As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] April showers bring May Birthdays

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I'll have to have a look at Pathfinder.

Also, Viking has pointed out to me that some of the weapons in Monster Hunter World are left-handed. I somehow forgot this.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Triss from Full Metal Furies appears to be left handed

Her only weapons are her shield and yelling at people.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Karoz wrote: »

Huh. Same weapons I use at work.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I always found it a little weird that I play better using left-handed batters in baseball games where the batting camera is behind the plate. My best guess is that I just 'see' the ball better no matter the handedness of the pitcher. When using righties, I'm almost always late and hardly ever pull the ball.

• Options
    CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    Are there any games, preferably RPGs, that let you play a left-handed character?

All my characters on Discworld MUD are left-handed.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    2ys5bcr94kui.png

@Triple B sent me cats. Possibly because I sent him cats. Hard to say.

@ReverseCreations also tried to send me cats. But Five had already sent me cats. So I had to decline the cats.

Thanks for cats! <3<3<3

For everyone else: I would like to point out that a percentage of sales of this adorable-looking $4 game are being donated to Best Friends Animal Society, which is dedicated to a future where there are no homeless animals. So, you know... if you can spare $4, you could help a kitty. <3 (also, the DLCs are literally just "I want to donate money to Gamers for Good")

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular

No Man's Sky getting free SteamVR support in the forthcoming Beyond update. They're having one of the games regular half-price sales all week.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

No mention of Epic. Considering Bethesda was previously pretty strong on these being Bethesda launcher only, I wonder if this is Valve returning fire?

Valve don't do exclusives, and I don't see them changing course now. The most likely explanation is that Bethesda's attempt to draw people to their own launcher via RAGE 2 and Fallout 76 has been an underperforming disaster, and this is the best way to backtrack on that whilst framing it as a positive, pro-active move.

Hence my sailing analogy. Using epic's negative spin to propel Bethesda into some positive spin and mitigate the damage of bag-gate, booze-gate, and....... what was the third one?

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

No mention of Epic. Considering Bethesda was previously pretty strong on these being Bethesda launcher only, I wonder if this is Valve returning fire?

Valve don't do exclusives, and I don't see them changing course now. The most likely explanation is that Bethesda's attempt to draw people to their own launcher via RAGE 2 and Fallout 76 has been an underperforming disaster, and this is the best way to backtrack on that whilst framing it as a positive, pro-active move.

Hence my sailing analogy. Using epic's negative spin to propel Bethesda into some positive spin and mitigate the damage of bag-gate, booze-gate, and....... what was the third one?

The user data leak on Fallout 76
    gate?

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    At some point we're going to have a scandal involving the manufacturer of a tool used by a specific person who determines whether or not a certain type of reptile can move from one area to the next and we're gonna call it gatorgatergategate

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Regardless of why they went back to Steam, I’m glad I’ll still have my id shooters in one place again. Also I won’t have to deal with their shitass launcher.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, perhaps it was obvious to some, but that free Morrowind GotY offer is through the Bethesda launcher. Not Steam. :(

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Regardless of why they went back to Steam, I’m glad I’ll still have my id shooters in one place again. Also I won’t have to deal with their shitass launcher.

Unless they do it like Ubisoft does with Uplay and still runs it through their launcher too.

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Unless they do it like Ubisoft does with Uplay and still runs it through their launcher too.

It's launchers all the way down.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019

Not sure what the source is but the RPS article confirms the Steam versions won’t require the Bethesda launcher.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular

Right handed people use shields with their left, though!

• Options
    McMoogleMcMoogle Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Right handed people use shields with their left, though!

Yeah but only because their right has a weapon in it. If you were going to use your shield as a bashing weapon as a right hander i imagine you'd also put it on your right hand.

McMoogle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I always found it a little weird that I play better using left-handed batters in baseball games where the batting camera is behind the plate. My best guess is that I just 'see' the ball better no matter the handedness of the pitcher. When using righties, I'm almost always late and hardly ever pull the ball.

Just like in real baseball, you may be picking up the ball better as it comes out of the hand of a right handed pitcher if you bat as a lefty. Right handed pitchers are more common because right handed people are more common.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Remember the days when launchers and digital storefronts were opposed by publishers?

i-8Gx8XpC.jpg

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    The last line kills me every time.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Even more ironic was Penny Arcade launching and then shuttering their own digital storefront.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular

Just like in real baseball, you may be picking up the ball better as it comes out of the hand of a right handed pitcher if you bat as a lefty. Right handed pitchers are more common because right handed people are more common.

I mean any pitcher. Left or right. I struggle batting from the right side. Generally being late on the pitch and going the opposite field. But from the left, I turn on pitches far quicker and mostly pull them. I really can't explain why.

It could, perhaps, have something to do with being unable to pick up the ball out of the pitcher's hand. Depth of vision, in modern 3D video games, is something I can struggle with. Usually in sports games. When playing football I cannot see the whole field and end up getting sacked. A lot.

In baseball video games, I cannot tell anything about a pitch until it is too late to get a good swing. The motion and 'release point' is nearly always the same. And the artificial depth perception makes reading the ball difficult. (Not to mention when the ball jumps out of the hand because the game cannot adjust properly for a bad pitch.)

But, even with all that, I still perform better batting left in video games regardless of the pitcher's throwing arm.

• Options
    Remember the days when launchers and digital storefronts were opposed by publishers?

i-8Gx8XpC.jpg

I don't get the sandwich comparison. How could I get a sandwich delivered but be unable look at it, let alone eat it?

I can understand having a sandwich delivered and not be able to eat it because the delivery company came back later and took it away. But how can I have something but not interact with it?

We need a car metaphor.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    The joke is that, because Gabe doesn't want to talk about digital storefronts, Tycho has to use a tortured analogy that Gabe completely misinterpretes, leading to him murdering a man to steal lunchmeat.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    I got the joke. I don't get the analogy.

Valve sued Vivendi because Vivendi was distributing Valve games (to cyber cafes in pay-to-play setups). Vivendi countersued claiming that Steam violated the distribution agreement they had.

The joke makes sense. The 'joke' in context does not.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    The analogy is bad! That's the point! Tycho had to find a topic Gabe would tolerate even if it makes no sense in context.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Apologies to @Pixelated Pixie for the delay in posting this but in my defense I was at work :P

Thanks for the gift of Goo!
    QjofS80.png

• Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    The joke is that Gabe is an idiot, an easily influenced, pliable idiot at the best of times, and that in this one instance the need for Tycho to explain things regardless of if the audience he has (i.e. Gabe) gives a shit about them or not led to a man's brutal death and the theft of a metric-shit ton of cold cuts.

And a vegetarian slam.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have a dead horse what needs beating . . .

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    OH
    MY
    GOD

@mildlymorbid did an amazing thing! I just got home from work and mentioned in chat I was gonna watch some more sekiro whilst holding the controller and then this class act decides he's got some dunking to do!

j4dX8Sq.png

• Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    The joke is that Gabe is an idiot, an easily influenced, pliable idiot at the best of times, and that in this one instance the need for Tycho to explain things regardless of if the audience he has (i.e. Gabe) gives a shit about them or not led to a man's brutal death and the theft of a metric-shit ton of cold cuts.

And a vegetarian slam.

I. Get. The. Joke.

What I don't get is the Valve/Vivendi connection to fridges/grocery companies. The comic was posted as an ironic nod to when digital serviced were still new and frowned at. Presumably the analogy is in reference to the lawsuits at the time. So what I'm trying to figure is how I could have a game delivered but not play it.

I do not get the analogy.

• Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

And a vegetarian slam.

I. Get. The. Joke.

What I don't get is the Valve/Vivendi connection to fridges/grocery companies. The comic was posted as an ironic nod to when digital serviced were still new and frowned at. Presumably the analogy is in reference to the lawsuits at the time. So what I'm trying to figure is how I could have a game delivered but not play it.

I do not get the analogy.

I don't recall the exact context but my guess would be enforcing street states for the sake of brick and mortar stores. The way this is accomplished is by delivering the game files encrypted then decrypting them at release.

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Back in the day, to keep things "fair" and "street dates" meaningful, it was not uncommon to have a game fully downloaded onto your HD but still be unable to play it, as it remained locked until brick and mortar stores would also have copies for sale.

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    It's a bad analogy because Tycho is ascribing traits from digital software distribution to a physical item.

Special fridge that can get turkey sandwiches delivered right to the crisper = digital distribution of games via steam
    Groceries companies want you to go to the store to get your cold cuts = brick and mortal stores do not want you to be buying games from not them
    Get the sandwich delivered but cannot eat or even look at it = you can preload HL2, but you can't play it until the brick and mortal release date, and you can't even look through the files in the meantime

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Then the supermarkets drove themselves into the ground by turning into pawn shops of food

Wasn't that an snl sketch?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Whelp, that's ZENO CLASH in the bag. Loved the art style, but anything that wasn't directly melee combat against a regular sized foe left me wanting (and there was a lot that wasn't that). Still, on board for the sequel next time it's on sale or in a bundle.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Back in the day, to keep things "fair" and "street dates" meaningful, it was not uncommon to have a game fully downloaded onto your HD but still be unable to play it, as it remained locked until brick and mortar stores would also have copies for sale.

That's still true, sort of. Just the B&M street date is less of an issue, but there's still a street/release date and encrypted preloads.

• Options

That's still true, sort of. Just the B&M street date is less of an issue, but there's still a street/release date and encrypted preloads.

Which is why the analogy doesn't make sense. It wouldn't surprise me that people might feel privileged enough to think that pre-loading a game should also mean being able to access the game before release. But in what world would anybody be able to sell a game that could not be accessed at all?

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    @Pixelated Pixie Don't know if you like these type games but I recall you liked TSW and it's set in the same universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSdfZCj7dg4

Looks pretty atmospheric. I liked The Park a lot - despite the flaws - so I'm eager to see how this turns out.

vamen on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Damn, I was just coming to post about Moons of Madness!

• Options
    Tentacles in space? Sure, why not. I'm in...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.