As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Come to my [house], be one of the comfortable people

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I've had an actual lawn for almost 4 years and still haven't had any chances to tell people to get off of it and that's a real, genuine shame. I'm looking forward to it so much

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Goodbye crappy driveway:

a1elgkjnsvq3.jpg

Father in law is currently digging it up with a mini digger. He really seems in his element when he gets to smash stuff.

SharpyVII on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Helped my dad remove old fence posts with the tractor. I was the chain wrangler and woof my arms are tired. It went super fast though compared to a single person doing it and always having to get on and off the tractor.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Went around and pulled all the random 60 year old metal garbage off the house today in anticipation of the painters coming this week. Gonna be nice to finally have a house that's painted nicely instead of the awful colored aluminum it is now.

One day we'll just pull the siding off entirely and restore the shingles underneath, but with no way of knowing their condition beforehand we're going to have to have 25k earmarked just for that in case we find out that it's a complete nightmare underneath the siding.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Spring is here and I find myself needing to do everything

- we have a bunch of lightbulbs to replace, many of them in awkward places. The outside porch bulb has burned out, for example, as has one of the garage lights, and I’m a bit nervous going up our ladder.
    - I still haven’t replaced the laundry room light bulbs! I need to find LED bulbs rated for use in enclosed fixtures. They exist, but not in any store near us, so either I need to make a trip to Home Depot or order online.
    - Our bathroom ceiling fans are super dirty, need to take a look at those.
    - I have curtains to put up, plus I need to reorganize the kitchen and living room
    - Yardwork! I’m still not much of a gardening fan but it’d be nice to get our yard looking nicer. I can at least prune and I have a few other things I want to do: remove the water fixture (it’s a broken-ish fountain - still works but looks ugly) since that’s nothing but a mosquito pit and kid hazard. It’ll leave a big hole I’ll need to fill. Plant the fuschia I bought today. Prune the hydrangea in the back yard.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »

- we have a bunch of lightbulbs to replace, many of them in awkward places. The outside porch bulb has burned out, for example, as has one of the garage lights, and I’m a bit nervous going up our ladder.
    - I still haven’t replaced the laundry room light bulbs! I need to find LED bulbs rated for use in enclosed fixtures. They exist, but not in any store near us, so either I need to make a trip to Home Depot or order online.

Get some Cree bulbs while they're still making them.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I hear that. I'm lucky a buddy of mine is a jack of all trades kind of dude and he'll come out and help with things that I can't (or don't want to) do myself for not too bad a wage. He's out doing a 50% prune on our fruit trees right now.

I could definitely use a friend like that! Even the stuff I can do myself can often eats into valuable leisure time with the kids.
    MichaelLC wrote: »

Get some Cree bulbs while they're still making them.

Ooh, thank you for the recommendation! They look perfect.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    There are only 3 incandescent bulbs left in this house. All of them are in the bed rooms and when you go from LED or CFl bulb you can really tell the difference

Just the LED in one of the bathrooms has a hum when you turn on the light which is kind of annoying

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Huh! So today I learned about why you can't use regular LEDs in enclosed fixtures, which is something I hadn't heard before. Neat!

GDdCWMm.jpg
    I only found out when I removed the bulbs from the light fixture and, when reading the blurb on the side to see what I needed to replace them with, one bulb said quite clearly ‘not for use in enclosed fixtures’ - which might explain why the light had burned out in the first place!

We switched out to CFLs about 7 years ago before LEDs were big, and we've yet to have one burn out. I even have 3 or 4 new ones left, waiting for the last couple incandescent bulbs to pop.

edited April 2019
    So I got one item checked off my list today!

I weeded a bit in the back yard, plus planted a couple of new plants. I also finally removed the water feature.

It was so disgusting. It was a decent sized tub (as evident by the photos) filled with stagnant water that was a dark brown. Really stinky. Definitely glad I got rid of it before the warmer weather set in. I basically made about 30 trips with a large saucepan to empty it, then managed to wrench it out of the ground (it was weighed down with rocks).

Not sure what to do with the old water feature. I believe it’s still functional. Offer it up on Craigslist for free?

I also don’t know what to do with the hole. Mori’s mom says it’s a nice pre-dug hole but it’s also relatively close to our house, so...

2019-03-31%2019.01.41.jpg

2019-03-31%2019.06.23.jpg

(Kids for scale)

Edit: I also trimmed whatever that plant is in the bottom photo back from our window. On windy nights it scratches the window and sounds really creepy. I’ve trimmed it all back now so we shouldn’t hear that sound any more...

Janson on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    i sold my house about two years ago and am trying to buy another one

the houses in the area where I am looking I feel are overpriced... but... i need a house so... oh well i guess!

the only fun thing about this time is that i have a ton of flexibility for moving in, so I can do home improvement BEFORE i have furniture everywhere

Nice! What are you looking for, size-wise and whatnot?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    i sold my house about two years ago and am trying to buy another one

the houses in the area where I am looking I feel are overpriced... but... i need a house so... oh well i guess!

the only fun thing about this time is that i have a ton of flexibility for moving in, so I can do home improvement BEFORE i have furniture everywhere

Move to Australia! Our dollar is weak, and our housing market has stagnated!

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Huh! So today I learned about why you can't use regular LEDs in enclosed fixtures, which is something I hadn't heard before. Neat!

It pays to spend the extra $2-5 on the high end LEDs.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me

i need a 4 bedroom house. in the town I live in that narrows it down pretty specifically

- Rare 70's era ranch that happens to be that huge already, in the core of town
    - Big honkin mcmansion style house located farther away from city center

I've seen both. I don't like the honkin mcmansions, which has brought me down to exactly 3 options in the entire city right now, so I have an offer in on one of them

i have enough problems with quarrelsome wildlife in my current situation ty

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

i need a 4 bedroom house. in the town I live in that narrows it down pretty specifically

- Rare 70's era ranch that happens to be that huge already, in the core of town
    - Big honkin mcmansion style house located farther away from city center

I've seen both. I don't like the honkin mcmansions, which has brought me down to exactly 3 options in the entire city right now, so I have an offer in on one of them

i have enough problems with quarrelsome wildlife in my current situation ty

I promise I won't bite!

ok well that was easy (it is when you can count your targets on one hand)

under contract sale pending inspection... I wouldn't call it a fixer upper but it's definitely unloved, so we're going to inspect the hell out of this thing.

4/3 with a pool and some very, very, very, very ugly flooring

A trip to Home Depot for Cree LED light bulbs later and whee, we have light in the laundry room!

Mori also replaced the porch light, which I was reluctant to do because it’s pretty high up.

Now, I am concerned that since the previous owners (or the renters, more like) had the wrong bulbs in the laundry light that they probably put wrong bulbs in our other enclosed fixtures, too. But I still cannot unscrew the other fixtures for the life of me!

2019-04-02%2013.06.03.jpg

(I did clean the inner windows but ugh, some of the windows are so dirty on the outside, I apologize for that).

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    (I did clean the inner windows but ugh, some of the windows are so dirty on the outside, I apologize for that).

Our house is, as the crow flies, about 400m from the beach. The windows at the front of the house are only not visibly disgusting for the day that they get cleaned and maybe, if there's no wind, about a day or two after.

I've yet to find a window cleaner that can reach the skylights, though. They'll stay disgusting

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    I love skylights soooo much, but somehow I never considered that they may need cleaning!

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    skylights (from years of experience) are the best and the worst. They always need cleaning and always eventually leak. but when they're clean and not leaking, they're so nice!

• SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I love skylights soooo much, but somehow I never considered that they may need cleaning!

To be fair I could just open them up all the way and then wash them from inside. But to reach the bottom (which would be at the top as you flip them open upside down) I'd have to stand on something which sets off my fear of heights because at that point I'm two storeys up with a waist-height ledge between me and oblivion.

And I'd have to put a sheet down or something

And my to-do list is already so long

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Due to a mardy skip hire company the schedule for the drive was looking like it might be totally thrown off track.

We were due to have aggregate delivered today but had to put it off because the skip company wouldn't collect the skip.

Fortunately a late intervention by my father in law and some clever rejigging of what we've put in the skip has got us back on schedule.

The aggregate company has been great and have been really good in fitting us in after we had to cancel our print slot.

The tool hire company have also been great which has made us feel better after the skip hire company were utterly useless.

i have hired the ultimate god tier home inspector. 7 hour session. 100+ page report. Thermal imaging cameras to detect shit behind the drywall

we're going all-in. if a squirrel took a dump in my attic 25 years ago, I will know what it had for breakfast

what will I do with this information? I'll think of something.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    i have hired the ultimate god tier home inspector. 7 hour session. 100+ page report. Thermal imaging cameras to detect shit behind the drywall

we're going all-in. if a squirrel took a dump in my attic 25 years ago, I will know what it had for breakfast

make sure the squirrel is getting proper nutrition for one

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular

How much did that cost?

Also how much will that change anything about your decision to purchase the house?

...I have opinions about home inspectors.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Doodmann wrote: »

How much did that cost?

Also how much will that change anything about your decision to purchase the house?

We passed on a house we'd had an offer accepted on because of what the inspection found. Home inspections are super important.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Conversely, I cheaped out on an inspector and got a house with some biiiiig problems.

Always hire an inspector.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
    Sorry, to be clear I agree someone should inspect your home, just have that person be a general contractor. I don't trust inspectors because where I am there is no oversight/licensing and the best they can do is suggest hiring a contractor to give you a quote.

edited April 2019

How much did that cost?

Roughly double a standard box-checking inspector. And yes he's a GC. I hired him specifically to find the big stuff and the unseeable stuff. He came with multiple recommendations, and I have his licenses

When I bought my first home I went the cheap route, and that ended up being an expensive mistake.

I'm primarily looking for major structural problems, etc... stuff that would take 10k+ to remediate.

Jasconius on
    edited April 2019
    Sorry, to be clear I agree someone should inspect your home, just have that person be a general contractor. I don't trust inspectors because where I am there is no oversight/licensing and the best they can do is suggest hiring a contractor to give you a quote.

Well more specifically, get someone who has insurance and a inspectors license. The guy I hired was a general contractor and was not licensed to do inspections and had no insurance. So I got him to "inspect" the house cheaply, but he didn't notice the broken valley beam in the roof and the general structural problems in the roof that caused the break and was likely to break the other valley beam.

Good news was that I got a good deal on the house since we bought during the recession and the whole shebang was repaired last year, but it was five years of anxiety about the roof every time we got heavy snow.

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)

Well more specifically, get someone who has insurance and a inspectors license. The guy I hired was a general contractor and was not licensed to do inspections and had no insurance. So I got him to "inspect" the house cheaply, but he didn't notice the broken valley beam in the roof and the general structural problems in the roof that caused the break and was likely to break the other valley beam.

Good news was that I got a good deal on the house since we bought during the inpsection and the whole shebang was repaired last year, but it was five years of anxiety about the roof every time we got heavy snow.

Yes good point. None of this is required in California, which is kinda bullshit and makes me not care how many pages you filled out.

None of this is required in California

that's.. pretty insane. what is even happening in california

could I inspect a house in cali?

hmm yes... this house.... it has... paint. that's a +. ok looks good to me, buy it

Ah I gotcha. MA does have a certification process and inspections have to be publicly filed, so you can vet the company you're thinking of hiring.

None of this is required in California

that's.. pretty insane. what is even happening in california

could I inspect a house in cali?

hmm yes... this house.... it has... paint. that's a +. ok looks good to me, buy it

Yeah... this is basically what the guy I hired did. I mean, he even crawled up into the attic, but didn't even notice the broken beam that was directly above the trap door. (Never mind that you could see the whole thing sagging from the street!)

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Due to a mardy skip hire company the schedule for the drive was looking like it might be totally thrown off track.

I know what this sentence means but I need you to know that as an American I have never wanted anything more than to be able to use the phrase "mardy skip hire" and be taken seriously.

What’s a skip in US parlance?

This discussion has been closed.