As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Rummaged around and found them. Might try on a sacrificial model. Basecoat in blue metallic, zenithal highlight with the green one.

3YWRzuGl.jpg

That + gold trim = MAXIMUM BLING

Also I have some mid-90s metal Howling Banshees somewhere I can try on.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    But why metal models?

Easy to strip.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    No give them to me so I can paint them 90's style.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »
    Easy to strip.

But why metal models?

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Well, I loved my metal Valhallans. They did help me finish collecting all the SM stuff I wanted though, once I sold them. Until new stuff comes out.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    2pkklo7iwh5p.jpg

starting on my Shadowspear models with the techniques I learned in class over the weekend

I tried doing the skin by blending colors instead of just doing a wash

TIFunkalicious on
    2pkklo7iwh5p.jpg

starting on my Shadowspear models with the techniques I learned in class over the weekend

Any good YouTube videos to learn this power?

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I spent a lot of time yesterday watching anything that came up on YouTube after searching for Space Marines layering.

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Fear not, citizen! The iServ pro is here to solve all your painting woes:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-AUpJmzPdo

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    honovere wrote: »
    The way Forgeworld do their Alpha Legion is probably pretty similar.

I think someone from this thread once mailed and asked them and got a pretty detailed PDF with their schemes.

Plenty of non-GW paints, of course.

It was me. All Tamiya.
    1. AIRBRUSH WITH THINNED TAMIYA GUN METAL
    2. AIRBRUSH FROM TOP OF MODEL WITH TAMIYA FLAT ALUMINIUM
    3. MIX A LITTLE TAMIYA CLEAR GREEN WITH TAMIYA CLEAR BLUE (25/75 MIX) AND AIRBRUSH
    OVER THE MODEL IN 2 THINNED COATS
    4. AIRBRUSH ARMOUR PANELS WITH TAMIYA CLEAR BLUE. BLENDING FROM MIDDLE OF FIGURE
    DOWN, SO THE STRONGEST BLUE COLOUR IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PANNELS
    5. AIRBRUSH FROM THE MIDDLE UPWARDS WITH TAMIYA CLEAR GREEN
    6. USING AN AIRBRUSH BLEND A HIGHLIGHT ON THE HIGHEST PANNELS (HEAD, SHOULDER PADS,
    TOP OF BACKPACK) WITH TAMIYA FLAT ALUMINIUM WITH A TINY AMOUNT OF TAMIYA SKY
    BLUE, EXTREMELY THINNED DOWN.
    7. APPLY SEVERAL TIN COATS OF TAMIYA CLEAR BLUE OVER THE HIGHLIGHT AND BLEND INTO THE
    SURROUNDING AREA.

Colored metallics are quick, but they lack a certain je ne sais quoi when compared to Tamiya clears over metallics.

Also, if you're going to be using Tamiya through an airbrush, wear a respirator. I didn't the first time I used them and I'm pretty sure I've got a bunch of holes in my brain now.

Mayday wrote: »
    Easy to strip.

But why metal models?

I didn't want to say anything right away but I really appreciate you backing me up on this joke.

• JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I got a new thing today. :D

0MvS3IB.jpg

Desk shot for scale. Now I have definitely bitten off more than I can chew, the number of sprues contained within is staggering.

J on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Purple
    If anybody asks, I will deny licking my screen. I never knew something that awesome existed.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    "I don't often spend $500 on a model (shut-up, Forge World), but when I do, it's something like that."

Man, Bandai's perfect grade kits are amazing. I look forward to seeing that finished.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    I like that laser-cut paint pot tray thingy tho

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Purple
    What a strange circle that ship has traveled, from originally being scrapped together from old cheap scale model parts, to now being its own precisely, lovingly reproduced scale model.

TheGerbil wrote: »
    2pkklo7iwh5p.jpg

Any good YouTube videos to learn this power?

Not a video, but what I did is covered pretty well in this article http://www.hessers.space/blog/layering-glazing-wet-blending/

a little more than halfway down it talks about using glazes to smooth out opaque layers that are next to each other

edited April 2019
    I think this guy's done until I do bases, transfers, and stuff like heat burn on muzzles for the whole army. I can always do more but I'm trying to keep a pace to get an actual painted black legion army on the table this year

c6d9inew9q8k.jpg
    6t37n087o9wd.jpg
    zaf1ae4n0xoj.jpg
    uz9ea9r10537.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    That skin looks so much better than the bubblegum pink.

website_header.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    McGibs wrote: »

The whole idea is their flesh is turning into machinery, so the skin turning grey makes a lot more sense than pink.

But then, I guess 'makes sense' kind of goes against it being Chaos?

Either way, I like how it looks better.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple

It really bothers me how "healthy" GW's chaos flesh colors tend to be.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

Well they did come out with the a grey skin paint
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWz0eNbcvrg

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular

They're bursting with health and vigor!

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular

Health and Virgor is what the Obliterator calls his armgun and shoulder gun.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Purple

I know this is a typo, but I like to think obliterators would say virgior because they can’t pronounce it. They’re just big gentle dumb giants. Like Lenny from Of Mice and Men but with guns instead of hugs.

“Look at the bullets George!”

• MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    Norgoth wrote: »

I know this is a typo, but I like to think obliterators would say virgior because they can’t pronounce it.

I like how the word virgioer is getting more and more mutated with each post.

Purple
    We here in the colonies aren't fans of the Queen's English, nor her vigour.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    Spent like a week and a half painting a squad of intercessors (although I gave them regular marine helmets because I think they are better).
    As always they are painted up as Transformers, this bunch being some of the Micromasters that came out in the early 90s (and recently getting released again in the current toyline). These were some of my favourite toys as a kid so I put in more effort than normal and decided to edge highlight everything. Which is why they took so long for me to do.
    First up the Rescue Patrol. (L-R Seawatch, Red Hot, Stakeout, Fixit) Really happy with Stakeouts highlighting in particular, and Redhot's plasma gun
    eevtkag1rn5d.jpg
    and the Race Car Patrol (L-R: Swindler, Freewheeler, Swindler, and Roadhandler), Can I just say painting yellow is so annoying! Also for some reason I forgot to highlight Swindler's grey bits.)
    68skd9j6fbqy.jpg
    And lastly the Battlefield Headquarters team, a pair of combiners who drove around in this big massive truck set, also one of the bots transformed into a smaller version of. (L-R Full-Barrell, Overflow). For some unknown reason young me absolutely loved Overflow so I gave his model as many guns as he could carry.
    tj1axiqx51i0.jpg

I'm thinking at some point I should probaly pick up some rules for 40k (maybe Killzone) and actually play a game with all the marines I have.

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    @GaryO Have you done a Beachcomber? The chrome-green Generation 2 version was my first official Transformers toy, so I've got a big ol' soft spot for him.

• GaryOGaryO Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Delduwath wrote: »
    @GaryO Have you done a Beachcomber? The chrome-green Generation 2 version was my first official Transformers toy, so I've got a big ol' soft spot for him.
    I have done a Beachcomber! I didn't do a super detailed paint job on him though, because he was one of like 30 I had assembled at the time and I got a bit burnt out painting them all. Ive got just over 200 marines done in 3 years now, and about another 20-30 planned so far, (Including a Forgefiend as Trypticon), and that should hopefully be all be the original G1 cartoon bots, apart from a couple of very minor appearances
    Then that just leaves the other cartoons and IDW comic only people like Rung and the DJD.

I reckon i'm probably gonna end up somewhere in the region of 3 companies worth of marines at least if not more. I really need to get a girlfriend.
    Anyway here's Beachcomber for ya
    slfmfambuokg.jpg

GaryO on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Girlfriends are good, especially if they're willing to help paint or support your addiction.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    As an alternative to the severely overpriced citadel sculpting tools, what does everyone use for applying basing material?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Primed my brother's poxbringer for him. The airbrush I normally used is basically busted, the plunger just stays down now. I checked the hose and where it connects but nothing seems off. I tried using the airbrush with a much smaller paint well but the paint came out way too thin. The prime isn't bad but I feel like I did badly.

The other issue is even without pulling back on the plunger the paint is coming out.

Not sure if it being white and the lighting is making it look off but the picture makes it look like I missed spots.

I think I'm gonna do another thin coat.
    q1dqsp5.jpg
    CdGabj9.jpg
    CWqyQhQ.jpg

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Purple
    Khraul wrote: »
    As an alternative to the severely overpriced citadel sculpting tools, what does everyone use for applying basing material?

Go to your local DIY and big-box art stores. You'll find options.

I use this:
    https://m.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html

And something that's basically identical to this:
    https://www.joann.com/firefly-modeling-tool-set-4pcs-/2443471.html#q=Sculpting+tool&start=1

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Purple
    After a long hiatus I was finally able to get back to painting. Here's a WiP, I think im going to do edge highlights and call it done:
    sJlBb9r.jpg?1
    RqVTElH.jpg?1

The seam line on the tornado is killing me but I dont think its fixible even if I puddied it and repainted.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Primed my brother's poxbringer for him. The airbrush I normally used is basically busted, the plunger just stays down now. I checked the hose and where it connects but nothing seems off. I tried using the airbrush with a much smaller paint well but the paint came out way too thin. The prime isn't bad but I feel like I did badly.

The other issue is even without pulling back on the plunger the paint is coming out.

Not sure if it being white and the lighting is making it look off but the picture makes it look like I missed spots.

I think I'm gonna do another thin coat.
    q1dqsp5.jpg
    CdGabj9.jpg
    CWqyQhQ.jpg

The photo makes it look like you over sprayed and filled in details.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    Nips wrote: »
    Khraul wrote: »

Go to your local DIY and big-box art stores. You'll find options.

I use this:
    https://m.harborfreight.com/6-piece-pick-set-93514.html

And something that's basically identical to this:
    https://www.joann.com/firefly-modeling-tool-set-4pcs-/2443471.html#q=Sculpting+tool&start=1

That's awesome, I'll check those out.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
This discussion has been closed.