As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Whatever happened to the [TV] Thread?

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Getting into the final third of season 2, The Expanse continues to gradually get more and more engaging and interesting in about the slowest of slow burn ways. I think my favorite characters at this point are two of the ones I kind of hated the most at the beginning of the show: Amos and Chrisjen. The show is even getting me to start to come around on Draper.

And Chrisjen pretty much won me even with her delivery on the "Wherever I god damn like" line.

Chrisjen and Amos are indeed the best. Congratulations on objectively correct options.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    i only like the trashiest of reality tv

@zonugal can tell you about the time i tried to get him to watch "how far is tattoo far?"

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

@zonugal can tell you about the time i tried to get him to watch "how far is tattoo far?"

I think I got four minutes in and just gave up.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    Getting into the final third of season 2, The Expanse continues to gradually get more and more engaging and interesting in about the slowest of slow burn ways. I think my favorite characters at this point are two of the ones I kind of hated the most at the beginning of the show: Amos and Chrisjen. The show is even getting me to start to come around on Draper.

And Chrisjen pretty much won me even with her delivery on the "Wherever I god damn like" line.

I will listen to Shohreh Aghdashloo swear at idiots all day for the rest of my life.

• Options
    Zonugal wrote: »

just wait til' i try to get you to watch game of clones

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

That I might be interested in.

But what I really want to see is this season of Temptation Island (as I don't have Hulu Premium).

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Gvzbgul wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »

Huh, from the description it sounds kind of expensive (George Washington Black is a young slave who is chosen as the personal servant of Jules Verne type character and they travel around the world), that seems like a lot for a 2018 book. Maybe they'll just film it all on a soundstage lol
    Do it Sky Captain of the World of Tomorrow style.

Extremely badly?

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Amazon has cast Sam Strike as Roland Deschain in The Dark Tower
    e7llttq0d2zg.jpeg
    It is an origin story for Roland so him being younger makes sense but MAN that is a babyfaced motherfucker

Also lame that they didn't cast a black actor and just keep rolling with Roland being black from the bad movie

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    they probably want to get as far away from comparisons to that movie as possible

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    I imagine it'd feel weird watching that twelve year-old fire a gun a bunch.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    that dude really needs to shave though

haha wow he is 25, if that is the case, dude facial hair just isn't going to work out for you, you look like an old Brillo pad

cursedking on
    Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Orphan Black's alright, yeah

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    cursedking wrote: »
    they probably want to get as far away from comparisons to that movie as possible
    I mean I get that but also going WELL THAT MOVIE SUCKED, LETS CAST A WHITE GUY is a worse call, IMO

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    I'm still mad about The Dark Tower movie

Idris Elba as a super-cowboy is a pitch that writes itself!

(spoilers for The Dark Tower books)
    Making the movies follow-ups to the books instead of just remakes is cool!

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Beard Shaming Is Wrong

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm still mad about The Dark Tower movie

Idris Elba as a super-cowboy is a pitch that writes itself!

(spoilers for The Dark Tower books)
    Making the movies follow-ups to the books instead of just remakes is cool!

One of my biggest pop culture disappointments

• Options
    Tube wrote: »
    Beard Shaming Is Wrong

And yet you have made fun of Sharon Carter on multiple occasions

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Almost every story change from the books was bad

I should’ve known the movie was bad right from the “the mind of a child can bring it down” stuff, it was way cooler that just anybody could unknowingly have the psychic shit that they would come grab you for, making it specifically All Children is lame

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Just when all my childhood dreams seemed to have come true, I nearly lost my mind and then my life. I’ve never told this story publicly, but now it’s time.

Emilia Clarke did a lengthy personal essay for the New Yorker https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/emilia-clarke-a-battle-for-my-life-brain-aneurysm-surgery-game-of-thrones She had two life-threatening brain aneurysms this decade, the first after completing season one of GoT
    But now, after keeping quiet all these years, I’m telling you the truth in full. Please believe me: I know that I am hardly unique, hardly alone. Countless people have suffered far worse, and with nothing like the care I was so lucky to receive.

A few weeks after that second surgery, I went with a few other cast members to Comic-Con, in San Diego. The fans at Comic-Con are hardcore; you don’t want to disappoint them. There were several thousand people in the audience, and, right before we went on to answer questions, I was hit by a horrific headache. Back came that sickeningly familiar sense of fear. I thought, This is it. My time is up; I’ve cheated death twice and now he’s coming to claim me. As I stepped offstage, my publicist looked at me and asked what was wrong. I told her, but she said that a reporter from MTV was waiting for an interview. I figured, if I’m going to go, it might as well be on live television.

But I survived. I survived MTV and so much more. In the years since my second surgery I have healed beyond my most unreasonable hopes. I am now at a hundred per cent. Beyond my work as an actor, I’ve decided to throw myself into a charity I’ve helped develop in conjunction with partners in the U.K. and the U.S. It is called SameYou, and it aims to provide treatment for people recovering from brain injuries and stroke. I feel endless gratitude—to my mum and brother, to my doctors and nurses, to my friends. Every day, I miss my father, who died of cancer in 2016, and I can never thank him enough for holding my hand to the very end.

There is something gratifying, and beyond lucky, about coming to the end of “Thrones.” I’m so happy to be here to see the end of this story and the beginning of whatever comes next.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

Yeah..this.

It is the one time I give them a pass. That movie was bad and you don't want to give the impression that you have anything to do with it.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Yeah..this.

It is the one time I give them a pass. That movie was bad and you don't want to give the impression that you have anything to do with it.
    I would argue that saying that casting another black actor for the role is enough to have a "connection" with the movie is problematic in of itself

White Dude shouldn't be the safe default, especially since Elba was the first adaptation of Roland in live action and his race isn't specified in the books

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Ugh so pumped

I gotta make some time to rewatch the whole show before then I guess

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Just when all my childhood dreams seemed to have come true, I nearly lost my mind and then my life. I’ve never told this story publicly, but now it’s time.

Emilia Clarke did a lengthy personal essay for the New Yorker https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/emilia-clarke-a-battle-for-my-life-brain-aneurysm-surgery-game-of-thrones She had two life-threatening brain aneurysms this decade, the first after completing season one of GoT
    But now, after keeping quiet all these years, I’m telling you the truth in full. Please believe me: I know that I am hardly unique, hardly alone. Countless people have suffered far worse, and with nothing like the care I was so lucky to receive.

A few weeks after that second surgery, I went with a few other cast members to Comic-Con, in San Diego. The fans at Comic-Con are hardcore; you don’t want to disappoint them. There were several thousand people in the audience, and, right before we went on to answer questions, I was hit by a horrific headache. Back came that sickeningly familiar sense of fear. I thought, This is it. My time is up; I’ve cheated death twice and now he’s coming to claim me. As I stepped offstage, my publicist looked at me and asked what was wrong. I told her, but she said that a reporter from MTV was waiting for an interview. I figured, if I’m going to go, it might as well be on live television.

But I survived. I survived MTV and so much more. In the years since my second surgery I have healed beyond my most unreasonable hopes. I am now at a hundred per cent. Beyond my work as an actor, I’ve decided to throw myself into a charity I’ve helped develop in conjunction with partners in the U.K. and the U.S. It is called SameYou, and it aims to provide treatment for people recovering from brain injuries and stroke. I feel endless gratitude—to my mum and brother, to my doctors and nurses, to my friends. Every day, I miss my father, who died of cancer in 2016, and I can never thank him enough for holding my hand to the very end.

There is something gratifying, and beyond lucky, about coming to the end of “Thrones.” I’m so happy to be here to see the end of this story and the beginning of whatever comes next.

Man, fuck that publicist.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Yeah..this.

I would argue that saying that casting another black actor for the role is enough to have a "connection" with the movie is problematic in of itself

White Dude shouldn't be the safe default, especially since Elba was the first adaptation of Roland in live action and his race isn't specified in the books

There are dozens of illustrations, an entire comic and interviews where King himself mentions Clint Eastwood though. I was all for Elba, he did an amazing job even if the movie around him stunk on ice. He is an amazing actor and a damn handsome man who you can give any roll in the universe and I will show up to watch, but I still think we are at a place in media where unfortunately if you cast a black actor in the next adaptation your going to link it to the last given it was perceived to be a Caucasian character. Is that morally justified? Probably not, but it makes sense to distance yourself from a failed project as much as possible for fear of people tuning out before ever giving you a chance.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Ugh so pumped

lemme know when you start that so we can do a simultaneous re-watch

it's been forever and a day since i dropped into the world of deadwood

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Going for the Clint Eastwood cowboy is boring at this point, that is the assumed default for cowboys even though historically the majority of them were black

Anything is more interesting than Clint Eastwood

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Going for the Clint Eastwood cowboy is boring at this point, that is the assumed default for cowboys even though historically the majority of them were black

Anything except a John Wayne cowboy

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

What if they just make him Woody from toy story

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I mean Woody, the plastic toy I had as a kid, definitely has more emotional range than John Wayne

• Options

What if they just make him Woody from toy story

A man with a pullstring in his back and a poorly-written name under his boot would be implicitly more interesting yeah

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    i would absolutely love to see a gruff post-apocalyptic cowboy felled by a snake in his boots

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I mean Woody, the plastic toy I had as a kid, definitely has more emotional range than John Wayne

rwfhfc3skwb0.png

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Ugh so pumped

lemme know when you start that so we can do a simultaneous re-watch

it's been forever and a day since i dropped into the world of deadwood

Hell yeah let's play the Deadwood drinking game some Saturday

(get a bottle of whiskey, take a shot every time Al does, see how many episodes you make it before you die)

• Options
    i know nothing about the dark tower

is there a waterhole?

can it be poisoned?

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    How often do you think there were snakes in boots

That has to be just the worst fuckin experience

• Options
    3ae.jpg
    Woody reading that Playboy interview with John Wayne

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    How often do you think there were snakes in boots

That has to be just the worst fuckin experience

A boot all warm and sweaty from a full day of riding, that's gotta be like snake heaven, especially at night when a chill comes down

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    i know nothing about the dark tower

is there a waterhole?

can it be poisoned?

It's been awhile since I read the books but I think this exact thing happens.

There are also 5 foot long aggressively murderous lobsters. And that is about the least weird thing in the books.

• Options
    Hey do you think the Toy Story segment in Kingdom Hearts 3 is gonna end up being a better Toy Story than Toy Story 4

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.