aren't really meant to clear every quest the first time you play through the game. It's impossible to get yourself into a situation where you can't beat the game, and you can start a new game+ and build your world differently the second time around.

I do have some general advice if you want to get the majority of the quests in one go:
    Pay attention to the land mana when placing artifacts. There are... 7ish mana elements. Every land has a mana rating between 0 and 3 for each element. When you place a new land, that land's baseline mana is added to the adjacent lands, and their mana is also added back to the new land. Avoid placing lands next to each other where the mana would go to waste (IE, if you have a land with 3 shade essence already, don't place a new land next to it that adds more shade). Higher mana is always better.

• Options
  • Options
    I wouldn't follow a guide IMO. I think the game really works when experienced organically. Just aim for highish mana values on all your lands and you'll be set.

• Options
    I mean, as a dissenting voice I love guides and using one will work; I use them for basically every game I play. However, if you aren't a guide-using person by nature, then just follow LD's advice and it'll work.

• Options
    I tend to not use guides unless I know before hand that there is something that could be missed. For example in FFT, there is a thing you can miss that will result in being unable to get cloud. So I use the guide for that, but figure out all the bosses and job types and etc.

• Options
    I tend to not use guides unless I know before hand that there is something that could be missed. For example in FFT, there is a thing you can miss that will result in being unable to get cloud. So I use the guide for that, but figure out all the bosses and job types and etc.

Suikoden II has several characters that are very easy to miss.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    This is another one of those games that's on basically everything, but if you haven't tried this Metroidvania before... I would recommend Dust an Elysian Tail to almost everyone. Small game, around 20 hours to platinum, animated and programmed by one guy, and was the beginning of a career for a LOT of known voice talent at the time.

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    I got Dust on steam and switch! it is great indeed

I also picked Harmony of Despair .... it's kind of bad =p Like they made this cool loot system and stuff and decided to call it a day with 6 dinky maps.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Suikoden II has several characters that are very easy to miss.

This is kind of Suikoden in general; 2 in specific though is one of the worst games I've ever played as far as guide dependency. There are several characters that are only obtainable within certain story windows or choosing the "correct" dialogue responses which aren't very clear and if you miss them, you can never get them. Say for example one character requires triggering an obscure-assed cutscene during a brief plot window in the early game in order to recruit them late game and if you miss it, you're screwed for the rest of the game. Another one may require you to reset the game and reload if the AI RNGs itself to death during a fairly lengthy plot battle, even if you otherwise fulfilled the normal requirements for the battle to recruit them. There's 30-odd hours of this shit going on, so you will never get all of them in a playthrough without a guide.

• Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    I got Dust on steam and switch! it is great indeed

I also picked Harmony of Despair .... it's kind of bad =p Like they made this cool loot system and stuff and decided to call it a day with 6 dinky maps.

That's the co-op one, right? We had some fun parties with that.

• Options
    This thread seems to have disappeared somehow, but I come bearing news:

There is a big sale happening on the PSN store:https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-GREATINDOORSLP/1

Stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn is on a big discount.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    This thread seems to have disappeared somehow, but I come bearing news:

There is a big sale happening on the PSN store:https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-GREATINDOORSLP/1

Stuff like Horizon Zero Dawn is on a big discount.

I mean... It's cheap, but 15% off isn't a big discount. :P

• Options
    Yeah, I went to look and the biggest discounts I was seeing on things I want was something like 33%. I'm like, "Okay, a big discount is 75-90% off".

Steam may have spoiled me a bit . . .

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Wait... Lego Batman 3 is single player? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    A new Super Robot Wars releases tomorrow. I'm sitting here feeling like I'm 30 years younger and Christmas is tomorrow. Being able to get an English SRW despite all the crazy licensing stuff is still a dream come true for me.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    EA has a big sale going on in PlayStation land this week. So you have all your Battlefields, Mass Effects, Sports, etc.

But I saw one little thing that I haven't thought about in a while... Unravel 2 is on the list, and it's 5 bucks! I've been looking for a new whimsical co-op platformer to play with my girlfriend, and this looks like it will fit the bill.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Can I hook up a microphone to the PS4 with a USB port? I want to stream with the PS4 but the gold headset sounds kind of bad.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    I think so? I mean there are some games that just use a bog standard microphone plugged into the USB port for input. Rock Band for one....

26904.png
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    To make things even worse in Suikoden 2 there are two characters whose story you only get to see play out if you literally speed run the game and get to one of the last areas super fast.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    To make things even worse in Suikoden 2 there are two characters whose story you only get to see play out if you literally speed run the game and get to one of the last areas super fast.

To be fair that’s not mandatory for character completion and is more for people who’ve already beaten the game and want to see a cool little side story

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular
    Did I somehow miss the announcement that Path of Exile was getting a PS4 port? I was very surprised when I checked the store today.

• Options
    Next month is Conan Exiles and The Surge which... Ok? This might be the first month I'm actually disappointed in the games but can't win them all.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    The Surge is a solid game, though probably pretty underwhelming for a Plus offering.

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    Part of me was hoping that dropping the dead weight of PS3/Vita would lead to some improvement in the PS+ offerings.

Ugh.