As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Honestly I only touch speed nodes on slow mechs

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Cantido wrote: »
    What invisible stat is making vehicles indestructible until a second mech alpha strikes it? They usually don't have Evasion when I unload on them, but they don't go down until I've fired upon them twice.

They just have a lot of armor and virtually no structure. So if you can nail them with a high damage weapon that'll usually make them pop. Smaller weapons take longer to sandpaper down more armor.

E.g. typically if I unload a double AC20 on a vehicle, it's going down if both connect. Especially if I'm doing a called shot. Do the same with a bunch of medium lasers and SRMs and it may or may not.

Orca on
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    What invisible stat is making vehicles indestructible until a second mech alpha strikes it? They usually don't have Evasion when I unload on them, but they don't go down until I've fired upon them twice.

They just have a lot of armor and virtually no structure. So if you can nail them with a high damage weapon that'll usually make them pop. Smaller weapons take longer to sandpaper down more armor.

E.g. typically if I unload a double AC20 on a vehicle, it's going down if both connect. Especially if I'm doing a called shot. Do the same with a bunch of medium lasers and SRMs and it may or may not.

Melee attacks also do double damage vs vehicles, so the spider will punch like an AC20 iirc.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Woo Pokemon's complete! Finally nabbed a Battlemaster and Atlas to complete the assault weight class for +10k career points, and +25k for finishing all four weight bands.

I've got a little over 240 days to go. I need to figure out the best way to max score with the time I have left. Higher skull contracts deliver more points, but you can't get as many per system jump. (I admit, I have been savescumming when I arrive in a 4+ skull system owned by a faction I have max rep with and find no available missions.)

It's hard for me to imaging getting the points for visiting all systems and having time to do much of anything else. That one seems at odds with most of the others, which are ultimately driven by taking contracts (pilot XP, salvaging mechs, C-bills, faction rep, mercenary board rep and contract completion itself.)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    The video title says it all, really.

https://youtu.be/5ASoOtyPgr8

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Yep, good stuff. Especially for kills.

I run mine with 3ERMicros for more ammo and max engine.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I ended up in the latest TTB vid.

Not in a bad or good way, more of a background character in the second match (I'm the Annihilator).

https://youtu.be/RViIm2JDA6Q

Nobody on
  • Options
    Betsuni wrote: »

I sacrificed a half-ton of MG ammo and a tiny bit of armor on the arms to run the Heavy Smalls. I was running your build for a bit. I liked it, but the micros weren't quite stripping as much armor as I would've liked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I've decided that missile based CPLTs in MWO aren't worth playing. Too easy to disarm, weapon systems that are too finicky (LRMs are easy to counterplay, MRMs have enough spread where you need to be point blank to use them).

• Options
    Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »

That Blood Asp at the beginning should have absolutely splattered you the way you were just standing there.

sXXjb1B.png
  • Options

That Blood Asp at the beginning should have absolutely splattered you the way you were just standing there.

If you listen, I actually asked if he didn't see us or something. I was counting on the other Lights backshotting him, so I was just trying to occupy his attention. 12th game in the Piranha, btw. I'm usually an Assault pilot.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I mean, he was turning to track you...and somehow didn't shoot at you? Or maybe the pilot was the opposite of a crack shot, and just whiffed?

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Nips wrote: »
    I mean, he was turning to track you...and somehow didn't shoot at you? Or maybe the pilot was the opposite of a crack shot, and just whiffed?

Just thought of it, could have been his UACs were locked up. Only thought I had.
    Nobody wrote: »
    I've decided that missile based CPLTs in MWO aren't worth playing. Too easy to disarm, weapon systems that are too finicky (LRMs are easy to counterplay, MRMs have enough spread where you need to be point blank to use them).

Only Catapult I run these days is the one with ballistics in the torsos. I run it with 2 RAC5s and ERML in the arms for shooting down UAVs and to scare the timid. Also I run it with a light engine to not blow up once the torso is blown off. It also screws with people who are used to seeing an IS mech blow up once they take off a torso.
    Betsuni wrote: »

I sacrificed a half-ton of MG ammo and a tiny bit of armor on the arms to run the Heavy Smalls. I was running your build for a bit. I liked it, but the micros weren't quite stripping as much armor as I would've liked.

I actually converted to the 3 ERMicros from 1 heavy ML. The ML actually would do a lot of damage and I didn't have to worry about my arms. Still waffling on keeping the 3 micros just because they are more tickle and I usually get one blown off early.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Catapult is in a rough place in general

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    his first laser volley goes all over the place, and then he just kinda stands there and gets destroyed

this is probably group queue so, I dunno, newbies?

also what kind of savage uses the legs direction arrow

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    I ended up in the latest TTB vid.

Not in a bad or good way, more of a background character in the second match (I'm the Annihilator).

https://youtu.be/RViIm2JDA6Q
    This makes me think I should grab Seismic on my Mad Cat, far too often I need to commit blindly and walk into the entire enemy team due to random targets from my teammates making me think the majority of their force is somewhere else.

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    So, uh, how pissed do you think people will be if they were grouped with an SRM swayback with only 2049 tech and an XL engine?

Just wondering because you guys finally got me to redownload MWO while Om at work, haven't played since beta, and I'm pretty sure that's the only mech I actually own.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    his first laser volley goes all over the place, and then he just kinda stands there and gets destroyed

this is probably group queue so, I dunno, newbies?

You've watched me play. Imagine how bad I'd be without it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Foefaller wrote: »
    So, uh, how pissed do you think people will be if they were grouped with an SRM swayback with only 2049 tech and an XL engine?

Just wondering because you guys finally got me to redownload MWO while Om at work, haven't played since beta, and I'm pretty sure that's the only mech I actually own.

2049 tech? People might be a wee bit salty about that one.

Did we even have fusion engines in 2049? :wink:

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options

I still do (did), because sometimes more and obvious information is better than less or obscured information.

As previously established though, I'm a scrub.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Erlkönig wrote: »

I think, more importantly, we need to aspire to have fusion engines in 2049, and really get this whole dark timeline rolling!

Also, technically, yes, in 2021 per canon.

Nips on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I played MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries for the first time in probably 3 or 4 years last night. Which involved:

1) Taking out the HP Compaq mini PC and plugging it in.
    2) Plugging it into my actual UHD monitor via a VGA to HDMI booster because god knows what's wrong with the Compaq's DisplayPort out.
    3) Plugging in a USB keyboard and wired mouse
    4) Playing around with the various fixes in the "MechWarrior Quadrilogy [sic]".

Started up a Mercenary Company (the trick is to pick a callsign which also sounds like a name, because the game is going to use it as both in the flavor text, "Sokol"), and got through the introductory low pay 4-mission contract under the Draconis Combine (who were ironically shooting at me in the opening, killing my old boss) with Hansen's Roughriders. Some of those missions could probably be completed in under 60 seconds.

God I missed this. It must be one of the most pure forms of nostalgia, even more than TIE Fighter. Listening to Sergeant "Dead-eye" Unther belt out his dumb one liners, "Welcome to glory road, kid! Don't think of them as people you killed. Think of them as a line on your resume," exchanging fire with the dumb-as-bricks AI with the dumb-as-bricks mouse controllers. This was almost worth the absurd cost to get a Windows 7 legacy machine up and running.

Don't know why it's stuck at 640 x 480 though.

• Options

Not as bad as someone using that same mech with LRMs instead and complaining about locks.

I pulled out my old data and realized that I started MWO with a COM-1B. Which I remember running it with a LRM-5 on it just because I was weird back then. Standing back with the Assaults lobbing missiles till they ran out and then saving those same Assaults when the light pack came in with my laser backups.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Honestly I only touch speed nodes on slow mechs

I haven't put points into the armor nodes of my lights, because you gain a pretty low % of a pretty low armor number. I'd rather put it into speed, where faster turning, acceleration, and top speed can get me into and out of sticky situations more easily, so that extra 2 armor in the arms isnt as needed.
    I might try swapping them, though. I've got tens of thousands of XP on my Cheetah just sitting there.

I've been playing more heavy (TBR WAR) and Assault (WHM IIC BL) thanks to the current event, trying to rack up damage and assists, and also skill them up. Man, it's probably not true, but it feels like there is a huge need to the XP gain on that WHM. I earn 2-3 SP every match with the TBR, and 0-1 on the WHM. I feel like my damage output is similar on both...
    Also I did not contribute much to any of my matches over the weekend.

• Options
    I wish I played this weekend to get more of the event done. But didn't get to my PC.

For the assist, I usually take a light and equip it with some long range laser and strafe the enemy formations. It is cheating and it is also how I got the 12 assist in one game achievement long ago.

For damage I usually run my Jenner IIc for all the missiles. But so far I've been running my Pirate's Bane again.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

If not I'd like to apply for an internal combustion engine Catapult with machine guns and an AC10, please.
    81zjdhs0ar51.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Nips wrote: »

I think, more importantly, we need to aspire to have fusion engines in 2049, and really get this whole dark timeline rolling!

Also, technically, yes, in 2021 per canon.

The funny thing is that immediately after I made the comment, I hopped over to Sarna and checked. Apparently, according to them, fusion technology was a 2021 thing. They don't specify exactly when mech-based fusion reactors were invented, but there are two references that could indicate, roughly, when:

1)
    Fusion technology was achieved by the Western Alliance in 2021.[18] Almost a century later, fusion technology had progressed to the point of using protium, the most abundant isotope of hydrogen.
    (emphasis mine)

and 2)
    Unlike the research reactors of the real world, a BattleMech's fusion engine runs on "light" hydrogen, protium, rather than hydrogen's heavier isotopes deuterium and tritium.
    (again, emphasis mine)

So it sounds like 21492121 (edit-ugh, need more than 3 hours of sleep to do maths) at the latest.

Also, this just goes to show exactly to what extent I'll avoid filing my weekly timesheets.

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    The Bludgeon is just bad. The best builds on it are better done by other mechs (Warhawk and other WHMIIC builds). It’s not terrible if you don’t have one of those, just don’t expect it to do much

• Options
    monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    The Bludgeon is just bad. The best builds on it are better done by other mechs (Warhawk and other WHMIIC builds). It’s not terrible if you don’t have one of those, just don’t expect it to do much

It, like the other two Assaults I have, were acquired for free from events. With 2LPL and 3 ERML it does alright for two rounds of shooting, then has to back off.

• Options
    I have no idea how to play Forest Colony Classic. Like, I never knew back in the day either, and I don't know now. Don't go in the water, I remember that bit, but it always seems to turn into either getting bogged down at the cave entrance and pinned in, or getting chased into the water and picked off.

Come to think of it, I don't know how to play Forest Colony modern either. It always seems to turn into "assaults hugging the central hill wall, everyone else taking potshots, then one side rushes the other and wins/loses".

• Options
    Glal wrote: »
    I have no idea how to play Forest Colony Classic. Like, I never knew back in the day either, and I don't know now. Don't go in the water, I remember that bit, but it always seems to turn into either getting bogged down at the cave entrance and pinned in, or getting chased into the water and picked off.

Come to think of it, I don't know how to play Forest Colony modern either. It always seems to turn into "assaults hugging the central hill wall, everyone else taking potshots, then one side rushes the other and wins/loses".

I'm now wondering if going water might work for a stealth Locust and/or Flea. Sure, you'd need long-ish range weapons that don't draw a line straight to you (so...basically, do what you can to fit a PPC or snub-nose crammed on)...but it'd be kinda (maybe) fun to try running a submerged build.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Glal wrote: »

Pushing either wide through the forest or along the beach seems to be best on modern.

12v12 on the classic maps is just a slug fest

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    So, finally back home and started up MWO. Remembered login, also remembered I didn't capitalize the first F in my handle and how that drove me insane. Think they'll take a ticket years after the fact?

Finally have a look one my HBK-4SP. Turns out I realized how stupid an XL engine on a medium brawler was before I stopped playing, weight saver was Endo steel. 4x mlas, two SRM6's with Artemis, and a small laser. Also apparently had a ton of Streak SRM ammo for some reason.

This is what it's at now, minus the streak ammo. Having no clue if it's redeemable, but with only 3mil C-Bills and no desire to put money down atm, I think upgrading it is all I can do until I get a hang of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It doesn't look all that bad. Before you start up, I recommend going through the tutorial. It'll give you some free cbills and get you a bit back into the groove.

Not sure about the name change. I'm trying to remember if they let people do that for free once or something like that. But it might have been in a different game.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    So, finally back home and started up MWO. Remembered login, also remembered I didn't capitalize the first F in my handle and how that drove me insane. Think they'll take a ticket years after the fact?

Actually, I think you get 1 free name change
    I did it a while ago, its in your account oage on the website

404 not found
  • Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Catapult is in a rough place in general

The K2 is ok-ish once you find a build you like, since you can place everything (ballistics) in the torso and sorta~ shield with the arms. And not bad as a double PPC boat either, but I can't hit shit with PPCs so...

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Got my Orion IICA from the event. It's nice that it already came pre-built with the meta loadout.

Still need to finish out the last 25 bags (15 from from assists, 8 left from the 100 match score portion).

Got a good chunk of them on the back of all things, my PIR-1. That little fish got some work done tonight nomming the ass of multiple assaults. Best match of the night involved Solaris City Conquest, where I capped two points, then proceeded to kill 5 of the enemy team starting with an Annihilator who backed into my machine guns. I didn't even get any assists in that game, every enemy mech I touched I killed.

Nobody on
  • Options
    I got in a few matches tonight to blow off steam. Did roughly 200 damage per match regardless of the stomping both ways. One match was against a fellow Oosik. Just was not on my A game tonight. At least one match my stealth armor helped when a Piranha killed a teammate right in front of me and ran off. I was standing next to some metal boxes on Classic Forrest Colony deep in enemy territory.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    So, I ended up putting the free ton from the mysterious Streak SRM ammo into leg armor, and after doing the tutorial jumped into a couple quick matches. Fortunately both were classic maps so I wasn't completely lost. Unfortunately first match I acted like an idiot noob and ran off by myself to get murdered from four different directions (though at least I wasn't the first to die). Second match was a bit better, tag-teamed a Raven for a kill and stripped the arm armor off a Stalker before getting murdered from just three different directions. Might have lasted longer, but the (I'm guessing trial) Wolfhound and I did about as much damage to each other as we did to the Raven.

I'm thinking of undoing that leg armor and the slas I'm never using and doing something utility with the weight instead. Thought about AMS for a second, but I get the feeling I'm not nominally important enough to use LRMs on. Maybe a Beagle Probe? Any suggestions?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AMS also helps stop missiles targeting nearby friendlies, and even then ATM/LRM boats don’t care what kind of mech you are, if they get the red carrot they’re going to make it rain.