As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] aren't worth playing until you add at least five expansions

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Is Root at all playable with only 2?

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Is Root at all playable with only 2?

It's not ideal but it's definitely playable. There are a few suggested 1v1 set ups and the expansion comes with a bot for the Marquise de Cat that you can either drop in as a virtual third player or for 2v1 co-op. The Better Bot Project has bots for other factions and the ongoing Kickstarter has an add-on option for official boards that reproduce those rules.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Speaking of Cole Wehrle, Heavy Cardboard did a live stream of Pax Pamir 2e with him last night. Looking real sharp, this game.

https://youtu.be/V-ji--dxeu4

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Time for a story about board game social awkwardness! Spoiler tagged for the convenience of those who don't want to read this kind of thing:
    So I love board games but a few years ago I moved away from most of my board game-loving friends (and closer to board game-enjoying family, so that somewhat makes up for it). My friends sometimes suggest that I find a new board game group out here, and that sounds fine in theory, but in practice I feel like I'm not ready to throw myself into a new group (I'm introverted and have some slight social anxiety). But maybe in the right circumstances...

It seemed the right circumstances were going to happen soon, as a few days ago my roommate mentioned that he had talked to some friends of his about starting a Gloomhaven campaign. (I've been interested in playing that but finding a group for a 200 hour commitment is daunting.) I suggested maybe we could go together and he was amenable.

Yesterday at like 4:30pm, my roommate invites me to a Facebook messaging group to hash out the details. What could have been the right circumstances start going awry immediately:

-My roommate starts this conversation with "Turns out I won't be available for the first 5 weeks, but my roommate is!" So much for having a buffer friend to help introduce me to a group of strangers.
    -When I say yeah I'm interested in playing Gloomhaven, the response is "Great, how soon can you get here?" Apparently they are starting literally within the hour. I'm in the middle of running errands, not dressed for socializing, I live 40 minutes away--oh, and I haven't read the rules.

I told them I couldn't make it tonight and to have fun, and to let me know when they were doing this next week (ie, some advance notice would be nice!) But this is making me feel like I should bail on the whole thing.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    FFG is live demo'ing Star Wars: Outer Rim. I'm trying to figure out if it is different enough from Firefly to make it worth it.

Already I'm hearing some good points:

- The dice are identical to X-wing's attack dice (only gold instead of red).
    - The board is fully modular - you can set up the hyperlanes, and I can't tell if the planets can be slotted in different places or not (I don't think so because the planets are paired on decks)

The starting ships have a speed variant and a combat variant.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Time for a story about board game social awkwardness! Spoiler tagged for the convenience of those who don't want to read this kind of thing:
    So I love board games but a few years ago I moved away from most of my board game-loving friends (and closer to board game-enjoying family, so that somewhat makes up for it). My friends sometimes suggest that I find a new board game group out here, and that sounds fine in theory, but in practice I feel like I'm not ready to throw myself into a new group (I'm introverted and have some slight social anxiety). But maybe in the right circumstances...

It seemed the right circumstances were going to happen soon, as a few days ago my roommate mentioned that he had talked to some friends of his about starting a Gloomhaven campaign. (I've been interested in playing that but finding a group for a 200 hour commitment is daunting.) I suggested maybe we could go together and he was amenable.

Yesterday at like 4:30pm, my roommate invites me to a Facebook messaging group to hash out the details. What could have been the right circumstances start going awry immediately:

-My roommate starts this conversation with "Turns out I won't be available for the first 5 weeks, but my roommate is!" So much for having a buffer friend to help introduce me to a group of strangers.
    -When I say yeah I'm interested in playing Gloomhaven, the response is "Great, how soon can you get here?" Apparently they are starting literally within the hour. I'm in the middle of running errands, not dressed for socializing, I live 40 minutes away--oh, and I haven't read the rules.

I told them I couldn't make it tonight and to have fun, and to let me know when they were doing this next week (ie, some advance notice would be nice!) But this is making me feel like I should bail on the whole thing.

Seems a little weird but over-eagerness isn't a huge red flag. Since you're in that group you could ask them how the game went and use that to see if there are warning signs?

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    admanb wrote: »

Seems a little weird but over-eagerness isn't a huge red flag. Since you're in that group you could ask them how the game went and use that to see if there are warning signs?
    Personally, I find the story as laid out a bit hand wiggle. But I'm probably just used to being a bit more organized about these sorts of things? Regardless, I agree with the sentiment that asking them about the game is probably a good course of action. You can try and figure out both how it actually went and also see what they focus on in responding to the question, which hopefully helps you figure out how things fit together.

Regardless, good luck. Even without social anxieties it's not easy making new friends as an adult.

ArcticLancer on
    That is good advice, thank you! Yeah this process is not as easy as it used to be...

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular

To me this almost sounds like they're going to kick you as soon as your friend is available again. I don't know if that's something you're fine with? I don't know much about Gloomhaven.

This might be really overanalyzing, but it's my concern here.

Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I spent a week at a general nerd get-together, another week crossing the country to return home, and then a third week getting over the cold I picked up during the second week. Board games were played!

My fiancee and I took advantage of the game library to play both Clank! and Clank! in Space!. Of the two, I think we actually preferred the fantasy Clank!. The sequel has interesting card combo mechanics to encourage strategic deckbuilding, but being able to buy a teleport ticket and nab one of the best treasures without having to do much actual moving into the ship made things just too easy.

Trogdor! was more of a demo experience (12 people playing 6 players just to fit around the table), but is a charming bit of randomness when everyone's in the proper spirit (that is, potentially drunk, shouting "Arrowed!", etc.). Each player is a cultist of the Burninator, hoping to direct the mighty dagron dragon to lay waste to the entire board before knights/arrows hurt him. Trogdor's health is based on eating the limited number of peasants available, and if any respawn they come from his health. However, if you set a peasant on fire, it will run screaming around the map for a bit before disappearing, hopefully destroying tiles for you as it goes (or even starting peasant chain reactions). Strong Bad's helpful narration made the game a lot of fun, and his Quickstart Rules Rap really sells it.

I left the Trogdor demo early to try out Thornwatch, which was fun though it really encourages random maps/abilities unless you want to spend an hour doing setup. I think I'll have to play some different missions with different enemy types in order to discover some combos more interesting than "these guys all walk over here and wail on this player/NPC," but luckily I'll be able to do that! The publisher was doing the demo, and they specifically didn't want to haul their games back home; I was lucky enough to win the lottery for a gently used Thornwatch set, and played it with my usual group when I got home.

Ultimate Werewolf Legacy would normally be the kind of game that would make me run screaming off into the distance. "You want to play 16 games of Werewolf? With the same group of complete strangers? And take notes? Where do you find the time!?" But being stuck in the middle of the ocean means that you can actually schedule these things and people won't have much of excuse, and picking up on each others' tells and teambuilding techniques was amazing. We managed to have the full 16 players (15 players and one moderator) almost every time, and the twists and turns, while sometimes anticlimactic, definitely kept building on one another as the legacy material got more and more involved.

Get the MacGuffin is a pleasant card game for when you have too many people to play something like Love Letter but want something light and simple. There's some strategy there if you want to look hard at all the cards that have been played, but you can still play with a less cutthroat style and have a good time. Definitely better with larger groups (5+).

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »
    My fiancee and I took advantage of the game library to play both Clank! and Clank! in Space!. Of the two, I think we actually preferred the fantasy Clank!. The sequel has interesting card combo mechanics to encourage strategic deckbuilding, but being able to buy a teleport ticket and nab one of the best treasures without having to do much actual moving into the ship made things just too easy.

You still have to get a door pass to teleport into the treasure room:
    a rules wrote:
    Once you’ve placed your two Data cubes in two different modules, you have completed your command code. Take a Command Code token from the Bank and move the Boss Marker up one space along the Rage Track. Until you possess this token, you can’t enter the Command module by any means - not by Boots, Hyperlift, Telepad, or the ability of a card in your deck.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »
    Bursar wrote: »

You still have to get a door pass to teleport into the treasure room:
    a rules wrote:
    Once you’ve placed your two Data cubes in two different modules, you have completed your command code. Take a Command Code token from the Bank and move the Boss Marker up one space along the Rage Track. Until you possess this token, you can’t enter the Command module by any means - not by Boots, Hyperlift, Telepad, or the ability of a card in your deck.

Yes, I had placed both my data cubes to get the pass. That wasn't the issue; all the things I needed (hacking spaces, store, teleport pad, money) were really close together.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Gloomhaven update: I decided I was overthinking things and offered to play next week, only to realize after they’d accepted that I had an unavoidable scheduling conflict and would have to try again the week after. Woo.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Whoa! I didn't realize they made a Puerto Rico for the Galaxy! (Its called New Frontiers.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlywfGlIl2Y

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Like many of my board games, I need to get it to the table.

I believe there are some design diaries about the trip from a Puerto Rico card game around to a board game too.

The goods cubes are satisfying. Shame it would have cost too much to make all 4 sizes.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    New Frontiers is great. Depending on how much you like and have played RFTG and Puerto Rico you might or might not need it in your life, as it feels pretty similar to those things. It's definitely worth playing though.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Yeah, I'm really torn because I love Roll for the Galaxy.

"But guys, there's no delicious looking dice!"

"I ate them all. I regret nothing."

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Whoa! I didn't realize they made a Puerto Rico for the Galaxy! (Its called New Frontiers.)

So... they made a board game of a card game that was originally made to be a card game of a board game?

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

So... they made a board game of a card game that was originally made to be a card game of a board game?

Well, we've already had at least one case of a card game of a board game of a card game! (Broom Service: The Card Game from Broom Service from Witches' Brew.)

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Picked up Werewords and The Princess and the Goblin at the local boardgames shop. Was hoping to get Azul but they sold out a couple of days ago.

Werewords looks fun. Even though i have far too many social deduction games.

No clue about The Princess and the Goblin. But i like the book so i thought id try the game.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Here's an update an my tentative card designs:

fh4fkothke60.jpg
    From left to right: Ships (minions/creatures), Buildings (structures), R&D (spells)

I went with a modified mix of MTG and Hearthstone for the overall design. Each of the types located at the bottom middle of the cards are color coded (B/Y/R for ships, Green for buildings, and Purple for R&D). I'll also add color/visual elements to make the cards differentiate while in your hand.

I thought about modifying the layout of the buildings to be horizontal, but I don't think it adds much in the end. Best to keep them all visual the same, even though building cards don't go to your hand at any point. There might be UI additions to the building cards on the left and right side to show where "Add-On" buildings attach to them. Possible the add-on stuff might be sideways, but again, I think that might be unnecessary.

The card backs will be a universal design, but will have color coding and text/symbols to match the type of card. Like the word "Ship", "Building", and "R&D" or matching symbols will be in a center location with the matching color surrounding it. There's not a lot of hidden information in the game, so it doesn't make much difference if you know what type of ship your opponent's holding. Plus it allows for a lot faster set-up and take-down of the game.

Anyway, thoughts?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Man the SUSD review of Blood On The Clocktower sure is gushing. I'm pretty sure I don't need a $100 complicated version of werewolf that wants 8-13 players and takes 2 hours, personally. It looks interesting though, if only for how over the top it is.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    MNC Dover wrote: »

<Card Design Stuff>

Anyway, thoughts?

I don't think I have any additional thoughts regarding the prototype design, which should probably be fine enough for testing. Though if you're going to be writing card info on paper as one of your prototypes, you might consider creating a stencil out of cardstock so that you can quickly duplicate card layouts. On the other hand, you can ignore this suggestion if you're going to create a digital template and cut out prototype cards from printed paper pages. (EDIT: Might as well post James Ernest's card-making video for those who haven't seen it before.)

But I did have some additional thoughts for refinement, even though it's not really that important at this development stage. First of all, consider giving each type of card face a different shape for its image as an additional encoding beyond color, as seen in games like Hearthstone, Codex, and Slay the Spire. This might be one of those "color/visual elements" that you were already planning, but I'm just making sure that idea is out there. Secondly, I had a different idea for how to use color to encode ship class. Rather than primary colors {blue, yellow, and red}, may I suggest analogous (consecutive) colors instead, such as {yellow, orange, red}? For {yellow, orange, red} in particular, this also gives a progression from light to dark which feeds in nicely with the size class of each ship. I've seen this encoding used in Eclipse as an indicator of weapon strength. For the other card types, if the game expands to include multiple building types or levels, they could use the cool colors (green, blue, purple) while R&D cards take a neutral gray or mostly desaturated colors.

Also, forgive me if I'm coming across as rude, but apparently we've also got a game design thread in the subforum. It's not very active so you might not get as much visual exposure, but it could be a better way of keeping notes on the game development organized?

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Man the SUSD review of Blood On The Clocktower sure is gushing. I'm pretty sure I don't need a $100 complicated version of werewolf that wants 8-13 players and takes 2 hours, personally. It looks interesting though, if only for how over the top it is.

I made the mistake of sitting in on one.

If you think Ultimate Werewolf needed to be a shit ton longer and have three times the special roles, it's the game for you!

• ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    Playing with my family is fun and all, but sometimes it can be such a drag.

We had a wonderful game of 7 Wonders going with 2 newbies (high school kids: my cousin and his friend). It was a big hit since everyone was engaged and asking lots of questions while we all bantered, laughed, and enjoyed the night together.

We decided as group to end the night with Scythe and that might have been a mistake. Everyone pretty much checked out and were on their phones the whole time between turns and it just made the end of the night miserable for me. I didn't say anything since our host was having a good time on his phone with everyone else passing along memes to each other.

Makes me wonder if I should go out to dedicated board game shops to play the games I want to play.

Anyways, I think when it's my turn to host game night I might have to house rule for no phones at the table :rotate:

• WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    The fellas I game with just agree to keep phones off the table. Every 30 or 40 minutes, we take a "phone break." 5 minutes of looking at phones and stuff, then back to the game. We have a kind of boisterous group, and I think it helps keep the game flowing, banter and trash talk up. It is quite rare for someone to say "Hang on a minute" when the 5 minutes is up.

I enjoy the genre enough that I asked my friend / FLGS owner to do a retailer pledge. Free demo copy + a guaranteed sale made it an easy sell. I don't expect to have many occasions to play it, but as Quinns says - it very much falls into that realm of "If you like these sorts of things, you might as well have the most interesting one."

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

<Card Design Stuff>

Anyway, thoughts?

I don't think I have any additional thoughts regarding the prototype design, which should probably be fine enough for testing. Though if you're going to be writing card info on paper as one of your prototypes, you might consider creating a stencil out of cardstock so that you can quickly duplicate card layouts. On the other hand, you can ignore this suggestion if you're going to create a digital template and cut out prototype cards from printed paper pages. (EDIT: Might as well post James Ernest's card-making video for those who haven't seen it before.)

But I did have some additional thoughts for refinement, even though it's not really that important at this development stage. First of all, consider giving each type of card face a different shape for its image as an additional encoding beyond color, as seen in games like Hearthstone, Codex, and Slay the Spire. This might be one of those "color/visual elements" that you were already planning, but I'm just making sure that idea is out there. Secondly, I had a different idea for how to use color to encode ship class. Rather than primary colors {blue, yellow, and red}, may I suggest analogous (consecutive) colors instead, such as {yellow, orange, red}? For {yellow, orange, red} in particular, this also gives a progression from light to dark which feeds in nicely with the size class of each ship. I've seen this encoding used in Eclipse as an indicator of weapon strength. For the other card types, if the game expands to include multiple building types or levels, they could use the cool colors (green, blue, purple) while R&D cards take a neutral gray or mostly desaturated colors.

Also, forgive me if I'm coming across as rude, but apparently we've also got a game design thread in the subforum. It's not very active so you might not get as much visual exposure, but it could be a better way of keeping notes on the game development organized?

Great suggestions, thanks! Been using the digital prints w/sleeves. Scalped my Netrunner cards for testing. RIP Netrunner. :(

And I didn't know about the game design subforum, so I'll check that out. I use bookmarks mostly, so a good search of the forums for new threads doesn't happen too often. Definitely will fix that. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I enjoy the genre enough that I asked my friend / FLGS owner to do a retailer pledge. Free demo copy + a guaranteed sale made it an easy sell. I don't expect to have many occasions to play it, but as Quinns says - it very much falls into that realm of "If you like these sorts of things, you might as well have the most interesting one."

Thats a good way to go if you want this thing, because there are big red flags for the actual Kickstarter too. First time publisher, expensive complicated project with weird production needs, no shipping solution nailed down... Seems like one to wait and grab at retail for sure.

• HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    I taught my eight-year-old to play Agricola:All Creatures Big and Small today. In order to keep from overwhelming her with the rules explanation, I said, "We won't worry much about how to score points today. We'll just play however we want and we'll tally scores at the end, which will help you understand how to score points next time we play."

End score: she beat me 48-44.* Now, I intentionally ignored a couple scoring opportunities during the game, but I think she's ready for serious play regardless.

*(Those scores are sufficiently high that I suspect I failed to update the round counter one time -- we might have played 9 rounds instead of 8. Still, she beat me fair and square.)

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Fuck I'm sold on Blood on the Clocktower. Now to see if my extended game group is interested.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981

Oh wow. I just watched the review and I wasn't expecting THAT level of gushing. Favorite board game ever???? Seriously?

I'm convinced SU&SD has been operating on coming up with purple prose first, then writing the review backwards from there. They're good for flow and getting a feel of a game, but their final opinions have been ugh for close to two years now.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »

Oh wow. I just watched the review and I wasn't expecting THAT level of gushing. Favorite board game ever???? Seriously?

I'm convinced SU&SD has been operating on coming up with purple prose first, then writing the review backwards from there. They're good for flow and getting a feel of a game, but their final opinions have been ugh for close to two years now.

I think it's a matter of opinion because I track pretty close to what they like and don't like, usually for similar reasons. This game feels like Twilight imperium in the fact that you're not going to get it to the table often, but if you have the right group, and the time, it will be a great experience.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    It makes all the sense in the world that the most elaborate and ridiculous social deduction game would gel very well with the extreme extroverts at SUSD

That's the thing you always have to remember with them, and especially with Quinns: he loves to be the ringleader of a very very large group of people, it's kind of a requirement to head a long-running web series based entirely on people enjoying your personality

6F32U1X.png
    That completely makes sense.

When I watched that review I totally wanted to be the game master for it. I would be fine with never playing a role. The concept of successfully running a game with over 10 players? MMMmmm awesome. I don't even necessarily care what game i play at that point.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    That doesn't even seem that like big an improvement over the regular 'werewolf + roles' that already existed, and very overproduced if they're asking 80 bucks. I'm very much not the target audience for the game though, I find most hidden traitor games to be boring. The only one I really like is Spyfall.

sig.gif
  • GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a bit of a Captain Sonar situation.

Personally, I don't really get it? The biggest point of interest is seeing how the ghosts interact with the game. Because if you're gonna have a longer game you need to keep players involved imo. It seemed like there wasn't much to the ghosts.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I feel like the market might be ready for taking the werewolf kind of theme but making an actual small rpg around it, something in the vein of Fiasco or Baron Munchausen. My biggest issue with most hidden role games is that for all the complexity of roles, they all still boil down to asking people if they are the traitor, them saying no, and then inventing gameplay around guessing. Having more things actually happen to talk about, and more subtlety and breadth in the conversations, seems like it would be more valuable than adding even more uncertainty into a very basic and uncertain process. (this is why I like spyfall, btw, it feels like ferreting out the spy is actually based on things they say, because of the breadth of things you could be talking about).

sig.gif
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    I just went and watched the Blood on the Clocktower review and uh

I think I'm alright with One Night Ultimate Werewolf at 1/5th of the price

there's just too much shit! If I'm paying 100 bucks for a game with too much stuff, I'm better served with Gloomhaven

The thing I LIKE about these games is the compactness

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.