As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Got two wins last night, which is very unusual for me as I'm terrible. The first one, I did literally nothing. 0 damage, 0 kills. We didn't find anyone until the very end, and I was super far behind when the other two were cleaning up the last two groups fighting.

The second win was probably my best ever though. We hot dropped Artillery and I managed to get a Spitfire as my first gun, which made quick work of the Wraith trying to punch me. Cleaned up the rest of that group pretty easily, and then went out to the overlook above Cascades and got a steady drip of 4-5 groups all wandering into us and getting killed over the next 10 minutes. Walked over to the little overlook building halfway to Slum Lakes and camped there until the last two groups converged and fought, then hopped in and cleaned them up through the smoke. In all, I got 6 kills and traded off with my fellow teammate for kill leader.

Spitfire best gun.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    R-99 is best gun. Selectfire prowler is second best gun. 301 is third best gun. Spitfire is fourth best gun. Wingman is fifth best gun. Devotion is sixth best gun. Havoc is 7th best gun. Flatline is 8th best gun. Hemlock is 9th next gun. Triple take is 10th best gun. Scout is 11th best gun. Re-45 is 12th best gun. Alternator is 13th best gun. Longbow is 14th best gun. Eva is 15th best gun. Peacekeeper is 16ty best gun. P2020 is 17th best gun. Mozambique is also best gun.

616610-1.png
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    I think hemlock's utility is directly proportional to one's ability to do rapid mario-party style button mashing. Because in single fire mode, each single bullet amounts to a weak tickle, but you can tap it so damn fast that it almost qualifies as a good gun, especially early on.

Also I'd put personally put Alternator far above RE-45. It is my favorite light ammo user, though I'm warming up to the r99.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Single Fire Hemlok wrecks face. There's really no reason to use the burst except up close, since the spread of the burst fire is so wide.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Single Fire Hemlok wrecks face. There's really no reason to use the burst except up close, since the spread of the burst fire is so wide.

I think the burst gets real good at full purple, though. It doesn't kick much then and you can put bullets downrange way faster.

What is this I don't even.
    edited March 2019
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

I think the burst gets real good at full purple, though. It doesn't kick much then and you can put bullets downrange way faster.

Yeah, the kick management with good barrel stabilizer and stock is reaaally nice. It becomes the Battle Rifle from Halo really quickly.

My problem is I pair it with R99 so the good mods I find usually go on that one

Local H Jay on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    The irony of a person named "StayDontRun" bailing before we could grab his banner and revive him is hilarious to me. Wait 10 fucking seconds to see if we win the fight before quitting out for shits sake

edited March 2019
    I used to prefer the hemlock to the flatline but then I realized while hemlock is a bit better single shot, full auto flatline is like if carbine and spitfire had a much less awesome baby

So I slightly prefer that not great baby

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    I dig the Hemlock as a second when I'm carrying a sniper or shotgun. The fact that I can use the single fire for precision damage or the burst for mid-close range means I'm a lot more comfortable carrying it than, say, a Peacemaker and an R-301. I love the 301 but I can't hit anything at long range with it.

But when I've got a Spitfire, it almost doesn't matter what my second gun is.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Disrupter wrote: »
    I used to prefer the hemlock to the flatline but then I realized while hemlock is a bit better single shot, full auto flatline is like if carbine and spitfire had a much less awesome baby

So I slightly prefer that not great baby

I don't hate the flatline at all, especially early game because it's totally fine without any attachments and I can actually hit some crits and get a respectable ttk out of it.

It's that part of the week where I max out XP on Octane and Pathy and wanna play them anyways
    https://youtu.be/BUxUI53UrXc

edited March 2019
    Terrendos wrote: »
    I dig the Hemlock as a second when I'm carrying a sniper or shotgun. The fact that I can use the single fire for precision damage or the burst for mid-close range means I'm a lot more comfortable carrying it than, say, a Peacemaker and an R-301. I love the 301 but I can't hit anything at long range with it.

Not sure if you know this but the 301 also has single fire for better ranged. It’s not as good at it as the hemlock imo but it’s still pretty solid

And the 301 melts mid and close compared to hemlock

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
    Disrupter wrote: »
    Terrendos wrote: »

Not sure if you know this but the 301 also has single fire for better ranged. It’s not as good at it as the hemlock imo but it’s still pretty solid

And the 301 melts mid and close compared to hemlock

Oh yeah, the 301 is great close, but I think I can't compensate for the bullet drop at long range, even with single shot on.

I should probably use the Wingman more too, now that I think about it. I usually ignore it because I'm not "pro" but I picked one up in a hot drop and got my first full team kill with it last night.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    All guns are pretty bad in my hands, but the Havoc is the most bad.

I think I would take just about any other gun, including the Mozambique, over the Havoc during an initial drop fight. Maybe with attachments it can become worthwhile, but in that case I'm using those attachments on superior versions of what Havoc is supposed to do.

All they gotta do is make it so Heavy mags work on Havoc and it would be ok. The fact it's stuck at such low ammo cripples it.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah if you're offering me a Havoc with 24 shots or a Flatline with 36, I'm taking the Flatline kthxbye.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The Havoc packs more damage per mag than any of the other ARs do prior to upgrades, has way more predictable recoil than the flatline, way better DPS, and way better projectile speed.

cB557 wrote: »
    The Havoc packs more damage per mag than any of the other ARs do prior to upgrades, has way more predictable recoil than the flatline, way better DPS, and way better projectile speed.

Yeah but with so precious few bullets to work with, it's really not optimal. In the heat of battle, you're gonna whiff a fair amount of shots. This is why I'm leaning towards guns with deeper clips and automatic rifles more and more, while getting away from the Wingman/Peacekeeper. Both of those were monsters pre-nerf, but after I prefer R99, R301, Spitfire or Devotion than Havoc/Shotguns/pistols.

Being able to miss, adjust aim, and still take someone down is invaluable to me with how the lag/latency operates in this game. I can't tell you how many times I'm seemingly missing Peacekeeper shots despite aiming dead on, and the game seems to favor guns that can spray large amounts of damage at a hitbox up close.

Idk that's just my take, I'm sure a case can be made for every gun but the Havoc has gotten me killed more than it's ever helped. I have better luck slide-punching hapless enemies in the dick 4 times than using Havoc.

Havoc and peacekeeper are my fav guns to get on drop but I hate them after the first fight

616610-1.png
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    I have an easier time killing strafe-dodgers (and most everyone else, for that matter) with the Havoc than with most other guns.
    The ADS grouping is suuuuuper tight, and the way it spools up means that even if you miss a shot or two you are not necessarily going to lose a damage race.
    I had a game the other night wherein the final team came running in; I was able to empty just one Havoc magazine before being downed, but I managed to get several headshots spread across two people with that one mag. My teammates finished the job almost instantly.

The Havoc does a lot of damage very fast. The main tweak I would like to see is a very slightly faster reload speed.

cB557 wrote: »

Yeah but with so precious few bullets to work with, it's really not optimal. In the heat of battle, you're gonna whiff a fair amount of shots. This is why I'm leaning towards guns with deeper clips and automatic rifles more and more, while getting away from the Wingman/Peacekeeper. Both of those were monsters pre-nerf, but after I prefer R99, R301, Spitfire or Devotion than Havoc/Shotguns/pistols.

Being able to miss, adjust aim, and still take someone down is invaluable to me with how the lag/latency operates in this game. I can't tell you how many times I'm seemingly missing Peacekeeper shots despite aiming dead on, and the game seems to favor guns that can spray large amounts of damage at a hitbox up close.

Idk that's just my take, I'm sure a case can be made for every gun but the Havoc has gotten me killed more than it's ever helped. I have better luck slide-punching hapless enemies in the dick 4 times than using Havoc.
    But the Havoc is good at that. Like, it has less shots in the mag than a purple mag R301, but those R301 shots deal so much less damage and are fired so much faster that it's not really any more forgiving on that front. And before you've got purple mags? Go into training and dump the mags of a Havoc and and R301 into one of the targets and see how much more damage is in the Havoc mag, how many shots you can miss and still kill without needing to reload.

When I pull the trigger, the 301 shoots bullets. When I pull the trigger on a Havoc, nothing comes out until I am already half dead.

Some guns work good on paper, dude, but in your hands have a different response. That's touch and feel and balance.

I can imagine the Havoc is a lot friendlier to use on PC where aiming is less of an issue. Havoc with Turbocharger is nothing to sneeze at but I'd much rather find a Devotion still.

When I pull the trigger, the 301 shoots bullets. When I pull the trigger on a Havoc, nothing comes out until I am already half dead.

Some guns work good on paper, dude, but in your hands have a different response. That's touch and feel and balance.
    But we weren't talking about the spin-up time, we were talking about whether it has a big enough magazine size.

We're talking about the gun being annoying to use despite, on paper, looking strong. I'm sure there are people out there that like it and can make it work, and more power to them. It's not for lack of trying, sometimes all you can find is a Havoc and you try to make it work.

Idk it's also just very satisfying to lay down the hellfire and havoc is not that kind of gun. I can lay waste to a whole team with Devotion and R99 and still have ammo in the clip for the inevitable second team running up on me next

• SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    My affinity for various guns has shifted around gradually but greatly over time.
    I was on the R-99 wagon for a while but I've since fallen off. Not because I think it's a bad gun; it's great. Still, I barely pick it up anymore; if I do, it sort've takes over my backpack and my gameplan. It chews through ammo so fast that I spend a lot of backpack space on it, and I can also spend a fair amount of gametime (which is as much a resource as anything else) simply maintaining my ammo supply at a reasonable level. Additionally if I do take an R-99, it probably gets all of my best attachments - which then means I am going to be looking to get into fights that favor it, e.g. scrambles.

At this point in my learning curve, I favor guns that are most effective in the short-to-midrangey engagements that are the natural precursor to scrambles. High damage-per-bullet means that I can fill my backpack with a mountain of grenades, which are likewise effective in that situation. Havoc, Scout, and Hemlock are my go-to guns at the moment.

That's just me. The gunplay is so well tuned that there is plenty of room for personal preference.

Sokpuppet on
    A post from Reddit that seems hilarious and relevant
    https://www.reddit.com/r/apexlegends/comments/b7812l/finding_all_golden_items_in_one_place_very_lucky/

Note - the video itself is absurd, but the commentary indicating that this place has a consistently higher drop rate of top tier items means I want to drop near Pit all the time until I get my Gold Helmet/Gold Armor combo.

• MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    I enjoyed this kill, first time I've really tried to do anything like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wc6iAXlR3rU

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    I have nothing really to report other than I've finally gotten my hands on enough supply drops to start to grok the Mastiff. Joining the ranks of people who can put out those meaty 130 damage shots is a joy, that thing is really disgusting.

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Spectrum wrote: »
    I have nothing really to report other than I've finally gotten my hands on enough supply drops to start to grok the Mastiff. Joining the ranks of people who can put out those meaty 130 damage shots is a joy, that thing is really disgusting.

My time spent futzing around with it in Titanfall has finally proved useful. To be fair, it shreds in TF too when you use it right.

A fairly up and down night but this one highlight did make me chuckle:
    https://youtu.be/Qllo_vvglBo

XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    I usually completely and utterly hate Battle Royales, but the shooting in this game and the main gameplay loop is so satisfying that it has grabbed me for the past few days. I'm even thinking about buying the friggin' season pass just to throw some money their way.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Okay Octane is... Pretty great
    https://youtu.be/B8z5brv4twQ

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    I got my first solo win!

The last two squads got into a big firefight with each other. I rushed in at the end and shot the one survivor dead as he was trying to rez his teammates.

edited April 2019
    The key to success is to kill early and kill often

https://youtu.be/hxoxJjxmSxg

and also never take a fight in that awful bridge-cave area if you can help it

ZtpqMOph.png

(the real key to success is that you don't have to hit all of your shots, you just have to hit enough of them when they count)

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    This was the best worst match I've played in a while. So many deaths. Our elite Wraith teammate did their best to carry our corpses to victory.

4buXNijh.jpg

• CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    This was the best worst match I've played in a while. So many deaths. Our elite Wraith teammate did their best to carry our corpses to victory.

4buXNijh.jpg

Hot shit, I've not seen 2000+ damage before!

Hell yeah had a pretty good night of Apex. Lots of kills, although only one win and a whole bucketful of second places. Lots of wins really come down to who has the better positioning, I had multiple games with 9+ kills but still lost most of them because of shitty circles.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm still having a great time, playing Apex pretty solidly. I hit level 26 in the season pass yesterday.

I've noticed a decent number of people on my friends list aren't playing as much, though. I think they did themselves a disservice by not having a more exciting first content drop.

I'm hoping their next session really rallies a ton of people back.

What is this I don't even.
    Hell yeah had a pretty good night of Apex. Lots of kills, although only one win and a whole bucketful of second places. Lots of wins really come down to who has the better positioning, I had multiple games with 9+ kills but still lost most of them because of shitty circles.

I feel like the general APEX player population got worse this week? Rando teammates and champion squads are all lower level. Jump masters constantly landing in the river (why!? Why the river!?)

So I’m running around doing 1500 damage and 8 kills but not gettin many Ws

616610-1.png