As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    For the 25th anniversary of Elder Scrolls, Bethesda is giving away Morrowind for free, today only.

So, you know... if you somehow don't own that yet, now's a good time to grab it. Fantastic game, but a bit dated so it needs some mods to help blur the uglies.

To claim: sign into your Bethesda.net account and use code TES25TH-MORROWIND

This didn't work for me.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    For the 25th anniversary of Elder Scrolls, Bethesda is giving away Morrowind for free, today only.

So, you know... if you somehow don't own that yet, now's a good time to grab it. Fantastic game, but a bit dated so it needs some mods to help blur the uglies.

To claim: sign into your Bethesda.net account and use code TES25TH-MORROWIND

This didn't work for me.

There's a few posts on their twitter of people saying the code isn't working. Maybe try again later?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I think Bethesda's site is getting slammed. It wasn't accepting my password after creating my account for a while. I also can't redeem the game with the code.

• Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    Not Awesoming that for your bad luck, but rather that so many people rushed to get an old game. Morrowind deserves that much love.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    something something cash shop horse?

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I neither had not could afford a PC that could run Morrowind at the time, but I did have an Xbox. It was one of the great early examples of games that would formerly only ever have been released on PC finding a home on a console too, blurring the lines between the two types of platform. And it was just a fantastic game.

I had played a lot of Daggerfall, and Morrowind looked staggering by comparison (even if its shortcomings didn't take long to become evident, like the notorious animation). Initially the far smaller world was a surprise, but it being hand-crafted rather than procedurally generated have it a much wider variety, as well as making it actually enjoyable and possible to explore.

A flawed classic, but a classic nonetheless.

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

"Given that nobody will want it anymore, we will force Fallout 76 into everybody's Steam accounts."

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

"Given that nobody will want it anymore, we will force Fallout 76 into everybody's Steam accounts."

Hard to port, tack into the wind and ride epic's wake to the lead!
    i have no fucking clue what im talking about

Mod lists.
    https://www.mwmythicmods.com/

https://youtu.be/lY4sHLt5W4I

Looking for that image that shows samus' armor with akira's motorcycle in front of an Aztec pyramid

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Whilst "We're releasing it on Steam" becomes a selling point for the first time in almost a decade, Tim Sweeney's justifications for the Epic store reach "The economic benefits will trickle down."

Tim Sweeney has an estimated wealth of over 7 billion dollars.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    Whilst "We're releasing it on Steam" becomes a selling point for the first time in almost a decade, Tim Sweeney's justifications for the Epic store reach "The economic benefits will trickle down."

Yeah, I've said it before, but the big thing about Epic taking a lesser cut is that it'll help smaller indie developers (who only a few will make it to the Epic store due to their heavy curation. They ain't ever going to unleash the floodgates like Steam) and likely just be pocketed by publishers for all other releases. As we've seen time and time again, it doesn't matter how much publishers make, that extra money usually doesn't find it's way down to the developers. Especially these days.

• Options
    Fallout 76 on Steam? Cool. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    So my kid and I were talking recently about something... Are there any games, preferably RPGs, that let you play a left-handed character? The only one I can remember was Dungeon Lords, which was fun but quite a buggy mess.

As a lefty, I'm feeling slighted by the gaming industry. :razz: :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, Link is left handed because Miyamoto is.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Link? Sounds like a character from a console series I have no way to play. :wink:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Tim Sweeney 2020 confirmed.
    Hard to port, tack into the wind and ride epic's wake to the lead!
    i have no fucking clue what im talking about

As a former sailing racer (my dad still does it as a 'hobby' now that he's retired), I can confirm you're surprisingly accurate.

Mugsley on
  • Options
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    So my kid and I were talking recently about something... Are there any games, preferably RPGs, that let you play a left-handed character? The only one I can remember was Dungeon Lords, which was fun but quite a buggy mess.

Hmm, I'll have to check Pillars/Tyranny/etc. to see what happens if you put a weapon in the left hand and nothing in the right...

Also I'm assuming dual-wielding ambidextrous heroes aren't good enough? Or too easy an answer?

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Link? Sounds like a character from a console series I have no way to play. :wink:

Linking isn’t hard, just requires a switch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Which "just" requires $300 in surplus funds...

Edit: also, google tells me Link is right-handed in BOTW.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular

Link was always left handed up until the Wii port of Twilight Princess, where he became right handed because motion controls (along with the entire game inverting on itself). I see they kept it that way.

And yeah, give me more left handed video game characters.

• Options
    Was it not possible to be left handed in Arcanum?

• Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Dac Vin wrote: »

Link was always left handed up until the Wii port of Twilight Princess, where he became right handed because motion controls (along with the entire game inverting on itself). I see they kept it that way.

And yeah, give me more left handed video game characters.

Aww, drat. I didn't even notice. I knew Link was right-handed up until Wii because motions control, but I never looked closely enough to see that it wasn't reverted in BotW.

Agree. Video games need more sinister characters, dangit.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Isn't Link technically ambidexterous in NES Zelda because Nintendo just mirrored the sprite rather than draw a new one, so Link always kept the shield on his north facing arm. IIRC, they explain it somewhere that it's tradition for Hylian soldiers to always keep their shield pointing to death mountain.

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I mean, Link is left handed because Miyamoto is.

Well, he was a lefty until the motion control era. I'm not sure about Breath of the Wild, but Skyward Sword as well as Wii Twilight Princess had him as a righty.

Past that the pickings for "left handed character" are super slim, even in CRPGs where the sword always goes in the right slot, shield in the left, no other way to do it. Even though in plenty they could have just mirrored the sprite and menu assignments to get the effect.

There are some games, especially "shoulder" third person and first person games that do a mild "kick out" of the game every time I use a weapon because it doesn't look right. I really wish handedness was a feature in more games is what I'm saying.

Edit: Ah, righty in BotW I see. I guess I'll probably be sticking with Gamecube Zelda as the last Zelda game for me.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Counter-Strike was default left-handed for years, wasn't it?

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

Yeah, I've said it before, but the big thing about Epic taking a lesser cut is that it'll help smaller indie developers (who only a few will make it to the Epic store due to their heavy curation. They ain't ever going to unleash the floodgates like Steam) and likely just be pocketed by publishers for all other releases. As we've seen time and time again, it doesn't matter how much publishers make, that extra money usually doesn't find it's way down to the developers. Especially these days.

Well, I mean, it's just trickle-down economics, and that's not a thing that actually exists. It's as mythical as unicorns and centaurs.

"I'm sure that money will be coming down from the top any minute" has been said to many a gullible fool throughout history.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I think Skyrim lets you use either hand as your weapon swinger.

Also sounds like Pathfinder Kingmaker lets you choose left or right handed, but there's a bunch of people complaining it doesn't actually work. But they're all kind of old, so maybe it got fixed since then.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Link is a lefty in Link's Awakening you bunch of leftists!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I think Skyrim lets you use either hand as your weapon swinger.

Also sounds like Pathfinder Kingmaker lets you choose left or right handed, but there's a bunch of people complaining it doesn't actually work. But they're all kind of old, so maybe it got fixed since then.

Skyrim: kind of, but not really. You can't equip a shield in your right hand. And although you can manually equip a spell to your right hand, they will still auto-equip to your left hand (thereby unequipping your weapon) if you activate one by hotkey, so unless you just want to wield a 1h weapon and no off-hand or spells, you're going to be fighting the game's internal logic all the time. (edit: I could be misremembering how this worked. I just remember being frustrated by trying to swing a sword left handed and use spells at the same time)

... Maybe I'll just buy Dungeon Lords and replay that. :lol:

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    I remember even as far back as UT '99 (maybe even Unreal itself? Not sure) that handedness was an option. On the one hand it seems weird that it disappeared, but it also seemed to coincide with an ever-increasing percentage of "white dude" (straight/cis if it ever came up) protagonists, so in a way it's really not surprising, unfortunately.

Although it's more weird that it's never made a comeback at least as more and more games in more recent times have included either character creators (read: protagonist creators) and/or more diverse casts.

I expect something along the lines of Ubisoft's notorious "but women are so hard to animate" bullshit excuse. Except this should be even easier to rectify.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular

No mention of Epic. Considering Bethesda was previously pretty strong on these being Bethesda launcher only, I wonder if this is Valve returning fire?

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

No mention of Epic. Considering Bethesda was previously pretty strong on these being Bethesda launcher only, I wonder if this is Valve returning fire?

Valve don't do exclusives, and I don't see them changing course now. The most likely explanation is that Bethesda's attempt to draw people to their own launcher via RAGE 2 and Fallout 76 has been an underperforming disaster, and this is the best way to backtrack on that whilst framing it as a positive, pro-active move.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    For the ...but a bit dated so it needs some mods to help blur the uglies.

Don’t you usually end up using mods to enhance the ugly bits, not blur them?

• Options
    shdwcaster wrote: »

Depends if you're playing Conan Exiles.

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

This is kind of a weird pitch because their only incentive to lower prices is to compensate for an inferior platform (otherwise people would lean in favor of features on Steam or DRM-free on GOG or just some place they already have an account because inertia). If the Epic store is ever invested in enough to become unobjectionable, or cultivates its own market base that doesn't overlap with the others, staying at $60 just means they get that much more money. And I suspect you have to drop to $50 like Metro for a psychological breakpoint, because $55 probably isn't sufficiently noteworthy vs. $59.99, but at that point you're only making 5% more. Plus, I feel like Metro is probably going to be an anomaly, because when you're exclusive you don't need to drop your price (for that reason, anyway) because there's no competition.
    akajaybay wrote: »
    but there's a bunch of people complaining it doesn't actually work. But they're all kind of old, so maybe it got fixed since then.

Hey, that's no way to talk about your elders.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    To add to what people mentioned about The Legend of Zelda, Miyamoto believed that a person's handedness would change how they approached things in the real world. As an aside, the German word for left is "Links".

Quake II and the Unreal series were the first games I remember that let you switch the player character's handedness, and there was a Die Hard FPS for the PC that had the gun in the left hand (Bruce Willis is left handed, and portrayed John McClane as such in the movies), but I can't think of any modern videogames that have left handed characters. Doomguy used to be for some of his weapons (the pistol and punching in classic Doom games), but that changed in Doom 3.

Personally I do everything at a PC left handed, except play games right handed. When I was young I had PCs that tended to lag behind everyone else's, so when I played games at other people's houses or PC cafes (remember those?) I forced myself to learn mouse controls right handed so that I wouldn't have to rebind everything whenever I played a game (which also worked out better since there were more keys surrounding WASD than there were surrounding the arrow keys or 10key).

It's a bit of a pain in the ass moving my mousepad and keyboard whenever I want to play a game, but I make due. Thank god for wireless mice, is all I'm saying.

• Options
    shdwcaster wrote: »

No, no... you're thinking of the jiggly bits...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Although it's more weird that it's never made a comeback at least as more and more games in more recent times have included either character creators (read: protagonist creators) and/or more diverse casts.

A lot of VR games - I want to say the majority of them by far - don't have a preset handedness, for obvious reasons, although this probably isn't going to help Pixie.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular

Interestingly enough, Pathfinder: Kingmaker lets you select the handedness of your character at creation, and it switches your posture and animations and everything. It's a neat touch.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
This discussion has been closed.