As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PbP] Rhapsody of Blood - Faded Glory (1 Bloodline Remains)

• EgosEgos Registered User regular
    Save us @discrider , you're our only hope ;-)

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    There is a soft click behind Zalan.

"Duck", states Rachel, as she trains her long-barreled rifle on the bejeweled skeleton.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Face the Horde

Face the Horde:
    2d6+2 11 [2d6=3, 6]

edited March 2019
    There is a shower of gold as the decrepit focus explodes.

Rachel flips her hammer in her hands to conceal the smoking barrels back underneath the now-locked head of the hammer.

As the corpse's menagerie fall to the ground, now unsustained, Rachel looks around.
    "The other denizens probably heard that. We should keep moving before more arrive."
    Not sure if that counts against the Rachel - Peter pact to take it to three, heh

discrider on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Egos, Line It Up wouldn't have necessarily worked here. Minions generally don't get the dignity of a proper confrontation. We'll that be this time as a turn of luck.

And that does not raise the Pact. You generally need to be directly protecting Peter from Harm to make it work.

The choir collapsed, bleeding profusely from Rachel's strange device. The explorers could hear the rattling of armor approaching.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited March 2019
    bleh meant to try and See Clear. Tired.

Oh well fits with the false bravado...in a weird meta way. ;-)

Egos on
    edited March 2019
    Zalan turns to Rachel and bows in gratitude. Then nodding in agreement with the slayer.
    sorry for the short post, originally had a question but realized I misread something.

Egos on
  • AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    "A moment" The Medic says quietly, advancing towards Zalan, medkit in hand. Peter found himself towards the back of the pack naturally, even though the large mallet he carried would only be useful close up. He knew his role, however, and what he had come along to do. You can't heal corruption from the land if you're trying to smash everything, so while his hands tightened around the wooden handle he carried frequently, the itch to charge forward and swing always there, he pushed it down under the surface, letting Zalan and Rachel take the lead.

Results:
    Zalan heals 3 harm
    Zalan ignores contamination next time they would mark it
    Question - Which exit will take me to my goal?
    Geth, roll 2d6+1 Stop Bleeding. Walk it off.

Bleeding. Walk it off.:
    2d6+1 10 [2d6=5, 4]

AustinP0027 on
    edited March 2019
    ITT Rachel and Gergo may need healing more than I do, I've just taken contamination

Egos on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Gergo unplugs his ears and surveys the room...
    What here is valuable?
    Geth, roll 3d6k2+1 for See Clear

See Clear:
    3d6k2+1 9 [3d6k2=[5, 3], 1]

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Egos wrote: »
    ITT Rachel and Gergo may need healing more than I do, I've just taken contamination
    Shoot. Sorry, I misremembered who took damage from the previous room vs. contamination.

I'll leave it since it was already done, but i"ll make a point to heal up Gergo here soon.

edited March 2019
    Egos wrote: »
    Shoot. Sorry, I misremembered who took damage from the previous room vs. contamination.

I'll leave it since it was already done, but i"ll make a point to heal up Gergo here soon.
    I believe you already have; Rachel's the only one left with 2 harm taken I think

discrider on
    Yep, went back. Rachel's next (I flipped which of the two I healed)

If you all would just stop getting hurt we wouldn't have this problem! :D

Yep, went back. Rachel's next (I flipped which of the two I healed)

If you all would just stop getting hurt we wouldn't have this problem! :D
    Getting hurt is kinda the point here though, at least for Rachel's build

Gergo looked about. The skeleton had been shattered, but it’s burial robes seemed familiar. Rummaging for a book from his sack, he found a copy of an illumination. He was staring at the broken remains of St. Angilbert.

The gold of this room was stamped with an unrecognizable language. It appeared to be a Latin derivative, but it was still foreign sounding.

Peter saw at least 2 other exits from the chamber, but both passages had become occupied by squads of guards, brought by the screams of the slain choir.

Hail Hydra
    Rachel spins her hammer in her hands, crouching slightly as she readies herself.
    "Time's up everybody. Are we headed left or right?"

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    "Just a moment, please."

Gergo approaches the skeleton to examine the remains. A strange place to find one of Charlemagne's courtiers!

He examines the skeleton more closely for any obvious relics or items he can recover.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

"What happened to these being 'treasures the Castle uses to lure explorers to it'?", Rachel remarks somewhat incredulously, keeping close behind the Reckoner nonetheless.

"Oh, they most assuredly are," says Gergo, absently, as he fusses with the remains, "but that doesn't explain how a saint's bones got here. My interest lies in understanding what's going on here, not enriching myself."

kshu0oba7xnr.png

edited April 2019
    Zalan thanks Peter and then moves over to Rachel and Gergo. Overhearing Gergo's last statement,
    "What's wrong with enriching yourself?" Zalan interjects "Death is always looming, might as well." He looks down at the skeletal remains of the saint, his tone changes
    "You suppose he was trying to stop the Master of "this place" as well?"

Egos on
    edited April 2019
    Peter takes the group's moment of pause to address Rachel's wounds as well. He wasn't all that interested in the skeleton that Gergo was investigating, another soul that fell to the evil of this place, but one too far gone for his skills to help. So, instead, his plan was to fix up the group that he traveled with. At some point they would be forced to fight, so they needed to be at full strength.

Results:
    Rachel is healed for 3 Harm.

I wasn't kidding when I said I was creating a healbot.

Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Heal, Heal, Heal the group

Heal, Heal, Heal the group:
    2d6+1 9 [2d6=2, 6]

AustinP0027 on
    The saint's remains had no appreciable items , though they did rest on a pile of gold. The others saw as the guard pressed in with their forest of pikes, encircling.

"Halt, in the name of the Emperor!"

Hail Hydra
    edited April 2019

So do they have us completely surrounded in a circle at this point? Or are they still spreading out?

Egos on
    they have encircled you, since you have spent time examining the room

Hail Hydra
    edited April 2019
    "Well, I guess that's us done then.", Rachel says, swishing her head from side to side in sarcasm.

Then she charges.

Rachel struggles to clear a path to an exit, pushing back the pikes left and right.
    Quickly though she finds herself forced into a precarious position, and suffers harm as well.

Geth roll 2d6+2 for Facing the Horde

Facing the Horde:
    2d6+2 8 [2d6=2, 4]

discrider on
    edited April 2019
    As Zalan looks around the chamber, the expression on his face becomes more and more distressed. As Rachel charges the group of monsters surrounding them, Zalan sheaths his warclub on his back and then holds his arms out to make a cross. He then begins to utter something indecipherable - a prayer or incantation from a bygone era. The shadows in the room flicker and then move unnaturally across the room gathering en-masse at the young man's boots. The pool of shadows then slowly begin to crawl up Zalan's legs...eventually enveloping his entire body in darkness.
    Geth Roll 2d6+1 for Soul Fusion (Sulfur)

Soul Fusion (Sulfur):
    2d6+1 6 [2d6=2, 3]

Egos on
    I believe that's corruption no. 3 @Egos and you get a Blood level.

I think I ignore it due to Austin/Peter's healing move here. Though not 100%

yeah, missed that sorry :P

Hypothetically, is a dead saint on a mountain of gold an appropriate Drink Deep option and, if so, would anyone like to give Gergo advantage by distracting these guys or similar?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'm honestly still trying to understand how minions work in this system. Rules use the words "tear through them" for Face the Horde success, but I'm not sure if that means total victory, or just a good hit, so I don't know if Rachel took care of them or not.

If not, I'll volunteer to find a way to give Gergo advantage (especially since the other two have taken moves and I haven't, so it kind of fits timeline)

The basic impression I have is that each Ward is supposed to feel like one level / zone and be an attrition battle til we reach the local Regent[, at which point we rest, rinse, repeat. We accumulate Corruption as part of that process - mostly as a consequence on partial successes - which powers us up over time but also shapes later Castle iterations.

All the non-Regent enemies are basically an inconvenience/ opportunity or resource cost. They're also a narrative element and clue. We could've left via Travel the Labyrinth but I slowed us down in search or loot or info, so more minions.

So basically, at this point I'm pretty certain from context we'll get some kind of would-be wealthy king Regent here and hoping Gergo - or someone else, I don't actually care that it's me - can get some kind of powerup to use in that fight or if we're on the ropes.

You'd think, since I can spend Travel The Labyrinth hold, I'd be more interested in hurrying, but I need a real good reason to do it since I'm literally spending our progress if I do.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I was thinking you had to roll a 10+ on Travel the Labrynth to arrive at a place of power,etc. where you could Drink Deep.

Granted like you said there is a dead saint, even if he doesn't have anything "good" items on his body

Rachel smashed through the guards with reckless abandon, though their numbers meant she was slashed by several of their pikes in the process. As she charged the last one, they pressed a panel on the wall, causing the floor to give way beneath her, leaving her dangling from the edge of a pit lined with gem-encrusted spikes as the last guard fled.

Zalan wrapped himself in darkness, attempting to draw out his shadow’s speed to save her. The swirling dark lashed out with a tendril, knocking her loose. She fell, stabbed by the trap. The tendril slithered down after and absorbed some her blood.
    The tempo of Castle exploration is such that you are in a race against time and attrition. You have to explore to find the Acolytes and the Regent, but doing so leads you into possible peril. You can rest to recover from fighting, but doing so will usually advance the Regent’s clock. Thusly, you have to balance your resources and decide when it’s best to confront the Regent before time runs out, while figuring the Regent’s plot and how their Acolytes factor into it.

Wards are absolutely “levels”, but in metroidvania fashion, you don’t have to complete all of them or in a specific order to succeed. Minions are defeated completely on any face the horde of 7+, The amount just determines how much it costs to destroy them.

Rachel suffers 2 harm, Zalan gains 1 contamination

If Gergo wishes to Drink Deep from this vault, he may attempt to do so with Disadvantage, as Angilbert’s remains aren’t particularly potent.

Hail Hydra
    edited April 2019
    Peter had been witness to Gergo's sudden and enthusiastic upswing in piety after pulling him out of a collapsed mineshaft, but even he is surprised to see Gergo ignore the fight and pray over the saint's remains. The man had only been Charlemagne's chancellor, not a warrior of the faith! He's even more surprised when Gergo rises after his reverie with a strange light in his eyes...
    I'm pretty sure our Covenant's inapplicable in this case, as is the one between me and Egos, so I'll just roll!

Geth roll 3d6kl2 for Drink Deep

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

Just 'l' I think

Geth roll 3d6l2

3d6l2 8 [3d6l2=[4, 4], 6]

kshu0oba7xnr.png

@Matev , does Rachel have advantage on the Flow like water roll here because of the previous See Clear on the guards that told us they could activate traps?
    Otherwise, Rachel will call for help from Peter @AustinP0027 , which is 2 -> 1 covenant points.. that might gain another from the assist?

Gergo has learned It Is Written! By paying the price, the caster may dictate 1 thing that will be in the next room. (GM's discretion)

@discrider , I'll allow Rachel advantage on the Flow Like water for this roll

Hail Hydra
    edited April 2019
    As the last fiend fled, Rachel heard the click and realised her mistake.
    She manages to pull up short, just as the floor opened up around her.
    Throwing herself backwards, she gets both arms back over the precipice.

Quickly regaining her breath, her powerful legs scrabble to get purchase.
    The lip overhangs the pit however, and she flails uselessly.

"Damn!", Rachel spits as she attempts to bodily haul herself out.

Geth roll 3d6k2-1 for armour is heavy

armour is heavy:
    3d6k2-1 4 [3d6k2=[3, 2], 1]

discrider on
    Does a successful Travel the Labyrinth mean we've "montaged" away Rachel being stuck in the pit, or do we need to get her out before we'd be able to travel?