As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Best Quick Table Top Game?

dizarillodizarillo Registered User new member
edited November 2006 in Critical Failures
I'm familiar with DnD and D20, however, I am finding myself with less and less free time. Is there another system or a modified DnD/D20 system that is table top friendly, not unreasonably priced, a single game can be played between 1 and 3 hours, and is still fun.

dizarillo on

• Options
    SkitoriaSkitoria Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Some of the modules from Wizards website are fun and quick. Best of all free! Or buy one of the campaign books and just play for a few hours a night so you won't have to spend a bunch of time preparing and just can show up with the book and pick up where you left off.

Skitoria on
    Steam:Milfhouse Xbox:Eitel4 Paladin:Luiane Mage:Milane
  • Options
    XieflowXieflow Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    While not technically a tabletop game like D&D, you might want to look into Runebound and the like (Descent, Battlestations, etc). I've only played Runebound out of these, so I'll comment on that.

Runebound is a tabletop board game that plays a lot like an RPG. Without any expansions, it's a pretty dull game that feels like each player is playing their own game with a like 5 minute wait between games. With the Midnight expansion, it becomes a team game instead of competitive, and some rules are introduced to speed the game up (the biggest one is they fix movement). Games fall upon the upper end of your time limit, especially when people aren't familiar with the game. A few other notes, it's more of a roll playing game than a role playing game, with little RPing involved, and more straight up leveling / combat / item aquisition. There is also no carry-over of characters / skills between sessions, which is good for some groups (more volatile groups where you never know who / how many people will show up at each session). Being a board game, there is also quite a bit of setup, but it doesn't take too long, especially once you are familiar with it.

The store price for Runebound (second edition is the one you want for the base version) is $50, although most online retailers offer it for $30. I'm not sure what the store price is for the Midnight expansion, but you can get it online for less than $30. There a bajillion other expansions, from $5 to $30, so if you want an expandable game that you can change up when you are bored of the quests you have, you will have options... however if you're the kind of person put off by what appears to be a game attempting to nickel and dime you, or you can't help but want to pick up every expansion for everything you buy, then avoid.

this game matches the requirements you listed (table top friendly, reasonably priced, less than 3 hours to play, and still fun), however, it's not for everyone (if you are more into the RPing part of an RPG, or you want a persistent game world).

Xieflow on
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    If not for the unreasonably price part, I'd say track down Talisman. One of the best, most expensive board games ever.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    I'd just like to thank you guys for not recommending FUDGE.

I remember back in the day someone would ask this question and some numbnuts would always answer, "Play FUDGE RPG" because it uses coins or someshit.

Just... thank you.

Munchkin is a good quickie.

Squashua on
  • Options
    gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Car Wars FTW!

gredavin on
  • Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    csss-heroquest.jpg

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    csss-heroquest.jpg
    My... my mom threw away me and my brother's copy while she was cleaning our room years ago. :cry:

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I still have HeroQuest back at home. That game was golden.

Jyardana on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2006
    Advanced Hero Quest (yes), rocked the MB version's socks off. And it beats Warhammer Quest too.

Squashua on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited November 2006
    Feng Shui is pretty nice and has a simple action-oriented system.

Echo on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I've heard nothing but good things about Feng Shui.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    JennieJennie Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    n00bish wrote:
    quote]
    My... my mom threw away me and my brother's copy while she was cleaning our room years ago. :cry:

You, you killed her right? For the love man tell me you did the right thing and killed her!

Jennie on