As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I just hesitantly finished another lieutenant and the 5 Intercessors i was working on. Tomorrow I start assembling Hellblasters, then Shadowspear.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    manjimanji Registered User regular
    another dude finished. painting noses on skull faces is the worst...

LOKnvta.jpg?1

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Mmmm, purple.
    (Test model down in front)

I love my airbrush. That is all.

IkRKlDFh.jpg

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Purple
    That is a really nice purple there.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Finally started cleaning off my models starting with the infinity stuff since I figured it would be the easiest because they have been in acetone.

They are almost entirely clean except for some slight amount of paints deep in grooves that wont impact anything but I'm surprised because they have been in acetone for months.

It is also going slower than I expected which annoys me.

I'm not looking forward to cleaning off the plastic stuff. I never feel like the scrubbing stuff I'm using has stiff enough bristles.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    A different, worse colour
    Nips wrote: »
    Mmmm, purple.

IkRKlDFh.jpg

Going for Evangelion colors? The Tau markings in Dawn of War worked really well with the Eva color schemes.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Those new battletech minis are pretty sexy

I assume you're making up a Marik force?

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    So my wife and I have been renovating and just redid our master bedroom... she was having a hell of a time finding the exact paint color she wanted from some post on pinterest. After getting frustrated with paint chips I finally asked what the color looked like.

15 minutes later I'd made up a paint chip on some spare baseboard that was exactly the color she wanted... she was shocked and very curious how I'd whipped it up.

Turns out the exact color she wanted for our one bedroom wall is Incubi Darkness... the guys at the paint shop did a bangup job matching it as well.

That's two citadel paint colors I have on walls in my house now (naggaroth night in the basement)

#kingofthenerds

b3xljyeakcvq.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Okay, but did you use two thin coats?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Purple
    KetBra wrote: »
    Those new battletech minis are pretty sexy

I assume you're making up a Marik force?

Actually, it's just coincidence. I'm splitting up the new box figures into Generic Team Purple and Generic Team Yellow, because the rest of my collection is suffering from a severe lack of purple and yellow. I've already got a 1st Marik Militia lance on my docket, but outside of that there's a dearth of violet used throughout the rest of the Inner Sphere military forces.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    Nips wrote: »
    Mmmm, purple.

IkRKlDFh.jpg

yeah that is very very nice

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    @valhalla130

Here you go: leather thimble (There are plenty more sellers; this just happened to be the cheapest.)
    s-l1600.jpg

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Purple
    Are you sure those would stop an Xacto blade?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Probably not if you deliberately tried to stab yourself ( :P ), but it has saved my thumb too many times to count when the blade has slipped. Plus, it's like $1, so it's well worth a shot.

• Options
    Purple
    Then I shall give it a shot.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    If it helps, I would assume that if you have a problem with slashing yourself it'll work great, and if you have a problem stabbing yourself it'll be less effective, but likely still better than if you weren't wearing it.

• Options
    Purple
    ArcticLancer is right. My slips are usually slashes. But the thimble has also saved me from drilling into my finger with a pin vice on a couple of occasions.

(I imagine you can also get metal thumb thimbles, but they're probably more expensive.)

• Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple
    If it helps, I would assume that if you have a problem with slashing yourself it'll work great, and if you have a problem stabbing yourself it'll be less effective, but likely still better than if you weren't wearing it.

It you take the most damage from blunt then I’m sorry, but you’re a skeleton.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Purple
    Norgoth wrote: »

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh ...

• Options
    Purple
    I don't know. Every blunt I've ever had did not damage that I'm aware of.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I don't know. Every blunt I've ever had did not damage that I'm aware of.
    Yeah, that's what the damage was.

• Options
    I'm having a weird issue with cleaning off these infinity models with acetone. They've been sitting in it for months, maybe 5 or more. I've been super lazy about cleaning them off. Basically everything has been coming off extremely easy except for these 3 arms I came across. It seems like they are just covered in gunk and it wont really come off. I'm not sure why. I put them in fresh acetone over night to see if it helps but so far it has not done much. Gonna leave them in longer to see what happens.

Has anyone else had this issue?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Chemicals reaction can be wonky things. Maybe there was something else that got mixed in with the acrylic paint that's effecting things, like let's dump super glue all over the arm to make it stick! Maybe try using a blade to scrap it off, or an emery board. Or, since it's a metal model, a wire brush.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I've always maintained that you're not truly modeling unless you've cut yourself, accidentally glued yourself to your model, or accidentally glued yourself to yourself.

• Options
    Yesterday I was absentmindedly fiddling with my super glue bottle and accidentally opened it, and very nearly glued my hand into a fist.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Norgoth wrote: »

Especially funny given that it was [Expletive deleted] who originally suggested the protectors (points at their avatar).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    Yesterday I was absentmindedly fiddling with my super glue bottle and accidentally opened it, and very nearly glued my hand into a fist.
    Superhero origin stories are so in at the moment.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple

Many years ago I put a brush down on a desk not realising some super glue had leaked onto it and then promptly put the now
    glue covered end of the brush in my mouth.

I would not recommend gluing a paintbrush to your tounge.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I set my pants on fire with a pot of super glue. It's probably my most amusing modeling mishap story.

• Options
    Purple
    Man, finishing a paint job is so cathartic. I was originally aiming for quick & dirty with this star, but the more I looked at it the more I realized I needed to do the edge highlights. I'm glad I did, it makes them pop so much better; the bluegrey I drybrushed over my black base coat just wasn't bringing it like I expected it to. Live and learn!

Wolf's Dragoons, Wolf Spider Battalion circa 3056

EAzOtbd.jpg
    dMh0oAnl.jpguHAZPyfl.jpgAM1f1Cll.jpg
    2z6tWUSl.jpgHz8EMAYl.jpg

• Options
    Purple
    Oh those are way too cool!!!!! Where can I sign up for orders?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Purple
    I just noticed that the Loki (second from left) is subtly, slightly off-angle from aligned straight on its base. I only just noticed it in the pictures.

*flips table, douses in gasoline, lights on fire*

This barely-noticeable mistake will haunt me until the end of my days.

• Options
    Purple
    Guess you will have to buy another to fix that one. Then put the bad one up for sale to remove it from your memories.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Played a few testgames with my Primaris Deathwatch and figured I needed some more mobile elements. But no squat marines allowed! I will take their nice bikes though...

12j4eak1g3gq.jpeg
    uv1khgoo2408.jpeg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Purple
    I set my pants on fire with a pot of super glue. It's probably my most amusing modeling mishap story.

Liar!

• Options
    I am finally gonna start working on my Tau that I used the color shift paint on months ago. Haven't touched them since. I want to put a gloss varnish on them before I do more detail work but I'm not sure if I should do the gloss varnish before or after I paint the fabric on their legs and arms black.

I don't really need that part of the model to be glossy so should I do the varnish and then paint those areas mat black?

• Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular

Liar!

Oh man this is subtle. :+1:

• Options
    Is there any way to get biostrip 20 in the US?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

It seems ebay is the only way I can find that is not a skeevy site

• Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »

It seems ebay is the only way I can find that is not a skeevy site

Were they being sold in the US? I saw some listings on ebay that were $30+ and from the UK and shipping was $17.

Also, for painting things. Gotta finish my Tau. Need to do a gloss varnish. Do I paint their cloth parts black before or after gloss varnish?

This discussion has been closed.