As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sekiro] - Forumers Die Alot (Free DLC in October 2020)

KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas.Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
edited July 2020 in Games and Technology
zffaheb2o2uf.png
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Developer: FromSoftware
Platform: PC, PS4, XBO
Genre: Single Player, Souls-Like, Action-Adventure
Out Now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3r0MY0RlTU

Ripped from Wiki:
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is an action-adventure game played from a third-person view. Compared to FromSoftware's Souls series, the game features fewer role-playing elements, lacking character creation and the ability to level up a variety of stats, as well as having no multiplayer elements. It does, however, include gear upgrading, a skill tree, and limited ability customization. Rather than attacking to whittle an enemy's health points, combat in Sekiro revolves around using a katana to attack their poise and balance instead, which eventually leads to an opening that allows for a single killing blow. The game also features stealth elements, allowing players to immediately eliminate enemies if they can get in range undetected. In addition, the player character has the ability to use various tools to assist with combat and exploration, such as a grappling hook and a torch. If the player character dies, they have the option of being revived on the spot under certain conditions instead of respawning at earlier checkpoints.

Per Echo's executive order, I figured I would make a new thread to get us started. I've only put 5-6 hours into the game but I love it.

KoopahTroopah on

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I got past the bull last night and holy carp does the game open up after that!

I explored the starting area and killed a spooky boi, but now all my divine confetti is gone and I'm pretty sure there's more bosses in this haunted place.

NPC storyline spoiler
    Did anyone lure the guy to his death in the haunted dungeon? I decided not to, but found him wandering in there anyways. I'm gonna see if I can stop him from dying, but this is a From game so I'm not hopeful.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    The toughest fight so far for me was the Purple Ninja. That's not even a miniboss! But he was just so damn fast and hurt so badly.

The reward he was protecting though...
    The Mist Raven prosthetic? Holy shit this thing is awesome. And it has a Fang and Blade attack that makes it even better. It doesn't even use any emblems unless someone activates it so you can safely spam it to get out of trouble.

• ChanceChance Registered User regular
    The toughest fight so far for me was the Purple Ninja. That's not even a miniboss! But he was just so damn fast and hurt so badly.

The Mist Raven prosthetic? Holy shit this thing is awesome. And it has a Fang and Blade attack that makes it even better. It doesn't even use any emblems unless someone activates it so you can safely spam it to get out of trouble.

Purple Ninja was an awesome surprise to me. I was hunting for what he was guarding and just set off down the path not knowing what was waiting for me. Our battle was legendary!

Also beat the bull last night. A bunch of folks here and in other forums were saying the trick is just to always be sprinting around, but I found he was still whackin' me, so I just kinda' gathered my wits, waited for him to charge me and clang! - deflected it lol. The Bull rears back like "whoahhhh didn't see that comin'!"

Ugh this game feels so good to play once it clicks.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Well, that snake scared the ever loving piss out of me.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I'm down to just a handful of ghosts and one boss before the final area I think. Think I managed to kill all the treasure fish too, at least got all the carp scale items now.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Goddamn monkeys.

I got past the bull last night and holy carp does the game open up after that!

I explored the starting area and killed a spooky boi, but now all my divine confetti is gone and I'm pretty sure there's more bosses in this haunted place.

NPC storyline spoiler
    Did anyone lure the guy to his death in the haunted dungeon? I decided not to, but found him wandering in there anyways. I'm gonna see if I can stop him from dying, but this is a From game so I'm not hopeful.

NPC storyline spoiler reply
    I sent him down and that makes him directly get grabbed by the... questionable doctor fellow. Later when you can swim underwater you can get into the surgery room, but I've only been in there once so far and don't know where the storyline goes from there.

I am worried the guy fits the description for the guy the info broker asked me to find--someone big and tough to go scavenge weapons from the battlefield. I don't think he actually does since he seemed to be an 'enemy', just a dull-witted/yokai charmed one.

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I haven't bothered with fighting any apparitions.

Also, really enjoy drinking sake with my allies and getting some story time.

Mibu Village Spoilers:
    Oh, I see, maybe I shouldn't be drinking this monkey booze...

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Chance wrote: »

Purple Ninja was an awesome surprise to me. I was hunting for what he was guarding and just set off down the path not knowing what was waiting for me. Our battle was legendary!

Also beat the bull last night. A bunch of folks here and in other forums were saying the trick is just to always be sprinting around, but I found he was still whackin' me, so I just kinda' gathered my wits, waited for him to charge me and clang! - deflected it lol. The Bull rears back like "whoahhhh didn't see that comin'!"

I'm at the bull now. The boss before that I managed to take down the first try, and then, feeling like a badass, I proceeded to get stomped into the dirt by the bull multiple times. Gonna have to try deflecting him.

• SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Can someone (perhaps in spoilers if need be) talk me through proper usage of the consumable items? Ie: the various candies, coin purses, etc? I'm scared to use anything for fear of wastage.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    So I'm still in the beginning of the game. I killed
    chained Ogre
    and there's another miniboss behind him. The other route open to me right now is
    Hirata Estate in the past
    . Am I missing anything? I feel like people keep talking about having 7 routes to explore and I super don't.

edited March 2019
    SniperGuy wrote: »

I'm at the bull now. The boss before that I managed to take down the first try, and then, feeling like a badass, I proceeded to get stomped into the dirt by the bull multiple times. Gonna have to try deflecting him.

Guard/deflect - none of his stuff is unblockable that I found, but if you don't nail the deflect and guard it instead, you'll take a big posture hit. Still, better than an HP hit imo.

Also the firecrackers are terribly useful, but it was really hard to get the distance and timing on him, for me.

Chance on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    @3clipse

It doesn't open up until after the boss boss and a miniboss beyond the
    chained ogre
    . Until then you have those two options.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Coin purses are for keeping money when you die.

It's it's like the breakable souls in the Souls games.

That's also why you can buy them. You have 1000 gold in your pocket and you're afraid to lose it by dying? Buy 2 large gold bags. Now that money is safe.

The candies just do what they say. They give you a short buff of whatever kind is in the description. Treat them like consumables in any other game. Use them if you like them or just sell them if you prefer money.

I wish I had learned much sooner that you should just be using Balloons of Wealth/Spirit whenever you find them. The Candies are much more of a "I know I'm walking into a serious fight and I want things to start off better"; it's rare that I feel like I have the space to pop more candy mid-battle.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I've been selling all my candies, I haven't had a use for them. I keep my balloons though, just in case I need to farm something by increasing the drop rates. I should make note of where the merchants are though, I've only run into two so far.

Aumni wrote: »
    @3clipse

chained ogre

Yeah we're still in the village, 3clipse - we haven't even gotten to Hyrule Field yet ^.^

Why would you want to use the balloons of wealth as soon as you find them?

It seems like you wouldn't want to just be stockpiling money unless you intend to buy something right away.

Am I missing something?

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

Hold dodge down and run a LOT. Get in there when he's trying to steer (GET IT?!). If you can get near his hind legs when he's not moving try and see if you can bait into his head thrash. It's probably better to avoid deflecting because he'll still move you all over the place. But otherwise I just kept B held down the entire time and ran in for a few hits, then ran out. Was very manageable, deflecting never worked well for me.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    Why would you want to use the balloons of wealth as soon as you find them?

It seems like you wouldn't want to just be stockpiling money unless you intend to buy something right away.

Am I missing something?

Correct. Use them when you want to grind some money.

What I'm saying is: be proactive about usage of those items. If you're concerned about accumulation because you expect to throw yourself at a boss, use your best judgment, but don't disregard purchasing coin purses to preserve your wealth.

Ultimately, there is a lot of very costly stuff (like upgrading your prosthetic), and I would rather not take time to literally "grind" a zone.

metaghost wrote: »
    What I'm saying is: be proactive about usage of those items. If you're concerned about accumulation because you expect to throw yourself at a boss, use your best judgment, but don't disregard purchasing coin purses to preserve your wealth.

Ultimately, there is a lot of very costly stuff (like upgrading your prosthetic), and I would rather not take time to literally "grind" a zone.

Oh yea, I mean I haven't really run into too much I couldn't buy without using those yet. I have bought all the coin purses from the vendors currently available to me without using a single balloon yet. The only thing available for me to buy currently that I haven't is the 3000sen upgrade at the one merchant. So I could pop one to farm that up, but that leans more to the "wait until you see something you want" idea. I don't really see any benefit to just popping those right away. That's just a risk for no real purpose it seems.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    It seems like a bad idea to sell the candies. They don't fetch very much and you're giving up some really powerful items. The offense and defense buffs make a huge difference against minibosses and bosses, and the stealth buff candy will let you stroll up and get a deathblow on the most troubling enemy in any group

I never use the balloons but I feel like I should

I kinda' love grinding in this game. I'm sure it helped that I only figured out the levelling mechanics after I got to The Drunkard, but his area is just ideal for grinding levels and gold. Last night I decided I wanted the first skill from the Tengu guy's sword school (2 skill points), and I figured buying the Kunai from the vendor just before the chained ogre would get me a new prosthetic tool (it doesn't - $3,000), so I just went to the Drunkard's Buddha idol and wrecked faces about four times, one with a wealth balloon active, and got everything I needed.

In Souls I was always okay with grinding once in a while for souls or items or whatever, but in Sekiro I seriously enjoy it. The combat itself is just way, way more fun than I expected it to be - I love just the act of playing this game - and my reward for a bit of said joy is a really meaningful skill. A whole new combat move or a strong new defensive ability or my health pots get way more effective.

In a Souls game unless you were grinding to buy an item to upgrade your weapon, the reward was always 1 point in Str or Dex or Vit - a pebble on a beach that never really felt like it turned a tide. In Sekiro when you spend your skill points it's like "look out, world, 'cause now I've got a spinny-aroundy attack!"

Yea I have done some grinding and just enjoyed the heck out of it so far. Whenever I'm near a boss and have like half a bar of XP it's always "well I may as well just finish out the bar so I don't lose it!"
    It seems like a bad idea to sell the candies. They don't fetch very much and you're giving up some really powerful items. The offense and defense buffs make a huge difference against minibosses and bosses, and the stealth buff candy will let you stroll up and get a deathblow on the most troubling enemy in any group

I never use the balloons but I feel like I should

I mean, consumables are useful in many games. But people still don't like using them. And they may only fetch like 20sen a pop but when you have a bunch of them that can be enough to exchange for a few bags of gold.

I like the combat enough that I wish there were some kind of arena mode or Bloody Palace kind of thing.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    I thought the memory upgrade would require fighting the boss again, in a sort of 'in your head' kind of thing. I was disappointed I couldn't refight the bosses that I liked outside of a new playthrough.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Hmm. Still trying to decide what combat art I want to shoot for.

Ideally it would be the Shinobi tree ultimate one.

But it costing Emblems makes it less interesting because it's then directly competing with usage of tools.

Hrmmmmmm.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Aumni wrote: »
    @3clipse

chained ogre

Yeah we're still in the village, 3clipse - we haven't even gotten to Hyrule Field yet ^.^

Oh good! I was afraid I was somehow missing a bunch of areas super hard.

Is Ichimonji too slow for bosses?

If not that could be something to try.

I just don't want a skill that's primary use is against regular enemies.

People who have a hard time using consumables should fight their urges! Use consumables! When's the last time you actually needed to save consumables for a fight? Don't give in to neurosis.

Plus, you get tons. I use the attack buff candies all the time, and I still have like 20 in storage.

I've used ichimonji through most boss battles until I got a story-spoiler art. It does require being sure of an opening.

You can continue to use arts that take emblems once run out of the ones on hand. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it starts eating into your reserves since I only noticed late last night.

People who have a hard time using consumables should fight their urges! Use consumables! When's the last time you actually needed to save consumables for a fight? Don't give in to neurosis.

Plus, you get tons. I use the attack buff candies all the time, and I still have like 20 in storage.

Oh no, you see I'm not stockpiling them. That's why I'm selling them.

I just don't enjoy temporary consumable buffs.

Is Ichimonji too slow for bosses?

If not that could be something to try.

I just don't want a skill that's primary use is against regular enemies.

Is that the slow-build overhead power strike? No it's not - I was using it on the bull, at least - but he's only the first boss I've fought since using it. I doubt Lady Butterfly would give me the chance to use it on her, unless I was like standing right where she lands after you knock her out of her air attack with a shuriken.

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    I got past the boss after the chained ogre(are these guys actual bosses? I'm not even sure), and it seemed like a dead end so I went back to the past. The only other route was a shortcut with two poison lizards.

wVEsyIc.png
    The candies are particularly useful for headless since every little thing helps with those jerks.

Qanamil wrote: »
    I've used ichimonji through most boss battles until I got a story-spoiler art. It does require being sure of an opening.

You can continue to use arts that take emblems once run out of the ones on hand. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if it starts eating into your reserves since I only noticed late last night.

Is the story spoiler one good?

I was hoping it would be because I'd certainly like to make that my primary thingy at that point.

cj iwakura wrote: »
    I got past the boss after the chained ogre(are these guys actual bosses? I'm not even sure), and it seemed like a dead end so I went back to the past. The only other route was a shortcut with two poison lizards.

Those are mini-bosses. A real boss will have a blocked off boss arena.

And there's another route that direction you are missing. Where the other save spot is.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Ugh. I'm terribad at this game.

I think I've gone about as far as I can go before killing the horseman boss, killed the ogre, and hurt the snake, accidentally killed the mini-boss after the ogre (He suicided off a cliff while i was running away from him). Got up to the burning area in the memory, but havent pushed the mini-boss big guy yet.

I feel i need to grind some skills, but its kinda slow going. Whats the best place to farm xp and money this early in the game?

Bosses freakin scare me in this game.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

Those are mini-bosses. A real boss will have a blocked off boss arena.

And there's another route that direction you are missing. Where the other save spot is.

Where the apparition is?

wVEsyIc.png