As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

They advanced the PLOT?! Warhammer 40k casual lore

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    You kinda forgot the flesh eater courts, but then so did GW.
    they're dumb boring draculas

but carrion empire was one of their fastest selling starters so I highly doubt GW will ignore that
    Moriveth wrote: »
    If I built a side army, it'd probably be plague marines

they're one of the top 3 KT lists

they are also really fucking dope looking models

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    So far this year has been moon clan for AoS and chaos now. Partial with space marine vanguards too.

moonclan, skaven and khorne so far

slaanesh are right around the corner

Skaven and FECs each got exactly 1 new model there didn't they? I was thinking like multiple new model launches.

So far this year has been moon clan for AoS and chaos now. Partial with space marine vanguards too.

moonclan, skaven and khorne so far

slaanesh are right around the corner

Skaven and FECs each got exactly 1 new model there didn't they? I was thinking like multiple new model launches.

they got an updated army book, and a lot of their model line wasn't that old

they both got terrain pieces too, which is what sigmar is tending towards now, where each army gets a special piece of specific terrain

Endless spells too I suppose. Clanrats are still a pretty old model aren't they? I don't know when they were updated last.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    FEC's model range seems way too same-y to me. Like, besides the bat monsters they're all naked ghouls carrying oversized bone clubs. I've seen a few different fan counts-as armies that are more like revenants in half-deteriorated clothes and finery that seemed a lot cooler.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    FEC's model range seems way too same-y to me. Like, besides the bat monsters they're all naked ghouls carrying oversized bone clubs. I've seen a few different fan counts-as armies that are more like revenants in half-deteriorated clothes and finery that seemed a lot cooler.

revenants are far more nighthaunt than fec

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I guess it depends how you define 'revenant'. I meant in the sense of a mostly-normal looking reanimated human corpse, not the Blizzard 'we can't call it a ringwraith' ghost in robes and armor sense. I guess I should've said 'zombie'?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    then zambonis would be legion of nagash!

FEC is all ancient nobles and their vassals/thralls

they're all sapient, or at least reasonably so

edited March 2019
    Which is why I didn't want to use the z-word. I was mainly trying to explain that they looked like former humans, unlike the malformed monsters of the official range.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    FEC are straight up a different species at this point

they have been undead for so long that they would never resemble humans

they might have been brettonians literally thousands of years ago, but in the intervening millennia they transformed into inbreeding cannibals

so not far from nobles really

edited March 2019
    Instead of continuing to split hairs over undead terminology, these were the first example pics I could find on short notice of the kind of fan designs I've seen:
    5rv7j5gqihec.jpg
    bddkpsjxvraj.jpg

As a concept, I feel like this lends itself to much more variety between unit types and within squads. It's not like any of what the FEC has is bad, it just seems too limited, to me.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    those are deffo going for the bretonia vibe

edited March 2019
    Yeah, I'm not debating about what kind of creatures FEC are or should be, I'm just saying the model range could stand to have more varied designs. I feel like we were having two different arguments.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not debating about what kind of creatures FEC are or should be, I'm just saying the model range could stand to have more varied designs. I feel like we were having two different arguments.

oh ok, I misunderstood your intent

but yeah I absolutely agree

edited March 2019
    in fact, several armies are in need of some variety

slayers and ironjawz are both super one-dimensional

PiptheFair on
  • IblisIblis Registered User regular
    I love Strigoi, but I've always found the ghoul designs in Warhammer to be kind of boring. So finding out Strigoi had their own faction in AoS went from excitement to disappointment incredibly quickly. Those fan designs definitely seem more interesting.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular

Just release an Orc Hordes book that covers everything between snotling mobs and the angriest cabbage with some suitable allegiance ability.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited March 2019
    So I painted a scouty boy for Kill team.

M4Rlu2Wh.jpg
    7HaCq9Wh.jpg
    LqYnN3Uh.jpg
    FHuI5h8h.jpg

I have some old metal ones too I recently found. This mold has not changed at all in a very long time has it?

TheGerbil on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Iblis wrote: »
    I love Strigoi, but I've always found the ghoul designs in Warhammer to be kind of boring. So finding out Strigoi had their own faction in AoS went from excitement to disappointment incredibly quickly. Those fan designs definitely seem more interesting.

I am riding the fence about starting a FEC army at the moment and have done a lot of looking around for applicable conversions because the models are indeed pretty same-y. Reaper has some big muscly ghoul dudes that might work as characters, but it'd be a project to fill a nice variegated army.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    The FEC stuff is literally just the ghoul/strigoi elements from WHFB rebranded into their own faction, I think lore-wise they're quite fun, and they have some interesting stuff they can do in-game, but I was hoping an updated book would be more like the Daughters of Khaine release that adds a couple more dual kits into the range to increase variety, to really grab me they'd need to play more against he duality theme of how they are versus how they perceive themselves, I think.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I agree but the FEC was not an army I was interested in. I was surprised how fast Carrion empire sold out as the skaven I was kind of interested in but not that part of the army.

I am currently debating about the new Khrone demon stuff but I like many other people a backlog of stuff

New tusky men!

BlackLegionFocus-Mar18-CSMTerminators30yvreg.jpg

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Chaos Terminators will never not have rows of spikes on their shoulders.

I actually didn't think the CTerm sculpts were that old even, am I just wrong on that? The dynamism in these is nice.

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I'm thinking of trying to get one more squad of the new Vanguard eliminators, and building a detachment with them, scout snipers and the new Captain in Phobos armor to finally take out my buddy's so4cerors and Abaddon.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Hail Nurgle I love everything about the Death Guard.

EDIT: I need to look in to the Kill Team rules for Orks. Seems like a great way to put together a Freebooters skwad.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I was gonna paint one of my (non-Warhammer) miniatures, but I
    Tonkka wrote: »

EDIT: I need to look in to the Kill Team rules for Orks. Seems like a great way to put together a Freebooters skwad.

You can look at my book when I have it and when we next hang out!

I have yet to try kill team commanders despite having played regular kill team a few times. I even have my commander picked out... just haven't got around to it.

Tonkka wrote: »

how big a fan of krumpin' 'umies are you?

Doesn't have to be 'umies right? What about krumpin' in general?

What level of krumpiness are we talking here?

if you got time to be questioning it, you ain't krumping nearly enough

Old tusky men

if you got time to be questioning it, you ain't krumping nearly enough

konraja53yxh.png

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    tusky old men, running the world

a new age!

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod

Yeah, I really hope Ironjawz gets some attention. Resculpt the old blorc models, damnit.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I wish Simon Spurrier would write a sequel to Lord of the Night, or would give permission for them to bring back Zso Sahaal and Mita Ashyn. They're probably two of my favorite characters and it's a damn shame we never find out what happens to them after the end of the book.

I'd love to ask Simon about it, but I don't have a twitter account anymore and near as I can tell that's really the only way to contact him directly.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    I only know of various Night Lords characters because of my deep dive into their lore when I was building backstory for my kill team chapter
    Still it's a point of discussion between my brother and I about who is their contact or how are they getting away with what they are doing

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    So I wanna paint these orks, and I'm wondering if folks can give me suggestions for the most cost-effective purchasing of paints so I don't overspend? Assume I'm starting from scratch (given that due to me being a dumbo and not properly closing my paints most of mine have dried up), and that I want to do a base coat and maybe a bit of dry brushing/shading? I'd love to do details too but I know you can get really far into the weeds on that stuff.

This is the starter set I bought.

GW paints or no?

If GW you want leadbelcher. It's their gunmetal. And for orks whatever shade of green that strikes your fancy for their skin. Biel-tan green is a good wash for ork skin. Nuln oil or agrax is a good general purpose wash. Then probably just use black and brown and a red for their clothes then hit all that with Nuln oil if you want to do this cheaply.

GW paints, I was thinking, as I can just pick them up at the GW by my house. Thanks for the advice, I'll probably pick those paints up when I get paid next week.

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Keep in mind that layer paints are less opaque than base ones, so you'll probably want to use base paints as your primary colour for any given component.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
This discussion has been closed.