As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Torchlight 3] Out now on Steam!

RoeRoe Always to the EastRegistered User regular
edited October 2020 in Games and Technology
TorchlightIII_KeyArt.jpg

Developed by Echtra games is the newest game in the Torchlight series, Torchlight 3.

Torchlight 3 is a top down action RPG made by some familiar faces in the business.

3 will have one price for the box game and includes all the dlc content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtFkucCCqUg

Torchlight III has a persistent online world that is populated by the players like games such as Path of Exile and the upcoming Diablo 4.

Torchlight III is more like games such as Diablo, more than the previous entrees in the series: buy with this in mind.

Torchlight 3 has been fully released on Steam.

oHw5R0V.jpg
Roe on

• SledGodSledGod Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    I have not really been able to find any details on what they mean by "MMO". I'm guessing it will probably like Destiny where you jump into different zones with a group or get teamed up with the randos in the area? Either way I'm psyched to return to Torchlight, as long as they don't turn it into some P2W nonsense.

SledGod on
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    SledGod wrote: »
    I have not really been able to find any details on what they mean by "MMO". I'm guessing it will probably like Destiny where you jump into different zones with a group or get teamed up with the randos in the area? Either way I'm psyched to return to Torchlight, as long as they don't turn it into some P2W nonsense.

I could be mistaken, but from what I understand is that it works like Marvel Heroes did. In that there will be large open zones where you'll see other players running around in (and working together to take down world bosses/events) but there will also be a bunch of instanced and procedurally generated dungeons that make up the bulk of the experience.

edit- the dungeon entrances would be in the open world zones.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    SledGod wrote: »

I could be mistaken, but from what I understand is that it works like Marvel Heroes did. In that there will be large open zones where you'll see other players running around in (and working together to take down world bosses/events) but there will also be a bunch of instanced and procedurally generated dungeons that make up the bulk of the experience.

Yeah these days this is basically what an MMO is. Hardly anybody seems interested in making true persistent worlds anymore, all the real gameplay is instanced and the "MMO" part mostly amounts to a social hub.

• Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    This looks like the "dungeon delver mmo" thing. Which was an evolution of what PSO did. Have social areas with all the players. Make parties. Go into instanced dungeon runs.

MMO really was never the term for that IMO, but who knows what the designation MMO even means anymore. It gets slapped onto almost anything anymore like Metroidvania and Roguelike.

I personally always used "quasi-mmo" for those types of PSO styles games. But yeah, they could use their own genre name.

More on topic, I am excited for Torchlight Frontiers.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Torchlight was hella good, but specifically as an indie Diablo clone. What team is doing this and do they have good experience, or are we hoping on a new team?

What is this I don't even.
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    This looks like the "dungeon delver mmo" thing. Which was an evolution of what PSO did. Have social areas with all the players. Make parties. Go into instanced dungeon runs.

MMO really was never the term for that IMO, but who knows what the designation MMO even means anymore. It gets slapped onto almost anything anymore like Metroidvania and Roguelike.

Guild Wars?

Guild Wars.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    Sounds like mostly the same people minus Erich Schaefer and Travis Baldree.

Max Schaefer (Diablo 1&2 and Torchlight 1&2) made this studio specifically to make this game, which is what OG Torchlight was supposed to be, but they lacked the resources to make.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I played the first two closed Alphas (only video and screenshots are under NDA, we can talk about experiences in it) and I'm hopeful that it'll be a fun game. There were some gameplay mechanics that I think really didn't work but they've been pretty open to changing them, this next Alpha test will be our first time getting to mess around with the major changes in action.

I will say it's clearly got some of the same charm that TL1/2 had but it's still hard to say directly "if you liked TL1 or 2 you'll like this!" because the skill systems (and number of skills, for that matter) are significantly different. Itemization still felt weird to me too but they've been making improvements here. I've been keeping my eye on this a lot though!

re: MMO qualities
    Axen wrote: »

This sums it up perfectly. There's a main town area and there's open fields where you'll run into randoms but then if you go into an instanced dungeon it's generally just you and your party. You can either go into "public" dungeon instances which are usually quest related and their entrances are available in the field. Otherwise there's Mapworks which makes its return where you can enter random areas with modifiers.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Wow, they've actually followed through on the plan. That's pretty damn cool.

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    How did I miss this thread?

Got picked for Alpha 1 and couldn't get enough of Alpha 2. Am looking forward to getting back into the shoes of a sentient, crab legged kettle furnace.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Playing Alpha right now. The game is really fun at its core and keeps getting better as you advance.

I like how they give you your fort at the start of the game now. It levels up as you level up and get more gold to spend.

The sound in the game is where it really shines. The orchestra that created music for Diablo 2 are behind it, and the scores add a lot of feeling that mix well with the graphics.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Still no alpha invite. :sad:

• IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    Played for about three hours. It's good! At least as good as Beta 2. About the only immediate shortcomings I've noticed are that the starting relic weapon (Blood Drinker) is either unimpressive or bugged, and the fort decorations no longer have those metal tanks and pipes that I loved so much.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
    I played most of the day today and it's actually quite improved over Alphas 1 and 2. It's actually been really stable and it's a pretty fun game to play as-is. It definitely doesn't have a ton of content yet and the quest design is...lacking, but for a nice casual arpg experience it does very well. Very, very satisfying to cut through large groups of goblins and netherlings, that's for sure.

There's a lot of little bugs but that's to be expected for an alpha. Some stuff just straight up is clearly placeholder. With that being said, my biggest concern for the game is that it might not get enough attention/players. Also if the monetization ends up being not great for some reason. They've been super communicative with players so far and willing to make changes based on feedback so that's very promising.

Oh boy do I love decorating my Fort!
    KwjBV6Q.png

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Check your inboxes! A new wave of invites went out this morning.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    VOD of today's Devstream.

Absolute distillation:
    • Battlepass.
    • Your favorite bugfixes.
    • April 2.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Also there's another active gleam for more keys: https://gleam.io/DUGii/torchlight-frontiers-update-4-preview-contracts

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Do you have to lay down the tracks for the train to be able to follow you, or is that just for combat positioning?

I love the idea of that class by its namesake, really reinforces the idea that this is steampunk goodness.

You do have to lay down the tracks yourself. Seems to be a toggle ability. I should've linked it above but here's the blogpost about the Railmaster's origins and gameplay.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    I do love me some creative classes, that's such a weird idea.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Really glad this was dropped here as I hadn't heard anything about this.

Loved Torchlight. I keep firing it up now and then to play around more, so I'd love new content from them (regardless of setting).

Signed up for Alpha, but I'm super curious what they do with this (and will likely be buying it when it releases regardless)

Nothing to buy unless you're talking about some kind of Founder's Pack - the game will be F2P.

Also, VOD of last week's Railmaster stream:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn6M3JP2Pfs

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • kaidkaid Registered User regular
    Okay the guy who lays track for his train pet is a really weird but fun idea. I am in when this thing comes out.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    How do I sign up to be disappointed that I dont have an invite? I cant find it on the site.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    Go to torchlightfrontiers.com and there should be a big orange button on the top-right that says "SIGN UP FOR BETA" or something like that.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Thanks, it doesnt show up on the mobile site, silly me.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    Trello roadmap.

Those upcoming starter Wardrobes look pretty tasty.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Update 6: Adept's Path is now live! This update revamps the Skill system into something closer to Diablo with one Skill Point gained per Frontier Level and more linear Skill Paths. You will also want to restart your Arc Launcher as an issue was preventing the "Play" button from turning on even after updating the game.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    Update 7: Beast Buddies is coming July 16.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    edited October 2019
    Just wanted to let you guys know that Echtra will be hosting a 24-hour stream for the Extra Life charity on November 2. If you want into the Alpha this is probably your best bet to get ahead of the invite lottery.

Those who are in the Alpha, be advised that a unique "Echtralife Retriever" pet can be redeemed for 0 gold from Trevail Point's Pet Vendor (from the warp point, head east then turn south just outside the main gate).

Ianator on
    steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    We live. And yes, if you donate before the event ends you will receive an Alpha key.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Odd, apparently I was invited into the alpha in April, but I never saw an email come over. Installing now!

96058.png?1619393207
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Starting to get the feeling this ain’t releasing in 2019.

YL9WnCY.png
    b6qhl7gmtggt.png

Safe to say you're probably right. Ask about it in the Discord and this is what you'll get, and I see this at least once a day.

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List
    On yesterday's Friday Funday stream they had Max Schafer for a good portion. At the end everyone got to drop a cryptic hint about the upcoming update.

Second one: "Remember how we said we weren't gonna do any wipes? That was more of a guideline than a hard and fast rule."

So yeah, Update 10 is gonna have some huge changes. You can watch the VOD here. Above part starts at about 58:30.

#SaveOurForts

steam_sig.png
    Backlog Challenge List