As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Lalafell
    wait okay so Dancers are a DPS class

and there's no male bunnies, but instead, Buff Men?

this is the summary of the keynote?

Buff lion men. Think Kimahri from FFX.

And there's also the Big Story Stuff and the reminder that the Trust system will exist.

• DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Enlong wrote: »

And there's also the Big Story Stuff and the reminder that the Trust system will exist.

Are they actually Ronso, or are they called something else?

also what is the Trust system?

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar

that and the theme of the expansion seems to be some sort of
    alternate worlds thing

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    There was some stuff they mentioned that they didn't really elaborate on. What's the Trust system? Is it like FFXI where you can party with NPCs instead for dungeons and stuff?

And what is 'New Game +' int he context of an MMO?

• H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Au Ra
    They also revealed where the expansion is going to take place.
    It's in the first world, the one that the Warriors of Darkness came from that is being overridden by light. We're going there to bring darkness to the world to fix the overbalance.

They showed off some of the new zones and cities.

There is a new raid, Eden, don't know much about this raid except that Nomura is helping out with character design so I guess get ready for lots of belts and zippers.

Most important though is that in the new area lalafells are dwarves with fake beards and have been demoted to their proper place as a beast tribe.

H0b0man on
    FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    I was REALLY hoping that when they showed off Nomura's character that used the hammer, and mentioned 'he forgot no one in Eorzea uses hammers!' the next sentence would be 'until now'

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur

They are actually called Ronso, at least in the expansion areas. They showed one made to look like Kimahri too.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Au Ra
    Javen wrote: »
    There was some stuff they mentioned that they didn't really elaborate on. What's the Trust system? Is it like FFXI where you can party with NPCs instead for dungeons and stuff?

And what is 'New Game +' int he context of an MMO?

Yes that's exactly what the trust system is. They specifically mentioned the system in FFXI as the inspiration for it. I'm not sure if they'll be available in the open world or if it's just a dungeon thing.

New Game + seems to just be a way for you to replay the main story with your max level character if you want to. They haven't really put out a ton of details about it though, like if they'll be any difficulty changes or rewards for doing it besides just getting to see the whole story again.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    the trust system sounded like it is maybe intended as a way to do MSQ instances without waiting half an hour in the queue if you're a DPS job

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Hyur
    Javen wrote: »
    I was REALLY hoping that when they showed off Nomura's character that used the hammer, and mentioned 'he forgot no one in Eorzea uses hammers!' the next sentence would be 'until now'

For the most part, they would work as WAR weapons though. DRK already has an oni club glamour too.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Au Ra
    In my ideal world they would have used it to introduce a melee healer with a big 2-hand hammer kinda like the warrior priests in warhammer online.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Au Ra
    Yeah they breezed through Trust for this keynote since they explained it last one. It's a way to do dungeons solo, though it sounds like it's only for main story dungeons in Shadowbringers

liEt3nH.png
    Au Ra
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l82wTaVhW0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJTHh15yJzw

for those who haven't seen the videos of hrothgar and dancer

liEt3nH.png
    Lalafell

In the main game, they're called Hrothgar. But in the areas the expansion is going to, they're called Ronso. Every in-game race has a different name in that location; Lalafell are Dwarves, Hyur are Humes, Elezen are Elves, etc.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Hah, I got complimented on my character name by a rando.

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Whippy wrote: »
    I think they’ll notice people being upset and eventually commit resources to make the missing gender models but it’ll take time

I sincerely hope they do, but I can't see it showing up until 6.0.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    is it just me or do the textures on my hot furry boyfriends look....bad

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Au Ra
    So uh

An interview's come out where Yoshi-P says that the bara cats just, don't have hats show up. Like, at all.

liEt3nH.png
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    So uh

An interview's come out where Yoshi-P says that the bara cats just, don't have hats show up. Like, at all.

More and more it seems like they did not really think this decision through very well

IKknkhU.gif
    Au Ra
    given that they described both them and viera as having custom heads i'm starting to not hold my breath for viera to have hats either

liEt3nH.png
    Miqo'te
    I imagine that would only apply to head-slot items that cover the head, right?

Surely Viera and Ronso could still wear goggles/glasses/eyepatches/etc.

IKknkhU.gif
    Au Ra
    Stilts wrote: »

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b4o4xr/according_to_interview_with_yoshida/

glasses are apparently mentioned as no

liEt3nH.png
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Hyur
    knowing how hats ended up working on worgen in wow i am really not surprised. at least it sounds like it's something they'll be working on.

• AdusAdus Registered User regular
    Hyur
    overall it feels to me like they couldn't decide which race to add so they tried to have it both ways and add both but genderlocked for dev time reasons. i doubt 'ladies have to be sexy and dudes have to be buff' factored into the decision so much as lady viera and male ronso are what's familiar to the fans. 'lore reasons' was probably just the most convenient explanation for the time.

kinda seems like they felt compelled to add a certain number of 'new things' for a new expansion and this was the best compromise. the people being most vocal are upset, but i wouldn't be shocked if they polled the entire playerbase and the data showed that given the option between just one race but both genders or two races single gender that this was what the majority preferred.

not to say i don't think it's stupid. but i can see them thinking it was a safer bet to do it this way and add the other genders down the line (though sadly i bet it'll be next expansion, or the last patches leading up to it at best)

• ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    i haven't played since halfway through heavensward and honestly hot furries should be a huge selling point for me but everything about them really just seems not great

at least my catboy is cute as hell

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
    Miqo'te

https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/b4o4xr/according_to_interview_with_yoshida/

C1yn7Mi.png

IKknkhU.gif
    Lalafell
    You have to remember that Square is a small indie company; they couldn't possibly have the dev time needed to put glasses on the characters.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Roegadyn

C1yn7Mi.png

This is a really bad idea.

Considering how much people care about and work on outfits for their characters in this game, it's a REALLY bad idea.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Au Ra
    it's bad enough that my favourite glasses aren't even dyeable now you're telling me i might not be able to be a hot bunny bitch and wear them???

liEt3nH.png
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Larlar
    are we being joked with

this all seems so poorly thought out

someone must be having a laugh at us

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Larlar
    maybe they should delay the release of what little they have

maybe in 5.2 or whatever

Miss me? Find me on:

• Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Larlar
    I mean... la la land is a thing... jokes simply can’t exist anymore.

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Elezen
    i've been out of this game for a bit, but what the hey heck?

gender lock races and another dps class? yes, certainly this is what the game needed.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Man, this is the first time I've seen mostly outright negative reactions to FFXIV. I kinda love it.

I mean personally it doesn't hit me because I could give a hoot about Bunniebro's, but it's not like I don't get it, because Female Au'Ra's are a war crime compared to what they originally had in concept art, and the reasoning behind it(SMALL WAIFU'S WILL SELL BETTER HUR DUR).

And while I can understand THAT reasoning as cynical as that is and how much I hate it, this one does kinda not work?

Catboi's are the most played Male race, easy, and another pretty boi race would bring in the development cost like it was nothing.

And it's not like, haha, MORECat boi's are going to be a fervent race change option. I've never seen a race more dead on reveal since FemRoe(Which I love please no one else be Femroe's only I may be HUGE). Like you'll get some of the Hard Furries, but they are perfectly happy with pretty Catbois anyway and they all unanimously want bunnybois.

But the real meat of this discussion is how hard they are making it on themselves for an unpopular decision.

Just LOOKING at that rig for Morecatboi's and I can see the dev nightmare's trying to stretch and fit armor to it. When you could just head swap an Elezen model and call it a day for Bunnybro's. It was hilariously obviously more difficult to design, for what seems to be at first glance an anti-reward.

Lalafell
    Which is why I think they should’ve done Viera or Hrothgar, and used the dev time for the other to make the one fully realized, with headpieces and both sexes.

:Double Posting cause this point has to be separate:

As far as no helmet's for both, this is the hate I don't get.

What people don't typically understand about races is that it is NOT a one time cost and dev time sync. Sure, for the Skeletal stuff, animations, and the like, yes.

But new armor is released basically every patch. And lot's of HARD WORK goes into retroactively making old armors fit new rigs, as well as new ones.

Just taking one glance at Viera and Ronzo heads is an easy "Yep, you would have to make an all new model. For every head item. In the game. Forever. And 99% of them WON'T EVEN LOOK GOOD".

Sure they have the money, but you're dooming the poor armor art team to a permanent hell, one they are ALREADY IN with Cat-helms.

I would rather them not waste time making bad looking ill fitting helmets for Viera's and Liono's.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Elezen
    Are you telling me that Viera can't wear glasses?

Because if so just shut the whole expansion down, do it again

EDIT: Also man, fuck that, they chose to include these races. This wasn't something that was forced on them and they had to figure out how the fuck to make it work so I guess it's okay that they skimped on it.

Maddoc on
    Larlar
    I'm less bothered by the helmet stuff

it's the cherry on top of some backwards ass decision making in regards to fantasy races

like, textbook sexism

which is incredibly disappointing, especially given the number of well-realized female characters in the MSQ

Miss me? Find me on:

• KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Miqo'te
    They're also deconfirmed any new healer, citing difficulty with balancing what we have.

Which is the same reason given for no new healer in SB. Remember the huge effort to rebalance healers in SB?

Don't worry though, since in another event Yoshi-P confirmed that WHM will be made easier to play. (???)

...I might be a bit salty as someone that exclusively plays healers.

Kamar on
    Doobh wrote: »
    I'm less bothered by the helmet stuff

it's the cherry on top of some backwards ass decision making in regards to fantasy races

like, textbook sexism

which is incredibly disappointing, especially given the number of well-realized female characters in the MSQ

I was going to dispute this statement with, "Catbois are in they are not anti-sexy dudes!"

But there is a greater than 50% chance they don't realize that people like Catboi's because they WANT TO FUCK THEM, not because they are some nebulous cool-badass trope.

This discussion has been closed.