As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Streaming box that has a remote with a easy interface

Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better.Registered User regular
So I cut the cord at my moms place and got her to use Hulu. It’s great, but she’s having a tough time with the phone interface. So I wonder if there’s a more traditional ‘box’ that uses a remote and is able to stream Hulu with an intuitive interface.

Any suggestions?

• Options
    E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    Firestick is pretty user friendly. What do you have hulu installed on that requires a phone as a remote though?

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Maybe one of those new touchscreen TV remotes?

Yeah Fire stick is good, Roku is good too. They've got sticks and boxes.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Get the Roku Streaming Stick+. It plugs into a HDMI port and has TV controls on it, so you can set it up to turn the TV on and off and adjust the volume. It won't work if you have external sound equipment, but if you just use the TV for sound it's great.

Don't use the TV's USB port for power if you can help it, though. Some TVs don't provide enough power for some apps to run.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Right now I’m using a few standard Chromecasts plug in to some TVs.

I tried using the smart tv stuff but it’s way too slow and cumbersome for her.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Honestly the PlayStationTV is really popular with older folks and you can pair it with PS Vue really easily. There's also the standard Firestick/Roku, or even an older console like a 360/PS3 (they both have standard TV remote controllers too).

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    The roku is probably best. It has all the common stuff and Amazon. Not sure if it has Google though otherwise it's be perfect. We have a chromecast and roku on our TV. Mainly because we can't get Amazon on the chromecast but we also get a lot of TV station access through parents cable accounts

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    My mom has a an Amazon FireTV and the controls are pretty simple. I had to get her something I could set up and not worry about. Once in a while she still calls and asks a specific service (HBOGo, Netflix, etc) but it's always been a reauthorize I can do for her from my PC or an issue with that service.

I have her on my Amazon, HBOGo and Netflix accounts. She loves it.

Edit: FireTV has an actual remote. I don't know if the stick products do. I use a Chromecast and it would definitely be too much for her.

dispatch.o on
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    My mom has a an Amazon FireTV and the controls are pretty simple. I had to get her something I could set up and not worry about. Once in a while she still calls and asks a specific service (HBOGo, Netflix, etc) but it's always been a reauthorize I can do for her from my PC or an issue with that service.

Edit: FireTV has an actual remote. I don't know if the stick products do. I use a Chromecast and it would definitely be too much for her.

They do. The remote is really simple, and newer ones have Alexa voice control built into the remote as well.

LostNinja on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    dispatch.o wrote: »

They do. The remote is really simple, and newer ones have Alexa voice control built into the remote as well.

In addition, the FireTV Cube has the ability to work as a universal remote for your entire TV setup, along with voice control. Being able to say "Alexa, turn on the TV" and have everything turned on correctly is a bit mindblowing.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I like the fire tv a lot, the cub misfires a bit on the Alexa. I’m not sure if it’s mine or in general, but the regular fire tv and the stick work just fine.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i like the Roku remote though mine will activate if you look at it; it is super sensitive

camo_sig.png