As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is Larry the Cable Guy saying watch [Game Grumps] and CoNSumE PriLOsEc

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    slash is the oldest nomenclature
    it's used since the 60's

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, you can find newer fanfic, it's just that the individual fetishes have found their own homes on the Internet. And it varies wildly in quality.

It's not widely circulated for the lol's much anymore.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    The start to this 3D Mario Games compilation made me remember how much I miss Barry.

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/yatenn-xi5o

Sekiro:
    Arin dies twice.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm watching Dragon's Lair 2 right now and JESUS this is some frantic shit.

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Yeah the Don Bluth Laserdisc games are great to look at, but damned if you can do that while actually playing

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yay finally get to watch them play a new game for once.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Detroit: Become Human says hi? Mario Odyssey?

• Options
    Henroid wrote: »

I meant a game that I have no interest in playing. Sorry I wasn't clear. Normally they play a new game that I'm playing or going to play so I skip it. This is the first time I can start it immediately.

• Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfonncRo-3w&t=0s&list=WL&index=320
    The joke they're missing from the opening (which is perfectly understandable because of the bad volume mixing and crackhead pacing of the gameplay) is that Dirk is chased by his mother in law into doing the entire first game in like a minute, with no effort. Then the actual second game starts. If only they didn't pace it so horribly to steal people's quarters.

• Options
    Oh shit there's another one? That was one of my favorite games Dan played.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular

There's also Space Ace, hopefully they'll try that one too.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

There are 3 Dragon's Lairs in the fully animated style, although the 3rd was a hodgepodge of scenes from the first 2 interspaced with some new rooms, new death animations, and 1 completely new sequence that featured a pirate.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options

There's also Space Ace, hopefully they'll try that one too.

Oh please let them do this.

There are 3 Dragon's Lairs in the fully animated style, although the 3rd was a hodgepodge of scenes from the first 2 interspaced with some new rooms, new death animations, and 1 completely new sequence that featured a pirate.

I'm okay with that!

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular

I'm still mad they never finished Odyssey.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    webberwebber Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

I'm still mad they never finished Odyssey.

I thought they finished it on a stream.

This lucky penny is bullshit.
    Hearthstone - Webber #1330
    3DS: 0920-3235-4071
  • Options
    i fucking hate that they're putting the good shit on streams
    but hey that's what the 12 year-olds are all into these days. Gotta get on the Twtch bus

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    but hey that's what the 12 year-olds are all into these days. Gotta get on the Twtch bus

The few I've seen had them roll in several hundred dollars in a few hours too... Probably money related.

• Options
    ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    I'm not super pleased by the streams, myself. I don't usually get to watch streams live, as I have to work. And while you can watch the VOD of a stream, the energy is different. The few VODs I've watched, Arin in particuIar is very low energy. And I get it, it's probably the last thing they're doing that day and it must be exhausting, but the dynamic just feels off.

And it's in large part YouTube's fault. They keep updating their algorithm to rip off content creators help facilitate a better viewing experience. What worked in the past doesn't work now as Youtube will arbitrarily demonetize a video, or the algorithm dumps you into a black hole.

It's why you see so many channels also using things like Patreon and stuff. Ad revenue from YouTube isn't as lucrative as it was. Well, it's lucrative for Google, but not for the content creators bringing in the views. So they need to do live streaming to get donations, or crowd fund their content through another site.

• Options
    Yeah I wish there was another service that they could move to. Fuck YouTube.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I am also not a fan of streams. I watched the youtube upload of Barry's Baba Is You stream and he talked to the viewers for half an hour about Bloodborne or whatever for thirty minutes while he stood around on the map and even when he started playing, he would often stop to read what people were saying or reply to comments. Whenever someone made a donation he stopped what he was doing to acknowledge it and read the message and say thank you. And after each level he'd take ten minutes or so to chat with people. And I understand that engaging with fans is part of what makes streams appealing to some people but I find it annoying, especially when I'm watching the stream after it was recorded.

With the Game Grumps, they are usually exaggerating their personalities or being particularly silly or funny because they are performing. You can't really keep up that kind of energy on a livestream without exhausting yourself so the vibe is way more chill. That's not always a bad thing (streams often have less over-the-top youtuberisms) but for the Grumps, it's not what I watch them for.

• Options
    Wow, fucking really?

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I mean... he's not wrong

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It's pretty misleading, though. Twitch is (and has been) big in gaming, and not just with kids.

Moving to livestreaming can make things pretty inconvenient if you're not good at handling the VOD end of things, though. A lot of the more well established streams who have YouTube followings still re-edit their videos, or at least the good parts, into actual digestible chunks.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    I mean... he's not wrong
    Yes. Yes he fucking is. The audiences and attached Discord communities I've spent time with from Twitch say otherwise.

• Options
    I wouldn't use your own personal anecdotes about twitch since mine are probs wildly different than yours but

I'm aware there's large circles of people who enjoy streams, be it FGC or certain games, personalities and communities that draw people in. But the sad truth is, wether we like it or not, the people with most free time to watch YouTube or streaming on Twitch is people who are too young to have jobs.

I'm not making assumptions, I know Twitch has a big adult audience. I'd just argue the child/teen demographic is spending more time on average engaging with that content. Even if I wanted to get into watching streams, I'm heavily restricted on what I can tune into live because well, I've got a job and other responsibilities. It's easier for me to toss on a YouTube video than load up Twitch app and find someone I like who is live.

Why would Fortnite be the most popular game on Twitch if not for the legions of kids who love it?

• Options
    He uhh... Didn't call you a 12 year old.

• Options
    You're not restricted at all. I've cultivated a follow list to the point where I can pull up Twitch at any hour of the day on any day and a channel I enjoy will be broadcasting. Is it my most favorite channels all the time? No, but most channels operate on schedules like classic television. And sometimes I miss the stream. And I almost never check out the VODs.

Sometimes you miss a broadcast and that's okay. I dunno, maybe it's because I grew up in the era before on-demand became a normal function in households, but most television shows I watched I missed episodes of. But I rarely felt like I was missing out on a bigger picture or whatever.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Like was mentioned earlier, there is a different energy when watching live and commenting along, than watching later and experiencing all the awkwardness of a live stream without the added benefit like interaction with the hosts and seeing things unfold as they happened. Sometimes streams get pulled or the audio is redacted because of copyright or other reasons. The magic to streaming is the live nature. If I'm watching a stream recording, it might as we be an edited highlight video or a Let's Play on YouTube. I think that's why people are frustrated the grumps are gravitating towards the streaming space, especially with fan favorite series that finally get a resolution, but with an entirely different tone and energy than the original recordings.

Imo there's plenty of Let's Play channels I watch already that just keep the good bits in, and I much prefer that sort of edited pacing. I'll take a Funhaus gameplay vid with dumb cutaway jokes over a Shroud stream any day of the week.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    I love following streamers that interact with their viewers, personally. And it feels kinda cool to be a part of the whole thing... Especially if you make a comment and they respond to it.

Generally I am never online when they stream. I somehow miss it every time. The VODs aren't as fun, but they have some gems in there.

• Options
    i spend lots of hours on twitch, but gamegrumps is fundamentally a channel for a younger audience. The Power Hour, Arin's sense of humor, they all cater to the lower end of the age spectrum. So twitch is itself is not for 12 year olds, but GG+Twitch definitely is.

and yeah, I don't blame Arin for moving contento to the newer, hipper, more lucrative platform. It's just a pity that I won't get to see any more gems like the zelda and 3d mario series. But that's my problem.\

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    i spend lots of hours on twitch, but gamegrumps is fundamentally a channel for a younger audience. The Power Hour, Arin's sense of humor, they all cater to the lower end of the age spectrum. So twitch is itself is not for 12 year olds, but GG+Twitch definitely is.

and yeah, I don't blame Arin for moving contento to the newer, hipper, more lucrative platform. It's just a pity that I won't get to see any more gems like the zelda and 3d mario series. But that's my problem.\
    How do you define this part, specifically? Because they curse a lot, and talk about a lot of adult stuff.

Edit - And more to the point, if Game Grumps are for a younger audience and you enjoy watching them, why is Twitch bad for being for the same audience?

Henroid on
  • Options
    Like you're basically trying to establish some sort of hierarchy to entertainment and put yourself at the top to look down at others, be it the viewers or platform types. That is just really silly goosey.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    kids love curses

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Like you're basically trying to establish some sort of hierarchy to entertainment and put yourself at the top to look down at others, be it the viewers or platform types. That is just really silly goosey.

I really think you are going out of your way to get offended by his remark.

• Options

People can object to a thing said without being offended, ura. Knock it off, you know better.

• Options
  • Options

People can object to a thing said without being offended, ura. Knock it off, you know better.

He likes what he likes. Nowhere in there does he even mention that he's the only one that matters. He's admitted that it's his problem, not the Grumps'.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.