As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dark Souls Remastered

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I was going to do this on PS4, but since I bought a new, fairly high-end machine, I'll probably do PC instead and just plug in the gamepad.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    DS3 worked perfectly fine on PC with the exception of online wonkiness. Sekiro has no online, correct? I purchased it while trying to maintain an info blackout.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    DS3 worked perfectly fine on PC with the exception of online wonkiness. Sekiro has no online, correct? I purchased it while trying to maintain an info blackout.

I have been keeping a not quite blackout and no, there is no multiplayer or online component at all.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    As a From Software game I assume literally nothing is known for sure until it's been out for six months and the wiki has been tirelessly worked on and revised by millions of nerds

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    If Sekiro has similarly obfuscated systems as the Souls games, it might be the first time I try and get a refund. I don't have time for a game that pads its difficulty by actively hiding from players how to play the game.

• Options
    Javen wrote: »
    If Sekiro has similarly obfuscated systems as the Souls games, it might be the first time I try and get a refund. I don't have time for a game that pads its difficulty by actively hiding from players how to play the game.

There are no stats to invest into so at least you can't screw over your character because no one told you to invest in adaptability.

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    There are three different skill trees or paths though, so that's a thing

Who knows if you'll be able to Max out all three of them on one play through or if it will take several

I hope there's NG+

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The main thing is that I know quite well that I don't like character action games from numerous attempts so as the rpg elements get dropped that's more of the genre being pushed into.

I do hope it's good, of course. I hope all games are good.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    The mechanical shifts away from some of the Souls games are what have me hopeful that this is the first From game I'll be able to click with and finish. There are so many things about Dark Souls and Bloodborne that are wildly intriguing to me and I never could dig into them and enjoy them the way I wanted because some of the systems just totally shielded me off.

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    Aistan wrote: »
    The main thing is that I know quite well that I don't like character action games from numerous attempts so as the rpg elements get dropped that's more of the genre being pushed into.

Even that pickup artist game?!

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »

Even that pickup artist game?!

If a game told a story like that well and with nuance and a good message yeah. Why not. That could be interesting. Good is subjective.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    We were talking about using the soulslike thread as well. I am fine either way, but I don't think the game has the hype to stand on its own.

It's gonna be so good that it will change the face of gaming forever and also create world peace man
    Buy 2 copies

• Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    This is my most anticipated game of the year so far.

I just love From, I love their will to do what they want w/ reckless abandon for public opinion; true artists :)

I totally get the perspective that they have taken away elements many people like; but I hold out faith that it was done for good reason.

xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    I'm going to blame my staying up late for my dismal outing in SDT. I'm having a hard time getting the parry timing down on the first "Lord" mini boss guy.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    So is this the Sekiro thread now? I have some questions. 1) Does this game retain any Metroidvania elements? 2) Is more than one outfit available?

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I'm going to blame my staying up late for my dismal outing in SDT. I'm having a hard time getting the parry timing down on the first "Lord" mini boss guy.

If it's anything like previous souls games you want to try and parry the hand that is holding the weapon, not the weapon itself.

disclaimer: I haven't played SDT

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    So is this the Sekiro thread now? I have some questions. 1) Does this game retain any Metroidvania elements? 2) Is more than one outfit available?

it seems even more metroidvania-y than other From games

dont know about the outfits though.

• Options
    this game... is very hard. but I'm getting a very non-linear vibe from it that suggests I have missed at least 9 billion healing items at this point

• Options
    burboburbo Registered User regular
    I'm still playing my way through DS3. Right around Pontiff Sulyvahn I started mostly using great shields, and that has helped me a lot in terms of getting through bosses, and especially the areas leading up to them. Greatshields are awesome. However, I did hit a bit of a wall trying to tank the twin princes this way, so I've been trying to retrain my skills to win through dodging. It's been a process, to say the least. I haven't been able to down loran in like 7 or 8 tries, much less lothric, where i was able to get to phase 2 like 70% of the time shield tanking.

It just feels like there is a ceiling on how well you can do if you are willing to tank hits with a shield, so I'm hoping this other practice will eventually pay dividends.

For comparison, I beat the Dragon Armour second try using shield tanking.

No first try kills in this game for me, but a number of 2nd or 3rd tries.

• Options
    Oh actually, I had a question. Is there a way to cancel out of a roll if I've been hit? Like, Lorian swings his sword, I'm a bit late in my dodge, it hits me, then when damage animation ends, my guy rolls anyway, setting me up to be struck again. Can I prevent that roll in cases where it's been interrupted by damage?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    not that I'm aware of
    other than just not mashing the roll button during the stagger animation so it doesn't get buffered in? I don't think it the input buffer was so long that it will make you do your queued roll if you press it right as you get smacked, but it's been a while and maybe I'm misremembering.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm just pressing it once before the stagger, and it queues the roll. No mashing.

• Options
    Yay! Beat Lothrics tonight. Ended up shield tanking, but learning to time the rolls was critical for dodging magic with swipes, and some of the hits that burn all your stamina.

• Options
    Beat Soul of Cinder. Prob took 25 or 30 tries. It was prob that and Crystal Sage that took the most for me. Lothrics were up there too.

I found the ending supreme disappointing. I understand there are multiple endings, but mine was just my guy sitting front of the fire. I know the plot is meant to.be cryptic, but come on man! I cant get anymore than that? Sucky.

• Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    The "basic" ending of Dark Souls 3 feels kind of empty but I think that's appropriate, given the themes of the game

My favorite ending for the game—for the series, I guess, and it ranks high for any game period—is probably the first Secret Betrayal ending

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    I enjoyed my time with the game. I might try out the nameless king in the next couple of days, or maybe start a new game to see if gundyr is stupid easy now, but I'm kind of glad it's over. I don't need all of my leisure time to be so intense and draining. Maybe I'll play Moss or something.

Also, in my personal rankings, I'd place Bloodborne higher. The Victorian and lovecraftian aesthetic, along with the faster gameplay was pretty sublime.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    The "basic" ending of Dark Souls 3 feels kind of empty but I think that's appropriate, given the themes of the game

My favorite ending for the game—for the series, I guess, and it ranks high for any game period—is probably the first Secret Betrayal ending

By that I mean I take it you mean the Firekeeper ending?
    That felt like more of a true ending to the series than the Lord of Hollows. Because it's just putting to rest a tired universe and the endless cycles of fire and dark, and all the tragedies therein. Plus you helped paint a new world, so maybe something will survive the end of time.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Playing Sekiro makes me want to go back and actually try and beat the 3 DS's. I've played all of em. Never beat em.

• Options
    One big bonus about finishing the game, is I can finally go and watch all the Youtube content on the game that was I avoiding for fear of spoilers. The Soulsborne games have a great Youtube community with lots of very interesting insights

• Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    Any hints on taking down the Amygdala in the defiled chalice? I can reliably get her down to half (how quickly depends on how willing I am to play high risk/high reward rolling through her legs, and how well I can get her to loop into smashing while leaving that back arm dangling...), but after that it just turns into non-stop rolling towards her tail while she non-stop rotates towards or flips directly on top of me. Rolling with a Kirkhammer and a Repeater Pistol (my bloodtinge is only 13 though)

• Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    With something that has a wide vertical arc like Ludwig's Sword or the cane whip, you can try to get under its head or hands and hit them when you'd usually be waiting for an attack and vulnerable moment. Other than that, I mostly remember staying in front where you can get the best look at attacks, sometimes you can bait out the swipes and smashes and be ready to take advantage.

Also always a good idea to power level a bunch of HP for chalice dungeons.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    What's the line between a normal level of powel-leveling and an embarrassing amount

Asking for a friend on his first playthrough with just Pthumeru Ihyll and the endgame left who might be in the 150+ range

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    Any hints on taking down the Amygdala in the defiled chalice? I can reliably get her down to half (how quickly depends on how willing I am to play high risk/high reward rolling through her legs, and how well I can get her to loop into smashing while leaving that back arm dangling...), but after that it just turns into non-stop rolling towards her tail while she non-stop rotates towards or flips directly on top of me. Rolling with a Kirkhammer and a Repeater Pistol (my bloodtinge is only 13 though)

there is a cheese strat for any amygdala if you want it.... probably easier to just look up a video

but basically you can trigger amyg to jump up in the air, and in doing so you can manipulate him to just endlessly keep jumping, hacking at him every time he lands

its pretty funny because basically that scary looking jump attack... if you don't move he doesn't actually hit you... you take your hits and then just casually walk back to the trigger point, repeat

• Options
    mrpaku wrote: »
    What's the line between a normal level of powel-leveling and an embarrassing amount

Asking for a friend on his first playthrough with just Pthumeru Ihyll and the endgame left who might be in the 150+ range

When I decided to finish all the chalice dungeons, especially the half HP ones, I leveled until I had doubled my HP (so it would be 'normal' in the chalice dungeons). Made all the difference for me.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    I could never make myself spend any time in the chalice dungeons, they were just so boring.

ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    They were actually my favorite part to go through, mechanically. They just throw off the leveling curve of the rest of the game really badly. So I went in too late, crushed the first half of them, hit a wall, did some grinding, and then was way over-leveled for the rest of the main game.

Unless you map out when to go in and do what, and just spend your souls buying stuff and not leveling stats, I'm not really sure of any way to fix this. Hopefully they reexamine the idea for a sequel, because it had so much potential. Maybe just make it scale stats against yours?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Peas wrote: »

sorry to dredge this up but I just saw this video for the first time and holy shit

this recontextualizes so much of the bloodborne lore for me re: the precursor civilizations and the dungeon bosses

I'm growing more and more convinced that I don't want or even need a bloodborne 2, just a bloodborne remastered with all the cut content added back in

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    if they ever did a 60 FPS bloodborne for PC w/ cut content and just a slightly improved chalice dungeons system, I would probably never play any other single player game again

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I took a couple months off, but I returned to Dark Souls and FINALLY beat Manus! I still don't feel like I got the fight, but a good combination of persistence, practice, and absurdly powerful fireballs won the day eventually. That five-hit combo is still bullshit, though.

Right afterwards, I beat the Ash Hydra on my first try, too! I'm going to try to kill that friggin' Hellgate Wyrm and probably tackle the final boss tomorrow, and I can freely move on!

I'll be starting DS2 probably sometime next week. I went into 1 mostly blind, but after learning that was a bad idea, I'd be up for some tips on how to start 2 right.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.