As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Android] Thread v. 2018: Pixel 6 is out. Google might be bad at phones.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Pocket Casts did a full UI overhaul, with dark theme as default!

But. They completely nuked my queue, including now-playing. Which was a bit jarring. Swipe-right-to-queue is nice, but I'd like customization because I'd prefer swipe left to be "mark as played" instead of "archive"

Mugsley on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »
    Pocket Casts did a full UI overhaul, with dark theme as default!

But. They completely nuked my queue, including now-playing. Which was a bit jarring. Swipe-right-to-queue is nice, but I'd like customization because I'd prefer swipe left to be "mark as played" instead of "archive"

I was pretty salty about losing my queue.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I'm pretty unhappy with the overhaul. It's just too cluttered without any thought as to what works together.

Like the four icons on the bottom; two are for your current library, one is to shop, and one is for your 'profile' which now had been pushed to the main screen. Seems like been obvious data collection/engagement rate stuff that I don't like.

The hamburger menu now just pulls up visual settings. I feel like they've made listening to podcasts a secondary activity.
    In other news, old man subscribes to cloud-related podcast.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Also, in the old UI I used the new releases filter to go through and multi-select whatever episodes I wanted to listen to. Then it was a single click to add them all to up next.

Now I have to use the unplayed filter and swipe+click each episode to add.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yeah the new layout is awful. I'm getting used to it, but it's not great.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    It's infuriating how the fact that Amazon has launched in Australia means that you now cannot buy anything from Amazon USA.

There's a tempered glass screen protector combo I want for my 6T, which comes with an alignment frame. Aligning the protector is always the bit that I struggle with, so I immediately lit up at the idea of one that ships with a frame to align things.

It used to be perfectly fine to buy literally anything you wanted that was on the website, as long as you were willing to pony up a little extra for shipping, even from third parties (it was still fulfilled by Amazon, after all)

But now that they exist in Australia, you can't buy anything at all from them if it's from a third party seller. Even when it clearly says on the front that it ships to Australia. Previously if this message was there, you could order it fine - I ordered dozens of things. This would be fine if the Australian site had everything the USA site does, but it doesn't.

5rqimiurizc9.png

wmvjeabd1wbj.png

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    My V30 just had an update that specified it was just a security update. After updating, several things have changed; so far I've noticed the native text app has uglified (changing its theme from yellow to diarrhea brown for some reason, but not its icon), and the AOD - at least the option I use, the phone has several choices - has changed to an uglier (and bolder) font and shifted the power & notification icons below the clock rather than above it. I'm sure there'll be others I haven't found yet.*

Firstly, I'm not really sure what LG are thinking (look, I liked the aesthetics I had, why do they need to be fucked with?), but also why have the update explicitly labelled as a security update only when it clearly isn't?

Annoying.

* - Five days later edit: there haven't been.**

** - Five days after that: apparently the selfie cam grew a portrait mode. So that's neat, at least. (I've got used to the AOD font now, but it's still weird that it's different from the lock screen one which is unchanged.)

Jazz on
  • Options
    jjae2123jjae2123 Registered User regular
    OG Pixel is getting Q if the beta is to be believed!

• Options
    IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Seems like my Nexus 5X just randomly succumbed to the fatal bootloop issue. I very urgently need a successor. To that end, I have two simple questions:
    - Is the most similar phone the original Pixel?
    - If not, what is?

If you could @ me in any replies, I'd appreciate it.

IceBurner on
    3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • Options
    IceBurner wrote: »
    Seems like my Nexus 5X just randomly succumbed to the fatal bootloop issue. I very urgently need a successor. To that end, I have two simple questions:
    - If not, what is?

Depending on your price range, all generations of the Pixel are similar and viable alternatives.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    - If not, what is?

Depending on your price range, all generations of the Pixel are similar and viable alternatives.

@IceBurner. Having had the Nexus 5 and now the Pixel 3 with wife on a Pixel XL can confirm.

My Moto DROID was pretty solid as well if not a little old. You will get more junk apps - depending on carrier - than a Pixel which is too bad.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Oneplus 6t

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Assuming you don't want to pay premium prices ($750+), most similar are:
    OP 6T (if you're on T-Mobile, they have them in-store now)
    Whatever Nokia fits your budget, probably the 7.1
    Used Pixel 1/2

@IceBurner

• Options
    Waiting to hear reviews, but if you want something gigantic the new Xperia phones are out now/soon.

• Options
    Thank you. I've got an original Pixel coming Wednesday. If I like it, I'm ordering another, they're cheap enough to come in under $300 for both.

My phone before the Nexus 5X predates Android and iOS, and can't be activated with my carrier any more. I need a viable backup phone. Not so much because I can't live without a pocket computer, but because I can't even call or text!

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Galaxy Note 9 on Verizon.

Got my update to Pie finally today. Looks amazing.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Q is pretty great and I haven't noticed any glaring bugs or anything. Highly recommend doing the OTA if you're comfortable with it and on a Pixel.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I've been holding off on updating Pocket Casts because of the near universal dislike of the new UI. I don't often queue up more than one or two podcasts at a time, but they've so drastically changed how the entire app works I'm in no rush to update it. I'm not interested in finding a new podcast app because I do use the PC version of Pocket Casts, and I'm not aware of any other podcast apps that offer syncing between multiple devices.

It would be nice if there was a repository for old versions of apps so people could go back to an older version of an app. There are ways to back up and internally sign free apps, but paid versions of apps require rooted a rooted phone.

I made the mistake up updating Weather Timeline after they removed Dark Sky as the main source of weather information. I was so dissatisfied with the new version of Weather Timeline that I switched over to the Dark Sky app itself. The interface is nowhere near as good but the forecast and precipitation warnings are back to what I'm used to.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    You may like Droplet Overdrop. It's what I'm currently using for weather.

Edit: I've been misnaming that app since I got it

Mugsley on
  • Options
    I've been using wunderground for my forecasts. Straightforward

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Dell Mobile Connect put out a substantial update that tightens up the UI, improves upon but doesn't really add any features...and unfortunately wrecks connectivity with your actual Android phone. "Phone is disconnected?" has gone from being a occasional occurrence to a basically 50/50.

More reasonably, Dell also pulling started blocking installation of the app unless you're on Dell hardware. Fair enough. End up going back to the default 'Your Phone' app in Windows 10. The preview builds include Phone Mirroring, though sadly no input over the app (I think), nor calling.

Oh well. Still better than basically having to restart your phone at least once, 50% of the time you decide to use the app.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Thank you. I've got an original Pixel coming Wednesday. If I like it, I'm ordering another, they're cheap enough to come in under $300 for both.

My phone before the Nexus 5X predates Android and iOS, and can't be activated with my carrier any more. I need a viable backup phone. Not so much because I can't live without a pocket computer, but because I can't even call or text!
    Well, that "refurbished" Pixel lasted a week. Battery indicator was all over the place throughout. As I guessed was coming, it gave up the ghost this morning. Seemed like it might have been a solid phone if not for that. Too bad it's impossible to get new now.

I'm back on my pre-Android phone, which is still going strong after 15 years. They just don't make 'em like they used to. For all the fuss about it no longer being supported, activating itself myself worked just fine.

Let's hope my good ol' Nexus 7 tablet keeps going, or I won't have any way to listen to music at work. Just wish it wasn't stuck on Android 5.

IceBurner on
  • Options
    Wow. That's impressive. I didn't think there were any of those left in the wild.

Both of our Nexususes 7s burned out long ago.

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I still use my Nexus 7 as my Kindle and to control Hysolid media player which only works on old ass versions of Android. The battery life certainly isn't what it used to be, but I prefer it to my even older Kindle Keyboard. One of these days if I actually start reading books again (I read a lot of Manga on my Surface 3) with any regularity I'll get a new Kindle or one of the Kobo devices.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    IanatorIanator Gaze upon my works, ye mighty and facepalm.Registered User regular
    The only problem I've had with my Nexus 7 is the audio port getting staticy when the jack gets moved, and that's because it's gotten dropped and pulled the plug more times than I'd like to admit. I'd kinda like to get that fixed, too.

steam_sig.png
    Twitch | Blizzard: Ianator#1479 | 3DS: Ianator - 1779 2336 5317 | FFXIV: Iana Ateliere (NA Sarg)
    Backlog Challenge List
  • Options
    The Libby app breathed new life into my Kindle. Now I read every night.

@IceBurner depending on your budget, you may get lucky with a new or lightly used Pixel 2 floating around.

My Pixel 3 I grabbed on eBay after the Holiday, when I knew there would be a glut of people who received them as gifts and "just wanted an iPhone." I managed to pick it up for the same price as it is now with a price reduction (granted it's probably still too high but at the time, getting a $900 phone for 2/3 the price was a no-brainer).

• Options
    Turns out the ancient pre-Android phone still does have issues with some new format messages, so I don't have a choice but to keep hunting for something.

At this point, I'd consider a new or well-cared-for Pixel 2 (or lovingly-used OG Pixel) since I can keep Android 8 on it, but Google's now out of stock, and I don't know anyone with one to begin wtih, much less willing to part with it. Buying used online is such a crapshoot...

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    This update honest to god looks like it was designed by a toddler. How did a group of adults release this thinking it was good. And they removed the useful active-apps browsing screen to instead straight up copy iOS's worthless apps browser.

I'm actually looking at Windows phones, because this is the worst shit I've ever seen. They deleted the messages widget! For no reason! It was so useful! Assholes!

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Every time I open an app now I just make a disgusted noise. Christfuck. This is so clearly designed by and/for children under the age of 10 with its cartoony icons and obnoxious colors and gigantic rounded text balloons. Awful. I can't remember the last time I was this pissed off at a software update for something.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    I'm actually looking at Windows phones, because this is the worst shit I've ever seen.
    Windows 10 Mobile is EOL on the 19th of December.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    i'm salty they are getting rid of inbox. i much prefer that layout to the tabs

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I'm actually looking at Windows phones, because this is the worst shit I've ever seen.
    Windows 10 Mobile is EOL on the 19th of December.

Fucking christ. Can I just stop having a phone? Is that a thing? All of these options fucking suck. God damn it. Fucking google and their race to the bottom with Apple.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    Agreed, I didn't like it at first but came around a couple of years after it launched and forced myself to stick with it for a month. Ended up loving Inbox.

So naturally Google is going to kill it and they don't have bundles in Gmail (the dumb tabs provided aren't even ones that I find useful). And the reminders are convenient because they're the same as Assistant, but I really can't see myself using tasks in Gmail.
    Every time I open an app now I just make a disgusted noise. Christfuck. This is so clearly designed by and/for children under the age of 10 with its cartoony icons and obnoxious colors and gigantic rounded text balloons. Awful. I can't remember the last time I was this pissed off at a software update for something.
    What update are you talking about?

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    mts wrote: »
    Agreed, I didn't like it at first but came around a couple of years after it launched and forced myself to stick with it for a month. Ended up loving Inbox.

So naturally Google is going to kill it and they don't have bundles in Gmail (the dumb tabs provided aren't even ones that I find useful). And the reminders are convenient because they're the same as Assistant, but I really can't see myself using tasks in Gmail.
    What update are you talking about?

I'm now discovering that it may just be a Samsung Experience update that's turned my phone into iOS By Way Of Fisher Price, so that's more comforting at least than Google releasing this mess.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Yeah I was going to say there's no new updates that I've seen.

The best choice for Android software usability remains OnePlus, with Pixel a close second.

• Options
    Yeah I'd been planning to stay on the S8 for awhile because it still works well but I may need to do an emergency switcharoo here, this honestly feels like an OS you'd find on a tablet designed for babies and/or really, really old people.

• Options
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Yeah I was going to say there's no new updates that I've seen.

The best choice for Android software usability remains OnePlus, with Pixel a close second.

Unless you want a headphone jack in which case is pretty much Samsung or bust.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Maybe the pixel 4 will have a headphone jack.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Maybe the pixel 4 will have a headphone jack.

nopeeeeeee

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I suddenly feel mildly comforted by LG on Android 8.0 being relatively unterrible. Relatively. Certainly compared to the above.

Android 9.0 I can't say. I already know that 9.0 adds that obnoxious fucking search bar that you can't remove because we're Google and we know better than you go fuck yourself consumer, making a different launcher basically a requirement.