As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Spider-Man] Speeder and Miles Webs Prower 10/20/23

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    The only issue I'm having is that the counter button is circle and not triangle like in the batman series. I can't counter to save my life.

This took a lot of time for me, on top of the timing being slightly different than the counter in Batman.

Another good tip is that dodge won't work that great if you have a gun aimed at you and someone is punching. You'll Dodge one but not the other and get hit. That being said, combos are a lot more forgiving than Arkham games, which drops combos as soon as you whiff.

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    You're not countering though. You're dodging.

Dirty wrote: »

I mean, it's a similar concept. And there are powers that allow counters like the OHKO webzip.

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    The only issue I'm having is that the counter button is circle and not triangle like in the batman series. I can't counter to save my life.

This took a lot of time for me, on top of the timing being slightly different than the counter in Batman.

Another good tip is that dodge won't work that great if you have a gun aimed at you and someone is punching. You'll Dodge one but not the other and get hit. That being said, combos are a lot more forgiving than Arkham games, which drops combos as soon as you whiff.

Yeah, the combat isn't as "locked-in" as the Batman Arkham games. Spider-Man encourages more experimentation and creativity and has some more wiggle room regarding combos and dodge windows to make room for the increased moveset.

It's a good direction to go for the character.

I mean, it's a similar concept. And there are powers that allow counters like the OHKO webzip.

I didn't mean to imply that countering doesn't exist, just that there's no one-button "press to counter" move. I just try to discourage people from approaching it like it's Batman, since the biggest problem people tend to have at first is approaching the game like it's Batman.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular

I didn't mean to imply that countering doesn't exist, just that there's no one-button "press to counter" move. I just try to discourage people from approaching it like it's Batman, since the biggest problem people tend to have at first is approaching the game like it's Batman.

Exactly. My advice to people is "Bayonetta that shit". Dodge always. Spiderman don't stand there waiting for punches, Spiderman zips around and does all the punching.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    So I should be mashing circle constantly?

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Not constantly but if there a couple of mooks near you that you don't have space for, dodging to create space will go a long way. Unlike Batman though, dodging doesn't give you invincibility and you can still be hit in the recovery (which is really nasty when one of those big lads gets in close and you miss-time a dodge). However, also unlike Bats, consecutive dodges won't drop your combo, so you can be much more free with them to make space, combined with the zip kick, you can really move around the area very quickly.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    Easiest way to start a combo and scatter people is with a Swing Kick, or launching + kicking away a few guys to knock them apart

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    The sense warning for dodging is really long (and dodging doesn't stop them like Batman countering does), so if you hit O as soon as it shows up, they can have time to track you and get back in range before they actually attack. If you just take the sense as a warning to get ready, then dodge just as they attack (there's an extra sense-flash or something), you get a perfect dodge which is guaranteed to avoid them (and you can get extra skills to exploit it, like slowing time on a perfect dodge, or setting your attacker up for an instant takedown).

Perfect dodges are more tricky to learn, but well worth it. Try getting in some easy fights and practice until you get it down, and it makes fights a lot easier.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I eventually started cycling through gadgets during combat. It made things more interesting to try to best utilize a web grenade, place an electric web in a tight group, or float a few guys under a jetpack dude and clean up.

It felt right, helping Spider-Man be the annoying-loudmouth-nuisance-genius crime fighter that he is.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2019
    Definitely took me a few hours to break myself out of expecting Arkham/Mordor combat flow in each fight. I was dying more than I ever did in any Batman game (which is to say, I was dying sometimes), until I completely abandoned my old habits and tried fighting like Spider-Man (constantly moving and dodging, constantly cycling gadgets, cycling from air to ground, etc.).
    Renzo wrote: »
    I eventually started cycling through gadgets during combat. It made things more interesting to try to best utilize a web grenade, place an electric web in a tight group, or float a few guys under a jetpack dude and clean up.

It felt right, helping Spider-Man be the annoying-loudmouth-nuisance-genius crime fighter that he is.
    Yeah, this. You know, I leaned too heavily on certain gadgets in the Batman games, and I would always forget half of the combat moves by the end of the game. In Spider-Man, I use pretty much every type of move and every gadget, because gadget uses are limited, because so many are fun to use (I just love webbing dudes to walls), and because it's essential. (Also, the wheel rules, whereas I could never remember the hold-button-and-press-other-button combinations in Batman for my lesser-used stuff.) And I still occasionally die in battle!

I actually didn't love the combat or the swinging from the jump. But after many hours with both, and with so many useful abilities for both, I have fallen in love.

Also: Wow, level 41 suit? I adore it. The greatest.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Why not both?

Two free suits today.

Bagman and Future Foundation suits.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Hell fucking yeah, it's so cool they're tossing out free suits. The old school Spidey games had so many secret suits, I'm glad they're not being stingy with them.

I wouldn't mind a version of that Bagman with a normal Spidey mask. That Fantastic Four suit looks pretty slick.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited January 2019
    Future Foundation costume looks dope.

Dirty on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I really want a no suit costume. Without the mask specifically, just let you swing around as Peter. I know it would make zero sense and be the most odd looking thing in cutscenes, but you can also dress up as anime Spider-Man so who cares about that? The only legit reason I can think of is that you couldn't have his face actually emote during cutscenes since that would be an obscene amount of work for a simple costume. So the best you could do is a simple static Peter face, which again would look odd in cutscenes, but again anime Spidey, so just go for it.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I really want a no suit costume. Without the mask specifically, just let you swing around as Peter. I know it would make zero sense and be the most odd looking thing in cutscenes, but you can also dress up as anime Spider-Man so who cares about that? The only legit reason I can think of is that you couldn't have his face actually emote during cutscenes since that would be an obscene amount of work for a simple costume. So the best you could do is a simple static Peter face, which again would look odd in cutscenes, but again anime Spidey, so just go for it.

How about a Spidey mask that is just Parker's face printed on the mask?

I don't know which it would be more of: creepy or funny.

How about a Spidey mask that is just Parker's face printed on the mask?

I don't know which it would be more of: creepy or funny.

Invert it. Peter's head with a cardboard Spidey printed on it, Team Fortress 2 Spy-style.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Spyder-man

It's a tall order, but I wish the cel-shaded comic book suit, and the Spider-Clan suit also applied a similar filter to the game world. They look so awesome, but super out of place in the more realistic looking game world.

About halfway through on my Nightmare playthrough, the Future Foundation suit is so cool
    8zz89ddzbzcu.jpeg
    wlpgoxdsisq6.jpeg
    skddqsdblsvo.jpeg

Thanks for the tips you guys. Now that I have finished RE2 I started playing this again and I'm having a much better time with it. Not playing it as Arkham has worked great!

Welp, finished NG+ and Ultimate mode today. Not 100% on that file and not sure I'm gonna go that far. Still haven't picked up the DLC but I might wait, I've played a lot of Spidey. It's easily the best game of last year and I've put a lot of hours in.

I just unlocked the vintage cartoon suit and I love it.

How is the DLC for this game anyway? I don't know how close to the end I am but I can see myself putting some hours into some DLC.

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    I’ve only completed the Black Cat chapter so far. It’s good. Although the new crimes are mostly more of the same, the new challenges are different and fun. Nice way to get more challenge tokens if you need em.

-- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
    The DLC is mostly more of the game, and it assumes you've played through the main game first. They add one new enemy in each one, but they're all a pain in the neck to deal with, especially if you don't have all your gadgets/skills.

Story-wise there's it's own self contained thing that covers the 3 dlcs (pretty much acts 1, 2 and 3 of a story), and some elements thrown in that feel like setting up the next game.

It's not essential, but if you complete the game and want to play more, have at it.

That's the best kind of DLC, in my opinion. Thanks for the information!

Finished this last night and what a ride. Other than a few "get spotted and retry" spots the game was a blast from beginning to end.

i032j584mbj3.jpeg

Made sure to take screenshots in this area on my second run

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    So I finally 100% the dlc missions.

After the finale one, my complete reaction of the DLC additions is....it was ok. Hammerhead was a boring villain to base it around but fortunately everything involving Black Cat and Sable I really enjoyed. The extra side content was sorely lacking though as it was just variations of stuff you have already done many times. More irritating warehouses to complete and the screwball missions can all die in a fire. So so horrible.

The best part was the unlockable costumes, but even then I don't use them much.

Since it's release, I've been mostly using the Raimi suit. :heartbeat:

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    100%'d this Sunday. Got ultimate on all the taskmaster challenges except for the drone challenges. those were nuts. Gonna tackle the DLC after I finish with an exam I'm studying for.

• VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    ...and now I finally 100%'d all the DLC too. Only thing I haven't done is do NG+ and/or Ultimate difficulty which I do plan to do, but I need a break. I have open world fatigue.

Pretty much exactly what @Brainiac 8 said. Initially I did like taskmaster challenges and screwball challenges and warehouses, but by the time I went through the DLC. I was so fed up with them and was only doing them to get the 100% It just became work...not fun which is why it took me over a month to finish.

I'm enjoying having a reason to go back into the game since I bought the DLC on sale last week, but I don't have any intentions of 100% these side missions. Clearing random crimes was already a huge grind in the main game.

• The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I honestly haven't touched the 3rd DLC yet. Just had too much on my plate.

And while I agree the side missions can be butts, especially Screwball's bullshit... it's borderline required in the 2nd DLC for, IMO, the best suit in the game.
    OkrxTgg.png

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    oh son of a, the DLC was on sale? dangit

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    I think the DLC suits range from meh to awful for me, so I won't be bothered not having them.

Hardtarget wrote: »
    oh son of a, the DLC was on sale? dangit

It's still on sale.

• Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    The best suit in the game (Raimi suit) was free and I used it for the rest of the game once it was available.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!