As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Possible animal contamination from the substance they tried to clean up the green poison with?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Rhah wrote: »
    Zetx wrote: »
    The PCs do idle animations where they're swatting at/away insects, fwiw

I know when I got my new headset I was playing with the settings and one of the settings definitely allowed me to hear a TON of buzzing everywhere there was trash. I switched back to some other mode and don't hear it anymore but they are there on one of the audio channels, so the implication is that there are f'n flies EVERYWHERE cause of all the trash.

That's really just DC in Summer though.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    So, the weekly ubi challenges just reward in game money and ubi xp? Not the actual ubi points that you can buy club stuff with? They seem a little irritating to only reward what they do.

Achievements give you ubi points.

Some of them, anyway.

Sadly, "TV Cop" just nets you 5 achievement points/bronze trophy/etc...

Remember kids, parkour ass slide across a car hood at least once.

Yeah, not all achievements give ubi points.

Also, note: Starting in April, Ubi Points will expire (retroactively) after two years. So... if you have been accumulating points, you want to use them. Esp. if they're from old games (earned pre-2017). EG: I have ~600 points left, and I have to spend ~450 points.

100 points is a 20% off coupon from the ubi store, so...yeah.

They also removed the option to buy stuff from games you havent played yet.

I know I'm getting AC Odyssey eventually but I cant use my Ubi points on stuff for that, that part annoys me a bit.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Croaker wrote: »
    Fairchild wrote: »
    I do laugh at the Vegan Hippie sensibilities of the devs. The various communities are full of gardens and solar panels and community libraries, but no livestock or chicken coops. Protein, people ! Iron, calcium ! Humans need these things.

Ah yes, the well known vegan hippie sensibilities of "did you have a gun? did your neighbor?"

That exact line is so perfectly calibrated to be easily interpreted as either the most pro or most anti second amendment moment of the intro

I was genuinely impressed that they threaded the needle so slyly — I really don’t know which read is correct

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    So, the weekly ubi challenges just reward in game money and ubi xp? Not the actual ubi points that you can buy club stuff with? They seem a little irritating to only reward what they do.

Achievements give you ubi points.

Some of them, anyway.

Sadly, "TV Cop" just nets you 5 achievement points/bronze trophy/etc...

Remember kids, parkour ass slide across a car hood at least once.

Yeah, not all achievements give ubi points.

Also, note: Starting in April, Ubi Points will expire (retroactively) after two years. So... if you have been accumulating points, you want to use them. Esp. if they're from old games (earned pre-2017). EG: I have ~600 points left, and I have to spend ~450 points.

100 points is a 20% off coupon from the ubi store, so...yeah.

They also removed the option to buy stuff from games you havent played yet.

I know I'm getting AC Odyssey eventually but I cant use my Ubi points on stuff for that, that part annoys me a bit.

Yeah, I own a bunch of other Ubi games (Watch Dogs 2, many assassin's creeds) but I can't claim rewards from them yet. I have to launch them on my xbox. So annoying. I have most installed on my external though. Will have to remember to do that before April.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    desc wrote: »
    Croaker wrote: »
    I do laugh at the Vegan Hippie sensibilities of the devs. The various communities are full of gardens and solar panels and community libraries, but no livestock or chicken coops. Protein, people ! Iron, calcium ! Humans need these things.

Ah yes, the well known vegan hippie sensibilities of "did you have a gun? did your neighbor?"

That exact line is so perfectly calibrated to be easily interpreted as either the most pro or most anti second amendment moment of the intro

I was genuinely impressed that they threaded the needle so slyly — I really don’t know which read is correct

I'm well into the campaign and cannot figure out whether:
    Macho president is being played as 80s action movie gung-ho or outright sinister. I can't even tell if it is meant to be ambiguous.

Also, my Division agent co-part creeps me out a bit. I like that she's into finding the viral cure, but she seems really too enthused about the murder and absolute power perks of being an agent in the audio logs.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Also, my Division agent co-part creeps me out a bit.
    I like that she's into finding the viral cure, but she seems really too enthused about the murder and absolute power perks of being an agent in the audio logs.

Her facial generation is particularly poor. She looks like she's 15 years old and about to break into tears at any moment.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kelso spoilers and general world tier 4 spoilers with regards to presidents...

She is absolutely a sociopath and probably a bad person. Like she just wants to kill people with absolute authority that was how they recruited her to the division.

And I'm pretty sure the president is working with Black Tusk, when you "rescue" him from the Hyena's he's not at all in a bad way at all, he's not caged, hand cuffed or anything else, and we know the hyenas were supplied by black tusk. They mention he was pinched from the white house without struggle which tells me he left with the broad spectrum anti viral.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2019
    Given the requirements of being an agent... they all fall into pretty much two buckets:

"Crazies":

- Keener, most of the other agents that are rogue.
    Kelso: "...absolute extrajudicial powers? Sign me up!"

Fanatical Nationalists:

- Lau, your first partner at the start of this game (maybe), most of the agents that got killed directly by rogue agents

tastydonuts on
  • SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Dark Zone rank 50+ each rank onwards gives you a High End cache with 1 HE weapon (even before 30, I'm 26), 1 HE armor piece and 17-22 of those key fragments you need for unlocking store crates.

I had an empty DZ yesterday and tried hacking the network and went "Rogue" and triangulated Thieves Den.
    What do you get from the backpack (that I couldnt interact with) with the Thieves Den perk? All I could find was explosive ammo to use inside DZ, I thought there woulld be a vendor in there.

Sirialis on
    Eh I don't think its fair to call Lau a fanatical nationalist. She always came across as someone just trying to keep the new york situation from getting worse than it already was. She didn't seem to go out of her way to be all "WE MUST DO THIS FOR AMERICA!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Eh I don't think its fair to call Lau a fanatical nationalist. She always came across as someone just trying to keep the new york situation from getting worse than it already was. She didn't seem to go out of her way to be all "WE MUST DO THIS FOR AMERICA!"

A fanatic doesn't necessarily have to be "ON" at all times no more than crazies have a boner for power/killing. Sides, Lau joined for NYC. :P

I just don't get the "fanatic" part for Lau. I mean there are people who probably joined the division just to serve their country. People do that all the time for regular military.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Dark Zone rank 50+ each rank onwards gives you a High End cache with 1 HE weapon (even before 30, I'm 26), 1 HE armor piece and 17-22 of those key fragments you need for unlocking store crates.

I had an empty DZ yesterday and tried hacking the network and went "Rogue" and triangulated Thieves Den.
    What do you get from the backpack (that I couldnt interact with) with the Thieves Den perk? All I could find was explosive ammo to use inside DZ, I thought there woulld be a vendor in there.
    Is there supposed to be more to the Thieves Dens than a way to clear rogue status?

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »

Is there supposed to be more to the Thieves Dens than a way to clear rogue status?

Not that it isn't still clearing rogue status - but its there as the end result of the cat and mouse game that is the gray rogue status - there is also the ability to get a vendor in there that sells some stuff etc.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
    edited March 2019
    Preacher wrote: »
    I just don't get the "fanatic" part for Lau. I mean there are people who probably joined the division just to serve their country. People do that all the time for regular military.

But at the same time, not every person who joins the military is a Division agent, nor does every person who joins the military do so just to serve their country. Joining the reserves/signing up as a way to pay for college, a sense of generational "obligation," etc.

A Division Agent is required to kill American civilians without hesitation. They're not just fighting "foreign" enemies. I would argue that there were factors in Lau's personality and the like wherein she displayed sufficient levels of devotion to warrant consideration and recruitment into The Division, even though she seemed otherwise reasonable. We just never saw a circumstance where it's pretty obvious she's way out there too.

all I'm saying is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDcjUnrCg2o

tastydonuts on
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Man, I'd shoot people all day long and looters twice on sundays before I'd shoot a dog.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Iraq War veterans, the infantry guys, tell me that wild dogs were a real problem for foot patrols, given how unpredictably aggressive they could become. Patrols would usually carry shotguns just to handle the dogs.

So in that respect, FALLOUT 76 is pretty accurate.

Fairchild on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Ran into two separate invisible barriers for open doorways last night. Both during bounties and both ultimately kept me from collecting boss item loot. I still received XP for the kill, but they weren't close enough to grab anything.

Kinda frustrating but, in retrospect, I should've just walked away when I realized the barrier was there rather than try to coax the mobs toward me.

Decoy on
  • RussadRussad MARegistered User regular
    I got stuck trying to go up some stairs last night. If I moved the mouse just right, I could see a square that was intersecting the stairs. It was outdoors and as far as I could tell this wasn't something you weren't supposed to be able to walk up. Just seemed to be a random polygon that had found it's way into the stairs that I couldn't pass through.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I like finding the collectibles that have small environmental puzzles in reaching them. Like one on a small roof that requires you to trace it backwards to another building to navigate through. Or one that needs you to get to a specific angle vantage point to shoot a lock

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Russad wrote: »
    I got stuck trying to go up some stairs last night. If I moved the mouse just right, I could see a square that was intersecting the stairs. It was outdoors and as far as I could tell this wasn't something you weren't supposed to be able to walk up. Just seemed to be a random polygon that had found it's way into the stairs that I couldn't pass through.

There are definitely......rough spots in the game, that's for sure. Just going to toss in three things that I spotted last night (so far, the glitchiest night I've played...and that includes my time playing the technical alpha and the betas). One of these things I mentioned in chat!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Iraq War veterans, the infantry guys, tell me that wild dogs were a real problem for foot patrols, given how unpredictably aggressive they could become. Patrols would usually carry shotguns just to handle the dogs.

So in that respect, FALLOUT 76 is pretty accurate.

Feral dogs can be very dangerous. They lack the fear of humans that wild canids and they at some level associate humans has having/providing food so when they are feral they can be randomly aggressive/unpredictable if you are entering their territory or they are hungry. A lot of those dogs if you take the time could be tamed again but that takes time and care and running across a feral dog pack on the prowl is a real potential danger and has to be taken seriously. I am honestly kinda surprised the dogs in this game are not hostiles.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I like finding the collectibles that have small environmental puzzles in reaching them. Like one on a small roof that requires you to trace it backwards to another building to navigate through. Or one that needs you to get to a specific angle vantage point to shoot a lock

Yello cables are the sign you need to follow to various things, like vantage points to shoot locks, electrical boxes etc.

Yellow anything is meant to signify the path forward, a good design decision I think, because it's done subtly.

• finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    Would the dogs you see in TD2 likely be "wild" by the point in the timeline? Either way I doubt Ubisoft saw people as wanting to shoot former pets...

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    Hmmm, that's good to know about the yellow cable stuff. I had no idea that was a thing in this game.

Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Saldonas wrote: »
    Hmmm, that's good to know about the yellow cable stuff. I had no idea that was a thing in this game.

Yellow anything in this game usually signifies something.

Yellow Cable? Follow that sucker because it will lead to something
    Yellow Tarp/Curb? You can mantle up/down that.

• Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    That was a thing in skyrim. Follow the water and you will always find your way in a dungeon.

I know other games have done similar and as a design choice it’s clever and saves having to hand hold the player by other means.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Early-ish game Kelso talk like 4th main mission
    It may even be earlier than that, but I liked how in that mission we're trying to rescue a hostage. The bad guys are like "we'll kill them if you keep coming". Kelso says they're smarter than that they'lll keep them alive just get in there and take them out. So you do. "Back off or we'll kill him!" Kelso "Get em" Oh they killed him. Shock and revenge!
    I couldn't tell if Kelso was supposed to seem skeevy there, or if it's just the Clancy world view stuff. I've mostly tuned out on the plot, but that seemed a bit goofy for you as the PC to not say, Uh, are we sure about this plan?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    It may even be earlier than that, but I liked how in that mission we're trying to rescue a hostage. The bad guys are like "we'll kill them if you keep coming". Kelso says they're smarter than that they'lll keep them alive just get in there and take them out. So you do. "Back off or we'll kill him!" Kelso "Get em" Oh they killed him. Shock and revenge!
    I couldn't tell if Kelso was supposed to seem skeevy there, or if it's just the Clancy world view stuff. I've mostly tuned out on the plot, but that seemed a bit goofy for you as the PC to not say, Uh, are we sure about this plan?

It seems to be a recurring thing.

From Division 1 - Russian Consulate mission
    You didn't get Vitaly? Oh well, I don't need him, I've got his notes!

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I just started playing with a controller on PC to see what it's like and now, man i'm torn. Yes there's an accuracy hit but the PC UI/Keys are just so silly in menus etc. And so good with a controller it's like..i don't even know. I might start using a controller whenever i'm doing PVE and switch to kbam for pvp. The game seems very obviously made for controller with kbam tacked on as an afterthought, everything apart from aiming just feels so much more fluid and natural

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    yeah the menus are so awful; so much of it works weird as shit with KB+M.

i still don't know how to easily navigate mod slot interface, and usually just mash wasd until it randomly goes to the slot I want to change

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »

It seems to be a recurring thing.

From Division 1 - Russian Consulate mission
    You didn't get Vitaly? Oh well, I don't need him, I've got his notes!

Yeah but...
    ...the doctor's not part of the Division. She just acts like a jackass when it comes to finding a cure.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    yeah the menus are so awful; so much of it works weird as shit with KB+M.

i still don't know how to easily navigate mod slot interface, and usually just mash wasd until it randomly goes to the slot I want to change

The UX in this game is probably the worst I've ever seen for KBAM. It makes no sense. I have to click on a name, then hit space bar to bring up the party menu? Or double click, but why? This isn't the windows desktop.

Also yes, i think the UI for mods is literally broken. You have to double click on the slot to open it. If you hit spacebar it will always open the scope slot (or whatever is first, if the item doesn't have it) no matter which slot you have selected.

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    The menus might suck with KBAM, but I spend about 5% of my game time in them. Prioritising the controls for menus seems counter productive.

Yeah, the doctor's just has awful people skills...

In Kelso's defense, she does tell him to wait for backup... when he got captured, he was no longer useful, and really already dead.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    -Loki- wrote: »
    The menus might suck with KBAM, but I spend about 5% of my game time in them. Prioritising the controls for menus seems counter productive.

5% of the game time is so bad it makes me actively angry to engage with it. That's huge, and it should be much simpler to work with and fic than player character controls, which require a lot of fine tuning to get the feel right. These days they're usually completely systems that overlay on the game, like ScaleForm.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Added my info to the spreadsheet and submitted a request to join the overflow clan.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Yellow anything is meant to signify the path forward, a good design decision I think, because it's done subtly.
    Yeah, like yellow nameplates for clanmates.

26904.png