As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Newfangled Previews thread, beware here be spoilers.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The inking is pretty bad.

EDIT: Talkin' bout NA.

august on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I gotta admit

the way Ollie get's Connor's body off the boat is pretty fucking cool

I really like that part. It has a lot of emotion in it. If only Judd Winick could write like that all the time.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    You guys, I am seriously so excited for Secret Invasion I don't even know how to explain it.

Also, Bagley's just doing the one arc for Mighty Avengers, right? (because that looked awesome and I need to prepare myself for his departure)

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Between Daniel Way and now Guggenheim and Chaykin at the same time on Wolverine, it is really obvious Marvel is not even trying, relying purely on the character to sell the book. Disgustingly lazy. I wish I had the paper to get PWJ.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    But wait, there's always Wolverine: First Class!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So that preview of The Twelve looks pretty cool, I think I might add it to my list.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    You guys, I am seriously so excited for Secret Invasion I don't even know how to explain it.

Also, Bagley's just doing the one arc for Mighty Avengers, right? (because that looked awesome and I need to prepare myself for his departure)

He's doing two issues.

Also, Jason Aaron is writing the next arc of both Wolverine and Ghost Rider. I think he's only done one or two other non-Scalped books, and I haven't read them, so I'm looking forward to what he does with Wolverine.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Not so much a preview as it is a tease, but Pete Woods recently announced on his site that he's beginning work on an already established monthly series.

To those other three or four people on the planet that read it, it's pretty obvious he's moving on to Infinity Inc after the end of the second arc in April (issue #8), replacing artist Max Fiumara.

GloveDate.jpg

upcoming.jpg

The girl on the front is obviously Natasha, and the one behind her has to be Erik / Erika. Hopefully this change can help move the book in a better direction, as I'd like to see it stick around.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    God why couldn't Cory Walker have done all three issues of this PWJ arc?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The rumor is he couldn't keep up with the schedule.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited January 2008
    Bad Karma wrote: »
    Not so much a preview as it is a tease, but Pete Woods recently announced on his site that he's beginning work on an already established monthly series.

To those other three or four people on the planet that read it, it's pretty obvious he's moving on to Infinity Inc after the end of the second arc in April (issue #8), replacing artist Max Fiumara.

The girl on the front is obviously Natasha, and the one behind her has to be Erik / Erika. Hopefully this change can help move the book in a better direction, as I'd like to see it stick around.

Maybe I'll start picking it up again then. This first arc has made almost no sense. It's too weird for its own good.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2008
    The rumor is he couldn't keep up with the schedule.

that's not really a surprise at all

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Keith wrote: »

Maybe I'll start picking it up again then. This first arc has made almost no sense. It's too weird for its own good.

Yeah. It really seemed to have nothing to do with the characters from 52. It was like some weird adventures through horror and psychology.

Bloods End on
  • Options
    Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh sweet jeebus, how the hell does Chaykin keep getting work?!

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Consistency, timeliness, and probably being easy to work with.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Just because a goose shits every day at the same time doesn't mean you should keep it around if the eggs are rotten every freaking time.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Lol Hyperbole. Chaykin's not as bad as everyone makes him out to be. Being a middling to decent artist with those three qualities means you get work consistently in the comics industry.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I dare you to say this is 'middling' art. Goddamn, there's better shit on ACdeviantart for fucks' sake.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »

Yeah. It really seemed to have nothing to do with the characters from 52. It was like some weird adventures through horror and psychology.

Here's full art and some preview/concept art.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I like the "team costume" look, but it kind of makes them DC's X-Men now

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I dare you to say this is 'middling' art. Goddamn, there's better shit on ACdeviantart for fucks' sake.

There is something very wrong with that picture. Wolverine's arm, hand, claws and that guy's sword... something is very wrong there. I do not diddly about art terminology, but there is something screwy there. Perspective? The angles seem wrong and the pose looks impossible

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    'Anatomy'.

Synthetic Orange on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Just because a goose shits every day at the same time doesn't mean you should keep it around if the eggs are rotten every freaking time.

Who the hell eats goose eggs?

Where in the frell do you get this horrible metaphors?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Frell? really? I think that is worse than using goose instead of chicken. I know people that eat goose eggs.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What people?

Hippies?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

To be fair, most art on deviant art would count as pinup work anyway, which is somewhat different from sequential art, so it's almost not a fair comparison. As it is, I'm not mortally offended by this like some of you guys seem to be. It looks decent enough to me. Chaykin's a competent enough artist with plenty of experience drawing comics. Add in his page turnover rate, how easy he is to work with, and connections he's got in the industry, and that explains why a guy who is decent at his best manages to stay employed.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Pete Woods is so friggin great at what he does. His designs are going to help turn this rag tag group of mental defectives into a full fledged team. I love it.

Aaand...according to the latest DC Nation, he'll be doing an arc on Wonder Woman with Gail!

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

To be fair, most art on deviant art would count as pinup work anyway, which is somewhat different from sequential art, so it's almost not a fair comparison. As it is, I'm not mortally offended by this like some of you guys seem to be. It looks decent enough to me. Chaykin's a competent enough artist with plenty of experience drawing comics. Add in his page turnover rate, how easy he is to work with, and connections he's got in the industry, and that explains why a guy who is decent at his best manages to stay employed.

Put your right arm straight up, do you see how the back of your hand faces to your right?

Now put your left arm up and get the back of your left hand to also face right. Do you see how uncomfortable that is? Do you see what an idiot you look like? NOW BLOCK A SWORD WITH THE BACK OF YOUR LEFT HAND.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hah, wow, I didn't notice that. His entire arm is broken.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

Don't worry. It's Wolverine.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Mr Pink wrote: »

Don't worry. It's Wolverine.

if a man whose bones are coated in an unbreakable metal has one of them break then there is a problem somewhere

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    What people?

Hippies?

No, I don't eat goose eggs.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Humberto Ramos put up some new Runaways art on his blog.

I...am not a huge fan of his work, so I'll not comment on it before you see it.
    the_ganglow.jpg

I guess his Karolina (Karoline?) isn't terrible.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ramos is so cartoony I just have a hard time buying anything he does takes place in the same universe as anything else in the Marvel U.

august on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I like Ramos' art personally - the Spider-Man story of his I re-read last night was pretty sweetly done.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I like Ramos. His work can be a little jarring coming off a different artist (say Larocca), but it's clear and expressive and recognizable. I think he's handled his X-Men work pretty well.

wwtMask on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Runaways is a really good assignment for him, honestly.

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't like Ramos for Runaways. He's never really been the kind of artist that's good at doing character moments, subtle facial expressions, or body language. His faces tend to come in three varieties: roaring ape-face, thin-lipped frown, and smirk. I love the guy's art on action books, but at its core, I think Runaways is much more of a character-driven teen drama, punctuated with the occasional superhero action scene. He may do great on it, but I don't see him syncing with Terry Moore's style of writing.

Munch on
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Chase's tee shirt made me smile

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I don't like the proportion ratio of head:body on Chase, and Ramos' trademark big feet are a little odd to see on the girls, but for the most part I like it.

And if you look at the blog post accompanying the sketch:
    Hey people, Happy 2008, I’m back and ready to get the best of this year beginning with this, my first official shot of the runaways. This is a little sketch i did to let the editors know what is my approach to the kids, this may not be the final word on how they look, but hey, is the first one.

Honestly, I hope they keep his way, I like them, even the skrull girl.

DarkPrimus on
This discussion has been closed.