As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[NSFW] Sublimus' Sketch Dumps

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    ASK, AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE

(Did this at lunch before I saw your comment, but it works, so hey.)

doodle_060.png

They've been all bipedal so far because they are actually all part of the same project. I've basically given myself a design brief of "FPS Enemy, Humanoid Alien, No Guns". And also experimenting with process at the same time. Once I get one I like, I'm gonna do it up in ZBrush.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Hah, nice! Zbrush's interface still gives me nightmares, but your aliens are well suited for sculpting. Are you planning to do a refined turnaround of whatever you pick?

I like the spider, he's suitably spidery.

Yeah, ZBrush is kind of a nightmare. I have an expert in the office though, so that will help! May or may not do a turn around, not sure. Their kind of boring, but if I think I have to I will haha.

Here are some crazy colors! Probably too over the top, but it was fun.

doodle_061.png

doodle_062.png

two more aliens, and a photobash head. I'm going to do some headdress designs on top of it.

doodle_063.png

doodle_065.png

doodle_064.png

I suggest moving out of painting in symmetry after you hit a certain point with rendering, for human faces at least. Faces are more imperfect and uneven than we perceive, so the perfection creates uncanny feelings when you look at it.

@Iruka You know, i don't really see it, but others have said it too, so I'll just paint on top a bit to break it up.

Messed around with ZBrush and modo in-between overwatching today. much to learn here.

sculpt001_modo.png

An easy exercise is to take a picture of your own face (or take any picture of a person that's normally recognizable to you) that's as straight on as possible and mirror the sides. Some people have fairly symmetrical faces, but you'll usually always get an odd variation between the two mirrored versions of their face, and the original.

Female celebrity photos with their faces all blown out are probably the place where you'll see the least variation. I personally think symmetry in faces makes them a bit stiff.

But! My laziness!!! :P

Well I didn't want to necro post this thread, but the doodle thread was moving too slow!

Threw this together by bashing together a few sketches I had done. Just trying to upgrade my portfolio real quick before I head to the Schoolism workshop in Seattle this weekend!

Baseline_Gun.png

edited March 2018
    Trying to learn composition better. :( Lots of growing pains there.

Some recent WIP stuff!

doodle_005.png

doodle_007_a.png

doodle_008_a.png

Sublimus on
  • gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    I feel like the squid guy would benefit from a background. There's not a lot going on with the shadow side, and since our value scale is just him, he doesn't fade into the wall the way a good brooding, non-copyright infringing squid person who enjoys eating dark elf brains should.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
    @gavindel Thanks! Yeah, the plan is to imply a cave/tunnel type thing.... I think I'll have to do some little thumbnail sketches to figure out an interesting value composition.

Figured this is too much for the doodle thread. So here is a mini sketch dump. Supposed to be a post apocalyptic high fantasy mash up.

Sketch_01.png

Sketch_02.png

Sketch_03.png

Sketch_04.png

Sketch_05.png

Sketch_06.png

Some more recent sketches.

Sketch_07.png

Sketch_08.png

Sketch_09.png

Sketch_10.png

Sketch_11.png

Sketch_12.png

edited September 2018
    Some stuff I've been putting together as I try to prepare for the Massive Black workshop later this month.

Baseline_RifleColor.png

Port_Orcheads1.png

PAF_Lineup01.png

Sublimus on
    edited February 2019
    The spam will continue until the workshop takes place.

Port_AlienAlchemy.png

Gonna ZBrush one of these, then render it real nice, and paint on top. Any favorites?

Sublimus on
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    @acadia Thanks!! Those definitely seem to be the ones with the most heat! (leaning towards 12 myself)

Some flat values
    PAF_Lineup.png

Started sculpting.

PB_AH_WIP_01.png

• SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    that axe dude needs to stop with the sass

@SeveredHead lol I've actually had a lot of people tell me his pose if not quite working... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Couple more orc heads. Got some good feedback and want to draw another row, but have to set these down for now.

Port_Orcheads2.png

i think hes just missing some trap muscles, big dudes with little necks gotta have batista sized traps

@SeveredHead Yeah you're right. Not sure If I'm gonna go back into that piece or not, we'll see!

Here are some recent sketches from the bar. Someone asked if they could have one of them last night, with was flattering I guess.

On the ones missing feet. I know it looks like I had room, but I ran out of paper IRL.

Sketch_13.png

Sketch_14.png

Sketch_15.png

Sketch_16.png

Sketch_17.png

Some Bug mech sketches, and a some album art for a friend of mine.

InsectMech.png

DeathAdder01.png

DeathAdder02.png

DeathAdder03.png

• barcsbarcs ireland Registered User regular
    some great concept sketches in here! some of those enviroment thumbnails are wonderful!

@barcs Thanks!! I need to update this thread....I've been lazy about that..

This weekend I promise haha. If not @Iruka can ban me for a week or something.

My bullshit, as promised.

doodle_050.png

100_COBV_002a.png

Alien_001.png

Alien_render003.png

Astro_Taurus1.png

Demon_Race1.png

doodle_001.png

EvilPaladin1.png

Orc_Lineup1.png

QuarterWolf1.png

• acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    That orc guy standing on the rocks in the spotlight looks like he's about to bust out a sick monologue

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    acadia wrote: »
    That orc guy standing on the rocks in the spotlight looks like he's about to bust out a sick monologue

To be or not to be...

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    this thread is getting good, maybe too good... makin' us all the other threads look like grannies over here

edited February 2019
    @acadia Haha yeah! In my head, he was giving a rousing speech to his evil army. :P
    @SeveredHead Aw thanks! haha

Did another pass on these old alien heads. And did a color pass on some old characters! (Trying to go back to old work less, after these.)

Port_AlienAlchemy2.png

Port_PAF_Color.png

Sort of making a fake game in my head about dwarfs, so I'll be making assets for that for a while probably.

DwarvenWeapons01.png

DwarvenBust.png

DwarvenCrown01.png

EDIT: plus this thing.... Trying to color more, and get less terrible at it.

Demon_Race_Color.png

Sublimus on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    those demons are rad as fuck

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    damn it, see, calm down with this rad ass shit. but srly those hands are great, overlong and bulky but not too much like a creature, thats a tough balance to hit.. cause you dont want a demon dude with human looking hands, but if you go to far on the beast side then i mean he cant pick stuff up

@bowen @SeveredHead Thanks so much!! I lose faith in my shit while I'm making it, so it's always nice to hear other people still like it haha.

Not a ton of work, because I was in Seattle for a week.

Getting a little deeper into ZBrush. Here is my first test using subtools, so I can render different materials

SubTool_RenderTest.png

A March of Robots sketch that I decided was prime for some 3D. This is my first ever serious ZBrush sculpt. Got the Volumes blocked in, now to split it up into a hundred sub tools and refine!!

MarchBot_Sketch.png

MarchBot_Render01.png

Also I've been spamming the photo thread, so feel free to check that out too haha.

Back on the Moria shit.

First pass on a logo. Needs more work, but it's fine as a temp thing.
    Moria_Logo_01.png

Second pass on the crowns.
    DwarvenCrown02.png

A test render/sculpt
    Sculpt_005.png

WIP Base sculpt to draw/bash costume concepts on
    Moria_BaseSculpt_01.png

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I don't think the leg on the R fits with the vibe of the logo but otherwise I like the logo.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    @Doodmann Thanks! I'll take a look at maybe shortening it, but it's otherwise pretty in line with the LOTR logo
    lightbox_99960_1456795722.jpg

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    Sublimus wrote: »
    @Doodmann Thanks! I'll take a look at maybe shortening it, but it's otherwise pretty in line with the LOTR logo
    lightbox_99960_1456795722.jpg

Fair, but the lotr is more of a general high fantasy type logo where this should probably look more dwarven?

As it stands it looks more general adventure type or even a little bit of a pirate vibe.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
    The current goal is to just straight rip the logo style so it's an instant association. :P

But! Like I said, this is just first pass/temp. So I may play with a more dwarven treatment when I muck with it again!