As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    2019-03-27_1544.png

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    so I need a haircut quite bad. This means all my gray hairs are long and super noticeable, my temples are crazy grey now. Last night Isaac asked me point blank "Daddy, how come your hair is all white now" *tear*

That's okay, Mallory asks me if she can comb my hair then goes, "BUT YOU HAVE NO HAIR"

My daughter once asked me why trees lose their leaves in Fall, and I told her about how they seal off the connections to the leaves to conserve water etc. "Is that what happened to your hair? Will it come back in the Spring?"

Daddy, your tummy is so comfy because it's super squishy.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I'm kind of relishing my kids genuinely thinking I'm the most beautiful woman. I'm not an ogre, but I'm all squishy and getting old. One day they'll look at me and see an average person. But not yet!

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Had an ~6 hour flight today with 2 babies who were not happy to be there.

One was in front of me, so I could at least catch her eye and distract her for a few minutes every now and then. Got some huge semi-toofed baby grins.

The other was behind me, and there wasnt anything I could do. That baby, unfortunately, was sad for almost the whole flight. :( Parents did well, though - no yelling or screaming!

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I know this is the thread FOR parents and not ABOUT parents

but my mum just got out of surgery after a double mastectomy and she did well and I'm proud of her but super apprehensive.

Also I'm taking my 1 year old to see his doctor tomorrow because he's bad at pooping and today he did one that was accompanied by a disturbing amount of blood.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Hey if it's going on in your life and effects your parenting, talk about it.

I'm glad you're mom is doing well. My mom's also been through that recently, so if you need to chat one kid to another, I'm around.

Oh no! I hope bean is ok!

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    So, took mini-Muzz to a greenhouse/family centre, and decided to indulge her by purchasing some tokens for the arcade. We stuck to the less skill based ones, because she’s only three, and found a plinko style game.

Well, wouldn’t you know it, she managed to get the jackpot of 600 tickets without really paying much attention, and then proceeded to get the second prize of 160 tickets.

Meanwhile, all I could get was 20 tickets.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    So, took mini-Muzz to a greenhouse/family centre, and decided to indulge her by purchasing some tokens for the arcade. We stuck to the less skill based ones, because she’s only three, and found a plinko style game.

Well, wouldn’t you know it, she managed to get the jackpot of 600 tickets without really paying much attention, and then proceeded to get the second prize of 160 tickets.

Meanwhile, all I could get was 20 tickets.

So how was the 780 ticket "funny" eraser?

steam_sig.png
    We’re going to the Weezer concert tonight, Sprocket is having her first sleepover away from home at her half-sister’s house.

She spent the morning packing ALL the things. She’s got clothes, a sleeping bag, a taggie, games, a stuffed animal, cereal for tomorrow morning, a spoon for the cereal, a cereal bowl, her laptop so they can play Minecraft together, my Switch...

And that’s just what she packed before breakfast.

Yeah, she’s gonna be there for about an hour and a half before it’ll be bedtime.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My daughter has her first loose tooth.
    I told her she had to let me or her dad know before she put her tooth under her pillow. Because this girl knows about fairies and how they can be tricksters or even mean. (Grandma got her a fairy book, and it's actually a fairly accurate book about legends and tales.) I let her know that by placing the tooth under the pillow, she has invited the fairy into our home. And the fairy will trade the tooth for something nice (I'm going with little gemstone and probably a quarter). But if mom or dad haven't placed protection in her room, the fairy will get into mischief (tooth fairy is a nice fairy, so only plays tricks and isn't mean.)
    Walking to school today, we were talking about the tricks a tooth fairy could play. Like moving her brother into her bed. Or switching their beds around. Or moving her to her brother's room.
    I'm not quite sure how it got this far.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Back when my eldest lost her first tooth, she came home and excitedly told us how her best friend got FOUR DOLLARS when she put her tooth under the pillow. It put me in an awkward place since all I was planning on doing was slipping a single dollar coin under her pillow. Man this tooth fairy is getting expensive.

Luckily my youngest didn't know any of this, so when it came her turn I just gave her a dollar (since she's less likely to lose a single coin rather than four coins anyway.)

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    If kids ever unionized their bargaining power over that stuff, we’d be screwed.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    My daughter has her first loose tooth.
    I told her she had to let me or her dad know before she put her tooth under her pillow. Because this girl knows about fairies and how they can be tricksters or even mean. (Grandma got her a fairy book, and it's actually a fairly accurate book about legends and tales.) I let her know that by placing the tooth under the pillow, she has invited the fairy into our home. And the fairy will trade the tooth for something nice (I'm going with little gemstone and probably a quarter). But if mom or dad haven't placed protection in her room, the fairy will get into mischief (tooth fairy is a nice fairy, so only plays tricks and isn't mean.)
    Walking to school today, we were talking about the tricks a tooth fairy could play. Like moving her brother into her bed. Or switching their beds around. Or moving her to her brother's room.
    I'm not quite sure how it got this far.

Sounds like its time to build an elaborate rotating wall that swaps which room the two of them are in overnight.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I'm kind of relishing my kids genuinely thinking I'm the most beautiful woman. I'm not an ogre, but I'm all squishy and getting old. One day they'll look at me and see an average person. But not yet!

I know, my kids might point out my squishy belly all the time, but it’s because they love it, and I love that they love it!

@lonelyahava although I don’t think it was me, thank you for the recommendations! :D

Niko and Anya have a new baby cousin! Name is Ambrose, so between Ambrose and their other new cousin Florence, it really does seem as if old-fashioned names are making a comeback. (Ambrose is also going to have the retro Bram as a nickname).

Also Anya got $20 for her first tooth because that is all I had, but she forgot about her second tooth so...

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    We do a $5 bill a tooth, which I get is probably a lot, but we don't do allowances for that age and they don't end up with much money from other sources so it works out well enough for us. Their mother does the bills up with rainbow sparkles and somehow it doesn't get all over the place, which is magic in itself.

Ugh, my poor sister. Her 6 month old hasn’t slept more than an hour or two at a time and she is severely sleep deprived. She begged her husband to take the baby for an evening so she could nap and her husband just ended up screaming at the baby, helping no one!

Although I didn’t have help at night I did at least manage to cosleep/dreamfeed my babies, so I would at least be dozing or reclining/resting during the night. Apparently her baby won’t even cosleep.

Unfortunately she’s 6,000 miles away or else I’d have already had her baby for few nights to help her sleep!

I’ve promised to babysit for a couple of nights when I visit in May, but I am not there for long.

I hope her baby starts sleeping better soon...

Man, I hear these stories of fathers that just don't anything, and it's really upsetting to me. My wife and I both hit breaking points, and that was with taking shifts. I can't imagine trying to do it all myself. Single parents are fucking heroes.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'd gladly help out a parent in need. You need a night of sleep? No problem, I'll stay up all night rocking your kid. Because you see, that what a real husband and father does for their kids. Not yelling at them.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    "Dad, when will sports end?"

"Morgan... I swear to god it is 6am..."

• SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Like, as a concept? Who knows, buddy, maybe with the heat death of the universe.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Just had a growth scan at 32 weeks as at the last midwife appointment the measurements were adding up properly.

Scan has been done and everything is fine, he was just squished up in a funny position so the midwife couldn't get a good feel.

My wife is worried because the scan report shows that his head is in the 95th percentile and they put that all other measurements are normal.

I'm not too worried as nothing was mentioned to us about his head size beging a problem. I also have a pretty big head so I'm not surprised he does too.

My wife's just got it in to her head that it means there's a problem with him.

• RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    You sure she's not worried about that big head coming out?

At birth, Niko’s head was in the 95th percentile.

We have small heads! Now his head is in the 50th percentile.

Also his birth was relatively easy.

They change so much and unless their measurements are really extreme I would assure her not to be concerned! :)

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ultrasound measurements are not an exact science.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I need help.

Bean was sick last week and wasn't sleeping well.

Now he's not sick anymore, but his sleeping has completely collapsed.

We have been keeping to the previously working routine. Around 8pm one of us takes him into his room with a warm bottle, we sit in the rocking chair with him while he drinks it. Once he's done he gets put into his crib still awake and we leave and close the door. Usually he'll just curl up with his blanket and fall asleep, sometimes he'll sit in bed and chat to himself for 10 minutes before falling asleep. He's been good like this for about 4 months.

Previously he would sleep through the night until about 6.30/7 with maybe one short bout of crying through the night, usually without any need for intervention from us.

For the last week, since he was sick though, he will sleep for a few hours and then wake up inconsolable. We've tried letting him cry it out but he doesn't stop. As soon as one of us goes in to comfort him he wakes 100% up, fully alert, ready for the day. Any attempt to put him back in bed is met with powerful screaming. Taking him into our bed becomes a gymnastics party. Taking him out into the living room to play quietly or read a book or whatever yields mixed results, but no sleepiness. He will completely refuse to go back to sleep or even show any signs of tiredness for hours.

Last night he woke up screaming at 11pm and kept us hostage until 4.30am at which point all three of us fell asleep in our bed. The middle of the night has become his most wakeful period of the day. Both my wife and I are operating on a full week of about 2-3 hours sleep per night. Last night I had a panic attack at 3am about it.

It's fucking miserable. Anyone got any advice? Kind words? offers to babysit? baby tranquilizer darts?

#pipe wrote: »
    I need help.

We have been keeping to the previously working routine. Around 8pm one of us takes him into his room with a warm bottle, we sit in the rocking chair with him while he drinks it. Once he's done he gets put into his crib still awake and we leave and close the door. Usually he'll just curl up with his blanket and fall asleep, sometimes he'll sit in bed and chat to himself for 10 minutes before falling asleep. He's been good like this for about 4 months.

Previously he would sleep through the night until about 6.30/7 with maybe one short bout of crying through the night, usually without any need for intervention from us.

For the last week, since he was sick though, he will sleep for a few hours and then wake up inconsolable. We've tried letting him cry it out but he doesn't stop. As soon as one of us goes in to comfort him he wakes 100% up, fully alert, ready for the day. Any attempt to put him back in bed is met with powerful screaming. Taking him into our bed becomes a gymnastics party. Taking him out into the living room to play quietly or read a book or whatever yields mixed results, but no sleepiness. He will completely refuse to go back to sleep or even show any signs of tiredness for hours.

Last night he woke up screaming at 11pm and kept us hostage until 4.30am at which point all three of us fell asleep in our bed. The middle of the night has become his most wakeful period of the day. Both my wife and I are operating on a full week of about 2-3 hours sleep per night. Last night I had a panic attack at 3am about it.

It's fucking miserable. Anyone got any advice? Kind words? offers to babysit? baby tranquilizer darts?

Not really kind words or advice, but I do have an acknowledgement that its shitty, and its unfortunately just something that happens some times? Is he still taking mid-day naps? You guys could try cutting/shortening those, to try and push his sleep schedule back into a nighttime area.

He's still napping fine. I worry about shortening or cutting them because a) I'm really dreading the transition to one nap per day and b) I keep reading that night waking is often because of overtiredness and getting good naps is important to fixing it.

I haven't done a ton of research. I basically half read the updated ferber book, and we've only barely got Sapling nap trained.

I've heard people mention sleep regression, it might just be Bean is going through a phase. It might help to shorten each of his naps so he's more tired by bed time. All kids are unique, and have their own rhythms and needs, and it's probably just something you'll have to experiment with.

Either way, I hope you guys figure it out, I remember going through a sleepless week or two, and it was awful.

Speaking of Sapling, here she is preparing to board her crib and claim it as a prize! Hopefully she shows much courage, and earns a promotion to Post Captain.

socoiquwx4tc.jpg

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Just had a growth scan at 32 weeks as at the last midwife appointment the measurements were adding up properly.

Scan has been done and everything is fine, he was just squished up in a funny position so the midwife couldn't get a good feel.

My wife is worried because the scan report shows that his head is in the 95th percentile and they put that all other measurements are normal.

I'm not too worried as nothing was mentioned to us about his head size beging a problem. I also have a pretty big head so I'm not surprised he does too.

Ellie was measuring about three weeks ahead of where she should have been, which is why they had me induced a week early with the GD.

She came out at just over 5lbs and in the 5th percentile of everything.

Ultrasound measurement lie all the time.

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    The 5 year old just ran up to show me how far she has made it in Super Mario Galaxy.

Not gonna lie, I'm worried about how long I'll maintain the crown of video game supremacy.

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »

Ellie was measuring about three weeks ahead of where she should have been, which is why they had me induced a week early with the GD.

She came out at just over 5lbs and in the 5th percentile of everything.

Ultrasound measurement lie all the time.

Thank you!

Also @Janson thanks for your help.

After everything we've been through we're just a bit sensitive to everything. 8 more weeks and he'll be here.

I can't wait :D

• bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    I need help.

could it be a teething thing? baby paracetamol in the milk at night tended to help my two get through to the deep sleep more smoothly

routines do change though. at some points you've just got to figure out the new normal and work with it. probably not so much "long wakeful periods during the night" - but at some point, later bed times and fewer naps in the day

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Seen this Jacket at the Disney store and couldnt say no

Six months ago all four of us regularly squeezed into a full-size bed; we upgraded to a king and tonight I looked over and wondered how two 40 lb kids can look as if they are taking up the entire bed?!

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    I need help.

This sounds like a fucking nightmare, you must be long past your limit so I'm sorry you're having to deal with this

Initial flat-footed response that might sound a bit stupid, but.... have you tried calmly explaining that it's still night time/still sleepy time?*

The only other thing I can say is that I've often found it helpful to do something that seems a bit counter-intuitive, like, kid won't stop climbing over cot side at bed time? Take sides off and kid stays in bed, confounded that the barrier has been removed. (Worked again 6 months later when he graduated to climbing over his safety gate).

I'm not sure what that would point to in this case (I kind of tended to wait until I was so frazzled my instincts told me what to do), but I would consider giving up naps and trying a much earlier bed time.

Have you tried white noise at nap time/bed time? For a few months we had to rely on white noise all night to get Owen to sleep.

Christine is suggesting that I also add - lavender oil in some way, if that's on a bit of cotton wool on a radiator or some sort of diffuser or whatever, and anything that helps make a distinction between 'awake time' and 'sleep time'.

I hope some of this helps and if not you have permission to come and hit me with a stick which at least might make you feel better for a minute.

*One time, when Owen was about 1 and a half, we'd been to stay at a hotel for a night, all 4 of us in one room. The next night at home, Owen would not settle at all at bed time, he was the most inconsolable he'd ever been, to the point of sounding like he was being murdered or something. No sign of illness, nothing we could think of calmed him down in any way. By the time I was ready to jump out of the window, I looked him right in the eye and calmly said "We only slept in that different room for one night, we're back in our normal house now, you'll be in your bed, mummy and daddy are in their bed and William is in his bed". He stopped crying and closed his eyes pretty much instantaneously. I hadn't particularly said it because I thought it would do anything, I think it just came out of my mouth for something to say, and I wouldn't particularly think an 18 month old could have understood much of it, but everyone got to sleep.

That is all good advice, thank you.

It seems to have corrected itself now. The turning point was when we set up a bed in his room and when he woke up he mum went into his room and they stayed in there with the lights off and cuddled. He fell asleep pretty quick and slept until the morning.

Then last night he slept by himself from 8 until 5am which I'll take! We heard him settle himself a few times before we went to bed and that seemed like a big deal.

Anyway thanks y'all for the support. Yer a good bunch of mums and dads.

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Just an uneducated FYI about essential oils and young ones. Read up a bit as some are harmful and I’m not sure what’s what but heard something about it.

50433.png?1708759015
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Good rule of thumb is don't put straight essential oil onto anyone, yourself included, without doing your homework and for God's sake don't eat it. There's a lot of really bad info out there, thanks MLMs, but I've seen that essential oils can have some real benefits so I wouldn't completely throw them out.

Peen on
This discussion has been closed.