As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plug 'n Play Paradise: The Most 'Mini' Thing About Genesis Mini 2 Is How Many They'll Make

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Just beat bubble bobble with the girlfriend ! I beat it as a kid but using a code. We just went through all 100 levels. We got the bad ending.

I Google it but I'm really confused on how to get the good ending?

Still an amazing co-op game.

• KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    It can't be healthy to play this.
    https://youtu.be/YDepDMiP2GM

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I've never owned one but I have played on one. I couldn't do so for more than about 15 minutes at a time without a headache starting to kick in.

It works, but yeah, let's be charitable and say it's not Nintendo's finest hour.

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I owned a virtual boy. It actually had a really good controller, one of my favorite Nintendo first party controllers.

The only way to play it comfortably was to lie flat on my back and balance it on my face with the stand on my chest. Anything else led to crazy back pain in short order. It was not exactly an ergonomic wonder.

Yeah, the controller was genuinely good. Probably the best thing about it, in hindsight.

It is funny how it uses so many batteries.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    It also gave us the first in the long line of pretty good Mario Tennis games.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    forty wrote: »
    It also gave us the first in the long line of pretty good Mario Tennis games.

There's like twelve games on the system.

This is a broken clock that's right once.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Also Warioland.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I love Virtual Boy dammit! Tennis, Red Alert, Wario Land, and Dragon Hopper. Enjoyed them all!

I did buy it when it was discontinued for $30 at Toys R Us so really no loss there.

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
      As long as we're talking about it here...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
      Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    • homogenizedhomogenized Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »
      I love Virtual Boy dammit! Tennis, Red Alert, Wario Land, and Dragon Hopper. Enjoyed them all!

I did buy it when it was discontinued for $30 at Toys R Us so really no loss there.
      I thought that game didn't make it out before the VB died and the only known prototype is in the hands of a hoarder. Wait, don't tell me it's you?!

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
      I played Virtual Boy at demos at stores only. It was not AT ALL tempting, even to smaller person me who was impressionable to such things. Ugly, painful to look at red graphics, awkward viewing angle, and an unfamiliar, uncomfortable controller that I couldn't even look at to see what I was doing wrong. No thank ya. This is the sort of thing that should be given up on during the prototype stage as a "maybe in 10 years or so" type deal.

• TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
      edited March 2019
      TimFiji wrote: »

I thought that game didn't make it out before the VB died and the only known prototype is in the hands of a hoarder. Wait, don't tell me it's you?!

I got it off ebay years later unless I'm mistaking it for something else

E: yup definitely meant vertical force, but dragon hopper looks pretty amazing if I do say so

TimFiji on
      Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
        Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
      • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
        i've always been curious about the Atlus Jack Frost game, and Wario... but not enough to play

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
        camo_sig2.png
      • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
        I played Virtual Boy at demos at stores only. It was not AT ALL tempting, even to smaller person me who was impressionable to such things. Ugly, painful to look at red graphics, awkward viewing angle, and an unfamiliar, uncomfortable controller that I couldn't even look at to see what I was doing wrong. No thank ya. This is the sort of thing that should be given up on during the prototype stage as a "maybe in 10 years or so" type deal.

I remember when they were rereleased (I assume someone found a warehouse full of the things) a few years later and stores were selling them through for $25. I still wasn't tempted even then. The Virtual Boy is a bad system and Nintendo is right to brush it aside.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
        I was living in Los Angeles in the late 90s, and GameStop/EB/software etc. eventually got rid of all of their Virtual Boy/3DO/Jaguar/32x/and so on junk by sending it all to one store in Santa Monica Place where it got sold at 80% off the lowest marked price. My VB was $6 and most of the games were $2. Water world had never been marked down so it cost a kingly $8. Also picked up a Jaguar CD and a few other things.

The mid 90s were weird but fun, so many companies competing in the video game space.

Yeah, I'd pay $6 for a VB :lol:

The Jag CD probably was pocket change too. I might have a slight jealous now :lol:

Jazz wrote: »
        Yeah, I'd pay $6 for a VB :lol:

The Jag CD probably was pocket change too. I might have a slight jealous now :lol:

The Jaguar CD had two good points.

1) it fit really well on to the base unit. Like, docking it just had a great chunky sound and overall a solid feel to it.

2) it came with a copy of the Tempest 2000 soundtrack.

I think the only games I had were Dragon’s Lair, Space Ace, and Myst. I wanted the Iron Soldier sequel but never got it before I sold the thing.

...I still have the T2K soundtrack anyway. :)

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
        I used to be interested in a Virtual Boy, and I still might be, under the right conditions. Be a nice display piece, if nothing else.

But I'm more disappointed that they never re-released any of their titles for the 3DS as 3D Classics, especially Wario Land.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
        Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
        I used to be interested in a Virtual Boy, and I still might be, under the right conditions. Be a nice display piece, if nothing else.

But I'm more disappointed that they never re-released any of their titles for the 3DS as 3D Classics, especially Wario Land.

I agree with everything, but I agree even more with the second part

camo_sig2.png

I agree with everything, but I agree even more with the second part

Yeah. They could have colorized them and released them.

edited March 2019
        Yeah every single retro youtuber just uploaded their SG reviews simultaneously.

rahkeesh2000 on
        I have my doubts the sg should be worth that much.

edited March 2019
        Shadowfire wrote: »

I remember when they were rereleased (I assume someone found a warehouse full of the things) a few years later and stores were selling them through for $25. I still wasn't tempted even then. The Virtual Boy is a bad system and Nintendo is right to brush it aside.

The guy that created it got shunned at Nintendo. Since he created the GameBoy, it was a really crappy thing for them to do.

Krathoon on
        Gunpei Yokoi, and he practically MADE Nintendo the toy giant and game&watch monster they were before the Famicon/NES. It's possible to assume that Nintendo would have never joined the videogame arena without him around. Then, after videogames were around, he invented the Gameboy.

He did get to make the wonderswan, which was pretty good, but then he died on a traffic accident.

camo_sig2.png
      • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
        Gunpei Yokoi, and he practically MADE Nintendo the toy giant and game&watch monster they were before the Famicon/NES. It's possible to assume that Nintendo would have never joined the videogame arena without him around. Then, after videogames were around, he invented the Gameboy.

He did get to make the wonderswan, which was pretty good, but then he died on a traffic accident.

Also helped pioneer the cross-shaped d-pad and was the producer on Metroid and Kid Icarus.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
        Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
        Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
        Steam ID
        Twitch Page
        Really, there are lots of people at Nintendo that actually make things happen.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
        Krathoon wrote: »

Is it not compatible with the Sega cd and 32x?

RickRude wrote: »

Is it not compatible with the Sega cd and 32x?

It is compatible with Sega cd, but not 32x.

They may make an adapter for 32x.

If only for Kolibri, arguably the finest hummingbird based shooter for the 32X.

Was Knuckles' Chaotix good? I was tempted to collect it.

edited March 2019
        Well if you're collecting for the 32X you should probably have it, but its not particularly great.

I heard that Chaotix was the rushed leftovers from a cancelled Saturn Sonic game, and given how empty the levels are I can believe it.

rahkeesh2000 on
      • fortyforty Registered User regular
        Was Knuckles' Chaotix good? I was tempted to collect it.
        Unfortunately, no. It was an interesting attempt to do something different with a 2-D Sonic game, but the actual execution was a faceplant.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
        I read a review saying that with the promised adaptors it would be compatible with all the pre-Dreamcast Sega consoles.
        It was later edited to say pre-Saturn. No-one loves the Saturn.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
        klemming wrote: »
        I read a review saying that with the promised adaptors it would be compatible with all the pre-Dreamcast Sega consoles.

I find Analogue's PR to over exaggerate a little.

klemming wrote: »

Some of us do.

I really hope they make an adapter for 32x.

Colibri is actually one other name for Humming bird in portuguese.

camo_sig2.png