As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Top Grand Gear Tour Thread: Diddly Squat Farm now open for Season 2

• LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Spitfire's Contenders EU team is British Hurricane :)

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Watching the new episode of Top Gear UK: brought to you by Suzuki.

Man the interview segment is just plain cancer.

• StrikorStrikor Calibrations? Calibrations! Registered User regular
    Me PvPing in video games (an impressive amount of swearing):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P04SLlIITPI

I had no idea he was so creative.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    A week behind and I know it's a joke but that fried Basgetti looked good and I want to try it.

And the Lancia is still gorgeous.

And I know it's not the car's fault but they've done M5 reviews so often I never want to see them review it again.

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »
    A week behind and I know it's a joke but that fried Basgetti looked good and I want to try it.

And the Lancia is still gorgeous.

And I know it's not the car's fault but they've done M5 reviews so often I never want to see them review it again.

This time was the first time I was like, "huh, maybe I should look at the m5". So maybe the multiple reviews are good?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    May wasn't kidding:

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/vehicle/lancia_gamma_coupe_fi#!tax

Two. Bloody hell.

Not sure if the autos are considered separately as models but it lists two of them as well.

Wow.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I gotta go with Jeremy on this one if only on the idea of a proper bathroom being vital in an rv

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SealSeal Registered User regular
    Good episode, it was fun watching them cruise around in barely working giant vehicles. But I was disappointed Hammond went so half-assed with his.

Haha I just realized that was supposed to be the American stalking them

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    Seal wrote: »
    Good episode, it was fun watching them cruise around in barely working giant vehicles. But I was disappointed Hammond went so half-assed with his.

It aligns with Hammonds persona throughout the entire series tho - consider the camping disparity during the Namibia episodes.

edited March 2019
    I'd have a drink at the Rack and Pinion.

Nice homage to the ending of Race With the Devil as well.

Jazz on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Getting lunch and there is a R.V. in the parking lot named "Lance" I might of spent a minute laughing.

steam_sig.png
    I really liked that episode, the jetski in the sand was simple but damn if I wasn't chuckling at that entire event (and the pincer move).

How to turn a discussion of a Rolls-Royce SUV into one about masturbation in one easy lesson!

that poor sandwich...

DanHibiki wrote: »
    that poor sandwich...

Une belle baguette, perdue!

good episode, that Aston looks like a smoothed out Mustang (and the paint job did it no favors), the Astronaut thing was great (seriously why haven't you launched another Reliant Robin again?!?!?!?!), and the car review was good but the schtick did wear thin at the end.

And that Rolls Royce is going to make bank, I've seen a few of those Bentley SUVs around now to basically one up the Mercedes and Land Rovers, an ugly RR will just make the denial bubble stronger and they'll pay 20% premium. The Panamera is still around.

Every time I see a Panamera I have to express my dislike of its looks, especially its proportions.

Funnily enough, Chris Harris was extolling its virtues on a recent (this season) Top Gear. I don't doubt that it's a good car, sure, but there are cars just as good that aren't hideous.

You know, I didn't even try to watch Top Gear this year, just gonna let it sit there and maybe I'll watch it on some planes in flight stuff (although I noticed they've been using the old trio episodes for plane trips, last ones they had were from season 22 with the Land Rover dam climb and the Australia episode)

Rory and Sabine did an off-road race up an almost-mountain in the same episode. Small SUVs. I couldn't help but mentally compare when Clarkson was doing something incredibly similar in his Citroën "review" this week.

It really put it into perspective just how damn good Clarkson is at what he does.

Watching some Top Gear my self, Chris' sweater seems to be growing bigger with each episode. Soon it with devour him and lay sweater eggs.

edited March 2019
    umm... did Top Gear just play NGE music?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZ0MJgxjsM

DanHibiki on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    umm... did Top Gear just play NGE music?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZZ0MJgxjsM

Wouldn't be surprised, they've used stuff from Halo before (during the Clarkson/May/Hammond years), IIRC. I figure whoever picks their music is probably about our age.

Edit: can find at least two instances of Halo soundtrack pieces being used, also "Hell March" from Command & Conquer: Red Alert, and apparently something from Assassin's Creed III.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    The music from Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory showed up a couple of times too.

Lovely to see that brace of '80s supercars in today's show. Two of the greatest icons ever, for my money; the ultimate poster car and what otherwise probably would be the holder of that crown. I thought it was interesting where they fell on the lap board compared to a couple of their near-contemporaries, the XJ220 and the EB110 (not coincidentally, two more of my faves).

But when you compare them to the "normal" modern cars on the board it's just fucking astonishing.

They used Mass Effect 2 music at one point, too. Due to the unique way the BBC is funded, they must not have many licensing issues.

edited March 2019
    Strikor wrote: »
    They used Mass Effect 2 music at one point, too. Due to the unique way the BBC is funded, they must not have many licensing issues.

I think that was the track "Heart of Courage" by Two Steps From Hell, aka the music from the ME2 launch trailer... and about fifty million other trailers as well :lol:

I think the BBC gets to use licensed music on the cheap if the show in question is intended for broadcast only and not home video release, though how that works in the age of streaming I have no idea. Also Top Gear got DVD releases so who knows...

Jazz on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular

They used music from ME3 for sure, the music from leaving earth at the beginning of the game, in the background of a film on the Touring Disco Volante, too.

"Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    DHS wrote: »

They used music from ME3 for sure, the music from leaving earth at the beginning of the game, in the background of a film on the Touring Disco Volante, too.

I'd forgotten that! It rings a bell now you mention it, though :+1:

Retrowave is the greatest thing in music in years, Retrowave should be in every car review if you can't put in kpop, made the Lambo/Ferrari rolling start race even better.

Also dammit they really did upload the videos on their dead/new channels months ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qBqvfH2YY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yBSppOX7jw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiVcts1vWm0

Solid episode, always love the classic reviews, and I would genuinely watch the Speed of Birds special if they made it.

From someone who thinks unboxing videos are the dumbest thing, that was a pretty good unboxing video.

steam_sig.png
  • KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I could have sworn somebody linked May's unboxing vid when it came out. Maybe in one of the car threads?

TNTrooper wrote: »
    From someone who thinks unboxing videos are the dumbest thing, that was a pretty good unboxing video.

i mean it's James May, he can make watching paint dry entertaining. In fact I think that's his next BBC special.

• NosfNosf Registered User regular
    I didn't know Binky was a real first name and not just slang for a pacifier.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

i mean it's James May, he can make watching paint dry entertaining. In fact I think that's his next BBC special.

He could make unboxing videos with empty boxes where he just talks about various types of cardboard boxes, and there is a better than average chance that I would watch.

I'm not sure he's human.

Grand Tour goes to Georgia
    4mztktfc3aum.jpg

I remember seeing the videos from Jeremy and James at the time but had no idea about Richard's. Which isn't surprising with those numbers!

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular

He could make unboxing videos with empty boxes where he just talks about various types of cardboard boxes, and there is a better than average chance that I would watch.

I'm not sure he's human.

Once watched James May dissemble and then reassemble a rotary phone and not only was I actively engaged, but learned how Japanese manufacturers coded different screw sizes to screwdrivers.

I am in the business of saving lives.
    I would have pegged Hammond as the Bleeder but apparently it was Clarkson this whole time

• jmcdonaldjmcdonald I voted, did you? DC(ish)Registered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

I'm not sure he's human.

Once watched James May dissemble and then reassemble a rotary phone and not only was I actively engaged, but learned how Japanese manufacturers coded different screw sizes to screwdrivers.

We need more episodes of the reassembler

MegaMan001 wrote: »

I'm not sure he's human.

Which was useful knowledge when I was building Gunpla that had several screws.

steam_sig.png