As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    I will second the AMS. It is not only useful (even if it is only one) but nice to have. Especially if you're out on Polar or Alpine since you're a brawler type.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    At some point, I'm going to have to learn what all the pictograph stuff that it NEVER TELLS YOU ABOUT in game actually means.

Red carrots?

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    At some point, I'm going to have to learn what all the pictograph stuff that it NEVER TELLS YOU ABOUT in game actually means.

Red carrots?

The "Target has Missiles incoming" red carrots.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    I most recently learned that the little triangle on top of a targeted enemy mech is hollow if you are the only one targeting that enemy, filled if someone else is targeting it. This is bonkers helpful for backstabbing lights, because it often means if you wait a second there might be missiles on the way, and if not that mech might reposition away from incoming direct fire from your teammates.

monkeykins wrote: »
    I most recently learned that the little triangle on top of a targeted enemy mech is hollow if you are the only one targeting that enemy, filled if someone else is targeting it. This is bonkers helpful for backstabbing lights, because it often means if you wait a second there might be missiles on the way, and if not that mech might reposition away from incoming direct fire from your teammates.

Aka the difference between the enemy standing there letting you core them from behind and having them turn around and unleash hell upon you.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Also can help indicate which direction they might turn, too, if you decide to see how much they put into their rear armor anyways.

Honestly, the thing I like least is the little flashes on the enemy damage indicator showing where they are getting hit, because I often confuse it for showing critical when it's still yellow, I just happened to glance at it the exact moment it got hit so it looked red.

I miss the Doritos... Best intel for a backstabbing light.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    3xUAC2 Dragons are strong but man they're way too much work to pilot

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Last night we had a random game with a Twitch streamer who spent the entire match on voice chat, narrating it like a sports tournament- he was pretty good at calling out targets and coordinating our team while doing it, too, I had a blast. I lost it when the enemy Atlas got called with an Atlas Shrugged joke, because I'm a bad person who loves puns.

I hope the kid takes some long naps Friday (thanks for being closed, daycare!) and Saturday, because I still need 90 loot boxes for the event...

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Glal wrote: »
    Last night we had a random game with a Twitch streamer who spent the entire match on voice chat, narrating it like a sports tournament- he was pretty good at calling out targets and coordinating our team while doing it, too, I had a blast. I lost it when the enemy Atlas got called with an Atlas Shrugged joke, because I'm a bad person who loves puns.

Did the guy sound like a baseball announcer? I think I ran into him a few times

• lazegamerlazegamer The magnanimous cyberspaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Nobody wrote: »

I've been told that the voice actor who does Duncan Fisher (the Solaris announcer) plays the game. I've ran into a guy doing that character over voice comms while we played and they were spot on, unsure if it was him or not.

edit: According to this reddit thread, his name is George Ledoux and he goes by Chaotic_Harmony in game.

lazegamer on
    I would download a car.
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    That was him. Chaotic Harmony.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    lazegamer wrote: »

I've been told that the voice actor who does Duncan Fisher (the Solaris announcer) plays the game. I've ran into a guy doing that character over voice comms while we played and they were spot on, unsure if it was him or not.

edit: According to this reddit thread, his name is George Ledoux and he goes by Chaotic_Harmony in game.

That’s the guy, yeah I haven’t seen him lately but every match I had with him on the same team was a treat.

I hope the kid takes some long naps Friday (thanks for being closed, daycare!) and Saturday, because I still need 90 loot boxes for the event...

I think I have around 40 boxes so far... Oddly enough I have had little to no time to grind on this event. Which makes me a bit sad since I'd like to try out a Grasshopper one of these days.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I had my best match in an INC-4 so far. Dealt over 800 damage. Overall INC-4 is an amazing mech for firesupport (and suits my playstyle far better than the Pirahna).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    I'm up a few hundred MC from the bags so far, so I can always just buy stuff, but... muh freebies!

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I need another mech bay sale

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited March 2019
    I swear, Gauss is super effective against my Huntsman. Every now and again I'll have a game go "pristine CT, one hit later no armour, one hit later dead" and it's always Gauss.

[edit] Can someone explain exactly how target lock and missile tracking work? In my experience, the moment you stop aiming at someone your lock is like a second away from dropping, and the moment it drops the missiles stop tracking and fly right into the nearest floor, forcing me to keep facing the target while my missiles fly, lest I waste them. Am I mistaken?

Glal on
    There are a lot of factors to target acquisition time and tracking length. Your skills and their skills, as relevant, if someone else in your company has a lock, whether they moved into an ECM bubble etc. I think targeting computers have an effect?

Usually you'll want to maintain a reticule over their box to maximize your chances. It varies by system, but without a lock LRMs just dumb fire into whatever you're looking at.

LRMs take a lot more skill to use well than people expect or give credit for.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    If you break the lock while the missiles are in flight they’ll just continue their trajectory, so sometimes you can still hit a slow/stationary target. Generally you gotta maintain the lock though

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    Yeah after minimum distance the missiles are armed, they just lose tracking

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I swear, Gauss is super effective against my Huntsman. Every now and again I'll have a game go "pristine CT, one hit later no armour, one hit later dead" and it's always Gauss.

[edit] Can someone explain exactly how target lock and missile tracking work? In my experience, the moment you stop aiming at someone your lock is like a second away from dropping, and the moment it drops the missiles stop tracking and fly right into the nearest floor, forcing me to keep facing the target while my missiles fly, lest I waste them. Am I mistaken?

There are some additional factors to consider as well:
    If you invest skill points into target retention, then it takes longer for you to lose your lock, which lets you hold lock on someone longer after they break line of sight.
    If your enemy invests skill points into radar decay (iirc) it reduces the time before you lose your lock on them, which means that after they break line of sight you will lose your lock faster.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    lazegamer wrote: »

Chaotic_Harmony isn't George Ledoux. He just has a good Duncan Fisher voice.

I think there's a video of the two meeting at Mech_Con.

sXXjb1B.png
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Yeah that video is adorable. Neither of them is prepared for how much alike they sound.

MechMantis wrote: »
    Yeah that video is adorable. Neither of them is prepared for how much alike they sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2VrouOssI

Ok, so after playing my Pirate's Bane with the speed tweak over armor I have to say that it is indeed much better with the speed. It allows me to run off, dodge and weave to safety more times than I would like to admit. One match it literally allowed me to stay alive far longer than I should have. I went off to flank the entire enemy team. Got spotted by a Phoenix Hawk and luckily me and another Pirate's Bane ran circles around it till it fell flat on its face. Then a Linebacker came to rumble with a few lights as backup. I managed to get away with just some armor plates left behind. Oh and it also allowed me to not only hit a Dire Wolf, but dodge his UAC2 spray.

So yeah, put me down as a big proponent to speed over armor for the Pirate's Bane.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Ok, so after playing my Pirate's Bane with the speed tweak over armor I have to say that it is indeed much better with the speed. It allows me to run off, dodge and weave to safety more times than I would like to admit. One match it literally allowed me to stay alive far longer than I should have. I went off to flank the entire enemy team. Got spotted by a Phoenix Hawk and luckily me and another Pirate's Bane ran circles around it till it fell flat on its face. Then a Linebacker came to rumble with a few lights as backup. I managed to get away with just some armor plates left behind. Oh and it also allowed me to not only hit a Dire Wolf, but dodge his UAC2 spray.

So yeah, put me down as a big proponent to speed over armor for the Pirate's Bane.

SkillTreePlsThx!

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    Nips wrote: »

SkillTreePlsThx!

I posted it in a reply to you earlier. Will go grab it tonight and post it again. DURING OOSIK NIGHT!!!

THAT'S RIGHT FOLKS! It is Thursday and that means it is Oosik Night.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Here's your code @Nips

a1f1f9fcc3459de560e0000008062101cf37f0000e86f635ea7660c000000

Where's the other Oosiks and lone Iron Oosik? We're in game and overheating. @Erlkönig

oosik_betsuni.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Restarted the campaign (after you have a lance consisting of Atlases with dual AC/20++s, what's next?) and what a difference experience makes. Just captured the Argo, and only one mech suffered some damage. Didn't manage to capture the Quickdraw, but got all 3 salvage from the ShadowHawk thanks to a lucky headshot. So I'm sitting on 2x ShadowHawk (AC/5, LLas, SRM2), the ancestral Blackjack (AC/10++, 3x MLas), and the starting Vindicator (PPC, MLas, SLas, LRM5). Not bad going into the third story mission.

Good drops tonight. Thanks for showing me the light @Nobody with the 4LB10X sandblaster Fafnir. Also thanks for joining us @Erlkönig on all assault drop night. Other than the two idiots tonight was fun. I even managed two 800+ damage matches in the Fafnir.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    A ballistic and SRM focused Orion in Battletech packs such an ungodly whallop. With 4+ dmg on each of my 3x SRM6 plus an AC10, it's a 276dmg alpha strike. Only the heaviest of Assault Mechs can take that kind of punishment to the centre torso area once without much trouble, everything else, especially if they're flanked or behind them, gets absolutely rinsed. It can almost knock down a heavy mech in one shot - incredible. I reckon the only thing that could see it bumped from my A Team is if I happen upon a King Crab to mount some AC20s on to join my 'Face Time Crew' (joining my Battlemaster with 195 melee dmg *chef kiss*)

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Good drops tonight. Thanks for showing me the light Nobody with the 4LB10X sandblaster Fafnir. Also thanks for joining us "Erlkönig" on all assault drop night. Other than the two idiots tonight was fun. I even managed two 800+ damage matches in the Fafnir.

I'm still surprised at how well that first match on Polar went. Sure, we didn't deal all that much damage (on account of having two folks on our team doing 1100+ damage)...but hot dang, I miss piloting that ol' Victor.

EDIT - and with the Civil War tech advance, it definitely earns the name I gave it way back then: Tunguska (as in the 2K22 'Tunguska' self-propelled AA gun/missile platform)

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    And picked up the Jaeger in mission 3! With a few random missions I'm now rolling with 3x Shadowhawks (all using the same armament as detailed above) plus a default Jaegermech. Once my repair + refit of the Centurion completes, I might just fit that thing with max armor and an AC/20 I bought and really start wrecking faces.

Looking at the new sale, I kinda want a Fafnir so I can go all Fleshreaper with it and collect torsos, but I already have a lot of assaults so it's hard to justify. The rest of the IS mechs don't really interest me.

Clan mechs, we have the Blood Asp which has some interesting builds, but I don't feel the need to run out and get one. The Black Lanner doesn't really fit a need that I currently have and Hellfire is, well, odd? I kinda don't see a point to it since the Ebon Jaguar and Hellbringer look like they do everything that it does, but better. The Incubus would fill a hole I have in light Clan mechs, but I almost never hear anybody talk about them so I dunno if it's worthwhile.

The Hellfire is a really weight efficient clan heavy. The HLF-2 with an XL280 is extremely efficient with 2xATM12s, ERSLs and possibly a tag.

Almost cracked 900 damage in a Raven last night. And my team still lost. We were up 5-3 in HPG and I was solo harassing a WHM under the dish, but I dropped down to see if any of the other remaining reds were easier pickings only to find out the other two enemies had cut down three friendlies, leaving me and a one-armed Spider against three Heavy+. We did not pull through.
    Only need 60 more bags for a freebie though!

Interesting.

I did some digging and a couple of Hellfires show up on tier lists, the A has a build that’s close to the Orion IIC’s brawl build while the hero has a good rated Gaussvomit one.

Hrm

Almost cracked 900 damage in a Raven last night. And my team still lost. We were up 5-3 in HPG and I was solo harassing a WHM under the dish, but I dropped down to see if any of the other remaining reds were easier pickings only to find out the other two enemies had cut down three friendlies, leaving me and a one-armed Spider against three Heavy+. We did not pull through.
    Only need 60 more bags for a freebie though!

This sadly is my experience piloting light mechs. Have an insanely awesome match with damage or kills? You end up realizing that you're the only one left to carry the team to victory (against Assaults and Heavies).

oosik_betsuni.png