As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXIV] Job Action trailer out now. So shiny!

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Doobh wrote: »
    Ilpala wrote: »
    I mean I was trying not to come out and say it.

Mostly because Manderville's a good guy.

Post SB spoilers
    he's libertarian as hell, tho

"CAN'T DO CHARITY NANAMO, PEOPLE ARE LAZY AND WONT DO ANYTHING IF YOU GIVE THEM FREE MONEY"

I made a :| face for the rest of the conversation

he has good qualities for sure, but jesus christ that moment has REALLY stuck in my mind
    unless I'm misremembering, he makes clear that he personally doesn't have a problem with it, but he knows the rest of syndicate will revolt unless there's some upswing for them to invest in ala mhigo

keeping the syndicate in check was the whole impetus for nanamo to turn to godbert for advice to begin with, he's basically the only syndicate member with any scruples, now that raubahn is out

admittedly "this one hypercapitalist is good though" is kind of hard to swallow on its face, but the mandervilles are all cartoon characters anyway so whatevs

that's... not what I remember reading at all

he seems happily complicit

maybe I'm the one remembering it wrong then, it's been a while

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Miqo'te
    I remember it as him being harsh on the front end, but also feeling like he was just pushing for a solution that the ruthless members of the Syndicate would accept.

Maybe that's a naive reading, but it's what I took from it.

I mean, I also take from it that the WoL should crush the Syndicate once and for all, but that's how I feel about most of the political headaches in FFXIV.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Rewatching the cutscene, Godbert is speaking his own mind, not about the syndicate.
    For all our protential, we are indolent creatures by nature. If unconditional charity is all we know, then we begin to rely upon it - to expect it.

And then we must consider Ul'dah's own poor downtrodden. Should they hear of you spending the nation's coin-not to improve their lot, but to nurture the distant citizens of Ala Mhigo- it is unlikely they will applaud you generosity.

acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Larlar
    it's an opinion about human nature that I find particularly disgusting

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn
    Re: Gold Saucer, Mandervill
    The character suffers because he's being written by people who think capitalism can be good, but,

He does tell Nanamo that they can't just give Ala Mhigo what they need because both the monitarists and a large part of the general Ul Dah citizenry would be hyper pissed, likely losing her what power she managed to get back from the syndicate because of her popularity.

His solution is basically to get funding to start back up Ala Mhigo's old salt industry, which pre-mad king seems to have been a pretty decent way of life.

He also has said at some point that he was preferentially hiring Ala Mhigans for The Saucer's staff and giving them a fairly cushy job with good pay. When at the time people like Taledgi Adeledgi were exploiting them for slave wages doing exceptionally dangerous work.

I need to watch that scene again, but considering Godbert's disposition in all his other scenes, if he comes off kinda shitty in that one I'm willing to chalk it up to a writing flub.

edit: Went and dug up the quest text for that bit. Yeah it's not a great look and really clashes with every other scene he's in. Including his own charity from before.
    Godbert: My apologies, Your Grace, I have kept you waiting!

Nanamo Ul Namo: No apologies are necessary, Godbert. My request was sudden, and you were kind to make yourself available at such short notice.

Godbert: When my son’s good friend and the sultana herself come calling, there is no more important engagement!

Nanamo Ul Namo: As to the purpose of my visit, I would have your thoughts on how the crown might best aid the refugees residing in Thanalan. You are aware, I am sure, that many of Ala Mhigo’s displaced sons and daughters long to return to their newly liberated homeland. And you are also aware of how they will suffer without shelter and work to sustain them. I would use our nation’s wealth to spare them that suffering. What advice have you for me on the matter of how it might best be distributed?

Godbert: …The unusual circumstances of our meeting, and Your Grace’s choice of companion, would suggest to me a desire for an honest and unvarnished opinion. I shall give you one. My advice to you is: “Stop.” Taxing Ul’dah’s wealth to save Ala Mhigan refugees is a terrible, terrible idea.

Nanamo Ul Namo: You oppose my proposition?

Godbert: Most emphatically. I agree with Your Grace that the refugees must have housing and employment, but what profit is there for Ul’dah in this arrangement?

Nanamo Ul Namo: Profit? After all you have done for Gyr Abania’s displaced, I thought you the very last person to seek to benefit from their misfortune!

Godbert: Forgive me, Your Grace, but you appear to laboring under a misapprehension. It is a fine endeavor to support one’s fellow man. I fear, however, that your stance is one born of pity─your intent is to “save” the refugees, is it not? For all our potential, we are indolent creatures by nature. If unconditional charity is all we know, then we begin to rely upon it─to expect it. And then we must consider Ul’dah’s own poor and downtrodden. Should they hear of you spending the nation’s coin─not to improve their lot, but to nurture the distant citizens of Ala Mhigo─it is unlikely they will applaud your generosity. Surely it is not Your Grace’s intention to foster new resentments, but to spread good will?

Nanamo Ul Namo: Indeed. …Then any support I pledge to the refugees must promote self-sufficiency, whilst also serving the interests of the people of Ul’dah.

Godbert: Exactly so! Such an arrangement will create a far more equitable relationship with the returning Ala Mhigans, even as it generates the revenue required to win the approval of your subjects.

Nanamo Ul Namo: You have given me much to ponder, Master Manderville. I thank you for your candor.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Hyur
    It definitely would have worked better...
    If he'd gone more into the political parts. There are diplomatic implications if Ala Mhigo is rebuilt that way.

It would also be good if he focused on her lack of planning more - simply dig at "and then what's the next step? How do you make them self-sufficient?". The solution reached works well, but yeah it's clumsily written.

Alternatively, there is actual psychological study that people are happier when they feel they are doing something meaningful or productive. Which would have been a good angle to come from - argue if that would make them truly happy compared to standing on their own.

It seems clear overall though that Godbert's idea of charity when he sees a starving man is to hire him. But that scene does a poor job of conveying it to be sure.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Polaritie wrote: »
    If he'd gone more into the political parts. There are diplomatic implications if Ala Mhigo is rebuilt that way.

It would also be good if he focused on her lack of planning more - simply dig at "and then what's the next step? How do you make them self-sufficient?". The solution reached works well, but yeah it's clumsily written.

Alternatively, there is actual psychological study that people are happier when they feel they are doing something meaningful or productive. Which would have been a good angle to come from - argue if that would make them truly happy compared to standing on their own.

It seems clear overall though that Godbert's idea of charity when he sees a starving man is to hire him. But that scene does a poor job of conveying it to be sure.

To me
    the issue he raises where if you give money to the Ala Mihigians then the Ul'Dah natives will cry foul was the most salient point. Why are you giving your money to foreigners instead of using it locally?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Options
    Roegadyn

Yeah, pretty much. Theses are all basically things Nanamo brings up in her conversation with Lolorito too. It's weird that they just had her talk through all that kinda unprompted with him instead of in the Godbert convo.

Also though it's definitely stated somewhere that Godbert was providing aid for the Ala Mighans outside of his employment efforts so idk. Just a real messy conversation.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur

Post SB spoilers

"CAN'T DO CHARITY NANAMO, PEOPLE ARE LAZY AND WONT DO ANYTHING IF YOU GIVE THEM FREE MONEY"

he has good qualities for sure, but jesus christ that moment has REALLY stuck in my mind
    yeah but that was him playing bad cop to the sultanas plan, he wasn't saying "charity makes people weak" he was acting the part of the rest of the council tearing her plan apart because it didn't benefit them

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    So aside from Titan EX, because everyone kept falling off the dang platform, I've done the original 3 primals on all 3 difficulty settings, I've done Odin, Ultima's Bane, and am working on the Crystal Tower. I've also completed all the hard mode level 50 dungeons.

Aside from Binding Coil of Bahamut, is there anything I'm missing from the original 1-50 content? I haven't touched the MSQ yet, and still have "The Price of Principles' as my next main story quest, and I don't really want to touch it until I've caught up on all the release stuff. I've also been spending my tokens to buy Ironworks gear for everyone, as well as some weapons for some of the jobs I'm interested in levelling from 1-50 at least, which should be pretty fast with the helm of light/newcomers ring/aetheryte earing.

I'm also finishing up the delivery moogle and hildibrand quests...I think. They've both been going on for awhile.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Larlar

Post SB spoilers

yeah but that was him playing bad cop to the sultanas plan, he wasn't saying "charity makes people weak" he was acting the part of the rest of the council tearing her plan apart because it didn't benefit them

Godbert wasn't playing bad cop

he's a likeable character, sure

but that doesn't excuse him from having an awful opinion

like, the quoted text is right there

and the attitude is EXCEEDINGLY common irl

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn
    Javen wrote: »
    So aside from Titan EX, because everyone kept falling off the dang platform, I've done the original 3 primals on all 3 difficulty settings, I've done Odin, Ultima's Bane, and am working on the Crystal Tower. I've also completed all the hard mode level 50 dungeons.

Aside from Binding Coil of Bahamut, is there anything I'm missing from the original 1-50 content? I haven't touched the MSQ yet, and still have "The Price of Principles' as my next main story quest, and I don't really want to touch it until I've caught up on all the release stuff. I've also been spending my tokens to buy Ironworks gear for everyone, as well as some weapons for some of the jobs I'm interested in levelling from 1-50 at least, which should be pretty fast with the helm of light/newcomers ring/aetheryte earing.

I'm also finishing up the delivery moogle and hildibrand quests...I think. They've both been going on for awhile.

there are harder versions of some more primals but I honestly don't remember if the first time you fight them in the msq is pre or post 50

edit: have you done any of the optional 4-person dungeons?

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Miqo'te

there are harder versions of some more primals but I honestly don't remember if the first time you fight them in the msq is pre or post 50

Original original? As in you haven't done any of the 2.X story after the credits roll the first time? Then yes, I believe so.

If you've completed all the 2.X content, then you're missing the ex primal fights for the other story primals.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    Hyur

Post SB spoilers

Yeah but that doesn't gel at all with the multiple occassions where Godbert has been shown as doing lots of charity

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    Larlar

Post SB spoilers

Yeah but that doesn't gel at all with the multiple occassions where Godbert has been shown as doing lots of charity
    people can be inconsistent

that is a real human trait

not to mention that philanthropy's got some real problems as a concept

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn

Like what? Hullbreaker Isle and...Siren something? Yeah I did those. Also Ampador City

Javen on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn

Like what? Hullbreaker Isle and...Siren something? Yeah I did those. Also Ampador City

optional level 50 dungeons:
    wanderer's palace
    amdapor keep
    pharos sirius
    copperbell mines hard
    haukke manor hard
    lost city of amdapor (yes, there are two entirely disconnected amdapor dungeons)
    halatali hard
    brayflox's longstop hard
    hullbreaker isle
    stone vigil hard
    tam-tara deepcroft hard
    sastasha hard
    sunken temple of qarn hard
    wanderer's palace hard
    amdapor keep hard (I REALLY HOPE YOU LIKE AMDAPOR)

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    Yeah I did all those

I really liked that the hard mode dungeons aren't just 'the bosses/enemies are stronger, but have different landscapes, sometimes even as a result of your previous excursions into that same place.

Haukke Manor, Halatali and Stone Vigil were really cool to go in again. And the kind of continuity between Sastasha hard mode and Hullbreaker Isle to try and solve the secret of the octo-pirates was pretty cool.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    typing that shit out on mobile really made me realize how much actual content was in arr, for all the complaints about its postgame being a drag

• Options
    Roegadyn
    typing that shit out on mobile really made me realize how much actual content was in arr, for all the complaints about its postgame being a drag

Well on release it WAS a drag; hard modes didn't exist, so it was literally just wanderer's palace and amdapor keep for 4 mans, and binding coil for raids. I'm not sure the rate at which they rolled out all the other stuff, but yeah it's been a lot to do just hanging out at 50

• Options
    Miqo'te

Well on release it WAS a drag; hard modes didn't exist, so it was literally just wanderer's palace and amdapor keep for 4 mans, and binding coil for raids. I'm not sure the rate at which they rolled out all the other stuff, but yeah it's been a lot to do just hanging out at 50

Every 3 months from launch to now has been the patch cycle. it used to be 3 dungeons per patch, it's been 2 more recently. Otherwise, it's been pretty consistent.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Tcheldor wrote: »

Every 3 months from launch to now has been the patch cycle. it used to be 3 dungeons per patch, it's been 2 more recently. Otherwise, it's been pretty consistent.

2.x: 3 dungeons/patch (1 new, 2 HM redesigns)
    3.x: 2 dungeons/patch (1 new, 1 HM redesign)
    4.x: Even: 2 dungeons/patch (1 new, 1 HM redesign)
    Odd: 1 dungeon/patch (new)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Roegadyn
    Haukke Manor was my favorite dungeon set (Normal, Hard) followed by.... Tam-Tara, probably.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Roegadyn
    Haukke rules, that and brayflox are my favorite mid-level dungeons

• Options
    Larlar
    Brayflox is my favorite dungeon for when I'm learning a new class

cut my tanking teeth defending those gobs

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    Roegadyn
    Also brayflox drops one of my favorite caster sets, so I’ve run it a, uh, Few times

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Well the mad men did it, the new Trial requires you to be caught up on the Hildebrand quests.

I imagine the official forums are magical right now.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    How many ‘chapters’ of hildabrand quests are there?

I just started on the lapis lady

• Options
    Roegadyn
    ARR, HW, and SB all have quite a few. ARR had two Trials as part of it. HW didn't have any trials but is quite long and has a lot of cut scenes.

SB Hildebrand by comparison is rather short, in large part because like over half the quests are just you walking from one side of Kugane to the other and talking to somebody.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Roegadyn
    hildy quests are worth doing, as is the level 60 scholasticate questline that has the level 50 hildy stuff as a prerequisite

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Roegadyn
    The Scholasticate stuff is weirdly hard to find.

You have to do the ARR Hildebrand stuff, at least some of the HW Hildebrand stuff (I think), and then the quest to start it is on an NPC who has 3 other side quests you probably didn't do and the map will only show one of his quests at a time, so you're liable to not be able to see it unless you happen to talk to him. And the quest name is pretty generic too.

turtleant on
    X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The "lore" excuse for gender-locked races rings super hollow because not only do they write the lore (and FF14 is it's own setting that has it's own separate lore from the other games), but because they are ignoring their own lore that Eorzea is racist as hell against anything more than 50% furry. Even Miqo'te are still sidelined in places (and you'll be hardpressed to find one in-game that's in charge of anything other than their own small Miqo'te tribe). Yet they're going to have Ronso hopping off the carriage at Ul'dah and joining the Gladiator guild? Ul'dah doesn't even let beast tribe races set foot in the city (though in the Ronso case they'll probably use the same excuse they used for the Mamool Ja in the Blue Mage questline).

So they're going to ignore or write around the lore in one case but not the other?

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Hyur
    Even if they add male Viera, it won't break lore because there will still be like a 100:1 female:male ratio of them.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    Miqo'te
    Lars wrote: »
    The "lore" excuse for gender-locked races rings super hollow because not only do they write the lore (and FF14 is it's own setting that has it's own separate lore from the other games), but because they are ignoring their own lore that Eorzea is racist as hell against anything more than 50% furry. Even Miqo'te are still sidelined in places (and you'll be hardpressed to find one in-game that's in charge of anything other than their own small Miqo'te tribe). Yet they're going to have Ronso hopping off the carriage at Ul'dah and joining the Gladiator guild? Ul'dah doesn't even let beast tribe races set foot in the city (though in the Ronso case they'll probably use the same excuse they used for the Mamool Ja in the Blue Mage questline).

So they're going to ignore or write around the lore in one case but not the other?

The latest Encyclopaedia Eorzea actually has a page calling out the racism towards "beast tribes" and comments on how inconsistent things are. Apparently it started with Ul'dah for an economic protectionism but the racism caught on. Its interesting that the Stormblood beast tribes tend to be much more integrated into the local societies than the ARR or HW beast tribes.

• Options
    Roegadyn
    Caedwyr wrote: »
    Lars wrote: »

The latest Encyclopaedia Eorzea actually has a page calling out the racism towards "beast tribes" and comments on how inconsistent things are. Apparently it started with Ul'dah for an economic protectionism but the racism caught on. Its interesting that the Stormblood beast tribes tend to be much more integrated into the local societies than the ARR or HW beast tribes.

pretty much the only SB beastmen that anyone is surprised to see is namazu, and that can be attributed to them not looking all that different from regular-ass fish

• Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    Hyur
    Namazu are dope

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Au Ra
    The namazu are my idiot children and I love them all

• Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The animation of a knocked-out Namazu where they just lay on the ground twitching with their eyes whited out is one of my favorite animations in the game.

Does that make me sadistic?

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Larlar
    Even if they add male Viera, it won't break lore because there will still be like a 100:1 female:male ratio of them.

exactly the same as miqote, yes

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Au Ra
    People have datamined an additional cost to the ffxv car mount
    200k mgp for it and 40k for the hair

This discussion has been closed.