As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Good drops tonight folks. Pulled out some surprising wins.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Good drops tonight folks. Pulled out some surprising wins.

Yeah, I was not expecting that win on Polar Highlands Assault. I also wasn't expecting to come out with my armor intact, what with a LRM-boating Archer constantly lobbing missiles at my 51kph Highlander-Heavy Metal (then again, with full Survivability skills, it has 98/155/98 frontal ST/CT/ST armor to chew through).

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    I think I finally found a TBR build that works (the one I was using in that match).

UAC/10 in the right torso. 5 ERML spread throughout arms and left torso. TBR-S right torso for jump jets. It's very similar to a build Baradul had a few months back. Just brawly enough for me to play with, I just need to get used to the torso twist speed so I can lead UAC shots better on it.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Skins on those preorder variants look nice.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Why they never give neat looking light mechs??? :'( I wish I could exchange those preorder mechs for MC and get more light mechs instead.

With all the MC the current event has been raining on me, I might actually buy some paint colors, too.

monkeykins on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Why they never give neat looking light mechs??? :'( I wish I could exchange those preorder mechs for MC and get more light mechs instead.

With all the MC the current event has been raining on me, I might actually buy some paint colors, too.

Guessing because they are cheap enough? Dunno. I say just wait for a sale and pick up a Pirate's Bane. MWUAHAHAHAHA!!!

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    The Pirates Bane will be my next purchase. That looks fun.

• NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    monkeykins wrote: »
    The Pirates Bane will be my next purchase. That looks fun.

As someone that's potentially ruined his eyesight permanently from all the cockpit-level machine gun dakka, I give it a solid Two Crossed Eyes Up!

Who needs eyesight when you're 20 tons and have ECM? You're piloting by feel in that cockpit anyway!

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    I actually fired up MWO and played a match for the first time in what must be about a year. As much as the Broadside, in name alone, demands running an LBX/SRM loadout, that 20% Gauss cooldown from quirks is just too good to pass up. Shame too, because the Gauss feels like a much too civilized weapon for the Corsair. Alas, those Gauss Rifles are ready to fire again before you are, and can easily carry any backup weapons you want to run. I chose an ER PPC to pair with the Gauss and some Mediums to shine at enemy Lights that invade my personal space while I line up the bigger guns.

I don't know if PGI ever adjusted it, but my experiences with Banshees made me hesitant to put anything less than a 340 in, but I was so satisfied with how agile it felt, I might end up downgrading the engine a bit for more toys.

BROADSIDE got me a kill and about 400 damage on my first time out with a new mech after not playing the game for a year, so it's probably pretty nice when you get comfortable with using Gauss Rifles.

I ran mine with a Heavy Gauss, but think I'm going to switch back to two Gauss so I can do the same thing that everybody else does. Plus I swear that the cooldown only works with the regular Gauss.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    PB got a huge buff from the stealth armor rework

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited March 2019
    PB got a huge buff from the stealth armor rework

Sammich, why do you have to say such sexy things while I'm in earshot?

[edit] I legit can't believe I could be running this right now: PIRATE'S BANE

That seems...gross? I mean, not Piranha or Arctic Cheetah gross, but...

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    You can run 4 medium lasers with stealth armor on in the PB and be heat-positive.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    PGI blinked, the 4 New mechs will eventually be available for MC/Cbills

Betsuni wrote: »
    I ran mine with a Heavy Gauss, but think I'm going to switch back to two Gauss so I can do the same thing that everybody else does. Plus I swear that the cooldown only works with the regular Gauss.

According to Nav-Alpha, the heavy gauss also gets the same 4s cooldown time as the regular gauss.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    You can run 4 medium lasers with stealth armor on in the PB and be heat-positive.

Uh, wouldn't heat positive mean you're producing heat faster than you can sink it?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »

Uh, wouldn't heat positive mean you're producing heat faster than you can sink it?

Oh hmm yeah I suppose. Rather to say you can run stealth armor, 4xMLaser and still have enough heat sinks to vent heat while stealth is active.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular

Oh hmm yeah I suppose. Rather to say you can run stealth armor, 4xMLaser and still have enough heat sinks to vent heat while stealth is active.
    ...shit, I might need this in my life.

Glal wrote: »

It is a beautiful thing.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Glal wrote: »

friend,,,,its good

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Where's the sales whisperer, is there a Lights sale coming?

No idea... But all this talk about the Pirate's Bane made me pull it out of mothball. Oh my... I forgot how much I love this mech. I love the speed. The stealth. The size. Why did I ever leave you?

oosik_betsuni.png
    No idea... But all this talk about the Pirate's Bane made me pull it out of mothball. Oh my... I forgot how much I love this mech. I love the speed. The stealth. The size. Why did I ever leave you?

One word:

Flea

edited March 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »

One word:

Flea

Shhhh. Shhhh. Shhhh...

He didn't mean that Locust. You are still special.

*Looks at his Piranha*

Edit:

Yeah, I go and do something like this.
    This is why my poor Pirate's Bane is left in mothball.

pir_vs_lct.png

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Tonight I managed to get classic Frozen City on my Hunchback IIC...
    The one that is equipped with dual UAC/20s...
    And the enemy assaults spent almost all their time in that trench

Wanna watch an assault panic? Throw 80 damage into its chest and then watch it realize there's no place for it to seek cover.

Alright, damnit. You assholes gentle folk got me back into trying to scratch this 'Mech itch. I've gone ahead and built that Quad-ML Stealth Pirate's Bane.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning one of the skill trees is fucked? Which one? How so?

I'm not taking my precious baby out of the hangar bay until I know my skills are set up right.

edited March 2019
    Nips wrote: »
    Alright, damnit. You assholes gentle folk got me back into trying to scratch this 'Mech itch. I've gone ahead and built that Quad-ML Stealth Pirate's Bane.

I vaguely remember someone mentioning one of the skill trees is fucked? Which one? How so?

I'm not taking my precious baby out of the hangar bay until I know my skills are set up right.

Operations.

More specifically, since the heat overhaul, the Heat Containment nodes are useless. Like, literally and not over-exaggeratingly figuratively useless.

Erlkönig on
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Dangit, more MW5 pre-order freebies.

Pre-order before April 9th to qualify for CPLT-C2 (S), WHM-9D (S), MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 16th to qualify for WHM-9D (S), MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 23rd to qualify for MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 30th to qualify for KGC-001 (S)

Is there a reward tier that opens a longer than one month beta where feedback might actually be useful?

5gsowHm.png
    edited March 2019

Operations.

More specifically, since the heat overhaul, the Heat Containment nodes are useless. Like, literally and not over-exaggeratingly figuratively useless.

Well, butts. I'm eyeball-deep in Operations on this PB. It's just Heat Containment though, and not say Cool Run (dissipation rate)? I think I could trim the HC nodes without losing too many of the CR nodes in the process.

[Edit] Okay, dropped the HC nodes (and stuff around it), and picked up what I could for Heat Generation in the Firepower tree and anything that looked usable along the way.

Can someone peep this tree setup, and tell me if I'm doing something wholesale wrong?

a5f5b830f600dda54ba0904c3bc7276e6f37f00005808c30e0000800d0200

Nips on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    The broken skill tree nodes rustle my jimmies to no end. Especially since they've knew about the issue when they rolled the heat changes, and still haven't fixed the problem, or even so much as refunded the damn nodes. And there's zero information in game to tell you they don't work. Shit like that and pointlessly complicated mechanics like ghost heat are why I'm not pre purchasing MW5.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Dangit, more MW5 pre-order freebies.

Pre-order before April 9th to qualify for CPLT-C2 (S), WHM-9D (S), MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 16th to qualify for WHM-9D (S), MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 23rd to qualify for MAD- 9M (S), KGC-001 (S)
    Pre-order before April 30th to qualify for KGC-001 (S)

Is there a reward tier that opens a longer than one month beta where feedback might actually be useful?

No, PGI doesn't like Feedback that might cost them more manhours of work.

Like players telling them in MWO Beta that they should standardize mech sizes to tonnage, and that remaining a problem to this day that they have barely attempted to paper over with quirks and the occasional hitbox adjustment.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »
    When you double tap on UAC's inside the ghost heat window, does that generate ghost heat as if you had equipped over the HSL limit?

If it's a single UAC20 (for example), no. There's enough of a delay between firing that you won'tshouldn't trigger ghost heat.

However, if you have two UAC20s mounted and you fire the second UAC at any time while the first is firing its burst, you'll trigger ghost heat.

Sort of correct. UAC burst fire won't trigger the ghost heat if fired from the original volley. Ghost heat triggers if you fire within 0.5 seconds of pressing the fire key. So let's look at UAC/20's as an example, with a limit of 1.

Fire one UAC/20, no ghost heat.
    Fire one UAC/20, then fire again as soon as the first shot is out, no ghost heat.
    Fire two UAC/20s simultaneously, ghost heat.
    Fire one UAC/20, burst fire it, wait 0.5s after clicking the burst fire, fire a second UAC/20 and burst fire it, no ghost heat.
    Fire one UAC/20, wait 0.5s, fire second UAC/20, wait 0.5s, burst fire 1st UAC/20, burst fire 2nd UAC/20, no ghost heat.
    Fire one UAC/20, burst fire it and fire the 2nd UAC/20 at the same time, ghost heat.

Always remember that ghost heat is based on when your shot starts (when you click the fire button). So, for example, if you ran 4 LRM/20 on a Nova Cat CC (heat limit is 2), you could fire a pair, then while the first pair is still streaming missles out, after 0.5 seconds you can fire the 2nd pair without ghost heat.

edited March 2019
    Heffling wrote: »
    lazegamer wrote: »
    When you double tap on UAC's inside the ghost heat window, does that generate ghost heat as if you had equipped over the HSL limit?

If it's a single UAC20 (for example), no. There's enough of a delay between firing that you won'tshouldn't trigger ghost heat.

However, if you have two UAC20s mounted and you fire the second UAC at any time while the first is firing its burst, you'll trigger ghost heat.

Sort of correct. UAC burst fire won't trigger the ghost heat if fired from the original volley. Ghost heat triggers if you fire within 0.5 seconds of pressing the fire key. So let's look at UAC/20's as an example, with a limit of 1.

Fire one UAC/20, no ghost heat.
    Fire one UAC/20, then fire again as soon as the first shot is out, no ghost heat.
    Fire two UAC/20s simultaneously, ghost heat.
    Fire one UAC/20, burst fire it, wait 0.5s after clicking the burst fire, fire a second UAC/20 and burst fire it, no ghost heat.
    Fire one UAC/20, wait 0.5s, fire second UAC/20, wait 0.5s, burst fire 1st UAC/20, burst fire 2nd UAC/20, no ghost heat.
    Fire one UAC/20, burst fire it and fire the 2nd UAC/20 at the same time, ghost heat.

Always remember that ghost heat is based on when your shot starts (when you click the fire button). So, for example, if you ran 4 LRM/20 on a Nova Cat CC (heat limit is 2), you could fire a pair, then while the first pair is still streaming missles out, after 0.5 seconds you can fire the 2nd pair without ghost heat.

Was that patched? Because the last time I tried it out, this would trip ghost heat if you fired the second UAC at any time during the first UAC's burst (heat behavior was identical to firing both UACs at the same time).

EDIT - so, for example:

First UAC20 on LMB
    Second UAC20 on RMB

Press LMB, wait .5s after initial pressing (inside the burst window) press RMB = ghost heat

EDIT2 - oh hey! look at that. PGI did patch it! I distinctly remember that being a thing back a whiles ago because it was what caused me to switch my UAC20 Mad Cat Mk2 to a twin-gauss Mad Cat Mk2.

Erlkönig on

Operations.

Well, butts. I'm eyeball-deep in Operations on this PB. It's just Heat Containment though, and not say Cool Run (dissipation rate)? I think I could trim the HC nodes without losing too many of the CR nodes in the process.

[Edit] Okay, dropped the HC nodes (and stuff around it), and picked up what I could for Heat Generation in the Firepower tree and anything that looked usable along the way.

Can someone peep this tree setup, and tell me if I'm doing something wholesale wrong?

a5f5b830f600dda54ba0904c3bc7276e6f37f00005808c30e0000800d0200

That tree setup seemed ok. I personally don't care about the Aux tree, but that's just me. Here's mine with less armor, but ECM buffing. I might tweak it to have more armor like yours.

a1f0f1fcc16d9de560f0000008062101cf37f0000e86f635ea7660c000000

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, all those armor nodes are kind of a holdover from the last time I played, and Bug 'Mechs would explode if anyone even looked at you sideways.

Nips on
    I sort of like the armor nodes since I sometimes stand still while sniping or coring out from behind. Not sure if it actually helps though.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    armor/structure nodes are generally a pretty good investment, though on faster/ecm lights you might be better just putting more points in mobility and/or ecm nodes

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Live more always good because dying is bad

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    What invisible stat is making vehicles indestructible until a second mech alpha strikes it? They usually don't have Evasion when I unload on them, but they don't go down until I've fired upon them twice.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    armor/structure nodes are generally a pretty good investment, though on faster/ecm lights you might be better just putting more points in mobility and/or ecm nodes
    Live more always good because dying is bad

This is why I'm torn between speed and armor. My play style tends to be less twitchy and more brawly so I've gone with more armor on my lights at times. My Pirate's Bane skill tree looked more like Nips one with armor, but I switched to speed to see if that helps. Still not sure if it is, but time will tell.

oosik_betsuni.png