As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cristoval's Art Hole, tunneling for love

13»

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like that muchly. Simple. Nice.

I'm not sure what the bright white lines are though, and why they don't connect to the tower. Also it desn't really look like it's sitting on the ground, kinda like it would tip over.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hrmm, I'll perhaps try a different colour. They are supposed to be those V things that keep the power lines suspended. I'm sure there is a name for them.

Edit:

Owlin_ColourChange.jpg

Cristoval on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should give the owl those V chest things that they always have, that would make it super mega cute(r)

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the feedback, I think I've finally almost settled on a look I enjoy.

NewOwl_Small.jpg

Cristoval on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looks really good. Could've confused it as a Beavotron piece, which means it looks nice.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh god i love it
    i love the darker version more though

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks!

I think there might be an issue with uploading it as a CMYK file, since it made the last version considerably darker on my iPhone. Looks fine from a monitor though...

Cristoval on
  • Options
    AimAim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The V things are insulators - They're there to isolate the cable from the tower. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_insulation#High-voltage_insulators

Aim on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I'm sorry. I'm so very, very sorry everyone.

DoctorWhoPoster.jpg

It had to be done.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh....my....god. D:

You should be ashamed of yourself for being so skilled at capturing Disney's ability to ruin things.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Mustang, I do take great pride in painting mustaches on the Mona Lisa...

I was hoping to do this in time for April fools, but yeah, too slow. In any case the idea stuck with me and I decided to see it through.

Here's a better look at some of the elements...

DALEKS.png

TARDIS.png

and an updated poster

DoctorWhoPoster_WithTitle.jpg

Edit: No text

DoctorWhoPoster_NoTitle.jpg

Cristoval on
  • Options
    beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    you are a friggen talented dude
    we need to team up or something, jesus.

beavotron on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Thanks Beavo! A team up would be the knee's of the bee's!

I do not believe the art world would be prepared for such a rocking.

Cristoval on
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    More people should be commenting on this. I mark it up to them all being massive jerks.

Mustang on
  • Options
    KendeathwalkerKendeathwalker Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    to be honest I was confused at first. I was like why the hell is this guy posting a random movie poster in his thread. so.. awesome because you certainly fooled me in to thinking it was real.

Im not to familiar with Dr.Who so the humor was lost on me.

Also you need to put "tits" or KDW look here or something in your thread title. I seem to always glaze over it..

Kendeathwalker on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also you need to put "tits" or KDW look here or something in your thread title. I seem to always glaze over it..

Yeah, your thread deserves a better title.

Paradise on
  • Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Needs some kind of dreadful insinuation that you, kids, are the 12th Doctor.

God, it's awful. It's perfect, Crist.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Needs some kind of dreadful insinuation that you, kids, are the 12th Doctor.

God, it's awful. It's perfect, Crist.

I was definitely thinking about this. Maybe something equally terrible like "WHO ya gonna call?".

Originally there was going to be real life actors on this poster. I was thinking Jim Carey as the doctor (who, near the end of the film, transforms into Nicolas Cage or some such thing), with like Amy Adams as his companion. When doctored on it all looked overly silly though....

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Half Iago. Half Fu Manchu. All Bastard. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That poster is great.

I want to use it to prank a couple of guys I know who are hardcore Doctor Who fans.

Agent Vesago on
    Clowns.jpg
  • Options
    IkageIkage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Delicious eye candy this whole thread.

The Doctor Who picture had me rolling.

Ikage on
    STRONGER THEN DIRT!! DIRT STRONG!
  • Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Glorious.

Reporting this for awesome.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Huh, whua... what's going on? Oh! An update!

I've been wanting to get back into actual drawing, and there's no one who is more fun to draw Mr. DDL. This is my first attempt at digital painting in... frig I don't even know anymore. Anyway.

comic_small.jpg

Bonus draft:
    rough.jpg
    photo2-1.jpg

Cristoval on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    dang so your update made me look through your thread and I gotta say I am very impressed with your models and your artistic talent! I assume you've been working with maya for awhile to get such nice looking models, even without worrying about how many polys you are using. Do you have any recommendations on books for modeling? I've done a few things with 3ds max for games but nothing is even comparable to what you bring to the table

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Although I was taught mostly through first hand experience at school, this book has proven mighty useful for brushing up on the basics when I forget a thing or two: http://tinyurl.com/3b6gpoo (Ugh, I forgot how to hyper link text!)

The Hyper-Realistic Creature Creation Series (http://tinyurl.com/4yhbxqz) are always very handy, and it's tutorials can apply to any type of character modelling as well. I'm still pretty crap at Z-brush or any type of normal mapping program, but it's something I really want to get started on next. If you can get a hold of a program like that it will most definitely be worth your time.

And thanks :)

Cristoval on
  • Options
    Huuuurrggghhhhhhh, I haven't updated this thread in a while so let me just brush off the years collected dust and cobwebs and throw all prior artwork into this medium-sized fire I created. A lot has happened since *squints* ...2011? Jeez, I worked for a video production company that stole a bunch of money from its employees and then went bankrupt, in 2012 I worked for a hunting and sportsman television channel that stole a bunch of money from its employees, gambled it off, but refused to go bankrupt due to lax Canadian Television laws, and now I work graphic design for a local iced hockey sports team which I will not speak ill of.

Anyway, here's some stuff I made in the interim...

I really like creating fake (or "concept" if you wanna be fancy) products! Here's some of them!

These were created exclusively in photoshop (aside from the background) with initial vector outline in Illustrator:

SwatchF.webp

SwatchBlack.webp

Switch-Box2.webp

I want this design to come back:

ADIDAS%20JERSEY%20MOCKUP%20TEMPLATE%20B.webp

And here are some digital paintings I've been up to. This Forza one was initially a "concept" as well but it ended up coming true that the series would take place in Australia (the Sunshine Coast no less! They left out the hinterland portion of it though so boo) so now I can't classify it as such.

FozaHorizon3_Festival.webp

AlaskaOil.webp

I haven't done much 3D in a while, and have fallen out of hand drawn stuff but am looking to get back into doing that soon. I'm old and time is escaping me!

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Wow great stuff!
    Are those from the ground up paintings or more of a photobash thing? Either way they look fantastic.
    Do you have process pic/vids?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Thanks! Photobash mostly (a word I just learned?? This is the name to what I do after all these years?!) with a mix of painting in the Alaska one, but Switch designs were ground up from vector illustration to a crap tonne of shading and layering in Photoshop (minus the background).

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    Thanks! Photobash mostly (a word I just learned?? This is the name to what I do after all these years?!) with a mix of painting in the Alaska one, but Switch designs were ground up from vector illustration to a crap tonne of shading and layering in Photoshop (minus the background).

I also just learned the term!
    For so long I was like "what do you call that concept art thing where it's not purely a collage but it's also clearly not a painting"
    Yeah the switch was more clearly created whole cloth.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    I'm been loving doing skeumorphism lately (as was done on the Nintendo switch earlier) and have been using it to create some realistic visuals on a new piece I'm creating for a future event. I can't show the entire piece yet but I'm proud of this little element (what could it be??)

BeepBoop.webp

Here are a couple more pieces as well from an earlier version of the project. Created in illustrator. The Y-Wing detail was a particular point of frustration and pride.

EOK_X-Wing_ART%20copy.webp

EOK_Y-Wing_ART.webp

Cristoval on