As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Horizon Zero Dawn] Out now on PC and PS4!

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    Nil is batshit crazy, no thank you.

Batshit crazy is why Nils is awesome.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    It doesn't look like the kickass power armor you've been seeing through a window and working towards the entire game. It looks like her normal outfit with plastic glued onto it. It's awful.

If she was dressed as an Infinite Warfare character, every single instance of her interacting with anyone would just look weird.

Well we certainly wouldn't anyone to look dressed oddly.
    maxresdefault.jpg

But seriously, it would've been super-distracting to me to have Aloy stomping around a primitive setting in pristine cutting-edge power armor. I really liked the fact that she actually adapts the armor to her own look, instead of just sticking the player in anachronistic gear.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Well we certainly wouldn't anyone to look dressed oddly.
    maxresdefault.jpg
    That's perfectly normal formal wear, I don't see your problem.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    wzdyvwpwez9c.png
    I keep forgetting to use photo mode, and I know I'm a year and a half late, but god damn can this game be pretty.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    Wrapped this up last night, what a ride.
    Glad I went and picked up the Shieldweaver armour before the end mission, though it seemed a bit easy with it, I think it would have been fairly punishing without it.

And yeah, fuck Ted.

I still haven't gone into the Frozen Wilds at all, and only even attempted the trials at the first hunting grounds I came across so there is still a lot of game for me to go back to, but I think I'll jump into either Spider-Man or RDR2 which I've had sitting there uninstalled.

• Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Just started this up finally. Man it's so good! I remember folks mentioning this compared to Breath of the Wild, and I can see it. I'm not a huge open world fan, but so far I'm loving the creatures, skills, etc. Also for a PS4 game, it looks amazing.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    A sequel to Horizon is on the top of my most hoped for announcements from E3 this year. I really need to explore more of this world. Between the main game and dlc I spent well over 100 hours on it. What a phenomenal game!

I think my only hope is to make the cut scenes a bit more dynamic so the talking doesn't get stale. Spider-Man taught me you can do some pretty great conversations with a bit more personality and pzazz to the scene.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    A sequel to Horizon is on the top of my most hoped for announcements from E3 this year. I really need to explore more of this world. Between the main game and dlc I spent well over 100 hours on it. What a phenomenal game!

I think my only hope is to make the cut scenes a bit more dynamic so the talking doesn't get stale. Spider-Man taught me you can do some pretty great conversations with a bit more personality and pzazz to the scene.

A sequel would be amazing. A sequel and announcement that the a sequel and the first game being released on PC would be the only thing better. (yes yes, I know a PC release isn't happening but let me dream dagnabbit.)

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It mainly got the BotW comparison because they came out in like, the same week. Plus bow and arrow.
    These are very different games, but the world building here is a cut above.

• Options
    Guerrilla posted for a game writer: https://www.guerrilla-games.com/join/game-writer

Folks are speculating it could be for a sequel on the PS5. If true though, probably wouldn't seen anything for a bit.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Maybe I'm overlooking something, but some big hits landed on both the PS3 and PS4, and I'm hoping they'd follow a similar route.

Of course, assuming the architecture and whatnot all supported such an endeavor without making everyone's lives a nightmare. I will begrudgingly admit that HZD2 on the PS5 would probably prompt earlier adoption than anything else, but with a fairly new Pro on hand, it'd be nice to wait out an upgrade at least a little longer.

But circling back, Guerrilla has been posting job openings for a while, and hasn't been shy about saying that work on a sequel is underway.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Ear3nd1lEar3nd1l Eärendil the Mariner, father of Elrond Registered User regular
    I hope it's not exclusive to the PS5, I'm usually a mid gen purchaser, generally after the first price drop.

• Options
    Is Nora Survivor armor worth anything? Feels like I'd rather switch to the elemental armor I need in that situation rather than have a lot less protection from all? Are there enemies with multiple elements later?

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Always happy when this thread pops back up. With infinite time I’d play this game again, but I just don’t have it. I am still trying to find time to play the Spider-man DLC.

A sequel would be great. Lots of ideas in the original that can be fleshed out and I ended up liking the story quite a bit. I’m not too worried about it though because even as a stand alone product it tells a fantastic story. It’s one of those rare examples of media that succeed at both being self contained and setting itself up for possible future stories.

Anyway, I’ll never have anything but good things to say about this game. It captivated me in a way most games don’t these days.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Trajan45 wrote: »
    Is Nora Survivor armor worth anything? Feels like I'd rather switch to the elemental armor I need in that situation rather than have a lot less protection from all? Are there enemies with multiple elements later?

Not that I know of, it's really just a "hey I don't need to switch as often armor but it's weaker overall" IIRC

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    90% of the time I just wore the stealth armor. I wish there had been a cosmetic option, those leaves and nets got old.

• Options
    90% of the time I just wore the stealth armor. I wish there had been a cosmetic option, those leaves and nets got old.

I was the same way, except with the ancient armor, or whatever it was called.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    90% stealth, and the moment I was found and shit was real, the swap to the power armour for combat happened (once I acquired it, that is).

I hope that the sequel allows for a quick-swap of outfits, or some measure of customization that reduces the need for it. I didn't mind overall, but I don't feel it was quite as elegant as it could have been.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    The power armor was incredibly disappointing and I refused to use it on that principle.

• Options
    The power armor was incredibly disappointing and I refused to use it on that principle.

What was disappointing about it? Not judging, just genuinely curious...

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

You spend the entire game looking at cool Power Armor through a glass, working to unlock the door, then when you get it it's her normal outfit with plastic tied on.

Aistan on
  • Options
    Ear3nd1l wrote: »

You spend the entire game looking at cool Power Armor through a glass, working to unlock the door, then when you get it it's her normal outfit with plastic tied on.

Do you mean you didn't like the way it looked? I can understand that. But functionally, I thought it was pretty awesome.

• Options
    Yes, entirety the look. Functionally it's fine but by then I had gotten used to not having or needing it and I still liked the gameplay. Going from stealth to that would have been a big shift in tactics.

• Options
    Yes, entirety the look. Functionally it's fine but by then I had gotten used to not having or needing it and I still liked the gameplay. Going from stealth to that would have been a big shift in tactics.

That's fair, I can't fault you for that. I liked it because I tend to play more aggressively and the power shield thing allowed me to do that and not get slaughtered.

• Options
    I didn't mind the look, would have liked to have been able to turn off the crackling sound effect while you're just walking around.

I really only used it post-game while I was finishing off the collectables and stuff.

• Options
    I'd have hated it if it had been like it looked like power armour, unless they'd gone to the effort of having every single NPC show a 'wtf is that' reaction.
    I avoided wearing some of the super armours in Assassin's Creed games, because they looked so out of place it broke any sense of immersion when they interacted with people.

• Options
    The tie down trial can die in a fire. I can get 1 pretty easy as it's flying near me when I land. But getting 2 more is crazy. With Tramplers running all over and the prompt to Crit Strike only showing up at certain positions and distances; Full Sun might be the best I can get on that one.

On the plus side, ran into my first Thunderjaw and omg knocking it's disc launchers off and feeding them to it is so much fun! At first I thought it was a heavy weapon from the bandits it was fighting before me. Had me a rocket raccoon moment once I picked it up and it said disc launcher; ohhhh yeeeaaahhh!

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    The tie down trial can die in a fire. I can get 1 pretty easy as it's flying near me when I land. But getting 2 more is crazy. With Tramplers running all over and the prompt to Crit Strike only showing up at certain positions and distances; Full Sun might be the best I can get on that one.

On the plus side, ran into my first Thunderjaw and omg knocking it's disc launchers off and feeding them to it is so much fun! At first I thought it was a heavy weapon from the bandits it was fighting before me. Had me a rocket raccoon moment once I picked it up and it said disc launcher; ohhhh yeeeaaahhh!

GET SOME GET SOME!!!!!

• Options

You don’t need it honestly. Maybe on the harder difficulties it’s better but on normal, eh.

Plus it’s all about swag. Once I got that armor with the headdress and mask and full body armor I never looked back. Shadow hunter I think it was? Aloy looked like an invincible warrior queen, an image fitting her stature.

• Options
    I'm sure there's others that I can't remember right now, but Horizon is one of the only games i've played where by the end I felt like the main character was way too good for all of these other stupid assholes. Then as a bonus it turned out the game and the character herself also thought this same way.

Godamn Horizon is so good.

• Options
    Is it worth trying for Cauldron ZETA? I'm able to fight Thunderjaws in the wild but that allows me to sneak up and knock their disc launchers off. I'm not very good at fighting in the cauldrons. Also I've not found override to be that useful. It's fun to screw around with, but machines don't follow you, so it's impossible to bring one with you one a mission or to a large herd.

• Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    Is it worth trying for Cauldron ZETA? I'm able to fight Thunderjaws in the wild but that allows me to sneak up and knock their disc launchers off. I'm not very good at fighting in the cauldrons. Also I've not found override to be that useful. It's fun to screw around with, but machines don't follow you, so it's impossible to bring one with you one a mission or to a large herd.

Well, two things. First, IMHO that fight is a test unlike any other in the game of your ability to create a field that gives you advantage and then work with it; you have all the time in the world to create a Maze of Death for your dance partner before you press the "release Thunderjaw" button. And second (spoiler for DLC):
    You can repair overridden machines with the right skills in the Frozen Wilds, which makes being able to override large machines potentially way more valuable?

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular

You don't have to release the Thunderjaw until the time is right. Use that time to stack the room with explosive tripwires and make life absolute hell for the thunderjaw once it's released. I think I created 3 seperate fields of explosive tripwires but only used 2 in the end. I found that you couldn't just create a super stack of 15 or something and one-shot it, like you can do out in the wild. Creating a few seperate killzones though worked perfectly fine.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    I didn't use Override until I got the permanent upgrade for it, but big herd fights after that tended to be along the lines of sneaking up to the biggest enemy and bringing him on my team.
    Sure, by then I could just kill them all, but this was more fun. And hectic fights are always less hectic if some of the machines are trying to trample someone else.

DLC:
    And it was definitely intended to be used on one of the Fireclaw fights, given that they put you up against two at once; one daemonic and un-overridable, and the other just ready to be bought onto Team Aloy.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I'd have hated it if it had been like it looked like power armour, unless they'd gone to the effort of having every single NPC show a 'wtf is that' reaction.
    I avoided wearing some of the super armours in Assassin's Creed games, because they looked so out of place it broke any sense of immersion when they interacted with people.

I love the Power Armor because to me it really signifies who Aloy is, a mix (an "alloy" if you will) of the old and new. It's glowing power armor adapted into the Nora style. That's absolutely perfect for her.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Finally replaced my old PS4 with a Pro so I can play this again. Also got a nice big 4K Bravia.

This game is so pretty.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Just finished the main game. Damn that was amazing!

Story: Man it just sucked me in. Such great writing overall. What really made it was all the little touches, the fragments of the world of the 2060's, the insights of all the staff members, the vantage's, etc. There were only a couple bits that I wasn't a huge fan of. The common video game trope of "main hero overcoming all odds to then have a cut-scene take them out of the fight", always seems a bit lazy to me. I would have also liked it if they just left Apollo as glitched out or something. Adding Faro back in raises all sorts of questions around someone whose not technical and yet possesses some sort of cheat code. Lastly, I didn't really like the epilogue for the same reasons. The kill switch is supposed to wipe the code, yet somehow it's saved by someone who isn't even an old one? Again, feels a bit lazy, so they can re-use the same villain. Overall though, that stuff was just a small faction of how amazing the rest was.

Graphics: How the hell did they get this game to look soooo good on a PS4? On my PS4 Pro with HDR, I'd have to stop every once in while to take the scenery in. From the storms (rain, snow, and dust), to the rising and setting sun. And beyond the graphics themselves the art design was just top notch. Unlike something like Mass Effect Andromeda, it felt like there was very little "dead space". I particularly liked the old buildings that littered the landscape. Not graphics related, but the OST was masterfully done as well.

Gameplay: Overall again they did an amazing job. All the machines felt like they had personalities. Combined with weak points and armor, each fight, even at the end of the game was fun as hell. I remember the first time I could override a machine. Sneaking up to a Sawtooth and getting it to join me to fight another Sawtooth and a couple watchers, it was just so much fun. My main complaints are mostly on the technical side, way too many times I had arrows stick in mid air as the terrain hit box was larger than the texture. Same with path finding, gaia prime was a nightmare of times I got stuck on lower paths that went nowhere (had to jump off and kill myself to restart). Also Glinkhawks suck lol.

The weapon UI was fantastic, but highlighted how terrible some of the other ones were. Armor wasn't the end of the world going into the menu to swap, but items were terrible. First you couldn't upgrade traps with mods, so they were almost always never used compared to the tripcaster. But to make matters worse, in the heat of battle, it was a nightmare trying to change items. The game could have desperately used a menu similar to the weapon one for items. Slow down time and let me use the thumbstick to choose what I want.

Again, minor issues but overall an absolute treat to play. I think I'm going to take a small break, then download the DLC pack. I'm excited to see where they go, lots of possibilities.

EDIT: A couple other things. I wish this was on the PC as well, I could only imagine what the graphic's bump would look like, but more important the KB&M setup would be a life saver. The amount of times I just missed a dude's head or when an arrow tracked on a deathbringers gun and not the exposed vents were kind of annoying. The camera would also get obstructed by the environment a lot which kind of sucked. Also, I didn't really see the point of the light armors. Felt like they could have been paced better as I was grabbing heavy versions of almost all armors right from the get go. I didn't ever use a light armor except the starter set and I think I used 1 or 2 medium armors.

Trajan45 on
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    Good thoughts. As fantastic as Horizon is, there are areas for significant improvement in the inevitable sequel, and I can't wait to see how Guerrilla improves the formula and the execution going forward (especially with respect to UI and some of the kind-of-superfluous item and equipment stuff). If they can lean a little more into making the RPG elements essential - or else stop trying to overcomplicate with clunky menus - a sequel can either make that stuff feel smoother or else focus on what the game does best, which is action, adventure, and gameplay feel.

The next Horizon announcement is going to be something that amps me way up, the way that the announcement for TLoU II did, and I can't wait. I somehow feel like I haven't experienced too many genuine megaton hype blasts in the PS3/PS4 era, mostly because I was a bit LTTP on PS3.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    That was another thing I loved about this game. The hidden collectibles were not so hidden. While I can understand the desire for game designers to hide collectables in random nooks and crannies, I don't have the time anymore to spend 10 hours just exploring the map for stuff and will likely just turn to the internet to find them. Here, they give you a good boundary for where the item might be. I hope every open world game does this in the future.

Also the more I thought about it, the more I really really hated the Faro part. The only reason I can think for writing it was for additional drama.
    There are snippets you pick up that talk about how he's a great business man but not a tech guy. This isn't future Elon Musk, more like CEO of Ford or something. Also for anyone in IT, the idea that you can create a secret super admin account is laughable. Combined with having to sneak it past 9 team leads, Elisabet, and a functioning AI. It's just stretching it a bit far; we've entered James Bond villain at this point.

I think it bugs me as the story was so solid otherwise. HADES is a great villain. It's out to destroy the world because that's what it was programmed to do. Sylens like-wise is a good character, has well thought out motivations around his actions. Even Faro up to that point was a well done character.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    That was another thing I loved about this game. The hidden collectibles were not so hidden. While I can understand the desire for game designers to hide collectables in random nooks and crannies, I don't have the time anymore to spend 10 hours just exploring the map for stuff and will likely just turn to the internet to find them. Here, they give you a good boundary for where the item might be. I hope every open world game does this in the future.

Also the more I thought about it, the more I really really hated the Faro part. The only reason I can think for writing it was for additional drama.
    There are snippets you pick up that talk about how he's a great business man but not a tech guy. This isn't future Elon Musk, more like CEO of Ford or something. Also for anyone in IT, the idea that you can create a secret super admin account is laughable. Combined with having to sneak it past 9 team leads, Elisabet, and a functioning AI. It's just stretching it a bit far; we've entered James Bond villain at this point.

I think it bugs me as the story was so solid otherwise. HADES is a great villain. It's out to destroy the world because that's what it was programmed to do. Sylens like-wise is a good character, has well thought out motivations around his actions. Even Faro up to that point was a well done character.
    Faro IS absolutely a tech guy, he's just completely out of his depth. We only really start hearing logs from him after shit has gone to hell and he has literally no other recourse than to reach out to Elizabet.

He's the type of tech guy that's not unlike the ones we're dealing with now; who think regulations are for other people, and are completely unwilling to examine the possible ramifications of their vision.

This discussion has been closed.