As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It is 2019! Let us all huddle around the [cooking] fire and reminisce.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Unless you're aiming for presentation/stuffing the bird, you can also skip the technical challenge of spatchcocking and just segment the chicken up and roast it that way.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I have a request for Indian food tomorrow

No idea what to make. Not saag or anything with paneer though

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Anyone know if you're supposed to feed the flu, starve the flu, or just drown the fucker?

• Options
    I think it's feed the flu starve a cold

Realistically, you should probably feed both so your body has ample nutrition to fight off whatever

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Plenty of food and fluids for all illnesses is the advice doctors have always given me.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I've heard sous vide fish is good but holy shit that sounds bizarre to me.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Malai kofta! There are different versions, and they're all delicious.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Malai kofta! There are different versions, and they're all delicious.
    Dhal is often a safe bet as well: there are lots of varieties, it tends to be very flavoursome, in addition to being relatively simple and cheap to make. It's especially good with some rice and home made naan or chapati on the side.

This is my favourite dhal recipe (although it is Sri Lankan, not Indian). I usually double it because 1: it is delicious and so I want to eat a lot of it, and 2: dhal usually tastes better on the second day.

Apocalyptus on
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    Anyone know if you're supposed to feed the flu, starve the flu, or just drown the fucker?

Drink it away. Alcohol disinfects, you know!

• Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    This is going back a couple of pages, but regarding people using a ridiculous amount of salt in cooking videos: I randomly ran into another cooking video that actually explained that! In addition to salt being, of course, excellent in large quantities, people in cooking videos almost always use kosher salt, which packs waaaaaay less tightly than normal table salt, so it's quite a bit less than if you were using table salt at home. That said, kosher salt is great, go for it.

• Options
    godmode wrote: »
    DrZiplock wrote: »

Drink it away. Alcohol disinfects, you know!

Like how you're supposed to drink alcohol before a major surgery to disinfect your organs! This is simple logic.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

I'm a day late with this but this is one of my go to's when I'm in the mood for Indian https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/09/cashew-chicken-curry-with-cilantro-recipe.html

I also really like this https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/45736/chicken-tikka-masala/. I'll occasionally use coconut milk instead of cream if I'm making something else that also needs coconut milk but not a whole 13oz can of it.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular

This came out so well. Cornstarched and pan fried the tofu and it was crispy and held the sauce well

• Options
    Corn starch + pan-frying tofu is my favorite way to eat it! So delicious and crispyyy

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    What's y'all's preferred pan frying oil? Specifically for tofu.

godmode on
  • Options
    I use peanut oil for pretty much everything I cook, adding sesame oil for flavoring on things I want to taste like sesame.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    I use rice bran oil as my neutral cooking oil, though I sometimes use sunflower oil if that’s on special when I go to stock up.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I have a roasted garlic infused avocado oil that is amazing.

But normally olive or veggie depending on how much I want the oil to influence the flavor

• Options
    I use a safflower oil because it's got a super super high smoke point, and if I'm frying tofu, chances are I'm also making stir-fry.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I use olive oil for basically everything

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Olive oil for low-temp/raw applications where I want the flavor of olive oil to add to the dish.

Canola oil for general purpose sauteeing, baking, and shallow frying.

Peanut oil for deep frying.

jgeis on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @jgeis could you please fix your typo?

• Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Mai-Kero wrote: »
    This is going back a couple of pages, but regarding people using a ridiculous amount of salt in cooking videos: I randomly ran into another cooking video that actually explained that! In addition to salt being, of course, excellent in large quantities, people in cooking videos almost always use kosher salt, which packs waaaaaay less tightly than normal table salt, so it's quite a bit less than if you were using table salt at home. That said, kosher salt is great, go for it.

Yeah, that's something I realized fairly quickly during my first ventures in the video cookosphere. You can't really get kosher salt or similarly loose salt here, and table salt...I might be imagining things, but I feel like it alters the taste of things and has a metal-y note (maybe because of the iodine?). I like using sea salt, even if it's a bit of a bother to grind it up first (I use a mortar and pestle). It's easier for pasta obv, just grab some salt lumps and throw 'em in the water.

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    jgeis could you please fix your typo?

If it's what I think you're referring to, that's not a typo.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @jgeis could you please fix your typo?

I can remove the term you're referring to if it offends, but I believe that in some places canola oil is called that, because that's the name of the plant/seed.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    el_vicio wrote: »
    Mai-Kero wrote: »

Yeah, that's something I realized fairly quickly during my first ventures in the video cookosphere. You can't really get kosher salt or similarly loose salt here, and table salt...I might be imagining things, but I feel like it alters the taste of things and has a metal-y note (maybe because of the iodine?). I like using sea salt, even if it's a bit of a bother to grind it up first (I use a mortar and pestle). It's easier for pasta obv, just grab some salt lumps and throw 'em in the water.

Chef John has a video on just this topic, and may be the one referred to in the original post.

https://youtu.be/XGCY9Cpia_A

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm ignorant of that term for canola oil, sorry

There were a bunch of assholes I knew who called grapeseed oil rapeseed oil because of some rumor of using it for lube for butt stuff

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I'm ignorant of that term for canola oil, sorry

There were a bunch of assholes I knew who called grapeseed oil rapeseed oil because of some rumor of using it for lube for butt stuff

It's not used very much anymore, but was extremely common 30+ or so years ago. There is a town in Saskatchewan, Tisdale, where most of the farming in the area is canola and their motto until 2016 was "the land of rape and honey".

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Reading an article about black licorice, something I actually like, inspired me to seek out some of the salty swedish stuff.

It's, um, certainly different. I've only eaten a piece or two so I can't quite say whether I like it or not. I definitely don't not like it but it's so different flavor and sensation that it's not quite at like status yet. The sampler pack from Sockerbit came with at least 10 different varieties, not all salty, so I've got lot of sampling/tasting to do over the next week or two. I don't have much of a sweet tooth so a piece or two a day is enough for me of any candy.

I did get sour sampler pack too. Lack of sweet tooth aside, I love sour stuff so I'm going to have to carefully ration that otherwise it won't make it through the weekend.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    el_vicioel_vicio Registered User regular
    Djunglvral or bust

ouxsemmi8rm9.png

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    Rapeseed oil is still very much a common name for it and you see it all over the place when you're looking at various cooking blogs, particularly when looking at best oils to season cast-iron.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    It's the only name for it here, I don't think canola oil is ever used.

I like driving past fields of rape, they look amazing. It's a pretty weird name though!

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Unless you're aiming for presentation/stuffing the bird, you can also skip the technical challenge of spatchcocking and just segment the chicken up and roast it that way.

What 'technical challenge'? You can do it in about 10 seconds with a sharp chef's knife, or a bit longer with kitchen shears. Spatchcocking isn't a delicate surgical operation. You're chopping out the spine and then flattening the carcass.

EDIT: re oilseed names, I have a bottle of this in my kitchen right now. It's great for cooking with when you want to make something kinda buttery without adding butter. Real good for soups. Good for making a really rich, yellow mayo too;

344318011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=cab2b2f8e566888bf711d5b7868c0e6f

V1m on
  • Options
    Something from Morrison's being called "The best" in that pretentious font is amazing.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    See for me canola is a bog-standard bullshit oil, seeing it as an ingredient in mayo immediately makes me think "cheap".

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    v0v it's pretty nice oil tho, definitely several steps above the cheapo pale 'vegetable oil'

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    V1m wrote: »
    v0v it's pretty nice oil tho, definitely several steps above the cheapo pale 'vegetable oil'

yeah I guess I never buy that stuff, canola would definitely be an improvement.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    This came out so well. Cornstarched and pan fried the tofu and it was crispy and held the sauce well

We made tofu this way for the kids and they really liked it, to the point that they're actively asking to have it again. We were gobsmacked the first time they brought it up.

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Food thread, do you think you can help me do a post-mortem on a particular dish?

It's a saffron, chicken thigh, onion and rice recipe. I'm relatively certain I either misread one of these recipes or accidentally combined them:

https://tasteslovely.com/crispy-chicken-and-saffron-rice-skillet/

https://ethnicspoon.com/moroccan-saffron-chicken/

I managed to make this perfectly once, and I have not been able to recreate it at all. The chicken thighs were perfectly cooked and seasoned, and the rice had this amazing crust on the bottom. I've been trying to reverse engineer what the heck I did, and it's resulted in:
    -rice that is very good but did not get the delicious crust (that was hewing pretty close to that first recipe)
    -rice that was crunchy and dry and also burnt and also the chicken was overcooked (reduced the amount of chicken stock)
    -okay rice (no crust) and greasy chicken (attempted using the first recipe and adding the pats of butter from the second recipe)

Any thoughts, SE++?

This discussion has been closed.