As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    @Athenor please post impressions of the RFTG expansion! I really want to try it but I can't justify the price ATM.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any opinion on Underwater Cities? I was considering it on Amazon since it's up and I've heard opinions here and there but all good.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Ah_Pook wrote: »
      Athenor please post impressions of the RFTG expansion! I really want to try it but I can't justify the price ATM.

It might be a bit. My usual players moved to 3 different cities, but I think I can teach some new players.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      I grabbed a clearance copy of Space Base for $10 from a local place, which I'm pretty stoked about

• Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      So you may or may not remember that I put in a box order for 7 Wonders Armada that'll be due to arrive by May.

Last night a FLGS just posted a pic of their new arrivals, which included.... drumroll please.... the new expansion for 7 Wonders, 7 Wonders Armada! Ahhhhshit.

I can just buy it now and resell the arriving copy at a loss, but that will just realtalk feed into my impulsive tendencies. Doing the responsible thing is hard, guys.

• Options
      PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      Played a few acres of snow and spirit Island today. Super fun, though I think AfaoS was so good it made spirit Island less fun by comparison.

Yesterday I played two games of Confusion and one of Ghost Stories. Fun times but less impressive games.

sig.gif
    • Options
      MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      edited March 2019
      Astaereth wrote: »
      My only problem with Root is that there seems to be very little actual player interaction during turns. Unless somebody is playing an Ambush card or using a crafted power during a fight, you can pretty much ignore what anybody else is doing and just look at the game state when it gets back to your turn. And since turns are all optimization puzzles this can lead to five minutes per other player that you’re just twiddling your thumbs.

In other news I played a partial game of Arkham Horror 3rd Edition tonight and wow, it’s such a vast improvement from the old AH. I really like the variable town, the way the story develops (a significant improvement over the Eldritch Horror quests), the visuals... It’s good shit. I like the flow, too—it captures the feel of “as soon as you tamp down one crisis, another one develops” well without feeling overwhelming either.

My only real quibble so far is that even in one partial game I think we’ve run into three separate rules that weren’t clear in some small way (do magical curios or whatever count as curios? How exactly does monster engagement work? What happens to anomaly encounter cards once they’re used? were I think the three, maybe there was another one too). Which is kind of annoying, usually FFG is better with rules than that.

But generally it is a handsome, polished game, and another fine addition to the always enjoyable FFG Lovecraft pile.

I enjoyed my time with AH3, but the replayability just isn't there. You just skip over the story text the 2nd or 3rd time with a scenario, so it loses that advantage over Eldritch and then you're just stuck with the exact same 3 stages in the exact same order every time.

Once you hit that point, beating the scenarios is ridiculously easy. The only challenge left at that point leads into another weakness...

The investigators are crazy lopsided. Tommy, Calvin, and Marie are miles better than the rest. Norman, Dexter, and Rex are miles worse, and familiar scenarios only have a decent chance at failure if you use those "garbage three".

The variable starting equipment was a good idea but you realize that there's usually one flat out superior choice.

The expansions really need to add some kind of randominzation to scenario goals, but I fear they're just going to add more fiddly junk like the past expansions did (i.e. the fifty different unique asset decks and 10+ minute reckoning phases that bloated Eldritch).

MrBody on
    • Options
      RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
      I was thinking the other day about how nice it'd be to play BSG again, maybe find four other people who liked the show and would be down for a few hours of board gaming. I only have the base game, I should really pick up Pegasus to fill it out a little bit at least.

Oh, shit. They're all out of print? Why wouldn't they be. They're like $140-200 apiece on eBay. Fuck.

... does anyone have used copies of the expansions lying around that they're never gonna play again? =/

• Options
      InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
      Played a few acres of snow and spirit Island today. Super fun, though I think AfaoS was so good it made spirit Island less fun by comparison.

Yesterday I played two games of Confusion and one of Ghost Stories. Fun times but less impressive games.

A Few Acres of Snow is wonderful.

If you are the type to look up strategies online I would say don’t for this game. Enjoy the ride.

• Options
      FryFry Registered User regular
      edited March 2019
      Rius wrote: »
      I was thinking the other day about how nice it'd be to play BSG again, maybe find four other people who liked the show and would be down for a few hours of board gaming. I only have the base game, I should really pick up Pegasus to fill it out a little bit at least.

Oh, shit. They're all out of print? Why wouldn't they be. They're like $140-200 apiece on eBay. Fuck.

... does anyone have used copies of the expansions lying around that they're never gonna play again? =/

Good lord, those prices are ridiculous.

Pegasus might be the worst expansion. Exodus is probably the best, Daybreak is in-between.

If you just want to fill out the game but don't want to spend the pile of money:
      - house-rule the updated text to Investigative Committee (so it doesn't reveal the cards from Destiny before players add their cards to the check)
      - DIY print-and-play new human character sheets from the expansions, and/or fan-created characters (some of them are quite good, IIRC)
      - You could also DIY Cylon Leaders if you wanted. Use the Leader Goals from Exodus rather than the horrifically unfun Leader Agendas from Pegasus, if you do
      - If you're sleeving with opaque sleeves, you can DIY some of the new loyalty cards (I really like Personal Goals if you're finding the humans have it too easy. Final Five are interesting if you want to nerf "look at a loyalty card" effects)

Fry on
    • Options
      38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
      I like the Pegasus from Pegasus. I feel like the Basestar Bridge is too powerful without it, but then I haven't played it in forever.

38thDoE on steam
      🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
      LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
      I'm in the same boat of having managed to snap up the base game right before it went OOP and likely never seeing the expansions, it's a little sad.

On the plus side, we're so old that there'll probably be a BSG reboot in 5-10 years followed by a reboot of the board game...

• Options
      RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
      Yeah all the games I ever played of Base+Pegasus never actually went to New Caprica, they just threw in the Pegasus location board.

• Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      I had a group of friends that would play BSG almost every weekend for a year. It got so crazy meta after a while, with each of us starting to learn tells of each other, which in turn cause counter-tells to emerge.

The base game was solid, but felt a little underwhelming just jumping to 8 distance. Having the big ground fight of New Caprica in the Pegasus was much harder to win, but far more satisfying. Our favorite addition was the Cylon Fleet from the Exodus expansion.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
      Inquisitor wrote: »

A Few Acres of Snow is wonderful.

If you are the type to look up strategies online I would say don’t for this game. Enjoy the ride.

We almost exclusively play me british and him french because i won't halifax hammer. I go for a duquesne win, either via raiding or via canso / port royal / halifax or theoretically through rushing before he expands and develops, but he mostly doesn't try that anymore.

This was my first clean win in a while. We each bought the free raider, one militia, and one reg inf. I bought a siege artillery. Nobody bought any other military, no military leader or anything. I ended up with I think 4 blue cubes to his none, and fortified Duquesne, Albany, Fort Beaujouis, and Pemaquid. Got either 3 via raids and 1 via a halifax siege or 2 via raids and 2 via siege. He couldn't make up the points difference and i'd governed well so he didn't think he could transition to pure military and bust his way through pemaquid, so he resigned once all hope was lost.

sig.gif
    • Options
      MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
      edited March 2019
      I honestly thought BSG was best without any expansions material except the cylon fleet and house ruled Investigative Committee card. The Pegasus board and characters were overpowered to the point they made the game "solveable" with best choices that pegged you for a Cylon the instant you failed to carry them out.

Ever since I got Dark Moon though, I've never been able to go back to BSG. You sacrifice the space portion for a faster experience and a much more interesting crises mechanic.

test
      geth roll 2d6

2d6 9 [2d6=5, 4]

MrBody on
    • Options
      FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
      That rarest of all things, a Kickstarter campaign that ran and shipped on time. THE FANTASY TRIP is here.

a62jc4yh783i.jpg

• Options
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      I had a group of friends that would play BSG almost every weekend for a year. It got so crazy meta after a while, with each of us starting to learn tells of each other, which in turn cause counter-tells to emerge.

The base game was solid, but felt a little underwhelming just jumping to 8 distance. Having the big ground fight of New Caprica in the Pegasus was much harder to win, but far more satisfying. Our favorite addition was the Cylon Fleet from the Exodus expansion.

I found the New Caprica endgame was unsatisfying most of the time. Most of the civilians usually got left on the ground. :/ At least with the standard endgame, you have that tension of waiting for the jump icons to pile up.

• Options
      Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
      Fairchild wrote: »
      That rarest of all things, a Kickstarter campaign that ran and shipped on time. THE FANTASY TRIP is here.

So is it about weekend mini-breaks or drugs?

Also wow, that's some old school hex action going on.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    • Options
      FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
      Also wow, that's some old school hex action going on.

Hold on while I put in a Duran Duran tape.

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Five24 Labs (makers of Mint Works and Mint Delivery) have a new Kickstarter for Area 1851. It's got a neat card combination mechanic to make weird stuff for points. It's not an instant-back for me, but I'm keeping my eye on it. It seems neat, but want to watch the different play through videos and get a better impression first.

a3949a89339ee85fc588ba82c2d0a667_original.gif?ixlib=rb-1.1.0&w=680&fit=max&v=1553525570&auto=format&gif-q=50&q=92&s=3103bdde44c0f9a42fe6a766816d118d

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
      Pegasus is one of my white whale games - I'd love to own it (I own the base and other two expansions), and would happily drop 150 on it......IF it got good reviews. I never bought it because it was always the last-place choice, but now I have an incomplete BSG box!

camo_sig2.png
    • Options
      LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
      Pegasus is one of my white whale games - I'd love to own it (I own the base and other two expansions), and would happily drop 150 on it......IF it got good reviews. I never bought it because it was always the last-place choice, but now I have an incomplete BSG box!

The Pegasus component itself, and the characters, are really good. It's not worth $150 though.

• Options
      38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
      Why brig someone when you can airlock them? Sure something something lose the game, but a razor doesn't care about winning games. Or something. Its been a long time since I watched that show.

38thDoE on steam
      🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
      ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      That's for the best. That'll keep you from wondering why they can't build a functioning cylon detector despite the fact that they're shown to repeatedly have red-glow-emitting spines. <_<

• Options
      edited March 2019
      As promised, here are some of my initial concepts for my card designs. These are for the Ship cards, which act as Minions/Creatures from Hearthstone/MtG.

Hearthstone style:
      94hnegekdt5p.jpg

MtG style:
      btx83lageg3i.jpg

Please note that the text for Cost, Pilots, Atk, and Shields is just there for clarity and will be icons in the final version. The other text, such as the name, type, and effects will be in there in the particular fields.

Any thoughts/suggestions for changes, style preferences, or whatever?

MNC Dover on
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
      Amazon keeps giving me the suggestion of the Conan game and it's expansions. YouTube and Boardgame have really basic reviews {I don't know Old world Spanish very well so youtube keeps giving me deeper plays of people in Spain}

I think it can be played solo? or with two people?

• Options
      DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      As promised, here are some of my initial concepts for my card designs. These are for the Ship cards, which act as Minions/Creatures from Hearthstone/MtG.

Hearthstone style:
      94hnegekdt5p.jpg

MtG style:
      btx83lageg3i.jpg

Please note that the text for Cost, Pilots, Atk, and Shields is just there for clarity and will be icons in the final version. The other text, such as the name, type, and effects will be in there in the particular fields.

Any thoughts/suggestions for changes, style preferences, or whatever?

Maybe colorcode the type of ships (light, medium, heavy) or use color like star realms does and distinguish between "families" of ships?
      And have an Icon for damage and heal affects?

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
      I like the placement of costs / stuff in the first choice, specifically the upper-left portion of the card. The upper-left corner is pretty important given the way we fan out our card hand. Can't make any comments on the other bits, though.

• Options
      Yeah, due to the way most people fan cards, the most important at-a-glance info (name, play cost) should be along either the top edge or left edge. Don't hide the card name in the center.

Maybe check MTG's "future shifted" card frames as well, for another idea. (Those were a subset of the cards in the Future Sight set)

Personally, I prefer "full bleed" art, though I imagine that may impose a production cost.

P.S. the artwork for your MTG style card is better ;P

• Options
      JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
      Fry wrote: »
      Personally, I prefer "full bleed" art, though I imagine that may impose a production cost.
      No, I don't think so. The problems with a full bleed are drift and marking.

For the first, printers will provide a tolerance on their equipment, promising that the cut of the card will be close to what is intended, but not exactly. This means that details right at the edge of a card have a chance to be lost, so important information needs to be a small distance from the edge just in case. If the bleed is purely aesthetic this is usually not a big deal.

The second has to do with card wear. An inked surface displays the typical nicks that happen during play much more quickly and obviously than an un-inked one. Also, art that bleeds to the edge tends to be visible on the side of the deck, which can make imperfections more obvious. This is why traditional bridge and poker decks have a white border around the edge.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    • Options
      Brainleech wrote: »
      Amazon keeps giving me the suggestion of the Conan game and it's expansions. YouTube and Boardgame have really basic reviews {I don't know Old world Spanish very well so youtube keeps giving me deeper plays of people in Spain}

I think it can be played solo? or with two people?

Do you mean the CONAN game from Monolith ? Yes, I guess it can be solo-ed, in the sense that you can find a way to Solo play anything. Can it be solo-ed well ? No, the game runs via the GM vs. the Hero Players model, with a fair amount of information hidden from the players.

Two people would work, altho I'd suggest that the Hero player run more than one character.

• Options
      Thanks for the feedback so far. Please keep it coming. I’ve got a color scheme laid out for shops (BYR for LMH respectively) and for the building and R&D cards.

Figure I’ll go with a generic backdrop for all the cards with a coloring shade for card type. I’m very wary of losing to cutting/bleeding so I’ll push UI stuff away from the edges.

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
      Re: card layout design - You could also split the difference and have the costs and name at the top, type and combat stats on the bottom, to borrow a bit of the card design from Dominion. e.g.:
      xlx26o6o3fw5.png

4463rwiq7r47.png
    • Options
      MrBlarney wrote: »
      Re: card layout design - You could also split the difference and have the costs and name at the top, type and combat stats on the bottom, to borrow a bit of the card design from Dominion. e.g.:
      xlx26o6o3fw5.png

Nice design. I'm thinking about moving the costs horizontally to the left and the card name to the right. That keeps the cost in the upper left without eschewing the artwork space. Undecided on having the type area in the middle or bottom. Both could work out, but having it on the bottom creates some nice filler space between the attack and shield values.

Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
      edited March 2019
      MrBlarney wrote: »
      xlx26o6o3fw5.png

Nice design. I'm thinking about moving the costs horizontally to the left and the card name to the right. That keeps the cost in the upper left without eschewing the artwork space. Undecided on having the type area in the middle or bottom. Both could work out, but having it on the bottom creates some nice filler space between the attack and shield values.

Having horizontally-aligned cost icons has a potential downside in that if new resources are added, then the alignment of the card name will need to get shifted around. That is, unless the name is right-justified to the upper-right corner, which is kind of awkward. For horizontally-aligned cost icons, Magic: the Gathering's traditional layout of name and costs works fine. As another reference for vertical cost icons, 7 Wonders has its resource icons in a vertical ribbon in the upper-left, but it's also got the card name running up the left side as an unconventional choice. (Definitely works for that size and dimension of card, though.)

As for where to put card typing, I prefer it on the bottom of the card. If card type is important for both players to keep track of, putting it on the bottom of each card makes it easy to splay a hand out to see what's there. While the top and left sides are the places to put the most important information (as noted by Fry), I'd say that the bottom edge makes for the next priority location. Since you're already thinking of putting attack and shield scores on that edge, putting the card type on the bottom makes for less places for the player to look for their quick scans. (EDIT: You could also put the card types directly underneath the card name, as another option.)

Of course, this is pretty small peanuts in the grand scheme of game design. While it's worth thinking about layout at this point, it's not worth obsessing over it while so much about the game can still change.

MrBlarney on
      4463rwiq7r47.png
    • Options
      BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
      I revisited two very different games recently!

My favorite part of New Bedford is how the game kind of lulls you into the gamification of how the whaling industry built the city into what it is. You get excited about good hauls and getting your worker placement engine up and running. Then about halfway through the game, inevitably, someone draws the tiles to see what the possible catch is for the round and, like, half of the tiles are empty water (caught whales are removed from the bag for scoring, and tokens that give you nothing are returned, to simulate overharvesting). Then everyone kind of pauses and goes "...oh." It's a great and sobering little moment.

My favorite part of DOOM (2016) is how, not matter what role you're playing, when it's your turn you keep going "are you sure I'm allowed to do this? Because it feels like bullshit" and whenever it's the other team's turn you go "Are you sure they're allowed to do that? because it feels like bullshit." Everyone feels incredibly overpowered.

That is, at least, with the right number of players. The balance of the game goes a bit wonky unless you have the proper number of Marines. I guess making so many ridiculously powerful abilities so freely available to the players makes that a difficult-to-avoid consequence.

I really, really wish that one could have gotten an expansion.

• Options
      Played great western trail today and destroyed everyone. 27 to 44 to 51 to 75 or thereabouts. I went building into cows into a lucky early 6 movement and then raced through the trail several times with railroads and stations for recurring ribbons. A lucky draw on the final turn let me get 11+4 ribbons + 3 recurring ribbons for the final city. 4 goals, 3 trumpets for 12 points, $35, and like 20 city points.

I never had more than 2 employees, not counting station managers and starting employees!

sig.gif
    • Options
      DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      I played flash point withy 7 year old yesterday.
      He wanted to play agricola but we didn't have the 1.5 hours required for setup and play.
      Flashpoint took 20-30 minutes.
      It was fun though 4 nameless people eventually died in the collapse of the house.

Afterwards he was still pretty bummed out that he didn't get to play agricola. Kids.....

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
      I played flash point withy 7 year old yesterday.
      He wanted to play agricola but we didn't have the 1.5 hours required for setup and play.
      Flashpoint took 20-30 minutes.
      It was fun though 4 nameless people eventually died in the collapse of the house.

Afterwards he was still pretty bummed out that he didn't get to play agricola. Kids.....

Ha! Sounds like my 7-year-old. And it's funny, that happened to me a while back with him and Agricola, though I really isn't in the mood for a longer game. So I set it up with the "family rules" (so no cards), gave each player 3 disks instead of 2, and then skipped rounds 1-3 (but left the cards face up, natch). At this age I often shorten games, for my own sanity.

"Daddy, let's play this game! It's called... umm... Twilight Struggle."

"Okay, uhhh... this is a memory game! Let's put some cards face down... you're looking for cards with the same number in the corner."

"Daddy, this game is easy!"

When I was a child, I had a fever...
      jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
      My BoardGameGeek profile
      Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    This discussion has been closed.