As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Finally won a game on a defense guy, won as Caustic with 5 kills, 900+ dmg and some key revives using his ult as cover. Annoyingly the other two randoms were grabbing all the good loot before I could, and I was doing most of the heavy lifting. Eh, no matter. Now I need to worry about the damage achievement and I should be set.

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    The optimal route imo is staying alive for long enough to get the last hit in. If I have to engage or if the other team enagages at that point if course I'm going to gun for it, but I learn almost nothing after a certain amount of hot drops. The punching game only goes so deep and there's very little nuance to learn from it after "get the gun first", "be serpentine because your disadvantage may not be as great as it seems", and/or "mob as a group".

But really there's an obvious middle ground of experiences to strive for, because the way people behave during an initial clusterfuck will be different from the podium finish and facing a basic-bitch body shield team down with a P2020 is not the same as a squad armed with weapons from balls to brains

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    The optimal route imo is staying alive for long enough to get the last hit in. If I have to engage or if the other team enagages at that point if course I'm going to gun for it, but I learn almost nothing after a certain amount of hot drops. The punching game only goes so deep and there's very little nuance to learn from it after "get the gun first", "be serpentine because your disadvantage may not be as great as it seems", and/or "mob as a group".

But really there's an obvious middle ground of experiences to strive for, because the way people behave during an initial clusterfuck will be different from the podium finish and facing a basic-bitch body shield team down with a P2020 is not the same as a squad armed with weapons from balls to brains

Well at least i now have a name for my new folk metal band.

steam_sig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    well, the core problem is that you want to go out and shoot guns, but there are gun shooters who can use shotguns to shoot shot at you to stop you getting a shotgun or other gun that you might use to shoot them, so you need to shoot your shot and stick to your guns, gun the engine and move like a shot to the nearest shotgun to be sure youre the one to shoot your shot with your shotgun to avoid getting shot by a gun

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Wait there are guns in this game

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

You have to master the martial arts to attain the guns.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019

yes after completing the first quest line the guy at the shop will arm you if you ask him if you can help the resistance
    vm75utb5cgms.jpg

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
    Oh shit that explains the penguin level
    https://youtu.be/Wl6utFejqOY

• McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular

yes after completing the first quest line the guy at the shop will arm you if you ask him if you can help the resistance
    vm75utb5cgms.jpg

Citizen Snips!!!!!!!!

steam_sig.png
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    There are a lot of ways to help that aren't kills and if you're playing with a real slayer then staying out of their way and being helpful might be the best thing you can do.

Apparently I got a bit lucky with randos cause I just won again. This time I managed to actually kill a guy while my teammates were downed! They then went on to kill everyone else alive. So in a way, I killed all those people.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I wish they could even out hit detection for bullet travel.

Sometimes it feels just right and I lead a target the perfect distance. In another game it feels all over the place and the lead distance is way greater depending on my ping or something. Like it smooths the enemy movement but not the predicted location for my bullet impact.

Game still really fun when it behaves.

dispatch.o on
    Got my first win as Octane tonight, he's a really fun character. I feel like accidentally using his ability mid fight can be a detriment, since your left hand is up and blocking part of the screen. Also, the health you lose of course.

Here's the most effective I've used the pad so far offensively, using it hop over enemies to shoot them in the back as they engage my team:

https://youtu.be/BH7N-grHn7w

This win was tense, enemies on either side of the wall we were on. We managed to get to high ground thanks to the jumppad and let the enemiea below us slug it out:
    https://youtu.be/JGYlKry-ALs

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    My most satisfying times with this game are when my team positions themselves well and sets up a nice kill field. Caustic barrels the doors, we have a height advantage over a valley, and we have a variety of weapons to counter the enemy.

usually its just we rush for guns and someone turns around and blasts me 40 seconds into the match

• CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

You have to master the martial arts to attain the guns.

I usually end up with higher round damage when I have to jump kick people instead of trying to shoot them.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I ain't close to being esports but sometimes you just get that one game where you and your boys pop off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmhoprkfSMY

XBKQEcsh.png

Of course, it helps if the other squads have murdered the hell out of each other in the time it took you just to clear your own drop zones.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    ur esports if u wake up, look in the mirror, inject a pint of dew into ur veins and snort a line of doritos. the esports was inside u all along

obF2Wuw.png
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Start the stream, live the dream.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Today I had the sickest Pathfinder grapple flank from the low ground that I somehow pulled off flawlessly and was ready to carry my team to victory.

...I then immediately died to the champion squad who just walked up behind me after my MLG plays.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    My most satisfying times with this game are when my team positions themselves well and sets up a nice kill field. Caustic barrels the doors, we have a height advantage over a valley, and we have a variety of weapons to counter the enemy.

usually its just we rush for guns and someone turns around and blasts me 40 seconds into the match

The former situation ends up with every one of your team looking away at the kill field at the same time by chance, three enemy teams showing up at once to MLG headshot from 500 meters away

latter situation you end up winning with punching as you run out of ammo mid-fight

VRXwDW7.png
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Don’t try to finisher anyone on the ship while it’s moving, it does the same thing as reviving on it used to.

ronzo on
  • MyNameIsWalrusMyNameIsWalrus Registered User regular
    Today I had the sickest Pathfinder grapple flank from the low ground that I somehow pulled off flawlessly and was ready to carry my team to victory.

...I then immediately died to the champion squad who just walked up behind me after my MLG plays.
    Here's the video of this:
    https://youtu.be/keSA_LrV-yc

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    Finally came in at the tail end of one of those morass bunker fights when it's the center of the shrinking zone. Killed one person to elim one squad, then wiped a no health Gib, no health someone else who just got rezzed, and the healthy Lifeline to take the other squad out. Only 2 squads left after that mess...

...and my squad had 15(!) death boxes to pick through at our leisure, with basically the collection of the very best gear on the map.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
    edited March 2019
    Okay had a rather excellent game where I solo'd to a epic third place finish as Octane. My team of randos drops us at airship, which is above Water Treatment. I chase an injured Mirage with a purple shield off the ship and pursue to kill him and get my hands on the shield. Behind me on the ship, both randos die.. and quit. So I grab the shield and decide to take the long way around the circle edge towards the north of the map, looting as I go.

I rotate all the way from Treatment to Slum Lakes. I see a few teams around but narrowly stealth around them. As the circle chokes up, things are either gonna end on Slums or Runoff. I sprint through Pit and enter Runoff, where one team has the roofs and the other is moving towards them. I stealth past roof team and toss my jump-pad down to get on the adjacent rooftop.

https://youtu.be/67sQa3PVjdQ

I have to say I'm proud of myself for slugging it out this far solo. I manhandled one team and almost put the other in the dirt.

Local H Jay on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I managed a duo win last night! I somehow got all six kills.
    ZNk5Bva.png

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The season pass has at least slightly varied my gameplay. I'm dropping in each character in turn to get the daily kill bonus on each of them. It is sort of fun forcing me to keep switching it up.

What is this I don't even.
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I need to learn how to actually play this game well

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Won a game. I had 2 kills to their 4 and 6. It worked because they behaved in rational ways. They were more aggressive than I'd like, but their aggression was at least reasonable. They pushed teams when we were properly geared and prepared to engage them. They used cover. They used the ping system. It was nice.

I say "GG, thanks for the carry"

One of them says "You were fine, GG"

I was fine?!?!

I WAS FINE GUYS!

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There are still far too many times in the game when I'm thinking "I have no clue what the right move here is". And my random guess usually gets me killed because of invalid assumptions like "there are no enemies behind me".

I'm fine at making positioning choices based on the known location of known enemies.

I'm far less good at saying something like "I see enemy A over here, and B over here, but where is C? I bet he's flanking us, better watch my backside" Or "There's two squads left, I only know where one is, I'm not safe".

It's like in a firefight I'm an infant that doesn't have object permanence. If I can't see the enemies, they don't exist.

I hope being aware of it will mean I'll eventually figure it out.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    There are still far too many times in the game when I'm thinking "I have no clue what the right move here is". And my random guess usually gets me killed because of invalid assumptions like "there are no enemies behind me".

I'm fine at making positioning choices based on the known location of known enemies.

I'm far less good at saying something like "I see enemy A over here, and B over here, but where is C? I bet he's flanking us, better watch my backside" Or "There's two squads left, I only know where one is, I'm not safe".

It's like in a firefight I'm an infant that doesn't have object permanence. If I can't see the enemies, they don't exist.

Yeah this is a major difference between BR abd tyoical shooters.

I’m weak at it too.

What I find helps cover that weakness is to always assume the worst. In Fortnite it’s easier to accommodate cause you can just build cover to make sure you aren’t exposed but in Apex you have to use existing cover

Still, the goal is to leave yourself exposed as little as possible. Position yourself so there’s very few angles that have sights on you. Don’t guess where the enemy is going to come from, assume they are coming every angle and limit how damaging that would be.

616610-1.png
    Man had a really good game with randoms that fell apart at the very end. Awkward fight outside bunker, one team above us and the other behind coming up the river. We killed the first squad but got split up for the second and they nailed us to the wall one at a time. It sucks when multiple fights pop off and you just don't have the teamwork to fend off each new attacker.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »

I’m weak at it too.

What I find helps cover that weakness is to always assume the worst. In Fortnite it’s easier to accommodate cause you can just build cover to make sure you aren’t exposed but in Apex you have to use existing cover

Still, the goal is to leave yourself exposed as little as possible. Position yourself so there’s very few angles that have sights on you. Don’t guess where the enemy is going to come from, assume they are coming every angle and limit how damaging that would be.
    Yeah, the one and only time I managed to solo an enemy squad, I saved my self on several occasions by just suddenly having the thought of "the worst possible thing would be if the enemy was doing that" and then I adjust my aim and my position under the assumption that they're doing that and fuck they were.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Disrupter wrote: »

I’m weak at it too.

Yeah, the one and only time I managed to solo an enemy squad, I saved my self on several occasions by just suddenly having the thought of "the worst possible thing would be if the enemy was doing that" and then I adjust my aim and my position under the assumption that they're doing that and fuck they were.

I never have succeeded at soloing a squad. I just suck at aiming.
    I have been kill leader once and than I got killed quickly in a very dumb way.
    I feel I fill the kamikaze role in the squads. I run in, draw fire and kill as many as I can as fast as possible before I get knocked down.

steam_sig.png
    so I calculated how many hours I need to play to get lvl 100 in the battle pass. With the legend bonus and first kill of the day and including that kill. I need to play 134,3 hours. Each kill takes of 10 seconds and each win 2,5 minutes.

steam_sig.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I activated a bounty on Twitch to play Octane. Playing now and then playing Sekiro in a bit. Already got a win today, Scout and Wingman are my jam now. More so than Peacekeeper. Octane seems really fun though.

Had the most brutal second place finish. Run up on the other final team rez-shipping two of their players. We drop two of them but it takes a minute as the shield has collapsed and everything is chaos. Their last player just runs away, as far as they can, and our squad dies to the shield collapse. Woof.

The worst part about it was we won the game before it and the game after it, but losing the middle game meant no streak badges for anyone!

I'm loving the system to reward playing multiple characters. It's really getting me to switch things up.

I need more PS4 friends, too. Digital-Fenrir

I'm starting to get a feel for Octane. I find it annoying the season pass pushes you to play other characters when I'm trying to practice the new guy.

HighlevelComplicatedChameleon-size_restricted.gif

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Hey guys, this game is making me very frustrated. In about a third of the games I get into, I'm lagged to hell and back. I tried the "set your data server" thing, and it didn't seem to help. The worst part is, most of the time when I lag badly, the game just won't let me leave; it just hangs at the "connecting to server..." overlay. Which I can exit out of and keep playing lagged, but if it sticks around then I have to go to the Task Manager to shut the game down and restart manually.

Needless to say, it's killing a lot of the fun. Has anyone else had these issues? Is there anything else I can try? As far as I know, it's not a problem with my ISP. I don't see how it could be, either, since in 2/3 or 3/4 games I run just fine.

Terrendos wrote: »
    Hey guys, this game is making me very frustrated. In about a third of the games I get into, I'm lagged to hell and back. I tried the "set your data server" thing, and it didn't seem to help. The worst part is, most of the time when I lag badly, the game just won't let me leave; it just hangs at the "connecting to server..." overlay. Which I can exit out of and keep playing lagged, but if it sticks around then I have to go to the Task Manager to shut the game down and restart manually.

Needless to say, it's killing a lot of the fun. Has anyone else had these issues? Is there anything else I can try? As far as I know, it's not a problem with my ISP. I don't see how it could be, either, since in 2/3 or 3/4 games I run just fine.

Al my troubles came from frame rate issues and CPU/GPU utilisation.
    You might try to cap your frame rate at 60 or 90 through the the command line and see if it helps.

steam_sig.png