As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A shiny new [tech] thread that will be obsolete in 6 months.

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Considering they have irreplaceable batteries I can't justify spending that kind of money on "true wireless" when Anker makes perfectly good Bluetooth earbuds for $18.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Boy that Apple charging pad must have had some serious issues huh?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Oculus is quietly putting out a successor to the Rift, with support from Lenovo

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/hands-on-with-the-new-399-oculus-rift-s-more-pixels-zero-cameras-better-fit/

That's cool I guess. They found someone willing to keep the PC platform alive. It sounds like they did a pretty good job of moving it forward

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I am waiting for gen2 VR before I invest, I hope the vive comes out with one.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yeah I've been planning on getting one this year, just waiting to see what the newest version of each assorted brand is - if there's no new Vive or valve's headset doesn't materialize by summer the rift S may be what I go with.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The J.S. Bach google doodle today is good to waste time. It's a machine learning thingy that turns your melody input into a Bach style harmony.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    That’s probably the most sinister way to cook a hot dog

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Bigclovedotcom is a very relaxing channel. It's nice just to zone out and have him describe how lethal a camping light is with detailed wiring diagrams.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    hey it's "technology companies try to do things they will definitely suck at" day

neat

you will only be able to call phones that have your number in their friend list

If the reverse is true as well then sign me right up.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Bigclovedotcom is a very relaxing channel. It's nice just to zone out and have him describe how lethal a camping light is with detailed wiring diagrams.

I hope you also enjoy This Old Tony.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    I was looking at gpus on Amazon earlier and they almost got me with a rtx 2070 they were offering on the payment plan thing.

I instead opted for a not all that well reviewed Vega 56 that comes with 3 games I want for like half the price. If the card is a dud at least Amazon has a great return policy. Unlike Neweggs which is made of stinky butts.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    good

fun

good

The government prying at more angles and excuses to try to eliminate programs I rely on..

To Live!

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    good

fun

good

The government prying at more angles and excuses to try to eliminate programs I rely on..

To Live!

Well no matter how much they want to, they can't just outright kill you.

This is a good compromise for them, I think!

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I would argue that actively working to deprive people of housing, health care, and food is in fact outright killing them, but I'm probably just a big ol lefty softskin.

• Options
    in other news

DYxk4NV.jpg
    text:
    No encryption, no authentication, and a raft of other flaws
    Researchers from security firm Clever Security discovered that the Conexus Radio Frequency Telemetry Protocol (Medtronic's proprietary means for the monitors to wirelessly connect to implanted devices) provides no encryption to secure communications. That makes it possible for attackers within radio range to eavesdrop on the communications. Even worse, the protocol has no means of authentication for legitimate devices to prove they are authorized to take control of the implanted devices. That lack of authentication, combined with a raft of other vulnerabilities, makes it possible for attackers within radio range to completely rewrite the defibrillator firmware, an exploit that's rarely seen affecting most medical device vulnerabilities to date.

The researchers privately notified Medtronic of the critical vulnerability in January 2018. On Thursday, the US Department of Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency issued an advisory that for the first time publicly disclosed the vulnerability:

Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities may allow an attacker with adjacent short-range access to one of the affected products to interfere with, generate, modify, or intercept the radio frequency (RF) communication of the Medtronic proprietary Conexus telemetry system, potentially impacting product functionality and/or allowing access to transmitted sensitive data... The result of successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities may include the ability to read and write any valid memory location on the affected implanted device and therefore impact the intended function of the device.

hackers can easily modify the firmware of pacemakers remotely
    allowing them to install ransomware directly into somebody's body

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/03/critical-flaw-lets-hackers-control-lifesaving-devices-implanted-inside-patients/?comments=1

• Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Hey so I should mention again I am writing a thesis on how we need to slow the fuck down on this tech stuff until we can make sure its secure BEFORE it hits the market.

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Hey so I should mention again I am writing a thesis on how we need to slow the fuck down on this tech stuff until we can make sure its secure BEFORE it hits the market.

no no if we stumble faster and more blindly into the future we might come up with solutions before we're even aware there are problems!

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

no no if we stumble faster and more blindly into the future we might come up with solutions before we're even aware there are problems!

it worked for global warming! wait

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Well eventually it'll work out for the globe, not so much for us

• Options
    I can only hope it does work out for the globe

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    in other news

DYxk4NV.jpg
    text:
    No encryption, no authentication, and a raft of other flaws
    Researchers from security firm Clever Security discovered that the Conexus Radio Frequency Telemetry Protocol (Medtronic's proprietary means for the monitors to wirelessly connect to implanted devices) provides no encryption to secure communications. That makes it possible for attackers within radio range to eavesdrop on the communications. Even worse, the protocol has no means of authentication for legitimate devices to prove they are authorized to take control of the implanted devices. That lack of authentication, combined with a raft of other vulnerabilities, makes it possible for attackers within radio range to completely rewrite the defibrillator firmware, an exploit that's rarely seen affecting most medical device vulnerabilities to date.

The researchers privately notified Medtronic of the critical vulnerability in January 2018. On Thursday, the US Department of Homeland Security's Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency issued an advisory that for the first time publicly disclosed the vulnerability:

Successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities may allow an attacker with adjacent short-range access to one of the affected products to interfere with, generate, modify, or intercept the radio frequency (RF) communication of the Medtronic proprietary Conexus telemetry system, potentially impacting product functionality and/or allowing access to transmitted sensitive data... The result of successful exploitation of these vulnerabilities may include the ability to read and write any valid memory location on the affected implanted device and therefore impact the intended function of the device.

hackers can easily modify the firmware of pacemakers remotely
    allowing them to install ransomware directly into somebody's body

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/03/critical-flaw-lets-hackers-control-lifesaving-devices-implanted-inside-patients/?comments=1

Jesus Christ, this was just a plot on The Black List and I couldn't get over how dumb it was and nobody would be fucking stupid enough to do this IRL.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I'm not worried about ransomware so much as the effect a random IoT virus would have when trying to zombie your pacemaker into a botnet.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    hacking my pacemaker to own the libs

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    AI looking for scammers: There are people who defraud the system. Maybe their aim to is to kick everyone off and purge the weak, but it's not like it's baseless. Don't post pics of you windsurfing and you'll be fine probably. First time they do something without solid evidence the lawsuits will fly.

The pacemaker thing is some bullshit, speaking of lawsuits.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    AI looking for scammers: There are people who defraud the system. Maybe their aim to is to kick everyone off and purge the weak, but it's not like it's baseless. Don't post pics of you windsurfing and you'll be fine probably. First time they do something without solid evidence the lawsuits will fly.

The pacemaker thing is some bullshit, speaking of lawsuits.

Yeah sure. The system will take care of it eventually.

But what happens when the procedurally generated algorithm mistakes you taking a photo of windsurfers versus you actually windsurfing? Now you have lost your benefits and have fuck all. If you have money, then yeah you can sue the government and get some cash, but how are you going to survive between now and then? Or what if you don't have the time and resources to get a lawyer.

It will "fix" itself eventually but it will damage a whole bunch of people first.

• Options
    the only people with enough money to legal fight with the government enough to get them to fix bad faith ending of benefits don't need the disability benefits to survive

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    "It's only going to get the bludgers" is a pile of horseshit. Every measure put in place to try and crack down on the vanishingly small number of frauds disproportionately affects real disabled people. Saying "well they can sue!" doesn't help shit. What if they don't have the money? What if they're paycheck to paycheck? How are they going to live while waiting for their Sure Thing Lawsuit to pay out, and go through appeals?

What if someone posts a picture of themselves windsurfing from before they broke their spine? What then?

How much is this system costing to implement, compared to the So Much Fraud OMG money they think they're going to claw back? How much does it cost to administrate and update? I'll give you a clue: It's going to be more than they fucking make back, because the point isn't to catch fraudsters, it's to scare people away from claiming the benefits that they're entitled to.

I seriously can't properly express how hard you can fuck off if you think this is a good thing. It's all the way, and further. Fuck off twice.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    "It's only going to get the bludgers" is a pile of horseshit. Every measure put in place to try and crack down on the vanishingly small number of frauds disproportionately affects real disabled people. Saying "well they can sue!" doesn't help shit. What if they don't have the money? What if they're paycheck to paycheck? How are they going to live while waiting for their Sure Thing Lawsuit to pay out, and go through appeals?

What if someone posts a picture of themselves windsurfing from before they broke their spine? What then?

How much is this system costing to implement, compared to the So Much Fraud OMG money they think they're going to claw back? How much does it cost to administrate and update? I'll give you a clue: It's going to be more than they fucking make back, because the point isn't to catch fraudsters, it's to scare people away from claiming the benefits that they're entitled to.

I seriously can't properly express how hard you can fuck off if you think this is a good thing. It's all the way, and further. Fuck off twice.

There has not been a single reported case of trying to catch fraudulent collection of government benefits that did not hugely outspend what they would have gotten back by recovery of misallocated funds.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

This is a phenomenally bad take.

• Options
    Hey I know a guy who sells food stamps for money. Lets get rid of food stamps for everyone!

I use to think that way too Xeddicus, its not right. Its a slippery slope and you wind up cause way more harm then the little money you save spending who knows how much trying to find the like couple people (relative to the number in the system) who are actually doing a fraud, you hurt everyone else in the system

• Options
    Some disabilities are invisible

And people on disability should not have to live like an ascetic.

Computers should not be involved in the process of trying to determine who is entitled to benefits or not, and the amount of money 'lost' to people on disability that people in certain political positions seem to think don't deserve it is so incrediblly small compared to the money the government loses to say corporate tax loopholes and incentives or the massive overblown military budget used to fight wars for economic interest of the massively wealthy or the massive prison industrial complex based on incarceration and recidivism of mostly minor drug offenders...

My point is I world rather tens of thousands of people got benefits others (mostly with either vested political interests or who have bought into the propaganda against the "undeserving freeloaders") might think they don't deserve than we continue to throw away money on monstrous nightmares like the above. I'd even say it's a good thing.

But then what do I know huh

• Options
    people defrauding the system are just an excuse, the real reason they want to make low income and disability support services difficult to get is they don't want such services to exist at all but saying that outright focus tests badly. So they just try to kneecap them behind the veneer of cracking down on FRAUD and FREELOADERS and MINORITIES

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It's something that's happening over here. The government is making people prove that they have disabilities and "deserve" payment by making them come in and be interviewed by people on minimum wage short-term contracts with no prior medical training. They basically run through a set questionnaire to decide if the person they're interviewing can stay on benefits

The Tories are making people come to job centres to have an interview about whether they're eligible to continue living. At the same time they're cutting funding for everything so job centres are closing and suddenly someone who is barely making ends meet on benefits for crippling anxiety or who is unable to drive because of X disability is being made to take multiple bus journeys to get the hour and a half to the closest centre. They also sanction your benefits if you miss these interviews and can basically stop payments for multiple months if they deem that you've missed an interview on purpose

So far it's cost an enormous amount to deny people the help they need they're seeing it as a win. Nevermind the fact that they're paying out more in appeals as people inevitable take their cases to high courts and the third-party contractors are charging the country a fortune for these assessments

Liberally-minded people see a statistic that says "5% of people on benefits are gaming the system and don't need them" and think "great, 95% of people are getting the help they need." Apparently the other end of the spectrum is thinking "we need to make it harder for the 95% so only the 'deserving' get help"

Fuck everything about this and especially fuck any silicon valley company that thinks it can code a solution to this to scan fucking Instagram

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Benefit fraud happens.

However, it's such a tiny drop in the ocean compared to corporate tax avoidance that we shouldn't actually bother with it until said tax avoidance is sorted. And even then, I'm going to wonder if it's still worth it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Karl wrote: »
    Benefit fraud happens.

However, it's such a tiny drop in the ocean compared to corporate tax avoidance that we shouldn't actually bother with it until said tax avoidance is sorted. And even then, I'm going to wonder if it's still worth it.

The real issue is 9 times out of 10 people want to get off benefits, but there's this thing called a welfare cliff where if they do, before they start making enough money to survive, they lose everything. Thus making it hard for them to actually survive during that transition period, thus you've got "fraudsters" because they're able but "unwilling" to work and the conservatives of all types like to point fingers at them.

Very rarely will you have someone that just sits there because they think they're owed it. You usually only find that shit in conservative-land from people who are conservatives, from people who bemoan welfare queens. Like my brother, who tried to get state disability and military disability because he hurt himself in his off time while in the service. He also posts constantly about people who try to game the system just like he tried to do. Dude is the epitome of "fuck you, got mine" and living the socialist dream while pissing on everyone else that wants part of that cake. (his military pension + disability is something like 8k a month after taxes, NYS denied his civilian disability request 3 times and he sued and lost)

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Please note that I do believe even if someone is just "unwilling" to work I still don't think they deserve to starve to death on the streets because that's fucked.

I would rather make sure they are fed and housed and cared for at a base level than let a any of them miss a single meal.

The incentive to work should be greater than this base level of care obviously, and accessibility of work would be just as important, even if you have thousands of people filling in holes after they dig them or pushing papers across a desk... Or providing to the needs of the first group

But no one should be shamed into working, the impetuous to do so needs to be an internal choice to contribute to society, not a forced choice between barely above poverty wages with the chance you might advance and complete destitution.

• Options
    also in like.... not that many years ... most of us will be automated out of the workforce anyway

you might want to work, but unless your job requires complex physical labor, you will likely be replaced with a robot or an AI script

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Not necessarily.

In a perfect world I would want the government to place some basic restrictions on automation where it might eliminate jobs for human beings, and to invest to make sure everyone has access to free higher education and training to meet the demands of the future.

I want universal basic income AND a job garuntee though too. So call me one of them utopian dreamers.

Tallahasseeriel on
This discussion has been closed.