As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hearthstone] Reveal stream live now! Expansion drops April 9th!

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    I think she has a shot of seeing play, but if she doesn't it's basically because she just isn't very focused. We're not really in an era anymore where priest decks are just filled with a bunch of generic value cards that replace themselves. Like sure she's basically above curve but...

liEt3nH.png
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    It's certainly playable as long as we have control style priest decks that rarely have any minions worth running under 4 mana

PSN SeGaTai
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    She's like a more reliable Curious Glimmerroot for -1 health. With Glimmer, sometimes the card you knew was in their deck was terrible for you if not outright unplayable like Deadly Poison. With Lazul you'll actually be able to pick the most useful of the 3 cards. Glimmer saw a fair amount of play before crazier and crazier Priest decks invalidated it. In the presumably weaker meta of Year of the Dragon, it seems like a pretty playable Priest card.

I think what's more in question is whether or not Priest will be any good without all the crazy Mammoth shit they're losing. Mass Hysteria will be Priest's number one survival tool now, but it remains to be seen if they'll get enough other support.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    She's like a more reliable Curious Glimmerroot for -1 health. With Glimmer, sometimes the card you knew was in their deck was terrible for you if not outright unplayable like Deadly Poison. With Lazul you'll actually be able to pick the most useful of the 3 cards. Glimmer saw a fair amount of play before crazier and crazier Priest decks invalidated it. In the presumably weaker meta of Year of the Dragon, it seems like a pretty playable Priest card.

I think what's more in question is whether or not Priest will be any good without all the crazy Mammoth shit they're losing. Mass Hysteria will be Priest's number one survival tool now, but it remains to be seen if they'll get enough other support.

Yea card's good. Like the knowledge is 10-15% of the benefit, just get a good card (and if they're all bad you get to laugh)

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I think it's not great, but post rotation will be a lower power meta and it'll have a place there. As we get more expacs it'll get forced out by stronger things.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    Ilpala wrote: »

Yea card's good. Like the knowledge is 10-15% of the benefit, just get a good card (and if they're all bad you get to laugh)

This made me lol.

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    It's good but it should be an epic and is a great example of dust inflation.

• IlpalaIlpala Just this guy, y'know TexasRegistered User regular
    I can agree with that, given the obvious comparison. The only possible argument I could see for legendary status is balance reasons. Where Glimmerroot had a much greater number of cards to discover from if you played two of these back to back you could much more easily get the same thing which in some scenarios would be backbreaking.

FF XIV - Qih'to Furishu (on Siren), Battle.Net - Ilpala#1975
    Switch - SW-7373-3669-3011
    Fuck Joe Manchin
  • RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular
    I'd like to talk a moment about schemes. When I saw them revealed my reaction was basically this, "That's fine. Not particularly exciting, but serviceable as a mechanic. I'm not sure how it's on theme, but that's a minor nitpick."

Thinking about it a bit more, one of the areas that's lacking this game is sense of inter-connectivity between mechanics, theme, and overall design. Where is the sense of wonder? When I look at the schemes they have serious issues with card draw order (though that is probably one of the fairest areas for RNG to manifest), but no way to interact with them. Where are the cards that reward you for playing schemes? Are there cards that augment schemes, maybe cards that can help us filter our card draw so we can draw them sooner or later? Without anyway to control your draw order - schemes are just more draw dependent spells in a game where draw dependency is already a big part of it.

That said Schemes do reward you for long-term strategic planning, forcing you to weigh the benefit of playing it on curve or early at the cost of future rewards. While that's a neat little optimization, I'd like to see more interactions with these cards. It'd be nice if there was a broader plans where schemes fit in, beyond just in-game power. There's some really interesting design space here, because keeping track of the order you draw cards is very difficult for physical games to track.

Yilias wrote: »
    I think it's not great, but post rotation will be a lower power meta and it'll have a place there. As we get more expacs it'll get forced out by stronger things.
    Yeah, she's not amazing or a game changer or a build around, of course. She's just generically decent and unexciting. She's kind of like Bloodmage Thalnos. He's not a mandatory card in the decks that run him, but he's a cheap crappy body that replaces himself and sometimes has an upside, and he makes the deck slightly better than a budget substitute would.

I feel like some Priest decks will include her just to get something on board in the early game without having to give up a card, and occasionally she'll have a pretty nice upside because you'll get something crazy like a Floop, Shirvallah, or Zul'jin.

It's kind of funny because 2 years ago, a good priest card was a 5 mana 5/6 that gave you a (usually decent to amazing) card of your oppponent's, and you got to play 2 or more of them. Now you have to spend 1600 dust for a single 3 mana 3/2 with a similar outcome.

And yes, I know Lazul doesn't require building a deck with tribal synergy. The thought still amuses me.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Roz wrote: »
    I'd like to talk a moment about schemes. When I saw them revealed my reaction was basically this, "That's fine. Not particularly exciting, but serviceable as a mechanic. I'm not sure how it's on theme, but that's a minor nitpick."

Thinking about it a bit more, one of the areas that's lacking this game is sense of inter-connectivity between mechanics, theme, and overall design. Where is the sense of wonder? When I look at the schemes they have serious issues with card draw order (though that is probably one of the fairest areas for RNG to manifest), but no way to interact with them. Where are the cards that reward you for playing schemes? Are there cards that augment schemes, maybe cards that can help us filter our card draw so we can draw them sooner or later? Without anyway to control your draw order - schemes are just more draw dependent spells in a game where draw dependency is already a big part of it.

That said Schemes do reward you for long-term strategic planning, forcing you to weigh the benefit of playing it on curve or early at the cost of future rewards. While that's a neat little optimization, I'd like to see more interactions with these cards. It'd be nice if there was a broader plans where schemes fit in, beyond just in-game power. There's some really interesting design space here, because keeping track of the order you draw cards is very difficult for physical games to track.

Maybe one of the Hero classes this expansion (Mage, Hunter, Paladin, Druid) will get a "Spy" minion that steals a random Scheme.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    It's kind of funny because 2 years ago, a good priest card was a 5 mana 5/6 that gave you a (usually decent to amazing) card of your oppponent's, and you got to play 2 or more of them. Now you have to spend 1600 dust for a single 3 mana 3/2 with a similar outcome.

And yes, I know Lazul doesn't require building a deck with tribal synergy. The thought still amuses me.

"Good priest card..."

A card so bonkers power creeped that it brought priest from seeing zero play and made dragon priest a thing regardless of the other cards

PSN SeGaTai
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    it was pretty good yeah

liEt3nH.png
    In the mirror match, 9/10 times the best card to pull off secret agent was another secret agent

PSN SeGaTai
    Updated thread title to reflect reveal stream date and time. And that should be 10am PST and it is blocked out for 2 hours.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Put PST on the title plz :P

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    MMMig wrote: »
    Put PST on the title plz :P

It does silly!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    looks like right now i have about 400 gold going into the new expansion, since i skipped the last 4 months of playing

also looks like there are still big priest vs. renolock fights to be had at wild rank 23...

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Still climbing with Rush Warrior. Hit rank 9 last night. 66-36 record. Only insta-loss match-up is wall priest. Can I hit rank 5 before the season ends?

We'll find out I guess!

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    3bfXebH.jpg

brawl pack. noice.

went with disco lock (soulfire, darkshire librarian, zavas, silverware golem). opponent was running some janky slow jade shaman (jade lightning/murmuring elemental/jade spirit/murkspark eel) so i banned eel because the other cards were too slow for him to do anything. he banned out zavas so that meant shotgunning free 3/3's onto the board smile

also, today's achievement:

sYV5lIb.jpg

:-)

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    edited March 2019
    Man, Thijs absolutely tore up a climb to Legend in Wild using a ridiculously greedy (and expensive) Astral Communion Druid deck. It was actually pretty amazing to watch in action.

forty on
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    Man, Thijs absolutely tore up a climb to Legend in Wild using a ridiculously greedy (and expensive) Astral Communion Druid deck. It was actually pretty amazing to watch in action.

list??

my astral druid list needs updates badly, and google shows me his 2016 list...

Lucedes wrote: »

list??

my astral druid list needs updates badly, and google shows me his 2016 list...
    I can't find it. :( It might have been something he just put together.

I found it in the VOD.

Skip to 53:20 if the timestamp doesn't work. I don't know if there's a deck code but you can see it in the deck creator.

Dibby wrote: »
    3bfXebH.jpg

brawl pack. noice.

went with disco lock (soulfire, darkshire librarian, zavas, silverware golem). opponent was running some janky slow jade shaman (jade lightning/murmuring elemental/jade spirit/murkspark eel) so i banned eel because the other cards were too slow for him to do anything. he banned out zavas so that meant shotgunning free 3/3's onto the board smile

also, today's achievement:

sYV5lIb.jpg

:-)

Nice! Time for a Cho Show!

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    80g Friend Challenge available

Bnet is same as here #1175

Dover is fast

ObiFett on
  • InqInq Registered User regular
    I've been rather enjoying this week's brawl. As much as people fear that brawls will degenerate in to 1-2 abusive decks, I don't generally see it. There's almost always a decent number of experimenters around. And particularly in a 3-card deck brawl, you can probably figure out who's going to win pretty fast and just resign if you don't have a chance and jump into the next game.

Anyway, current fun brawl deck:
    Jade Swarmer
    Jade Shuriken
    Undercity Huckster
    Unearthed Raptor

I'm not even sure what the right ban is. Most people ban Shuriken, which certainly reduces me to just bashing minions together, but Swarmer + Raptor produce a lot of jades. Banning Swarmer eliminates more jades, but the value from Huckster + Raptor will keep your hand full -- sometimes even with useful cards.

At a minimum, this brawl has been great for questing this week.

• ArcsurvivorArcsurvivor CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I have been doing Arena recently and there are so many control late game warrior/warlock decks. They got taunt, warpath/spell board clears, or lots of big drops.
    Looking forward to the change back to wild arena.

Arcsurvivor on
    Hearthstone: (Wild and Arena)
    Currently Playing on Steam - Journey down Ch 3/ Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Inq wrote: »
    I've been rather enjoying this week's brawl. As much as people fear that brawls will degenerate in to 1-2 abusive decks, I don't generally see it. There's almost always a decent number of experimenters around. And particularly in a 3-card deck brawl, you can probably figure out who's going to win pretty fast and just resign if you don't have a chance and jump into the next game.

Well yes, you do enter into the experimenter's region pretty fast when you sink your MMR by resigning against every serious deck.

Its an area where I tend to hang out and its obvious whenever I push past it into the "real" matches.

• JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    The tavern brawl is matched by MMR?

404 not found
    Finally ran into some tough losses at rank 12...

But then streaked to 9.
    Quest Druid is alive and strong!!

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Jimbo wrote: »
    The tavern brawl is matched by MMR?

Yea both tavern brawl and casual still have an mmr ranking so you get matched against equally skilled players.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    MMMig wrote: »
    Quest Druid is alive and strong!!

Don't tell lies on the internet.

• ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Meanwhile, Toast has achieved maximum Hearthstone RNG.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GrotesqueArbitraryGullPupper

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »

How To Make Your Opponent Uninstall

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular

"grotesque" is right, that was downright fucking disgusting

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote: »

"grotesque" is right, that was downright fucking disgusting

And "Arbitrary" too, since Yogg was involved.

Also, since "Gull" can mean to trick or cheat someone, that seems appropriate too.

"Pupper" is the only word that seems out of place.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    "This deck is free to play if you have all the cards." -Thijs

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Yilias wrote: »
    "This deck is free to play if you have all the cards." -Thijs

1f914.png