As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Forget your New Year's diet in the [Bad Food] thread

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Because people don't add nearly enough salt to their food when they cook and the salted butter helps mitigate that fact, is my guess.

Scaremongering about high blood pressure being linked to sodium is to blame for most of it. Which, yes, is sorta true, but also not really and more of "well it depends" like everything else in food-science.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Does salted butter even have that much sodium? Like even if you ate 2000 calories of salted butter, I still don't think you would get more than the daily recommended amount of sodium.

Couscous on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Fine, I'll test this out

I'll report later

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Does salted butter even have that much sodium? Like even if you ate 2000 calories of salted butter, I still don't think you would get more than the daily recommended amount of sodium.

101 mg per tablespoon, according to google. So a pretty negligible amount.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Couscous wrote: »

Yeah it's like 15mg of sodium in a stick of butter (edit: this might have been from "unsalted butter" I think, hard to get nutrition labels online for butter)

A slice of cheese pizza has 400mg of sodium.

So 2-3 sticks of butter to get to the 2k Cal is still less than a single slice of cheese pizza.

A pinch of salt is equivalent to the sodium in pizza supposedly.

But like all things that deal with food, salt doesn't really translate to high blood pressure. Your genetics and your overall health contribute quite a lot. Someone can literally eat whole pizzas and never get it. Someone else can eat the healthiest food in the world and still develop HBP and get heart disease.

But overall, the person who eats the healthy food, if they ate the whole pizza, it'd absolutely make their situation worse. The takeaway of this is, get checkups regularly and season your food so that you avoid binge-ing on pizza 3 times a week.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My mother used to buy unsalted butter for 'health' reasons. Then sh'ed eat her toast with an infinitesimal scraping of vegemite on it because "otherwise it has no flavour".
    Think about these things for a few seconds, ma

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My mother used to buy unsalted butter for 'health' reasons. Then sh'ed eat her toast with an infinitesimal scraping of vegemite on it because "otherwise it has no flavour".
    Think about these things for a few seconds, ma

It has veg right in the name. Totally healthy

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    QuantumTurkQuantumTurk Registered User regular
    Salted butter keeps longer, is the main thing. Also fuck I need to go buy more vegemite/marmite, but it always seems so oddly expensive here (the US Georgia)

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    I buy salted or unsalted butter depending on my mood. I almost never use butter, though, aside from baking.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Salted butter keeps longer, is the main thing. Also fuck I need to go buy more vegemite/marmite, but it always seems so oddly expensive here (the US Georgia)

Also I have a hard time finding vegemite in stores, at least relative to marmite which I've seen in basically every Ralph's and Vons in SoCal. I mean I could order it online I guess, but I do find it a bit odd. Vegemite is definitely the more well-known of the two in America.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    We buy unsalted because you can whip unsalted butter with salt and oil to make it spreadable and delicious, but you can't take the salt out of salted butter when you're doing stuff like baking.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I had enough reward points to get a free whole pizza from 7 Eleven so tonight I feast

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    kilnborn wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    There’s “salted butter” flavor I want from my grilled cheese that I find mayo doesn’t provide.

This might be an advertisement for salted butter. No one who actually cooks good food buys salted butter. Why is my ad-blocker failing me? You salt your bread slices when you make grilled cheese.

Somebody been watchin’ too much Food Network.

• Options
    ApocalyptusApocalyptus Registered User regular
    Because people don't add nearly enough salt to their food when they cook and the salted butter helps mitigate that fact, is my guess.
    I still don’t understand this assertion.

I mean, it’s pretty well known that salt level preference is highly influenced by what individuals are used to having, rather than there being an objective ‘right’ amount.

If it tastes good to the person making it and the people eating it, there’s enough, right?

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    I had enough reward points to get a free whole pizza from 7 Eleven so tonight I feast

I don't know if you have it where you are but the 7-11 breakfast pizza is legit delicious if it's fresh.

• Options
    I still don’t understand this assertion.

I mean, it’s pretty well known that salt level preference is highly influenced by what individuals are used to having, rather than there being an objective ‘right’ amount.

If it tastes good to the person making it and the people eating it, there’s enough, right?

I prefer most of my food unsalted. When I do add salt, my brain explodes.

Properly seasoned steak tastes fucking RIDICULOUS.

But I don’t want to be adding salt all the time and I hate the idea that eating food without a bunch of salt on it might not taste good. Food does not “require” salt, but salt is basically flavor magic.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Yeah that's me, I barely use any salt at all because I find the taste of actual salt not super pleasant.

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I like a little salt. I buy salted butter! I only really use it for baking.

I use Smart Balance as a healthier butter alternative.

If I'm feeling absolutely beyond luxurious and naughty, I might have some of that real butter on a toasted bagel. Sweet lord it is divine.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I love salt, I'm so salty

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I love salt

I love salty butter

slice that business up

put it on my toast in chunks

yum yum oily salt yum

• Options
    I am also not really sure how I am expected to uniformly apply salt to toast without using way too fucking much.

I am not whipping my butter just to put it on toast, and I really ain’t give a fuck what opinions anyone may have about my decision to do that.

I have plenty of other reasons why I suck clocking in way ahead of that one.

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    This is the first time I've ever heard of salting toast.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I think people are saying the salted butter is so salty that using it is like salting toast?

I don’t really notice much of a difference between salted and unsalted butter.

Never heard of salting toast though, no.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I've definitely salted toast before, but usually with garlic salt.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    knitdan wrote: »
    I think people are saying the salted butter is so salty that using it is like salting toast?

I don’t really notice much of a difference between salted and unsalted butter.

Never heard of salting toast though, no.

Bread/Butter has enough salt so its never occurred to me

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    This was in response to the whole "only ever use unsalted butter ever" comment on the previous page. Similarly, I prefer to use salted butter when making grilled cheese, because I have a fucking day job and most of my grilled cheese sandwiches are not a "culinary event".

• Options
    unsalted butter is just so bleh

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    My mother had friends over last night to paint and drink wine and gossip.

Apparently one of them brought two dozen fresh eggs and then left them there.

I was messaged to come get them for my own delights.

s18SNTe.gif

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    JOANNA!

These are NOT your eggs!

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I am also not really sure how I am expected to uniformly apply salt to toast without using way too fucking much.

I am not whipping my butter just to put it on toast, and I really ain’t give a fuck what opinions anyone may have about my decision to do that.

This is why vegemite on crumpets is the way and the light. Sure, toast is great, but it doesn't hold the heat in the way crumpets do. By the time you get it out of the toaster, on to the plate, and smeared with whatever topping you choose, it's practically cold already.

Crumpets hold their warmth much much longer. Which is extra good with vegemite, because it melts and flows into all the little bubble holes in the crumpet.

• Options

This is why vegemite on crumpets is the way and the light. Sure, toast is great, but it doesn't hold the heat in the way crumpets do. By the time you get it out of the toaster, on to the plate, and smeared with whatever topping you choose, it's practically cold already.

Crumpets hold their warmth much much longer. Which is extra good with vegemite, because it melts and flows into all the little bubble holes in the crumpet.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If you come to Australia I will make you crumpets with vegemite, and you will enjoy them. I guarantee it!

I

guarantee

it

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If you come to Australia I will make you crumpets with vegemite, and you will enjoy them. I guarantee it!

I

guarantee

it

Bit of cheddar on top, then throw them under the grill to bubble up

Heavenly

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    grrmushagrrmusha Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Believe it or not, we don't have"unsalted"butter here. Every butter at the grocery store is salted, but it's such a negligible amount of salt. You have to go to healthy food stores to try to find find unsalted ones.

grrmusha on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    This butter talk is interesting.
    We only buy unsalted mainly because pretty much everything I cook calls for it. For the table we have some tub blend with olive oil in it.

• Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I feel like shit and want to eat a loaf of garlic bread and go to sleep

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I used to use unsalted butter but when the lady moved in she demanded we switch to salted

and generally I'm pretty happy with this since when you're cooking you wind up having to put salt in it anyway, might as well let the butter do some of the work

• Options
    I feel like shit and want to eat a loaf of garlic bread and go to sleep

reminds me of me like

7 out of 10 days

• Options
    grrmusha wrote: »
    Believe it or not, we don't have"unsalted"butter here. Every butter at the grocery store is salted, but it's such a negligible amount of salt. You have to go to healthy food stores to try to find find unsalted ones.

It really does feel like a distinctly american thing. The butter cooler portion of Wegmans has some European and Irish butters and they're all salted too.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    bowen wrote: »
    grrmusha wrote: »

It really does feel like a distinctly american thing. The butter cooler portion of Wegmans has some European and Irish butters and they're all salted too.

Unsalted butter is definitely a thing in the UK and Australia, and most places in western europe that I've lived. The french get really anal about precise butter salting. But as a product it really does tend to only be used for baking.

This discussion has been closed.