As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Options
    DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »
    Biggest problem with ESO was, is, and probably will remain is how fiddly the combat is, my dps should not go up and down by 300% because of split second time delay on mouse clicks. Would not be so bad, except some dungeon bosses have enrage timers.
    Still haven't dared to go into a veteran dungeon since i started playing again because i just don't trust my dps to get past 20k, even with decent gear and skills.
    Also the base UI/controls suck for the combat system that demands constant weapon switching and movement.
    Half tempted to try a controller.

But once you get past those issues, the game is fun to play and stories mostly well written.
    And surprisingly well populated.
    Sure it's not as full of people it once was, but for a game this old, there is a fairly decent amount of people playing and the lfg tool seems to actually work to get some dungeon runs in fairly decent time.

Really should get into housing side of the game, just need to find a million gold from somewhere to buy an actual house.

Which in turn means that if you're not interested in hardcore dungeons/trials... you're fine. Or, alternatively, roll a tank. God knows we need more tanks, and then attack weaving doesn't matter.

As for controllers: I got an MMO mouse for free way back in 2012 and haven't been able to go back since. Currently using a Logitech G600. It makes games like ESO *much* easier. I've got weapon swap keybound to the #7 button on the side, just below the 1-5 for my main skills. R is still Ultimate, as it's right next to my movement keys.

This is true. I tank, and all I do it poke things with a stick and try really hard not to die. And some folks in one of my guilds who do vet hard modes keep inviting me to come with them, so I guess I'm doing something right.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Doing the Summerset now, and who do i find? Well if it isn't my old friend Razum Dar, i sense good times ahead.
    Somehow i can't remember any import figures in any of the other factions.
    But this guy sticks to mind.
    Well, there is Stibbons and Lady Clarisse, those two are fun.
    But from major storyline npc's, nope, only Razum Dar sticks to mind.

There's brother and sister dunmer who seem to hate each other. Like, explorer and scholar always at odds?

And there's old mage man who is apparently known for being great and powerful.

And there's younger mage man who is extremely generic and always just looking into random things like a dwemer ruin or something.

And now in recent expansions they've also added Narcis Dren who is basically Gilderoy Lockhart from Harry Potter, always "I'm a great adventurer buy my book" while taking advantage of you and getting comeuppance.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Doing the Summerset now, and who do i find? Well if it isn't my old friend Razum Dar, i sense good times ahead.
    Somehow i can't remember any import figures in any of the other factions.
    But this guy sticks to mind.
    Well, there is Stibbons and Lady Clarisse, those two are fun.
    But from major storyline npc's, nope, only Razum Dar sticks to mind.
    Which in turn means that if you're not interested in hardcore dungeons/trials... you're fine. Or, alternatively, roll a tank. God knows we need more tanks, and then attack weaving doesn't matter.

As for controllers: I got an MMO mouse for free way back in 2012 and haven't been able to go back since. Currently using a Logitech G600. It makes games like ESO *much* easier. I've got weapon swap keybound to the #7 button on the side, just below the 1-5 for my main skills. R is still Ultimate, as it's right next to my movement keys.
    I am interested in trials, just not interested enough to go out and find a guild.
    And while its true to general gameplay is easy enough to not demand the mastery of the system, it is hardly a defense of the system when the difficulty comes from poor design, because i can't really see the attack weaving as good design, it's too vulnerable to so many variables, from frame rate, tiniest of stutters, lag, even sensitiveness of the mouse buttons.

Used to have a razer naga, have had 2 over time, but eventually both broke, one lasted for years, the other 6 months, made mmo's in general lot easier.
    Might get a logitech gaming mouse eventually, but really not interested in spending up to 60 euroes for a good gaming mouse right now, and, it really should not be needed.

Attack Weaving/animation canceling is from a bug that the team couldn't fix and just changed it to a feature. While I enjoy the depth it brings I don't like it being so important for something never explained in game not to mention it makes character animations really jerky.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    I don't think attack weaving adds any depth.
    It's just a thing you are required to do to not suck.
    And nowhere in game is it taught, to this day, i'm never sure if i am actually doing it.

• Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    And nowhere in game is it taught, to this day, i'm never sure if i am actually doing it.

It doesn't.

But unfortunately the flip side is that it really was impossible to fix. Trying to do so caused a whole ton of other bugs (mostly getting locked into animations, being unable to cast other things, etc), and made combat feel gross and sluggish. Iirc the biggest thing was that locking the animation prevented you from being able to block, dodge, bash, or activate defensive abilities on demand -- you had to wait for the basic / heavy attack animation to finish before blocking/dodging/using something like Defensive Posture. You can probably see why in a game like ESO, where block/bash is SO important to gameplay, that would be a big problem. Imagine seeing an enemy charge up one of those big attacks that you HAVE to interrupt... and being completely unable to respond to it because oops I just used Light Attack.

*edit* And listen, whatever solution you're thinking of was tried. Everything was either ridiculously complicated/time consuming to implement, or straight up didn't work.

It sucks, but sometimes game creation involves tradeoffs like that.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options

The definition of sucking is very subjective. For veteran dungeons, people recommend being able to hit 20k dps to have a comfortable run if you queue up as damage. People were regularly hitting 35 to 50k dps in tests and weaving probably isn't making up more than half of that damage.

Now veteran trials are going to be more demanding especially if you go after hard modes and leaderboards. But in terms of just doing the content in the game it's really not required. If my not exactly optimized stamblade could kill most non-veteran mobs in 3-4 hits if somehow none of them were critical then waiting a 2 seconds for one light attack animation to finish isn't going to tank my dps.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    One thing i really like about this game, is how inclusive it is.
    Like, there's a quest where i am sent to find this high elves little brother (by 3 whole minutes), the twist?
    She's actually her sister.
    The quest givers reaction was basicly "Ok" *hugs*
    No drama (atleast over gender), just pure acceptance without any comment.

• Options
    So uh. Very, very interesting story spoiler from the Elswyr prologue.
    Abnur Tharn was looking for Numidium. To end the Three Banners War.

Which. Is interesting, for a few reasons.

1. Uh, yeah. That'd end the war.
    2. We used to think that Tiber Septim BUILT the Hall of the Colossus, but apparently it was already there.
    3. There were dragons imprisoned there. I've seen some speculation that Numidium isn't even there at all, and that this was a lie that Tharn's half-sister told him to get him to release the dragons... but I think that someone like Tharn would have double checked.
    4. "Why wouldn't the dragons have just used Numidum though?" I think they literally can't. Numidium is antithetical to a dragon's nature. Like, the main thing we know it does is that it causes big fucking Dragon Breaks. Which would also mean that the place where Numidium is housed is a perfect place to imprison a bunch of dragons.

So... some people speculated when the teaser of the Wrathstone was first released that the face of a dragon, broken in two, meant a dragon break, especially when related to Tharn wanting to end the Three Banners War. They then were like "Nah, it can't possibly be that, because we know there are literal dragons, so that's all it is."

But again. The big huge thing Numidium does is cause dragon breaks. It did it twice. And once, it was in Rimmen, done by Tiber Septim himself.

Soooo I don't know, one possibility is that a dragon break is going to happen, which will open up a PVE version of Cyrodiil and a version of the Imperial City that's post-Planemeld, maybe even something we can rebuild a la Orsinium. The Break will allow us to still have PVP Cyrodiil, and maybe shut up all the whiners who bitch about ESO not being "canon."

• Options
    Well, that's interesting, currently busily doing the faction storylines before doing mainquest on an alt so haven't had time to do the prologue yet.
    Probably should soon(ish).
    Been avoiding the dlc areas because i don't want to do quest in unchronological order and meet npc's that appear in faction stories.
    Does that actually matter?
    Will, say, Razum Dar treat me differently if i have not done the dominion storyline?

• Options
    Well, that's interesting, currently busily doing the faction storylines before doing mainquest on an alt so haven't had time to do the prologue yet.
    Probably should soon(ish).
    Been avoiding the dlc areas because i don't want to do quest in unchronological order and meet npc's that appear in faction stories.
    Does that actually matter?
    Will, say, Razum Dar treat me differently if i have not done the dominion storyline?

I honestly don't know because I did it on a character who hadn't done the Dominion storyline.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    I think people hating on ESO as canon is a problem that resolved itself pretty quickly.

I mostly see people who care about the lore putting it up there with Morrowind in terms of contributions to canon, in fact.

• Options
    Well, canon in Elder Scrolls is kinda vague as it is.
    Cyrodiil was tropical, until it wasn't, because whatshisface changed it to different climate, and made it so it had always been that climate.
    Rewriting the past is fully within the setting rules.

• Options
    Cyrodiil was tropical, until it wasn't, because whatshisface changed it to different climate, and made it so it had always been that climate.

[Because current technology wasn't in a good place to render a dense jungle at the time IMO]

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options

[Because current technology wasn't in a good place to render a dense jungle at the time IMO]
    Well, yes.
    But retroactively rewriting history is still part of the universe canon.

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Guys, I'm feeling pretty lost.

Probably going to start another character yet again in ESO once the new chapter comes out since Necromancer is what I've wanted from the start and they won't let you class change even with tokens but theres so much damn content out now.

Once you get past the initial Molag Bol storyline, is there a cannonical order to tackle DLC? Do they acknowledge stuff from the original main questline even if you haven't finished it on a new character yet?

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    God, this free weekend makes me want to log in again.

• Options
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Probably going to start another character yet again in ESO once the new chapter comes out since Necromancer is what I've wanted from the start and they won't let you class change even with tokens but theres so much damn content out now.

Once you get past the initial Molag Bol storyline, is there a cannonical order to tackle DLC? Do they acknowledge stuff from the original main questline even if you haven't finished it on a new character yet?

The canonical order to tackle DLC is the order of release. Much of it didn't feel like it had a lot of overarching storyline to me until Morrowind, leading into Clockwork City, leading into Summerset. But apparently Wrothgar leads into Morrowind to begin with. I forget how it connected.

I don't know if any of it references the original main questline that much. Each new major DLC that has come out for a while now has started the player in that zone, doing that new DLC first before even being led to the original main questline. I assume they'll do it again, new necromancers will start in Elsweyr with an all new intro quest. Don't quote me on that though.

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular

The canonical order to tackle DLC is the order of release. Much of it didn't feel like it had a lot of overarching storyline to me until Morrowind, leading into Clockwork City, leading into Summerset. But apparently Wrothgar leads into Morrowind to begin with. I forget how it connected.

I don't know if any of it references the original main questline that much. Each new major DLC that has come out for a while now has started the player in that zone, doing that new DLC first before even being led to the original main questline. I assume they'll do it again, new necromancers will start in Elsweyr with an all new intro quest. Don't quote me on that though.

It's more then likely at this point, yeah. Just makes for a growing bit of weirdness that you start at the time of Morrowind/Summerset/Elsweyr but then get tricked into walking into the wrong house soon after to get stabbed back in time.

• Options

There's a definitely connecting point at the end of Orsinium that reflects the main quest and leads into Morrowind plus one particular book in the DLC bridging the main quest with events in Summerset. A side quest from Dark Brotherhood also leads into a Morrowind side quest plus some tie ins to the main quest. Summerset has a strong link to the main quest. Morrowind's main quest doesn't have much linking to the main quest so much as events rely on the main quest having been finished by someone.

Steam Profile
  • Options

There's a definitely connecting point at the end of Orsinium that reflects the main quest and leads into Morrowind plus one particular book in the DLC bridging the main quest with events in Summerset. A side quest from Dark Brotherhood also leads into a Morrowind side quest plus some tie ins to the main quest. Summerset has a strong link to the main quest. Morrowind's main quest doesn't have much linking to the main quest so much as events rely on the main quest having been finished by someone.

that reminds me that I have to finish the Naryu stuff in Morrowind and maybe even the whole main quest in Summerset on my Khajiit Nightblade, because even if my dunmer DK is my main, it feels right to have my khajiit nightblade do Elswyr (same way said nightblade did Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, but none of my other characters have.)

god, I *really* need a better build for her tho. Mostly, I need a second stamina armor set -- current set is the whole Night Mother's Embrace + Night Terror, which is amazing for Sacraments / Heists / general skulldruggery, but not much else.

• Options

that reminds me that I have to finish the Naryu stuff in Morrowind and maybe even the whole main quest in Summerset on my Khajiit Nightblade, because even if my dunmer DK is my main, it feels right to have my khajiit nightblade do Elswyr (same way said nightblade did Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, but none of my other characters have.)

god, I *really* need a better build for her tho. Mostly, I need a second stamina armor set -- current set is the whole Night Mother's Embrace + Night Terror, which is amazing for Sacraments / Heists / general skulldruggery, but not much else.

Not that I've played in a long time, but Hunding's Rage is a pretty safe bet for stamina sets that is easy to craft. I was running that with Spriggan's Thorns as a budget but effective setup on my stamblade.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    I won't say which, but a friend of yours in one dlc/expansion ends up one of the main villains of another.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • Options
    I'm definitely levelling a dunmer necromancer (vampire for bonus evil points i think).
    Not sure how deep i will go with one because, as i have found while playing my nightblade through the old contenct before i hit the dlc's, there is a huge gap between what skillpoints a character like my sorc who has gone through most of the content, and one who has merely levelled up has.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    So this is free for the weekend and I'm inclined to try. Last time I tried it out I ended up on Reguard island which was really boring and monotonous. Is there a better starting zone?

• Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    If you mean post-tutorial zone, that's dependent on which race you pick. You'd have to unlock either Imperials or the ability to choose your own faction to match your preferred race to group (and thus zone).

Also this only applies if you're planning on starting with the core game's story. Otherwise you end up following the storyline of the expansion zone the tutorial you played dumped you in.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Lemmie put it a different way.

I'm coming in fresh, what faction should I do? And how do Imperials work? Do I need DLC or?

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Enc wrote: »
    So this is free for the weekend and I'm inclined to try. Last time I tried it out I ended up on Reguard island which was really boring and monotonous. Is there a better starting zone?

I could be wrong (I usually am :lol: ), but I think the base game now includes Morrowind, so all new characters start in Morrowind. It's also possible that the free weekend means you get to play the Summerset Isle expansion (but I doubt it), which means new characters will start there instead.

If not, or if it is but you want to go back to a racial starting zone anyway... I'm quite fond of the Aldmeri Dominion start. Khenarthi's Roost is a fun little island, and you get to work with one of the best NPCs in the game... so that means playing high elf, wood elf, or khajiit.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    As factions go, Ebonheart Pact is my favorite (yet somehow both of my characters are daggerfall alliance).
    Of faction stories, Aldmeri Dominion may be the best, though that may be just because Razum Dar is so awesome (there's also pretty nice appearance from uncle Sheggy in one of the zones).
    The best starting area is in Ebonheart Pact though, it throws you straight in the story.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    As factions go, Ebonheart Pact is my favorite (yet somehow both of my characters are daggerfall alliance).
    Of faction stories, Aldmeri Dominion may be the best, though that may be just because Razum Dar is so awesome (there's also pretty nice appearance from uncle Sheggy in one of the zones).
    The best starting area is in Ebonheart Pact though, it throws you straight in the story.

The problem with Ebonheart Pact is that it's ... so full of Nords. /grimace

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options

The problem with Ebonheart Pact is that it's ... so full of Nords. /grimace

Counterpoint: Lusty Argonians.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Yeah, doing the EP faction questline atm, at the Rift portion, and one of the missions is about listening the story or Ysgramor.
    It's basicly about them bragging how the genocided everyone.
    But then again, Redguards had a similar mission.

• Options
    Yeah, doing the EP faction questline atm, at the Rift portion, and one of the missions is about listening the story or Ysgramor.

Tamriel has one of the highest level of jerks per capita of a fantasy setting.

Steam Profile
  • Options

Tamriel has one of the highest level of jerks per capita of a fantasy setting.
    I like Khajiit.
    Next up: Elsweyr, where we find out why the Khajiit are the biggest monsters in the world.
    Only half joking.

• Options
    See I play an orc. And orcs, by and large, are pretty decent. Except that ONE guy. And his mother. Screw them.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    See I play an orc. And orcs, by and large, are pretty decent. Except that ONE guy. And his mother. Screw them.
    Except for the rather male supremacist culture thing.
    I usually play dunmer, and they are horrible, horrible people.

• Options
    Oh yeah the orc culture is kinda fucked up. Especially if you see it through the eyes of a female gamer, like I do.

But its not GENOCIDE fucked up, so for Tamriel, that ain't half bad.

Though in game my female orc became chief of the Shatul clan, so ESO allows you to blunt the edges of the orc patriarchy a bit if you want.

• Options
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Oh yeah the orc culture is kinda fucked up. Especially if you see it through the eyes of a female gamer, like I do.

But its not GENOCIDE fucked up, so for Tamriel, that ain't half bad.

Though in game my female orc became chief of the Shatul clan, so ESO allows you to blunt the edges of the orc patriarchy a bit if you want.

It makes me sad that you can't go back to those guys and like, keep being their clan chief. Like one of them calls you out on it like "This isn't just some weird lark for you, right? You're not gonna abandon us and go off doing... whatever it is people like you do?"

And I'm like buddy if the game would let me come back and just sit around cooking stew for you all day or whatever, I would.

• Options
    It's a major failing of the genre.
    We are not allowed to be anything, to stay and become a real part of the world.
    Instead we are always moving on to next catastrophy, the new shiny object, the new zone/quest/expansion/etc...
    And rarely, if ever, come back to see how the people we met on the way are doing now, because everyone, and everything, is frozen in time.

• Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    I finally bought this and summerset for cheap, although it looks like there's a crap ton of other DLC I might want to eventually buy. I'm kind of resigned to just doing the zone stories out of any particular order. I'm 1/4 into morrowind where my nightblade started, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't somehow find the aldmeri dominion zone first? Although I feel like the fact that the game just kind of starts you randomly in different zones indicates maybe zone order isn't all the important in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I've done one dungeon as dps and I was maybe contributing? I have no idea how to min/max and I'm not entirely sure I want to. I'm currently running an elric RP on the nightblade, so I'm mostly about duel-wielding and sucking the life force out of things. It's fun though, I'm having fun wandering around and finding various stories. Level 15 I think now? The art seems a little dated at times, but I find the stories are detailed and well done and I like the stuff with the tribunal in Morrowind, randomly possessing followers to talk to me, etc. Fun stuff. I find the combat with a ps4 controller fun, I think I would actually like the game less on PC. Same with STO right now honestly.

Anyway, not much to say other than I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm probably doing everything out of order, but I'm having fun.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    soylenth wrote: »
    I finally bought this and summerset for cheap, although it looks like there's a crap ton of other DLC I might want to eventually buy. I'm kind of resigned to just doing the zone stories out of any particular order. I'm 1/4 into morrowind where my nightblade started, but I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't somehow find the aldmeri dominion zone first? Although I feel like the fact that the game just kind of starts you randomly in different zones indicates maybe zone order isn't all the important in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I've done one dungeon as dps and I was maybe contributing? I have no idea how to min/max and I'm not entirely sure I want to. I'm currently running an elric RP on the nightblade, so I'm mostly about duel-wielding and sucking the life force out of things. It's fun though, I'm having fun wandering around and finding various stories. Level 15 I think now? The art seems a little dated at times, but I find the stories are detailed and well done and I like the stuff with the tribunal in Morrowind, randomly possessing followers to talk to me, etc. Fun stuff. I find the combat with a ps4 controller fun, I think I would actually like the game less on PC. Same with STO right now honestly.

Anyway, not much to say other than I have no idea what I'm doing, I'm probably doing everything out of order, but I'm having fun.

You'll want to do the alliance questline zones in order (Khenarthi's Roost -> Auridon-> Grahtwood -> Greenshade -> Malabal Tor -> Reaper's March) so that the story makes sense.

That said, don't worry about when you do them. Feel free to explore whatever DLC zones you want first, or play through multiple zones concurrently.