As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Terrendos wrote: »
    Hey guys, this game is making me very frustrated. In about a third of the games I get into, I'm lagged to hell and back. I tried the "set your data server" thing, and it didn't seem to help. The worst part is, most of the time when I lag badly, the game just won't let me leave; it just hangs at the "connecting to server..." overlay. Which I can exit out of and keep playing lagged, but if it sticks around then I have to go to the Task Manager to shut the game down and restart manually.

Needless to say, it's killing a lot of the fun. Has anyone else had these issues? Is there anything else I can try? As far as I know, it's not a problem with my ISP. I don't see how it could be, either, since in 2/3 or 3/4 games I run just fine.

Al my troubles came from frame rate issues and CPU/GPU utilisation.
    You might try to cap your frame rate at 60 or 90 through the the command line and see if it helps.

Interesting. I'll give that a try tonight. I've got a 1080ti and an oc'd i5-6600k, so I assumed that couldn't be the issue. Though again, no idea why it would only happen 1/3 of the time.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I wonder how long till we hear outcry about Wraith using the OK hand symbol.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    yxRG2R0.png

Killing myself is bad enough, but I don't need to hear my own snarky commentary!

(it was a grenade murder-suicide)

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I have played like 10 games of apex

and my battle pass is still level 1.

This is extremely frustrating.

• SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

If you care about your battle pass level, you need to rotate around and play every Legend every day and get a kill on each, then play enough on your legends to use up the bonus survival time xp on all of them.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

If you care about your battle pass level, you need to rotate around and play every Legend every day and get a kill on each, then play enough on your legends to use up the bonus survival time xp on all of them.

Don't drop in hot zones, just run up the clock.

steam_sig.png
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Won two games tonight, including this monster game with randoms
    27q7qi87iwrr.png

Devotion and R99 is a really fun time
    https://youtu.be/ATPYQvjlEwg

I still gripe that Lifeline is a dumb legend and I don't even vaguely bring out her full potential

https://youtu.be/pPYhfa6yoek

ucGnjx6h.png

just a single game for a daily kill as I was rotating through

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I didn't even realize that was a bonus, just the 25,000 bonus XP weekly? Are there any other bonuses that might have gone under the radar?

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    Playing with friends, once at least one of those friends is BP lvl 12

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I didn't even realize that was a bonus, just the 25,000 bonus XP weekly? Are there any other bonuses that might have gone under the radar?

Daily 500xp first kill bonus per legend

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I hit level twelve last night. The playing with friends bonus is survival time XP only, so it's... Not significant. I imagine it'll translate to something like 5-8% progress by the time you hit 110 overall, including the fact that it upgrades every ten levels. The first bracket in a full group of friends was only like 2% bonus in a second place game for me.

What is this I don't even.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »

Ah, so I should give up now!

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    I wish I could get groups where people talk. It's either screamy dickheads or mute Marvin's.

• AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    ok, this was a good place to end tonight :)
    AmSEZCW.jpg

I didn't get the most kills on the team but I rez'd both guys and did about 450 damage. Respectable for me.
    The flatline and Peacekeeper combo is my jam.

Ok Bloodhound is fun in the right circumstances
    https://youtu.be/kj9zOqqjEmg

We won this fight, but I'm mostly sharing because I totally called the last guy dropping down, so I stared at the ladder waiting lol
    https://youtu.be/QAVmY2h1iME

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Won a game last night where we third-partied a fight in the bunker and cleaned up, there were 19 deathboxes just in the bunker, never seen anything like it

this was just on the big staircase-

D2llXJEWoAIO9ts.jpg

PSN- AHermano
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I just don't go in bunker anymore. I will follow my team literally anywhere else. Skull town or Swamp, Quiet or Busy, doesn't matter. If we win or lose, at least we had a chance.

But I absolutely refuse to go in there. Except, maybe, near the end of the game.

Before this rule, every time my squad went into bunker at the start of a game, we would get sandwiched between two squads. It was very reliable. The place is a meat grinder. The only winning move is to not play.

Don't go into bunker.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    Bunker and market have the problem of the sound of gunfights echoing across the entire map. Bunker is even worse because it’s more center. It draws all the attention ever. And the nature of it makes for a potentially long engagement

Factor in no way out if you get sandwiched? It’s the worst.

616610-1.png
  • cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I just don't go in bunker anymore. I will follow my team literally anywhere else. Skull town or Swamp, Quiet or Busy, doesn't matter. If we win or lose, at least we had a chance.

But I absolutely refuse to go in there. Except, maybe, near the end of the game.

Before this rule, every time my squad went into bunker at the start of a game, we would get sandwiched between two squads. It was very reliable. The place is a meat grinder. The only winning move is to not play.

Don't go into bunker.
    I've won plenty of bunker drops. Heck, I've had plenty of uncontested bunker drops. It's like Skulltown, there's good odds it's a clusterfuck and you die in a minute, but you go in anyway because at least you died in a minute with your team, instead of leaving them to die and spending ten minutes wandering around with a white shield and a sightless G7 before a full squad rolls you over.

• OrphaneOrphane rivers of red that run to seaRegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Don't go into bunker.
    I've won plenty of bunker drops. Heck, I've had plenty of uncontested bunker drops. It's like Skulltown, there's good odds it's a clusterfuck and you die in a minute, but you go in anyway because at least you died in a minute with your team, instead of leaving them to die and spending ten minutes wandering around with a white shield and a sightless G7 before a full squad rolls you over.

bunker is a terrible place to fight because it's an enclosed tight space which is terrible for movement and there's no way to dip in and out easily unless you're one of the last squads in

i'll go in every time but it's objectively a worse place to fight than basically anywhere else other than wide open fields, which are terrible for other reasons

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    If your entire team has spitfires, go bunker every time.

What is this I don't even.
    Orphane wrote: »
    cB557 wrote: »

Don't go into bunker.

bunker is a terrible place to fight because it's an enclosed tight space which is terrible for movement and there's no way to dip in and out easily unless you're one of the last squads in

i'll go in every time but it's objectively a worse place to fight than basically anywhere else other than wide open fields, which are terrible for other reasons
    That applies to everyone else who goes in, though, so in the initial clusterfuck you've got as good a chance as anyone else. If the clusterfuck lasts particularly long there is the problem of people from cascades swinging in fresh while everyone in bunker is worn down, but then you've also got the times where they try to do that with white shields from low/mid tier cascades while you've just geared up with blue and purple from mid/high tier bunker and you cut them down, so it goes both ways on that.
    Like, bunker still is a clusterfuck, and that one map where runoff says "going for wins not kills" and bunker says "going for kills not wins" isn't really wrong, but bunker's nowhere near "split off from my team and try my luck alone" tier. Heck, I don't know if I consider anything that tier, just because it makes for so much worse a play experience for everyone involved.

I'm of the opinion any place on the map can be a good place to drop, as long as no one else is really going there. Maybe at most you wanna see one other team, any more than one and it's gonna be a bad time. Hotdropping is fun but usually ends in pain and death.

I like to hang on the ship longer since, at least on Xbox, everyone seems to drop right away or around the first half of the map the ship crosses. Going for a further away zone with nice loot almost always yields higher survival times and a nice quick loot up with at least blue shields and some decent guns.

I'm of the opinion any place on the map can be a good place to drop, as long as no one else is really going there. Maybe at most you wanna see one other team, any more than one and it's gonna be a bad time. Hotdropping is fun but usually ends in pain and death.

I like to hang on the ship longer since, at least on Xbox, everyone seems to drop right away or around the first half of the map the ship crosses. Going for a further away zone with nice loot almost always yields higher survival times and a nice quick loot up with at least blue shields and some decent guns.
    Oh, I think I've figured it out. You and Arteen Freaky Friday'd, right? That's what's going on?

My favorite spot on the map is actually probably Hydro or Repulsor since the characters I like are mobility based and there's lots of verticality there. I almost always find either a purple shield there or some decent guns, and it's not often that populated unless the ship starts that corner of the map.

My least favorite spot is like, the dead forest. It's an awful spot for final circles since it's all mud and dirt and not much cover. Swamps kinda sucks too since you end up falling down under the houses and it becomes a huge shitshow really quickly.

• Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular

I swear there are approximately three of us out of the entire console and pc population combined that feels this way.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    I've had pretty good success running solo...
    as long as I don't get into any fights.

I think my optimal drop is a high tier loot zone that's like 1.2, 1.5 kilometers out from the dropship start. Just the right distance that I think on average you're going to have to fight one squad for it. Hot enough that it'll keep you sharp, but cool enough that you'll get actual matches in at a decent rate.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    In general, I prefer getting a drop alone on a map edge over a hot drop with 3 or more teams and a constant meat grinder in the center of the map. But that's because my goal is more often survival and Wins over kills/gun-play practice.
    Which is probably foolish, because on the minute to minute gameplay side, it's less exciting.

However, a gunfight when there are 20 squads left is way less intense than a gunfight at 2 squads left, and the adrenaline spike of the second is what I'm looking for more than just murderhole fights. I prefer one 15-20 minute game with 5 fights over ten 2 minute games with 3 chaotic shitshow fights each.

That said, I like to mix up and have a few hotdrops per game session just because it is still hilarious, and when it works out it also feels good.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I like midgame spice. I want to loot a bit, then get into some fights. I feel like I do better that way than seeing nobody until the end of the game, if I don't shoot for an entire round I feel slow on the draw.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Speaking of hot drops, I had an insane game dropping straight into the hot zone which was swamps right under where the ship.

However it really gets crazy at the end of the game.

https://youtu.be/M0WY4gwrTA4

Video picks up about midway through. I had killed 5 people in swamps and 1 of a team of three just near the respawn point at Hydro Dam (from whom we got the level 3 body shields from. PS4's capture software seems to have skipped some bits which is frustrating but most of the good stuff is still there.

Post game screen spoilers:
    5YsGJYt.jpg

I'll maybe upload the first half of the game at some point because it was also a little crazy. Got a kill with a Mozambique to start, then an RE-45. Then just whatever gun I could find ammo for.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    In general, I prefer getting a drop alone on a map edge over a hot drop with 3 or more teams and a constant meat grinder in the center of the map. But that's because my goal is more often survival and Wins over kills/gun-play practice.
    Which is probably foolish, because on the minute to minute gameplay side, it's less exciting.

However, a gunfight when there are 20 squads left is way less intense than a gunfight at 2 squads left, and the adrenaline spike of the second is what I'm looking for more than just murderhole fights. I prefer one 15-20 minute game with 5 fights over ten 2 minute games with 3 chaotic shitshow fights each.

That said, I like to mix up and have a few hotdrops per game session just because it is still hilarious, and when it works out it also feels good.

My approach to multiplayer competitive games:
    https://youtu.be/rkN8V2Xogsw

(Ignore the Whitney Houston bit...I dunno what that's about.)

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Had a lot of games tonight where we ended in the number 2 slot. Despite not being wins, they all felt really good.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    I like “hot” dropping when it becomes “Can I punch this guy 4 times before he kills me with a P2020” and then I get to loot a little bit afterwards with dying/fighting again.

That same fight ending with a 3rd or 4th team coming in and shooting me once with a Eva-8 because I didn’t find a health pack 90 seconds in still feels pretty bad.

Too many people think they’re going to come out on top of a 4-5 slug fest on an early drop, with that many people the outcome might as well be a random dice roll.

Couple random clips

https://youtu.be/WQpuyQKkJaA
    Triple Take is a shotgun

https://youtu.be/cSpiQJqecxo
    Cheeky 1v3

edited March 2019
    Game is starting to click for me more. Catching my buddies a bit in kills and damage. Not feeling like I’m being as carried as much.

Had an amazing moment at the end of a match where my teammates went down. Then I lost a 1v3 after knocking 1. But they didn’t see my yellow knockdown so I fell off a mountain and self rezzed and won the second attempt at the 1v3 for sweet championship! Best APEX moment by far.

I’ll try to clip it tonight because I’ve never been prouder of anything ever

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Ok I'll admit this move was kind of aggressively stupid and stupidly aggressive. However nobody expects the sneaky self-revive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkVVFhgSGXk

Muffinatron on
    PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    A few OK finishes today, but no wins. One early fight included a mega feel-bad when I had some great door play, but the game decided the opponents client was running on the Speed Force or something.
    I'm already handicapped just from being thicc, but I also have to put up with this!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    The downside of having to rotate around to get kills to maximize xp means I'm far less likely to win, since we're just hotdropping and thirsting and probably dying soon after. Not sure I like how this has made me play differently.

XNnw6Gk.jpg