As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2019 BYOC Megathread (PATCH YOUR PC Edition & Games)

DrogithDrogith She who runneth the BYOCPittsfield, NHRegistered User regular
****PATCH YOUR PC BEFORE YOU ARRIVE****

If you're getting this, that means you have purchased a BYOC spot at PAX East to bring your computer and play on our dedicated network alongside a couple hundred friends you haven't met yet. To help make sure your BYOC festivities go smoothly, we've put together a little information packet for you. If you ever have any questions, feel free to email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com or to help ensure others benefit from your question, post in our forums.

--- Getting There ---

If you're travelling by car and getting there between 8:00am and 12:00pm on Thursday or Friday, pull into the Westin/BCEC area at the base of the giant media wall. Follow this road (West Side Drive) all the way past the building, and down and back up the ramp. Keep following the road until you get to Level 1 Southwest. This will be the first glass vestibule you come to on your right hand side.

We will have signs posted where the load-in area will be and there will be Enforcers inside the building manning a security station that can hold your equipment for you while you park your car.

For those of you staying at the Westin, you've got a bit of a walk...sorry about that! Go straight from the skybridge connecting the Westin and the BCEC and down the escalator. Keep going the same direction through North Lobby and around the Northwest corner of the building. Keep following the hallway until you get to "Southwest Lobby B2". This will be the second lobby you come to, just past the food court. From there you can make use of either the RIGHT escalator or the elevator down to the PC Room level (Level 0/ Hall Southwest C1).

Note that BYOC opens at 8:00am on Thursday and Friday, two hours earlier than the rest of the show. Obviously, that's pending our ability to make sure things are totally ready for you, but our goal is you'll be able to set up your rig with plenty of time to hop in the Expo Hall line.

--- Basic LAN Party Information ---

If you've never been to a LAN party, be sure to bring the following equipment:

PAX Badge
BYOC Badge
Computer
Monitor (Please no bigger than 27" LCD) and connecting cable
Keyboard
Mouse (we recommend wired, just to avoid any potential interference)
Mouse pad
Ethernet cable (25 feet should be sufficient, but longer is always better)
Power cables (but no extension cords or power strips. Maximum of two power connected devices)
Headphones
Games CDs/DVDs, Windows CD, and backups for other programs you may need to install/reinstall.

We suggest printing off this list checking each item as you pack it. If you end up forgetting something, talk to an Enforcer and we might be able to help out.

--- Pre-PAX Prep---

Please update/patch your games before coming to PAX. This includes updating Steam, Impulse, Origin, and such. You will have access to the Internet, but bandwidth is extremely limited...you'll almost certainly get faster downloads at home.

Please be sure to enable virus protection on your computer before connecting it to our network. Any computers that are found with a virus will be immediately disconnected from the network until the matter is resolved.

--- PAX East Badge Registration ---

Your PAX East BYOC badges should be mailed to you shortly if you haven't received them already. Should you have questions or issues with this, please contact registration@paxsite.com.

--- PAX East Schedule ---

The PAX East BYOC schedule is as follows:
Thursday: 8:00am - 12:00am
Friday: 8:00am - 12:00am
Saturday: 10:00am - 12:00am
Sunday: 10:00am - 6:00pm

--- Tournament Schedule ---

The PC Tournament Schedule will be found on our forums right here when it announced. Note this does not account for the various BYOC contests we'll be peer pressuring you into.

--- BYOC Contests ---

The BYOC staff will be running organized games throughout each day in the games on the list. Some of the activities will have signups ahead of time while others you can just jump in game and join us. Extended descriptions for each of the organized events will be posted on the PAX Forums. Scheduled times will be available on site starting at check-in.

--- Security Information ---

There's a lot more to do at PAX than just play PC games, and we want you to be able to go do all of these things secure in the knowledge that your computer and peripherals are safe and sound. To that end, we probably put a much higher emphasis on security than most other LAN parties. Before you enter the PAX BYOC area, you will have to quickly register your computer and any monitor you're bringing into the computer area. We've gone to great lengths to keep the security processes in check, and as such, please keep your BYOC badge as visible as possible when entering the room.

While we will make every attempt to keep all equipment in the room safe, be aware that there is little we can do to prevent iPods, tablets, portable game consoles, CD's, big wads of cash, and other small items from walking off. We strongly suggest you keep such items out of plain view and use some common sense when it comes to your own security. If you're coming with a laptop, we also STRONGLY recommend you invest in a laptop lock. Seriously.

--- Voice Chat Information ---

We will have Discord servers available for tournaments and public gaming. While we will have the client available on our file server, it is recommended that you download and install Discord before you come to the event if you think there’s a chance you’d like to use it. You can download the client at https://discordapp.com/.

If you have any PC related questions at all during PAX, please see the BYOC Help Desk. If they're not able to provide a solution, they'll be able to direct you to the right people to get your problem solved.

--- Internet Connection and Gaming ---

At a large venue such as PAX there can be limited bandwidth available during peak times such as check-in. Please make sure you patch your games and system prior to arriving to save a little frustration on site.

==============================================

yx1i87m92tky.png

• DrogithDrogith She who runneth the BYOC Pittsfield, NHRegistered User regular
    GAMES GAMES GAMES

So every year we try to mix things up with old and recent games. And if you've been to BYOC as much as I have, you know how sometimes things go left, so we turn right 3 times and keep driving. That being said, here's a list of usual suspects for BYOC.
    Diablo 2
    Starcraft
    Minecraft
    CS
    Rocket League
    League of Legends
    Overwatch

Now BR games are very big right now, so it wouldn't hurt to also have games like APEX/Fortnite/etc... loaded up just in case. We'll also be doing the traditional hard drive shuffleboard and not having a Mountain Dew chugging contest RIP 2017-2017

There is also some interest in Red Alert 3 from a previous post. If you own it, load it up! And if you have any questions, please feel free to ask and I'll answer it as best I can, or find someone else that can.

yx1i87m92tky.png

Alright, so just to warn you guys we're potentially adding a new event for BYOC: thumb wrestling. We'll play it by ear, but extra points for luchadors and wrestling costumes. I want gimmicks, I want promos, I want PG-13!

Also, Meowtor needs a Mt. Dew

yx1i87m92tky.png

• Smiley_MassacreSmiley_Massacre Registered User regular
    What about food and drinks? I saw from a previous thread that we can only bring in a lunchbox of food, but does that mean both food and drinks in one lunchbox? A lunchbox for food and another for drink?

• CRISPYCRISPYCRISPYCRISPYCRISPYCRISPY Registered User regular
    A few questions:
    1. Does a docked Switch count as a console?
    2. I am bringing a low-end laptop, a switch, and a 24-inch monitor. I also have a 3-outlet power strip. Can I use this strip for my stuff (using one outlet at the table), so I don't have to keep unplugging/plugging in stuff? I will only be using either the laptop or the switch at one time, not both.
    3. What is the surface area we will have (i.e. inches wide, deep)?

What about food and drinks? I saw from a previous thread that we can only bring in a lunchbox of food, but does that mean both food and drinks in one lunchbox? A lunchbox for food and another for drink?

So there is usually never any issue with bringing food in. But you can, by no means, bring an item that requires power to run: mini-fridge, crockpot, hot plate, etc... I would also highly suggest not bringing anything that requires ice to keep cold. There is always the chance of a leak and a lot of bad things can & will happen. Grab a cooler with a handle, load some stuff from the hotel room/home, your good to go! Just be smart about it!

yx1i87m92tky.png

A few questions:
    1. Does a docked Switch count as a console?
    2. I am bringing a low-end laptop, a switch, and a 24-inch monitor. I also have a 3-outlet power strip. Can I use this strip for my stuff (using one outlet at the table), so I don't have to keep unplugging/plugging in stuff? I will only be using either the laptop or the switch at one time, not both.
    3. What is the surface area we will have (i.e. inches wide, deep)?

1. I thought Switch was a console.
    2. You can only use the power strips provided. The power is distributed evenly among seating. There may or may not be enough outlets to get all your stuff plugged in. Even if there is enough outlet space, there may not be enough shared power if you accidentally have both on at the same time and pop the fuse.
    3. IIRC tables are about 8'x2.5'. 3 people/table gives you about 2.66', which is pretty standard for a LAN if not 2'

yx1i87m92tky.png

edited March 2019
    So then with #1, is a docked Switch allowed?

I'll have enough room to plug stuff in, I'll just need to unplug/plugin the Switch/laptop. That will keep me at 2 outlets.

EDIT: The reason I'm asking about consoles is because I haven't been to PAX in a few years, and back in the day consoles were not allowed.

CRISPYCRISPYCRISPY on
    I think that was due to their portability originally, but a lot of folks bring laptops...

It's totally okay to bring and check in both for the duration of the con. But I would keep it inside the BYOC when leaving for the day for security reasons.

yx1i87m92tky.png

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Drogith wrote: »
    Alright, so just to warn you guys we're potentially adding a new event for BYOC: thumb wrestling. We'll play it by ear, but extra points for luchadors and wrestling costumes. I want gimmicks, I want promos, I want PG-13!

Does this mean we have to touch someone else? Im not ok with that lol

e6txb8m8cavf.png

mayapple wrote: »

Does this mean we have to touch someone else? Im not ok with that lol

You are not required to participate in any of the activities we do. 100% optional!

yx1i87m92tky.png

How about chairs? Can we bring one of those foldable camping chairs?

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    To answer the questions on food/drink. We’ve always brought in snacks and sodas etc. A run to the grocery will save you tons in con food. We also usually order out delivery. Think jimmy johns, Chinese food etc. Several places will meet you at the door with food. Last year the side door opened in the day fine, and it was a great meeting spot.

I’m by now means an official pax person, just a byoc vet. The rule on chairs has always been a pretty strict no. But I have set up a packnplay lol sooo I’m not sure. I wouldn’t see why not to a folding chair. Also this years stuff says nothing about chairs being restricted.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    If you specifically mean BYOC, I'm pretty sure that a chair would be a no. If you mean more generally for PAX, I think someone mentioned in one of the other threads that, while not a hard and fast rule, the general rule of thumb has been that as long the chair wouldn't take up any more space than you personally would, there might not be an issue. I feel like this makes sense, as typically when I've seen people in lines with chair/stools, they've been very small and compact. Of course, I don't work for PAX so don't take that as a definitive answer. I'm sure Enforcers/staff would be well within their right to tell you to put it away if they feel like it's taking too much space and would cause an issue.

XyqJPIp.png
  • DeadenDeaden Registered User new member
    A question about the hours. If BYOC opens at 8am, does that mean we can actually hang out and play at that time? Or do we need to just unload and go get back in line to get back in at 10am?

• havok978havok978 Baltimore, MdRegistered User regular
    Deaden wrote: »
    A question about the hours. If BYOC opens at 8am, does that mean we can actually hang out and play at that time? Or do we need to just unload and go get back in line to get back in at 10am?

Yup. You can jump right in as soon as you get yourself set up.

XyqJPIp.png
  • GannoGanno Registered User regular
    Hey Drogith. If we get to Lvl 1 Southwest before 8am, will there be an indoor queue area?

jaafe2a95twb.png
    Ganno wrote: »
    Hey Drogith. If we get to Lvl 1 Southwest before 8am, will there be an indoor queue area?

I can't speak for when BCEC staff will let you down the escalators. So if they do not let you down before 8am, you'll have to wait upstairs. Otherwise a line generally forms right in front of BYOC until we can start letting everyone in. Nobody is allowed inside the BYOC are until we have Enforcer presence to take over for the BCEC staff members posted there overnight.

yx1i87m92tky.png

• mSWAEmSWAE Registered User regular
    So just to check, I saw a cooler with a handle was OK but no ice - but my large Yeti (supporting a group of six) with those gel ice packs that I take half back each night to the hotel to swap out... that would be OK?

Can you link the cooler? I have a sneaking suspicion it may be close to "that's a bit too big".

yx1i87m92tky.png

• Smiley_MassacreSmiley_Massacre Registered User regular

Let us know what day(s) so I can dress appropriately. OOOOOO YEEEAAAAAHH!

• Penbox11Penbox11 Registered User new member
    edited March 2019

Penbox11 on
  • Penbox11Penbox11 Registered User new member
    edited March 2019

Penbox11 on
  • hellsgoalie hellsgoalie Registered User new member
    Diablo 2
    Starcraft
    Minecraft
    CS
    Rocket League
    League of Legends
    Overwatch

Any other games of interest?

I know I will have Killing Floor 2, RA3, and Starcraft 2 up.

Can you link the cooler? I have a sneaking suspicion it may be close to "that's a bit too big".

Let us know what day(s) so I can dress appropriately. OOOOOO YEEEAAAAAHH!

Friday Be there, or be a pleb BROTHER! We'll be starting off around 1pm

yx1i87m92tky.png

• nycguynycguy Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    not to scare anyone but def patch before you come.. the pc help desk says we're supposed to get 2mb down speeds, but when i ran a test i only got 1.28 this morning and i was 1 of maybe 5 computers set up.
    now i'm barely hitting 0.6mb... fair warning.

however, the pax forums load up just fine :)

one other thing...i swear i read the that the rules stated that monitors could not exceed 24"
    so i specially ordered a 24" for pax east, but as it turns out that is not being enforced and folks are coming in with 29"+ kinda jealous and i coulda just brought what i had at home :/

nycguy on
    So now that PAX is over, I was wondering what you guys thought of the events. I always want to find ways of improving BYOC and make sure you guys have a good time when you aren't on the main floor.

From my perspective, it didn't really seem like a lot of people wanted to sync up for big games on their computers, but we had some amazing signups for shuffle board, paper airplanes, and the triathalon. Do you guys want more group activities like that?

yx1i87m92tky.png

• nycguynycguy Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Hey Drogith,

Actually I was a little disappointed there weren't more people gaming. Firstly, it seemed like BYOC was never fully occupied (which was a little weird TBH). It's like people set their stuff up and never came back lol. Maybe we were just ships passing at sea, but just an observation to share...

Overall, this was my first BYOC and I had a great time. I had the freedom to partake in activities or just go about doing my own thing on my computer. However, I will say that areas that could be improved would be the communication of logistics. For example, as someone mentioned somewhere when you get your BYOC badge there's no information at all regarding what's needed/expected, etc... Thankfully I found the post here with what to bring (otherwise I woulda been in a world of hurt without an ethernet cable). Also, while the big projector screen is nice, due to where I was seated (my back to the screen), I didn't really read the screen all that much because most times it was used as a gaming screen so I didn't know that important info would be flashed on that projected screen. Perhaps having better info dissemination prior to pax would be helpful? (ie: join discord, use this link, etc...). Or as a last resort being told that at check in. I wasn't given a whole lot of info at check in (not that I needed it, but having it available would have been good). With that said, I didn't even know there was a PC freeplay discord, much less a "secret" BYOC channel either until Friday afternoon (1.5days in)

Don't get me wrong and please don't find my feedback as insulting or demeaning in any way. I had an EXTREMELY great time. I arrived early and left late every single day and am appreciative of all the efforts to put on programming/events for the BYOCers. Can't wait til next year!

Finally, to directly answer your question...I'd love a mix of both non gaming and gaming events. The shuffleboard and triathlon sessions were cool.

Thank you all for making it happen.

nycguy on
  • UrdaUrda Registered User new member
    I will state that I really love BYOC, the main reason I love it is because its a quiet area with my computer that I can sit down, relax and play a game or go online if I need to. It has seemed a little empty the past two years, I know getting your computer to and from the event is always such a huge pain (no good access and you never know what door they'll actually let you in) and mainly why I only bring my laptop now.

I would really love to do events but I always either lose track of time or overestimate how long other things will take.

I also think being able to access the BYOC area at 8 AM every day would be nice (maybe hold events at 8)?

One suggestion is maybe have a physical BIG LFG/LFM board where people can post times and games they they will be playing and make it easier for people to meet each other.

Also a weird suggestion, a community board game table could be a fun way to get more people in the BYOC area to play together.

But seriously thank you for doing BYOC it always feels like the sanctuary of PAX for me.

edited April 2019
    nycguy wrote: »
    Hey Drogith,

Actually I was a little disappointed there weren't more people gaming. Firstly, it seemed like BYOC was never fully occupied (which was a little weird TBH). It's like people set their stuff up and never came back lol. Maybe we were just ships passing at sea, but just an observation to share...

Overall, this was my first BYOC and I had a great time. I had the freedom to partake in activities or just go about doing my own thing on my computer. However, I will say that areas that could be improved would be the communication of logistics. For example, as someone mentioned somewhere when you get your BYOC badge there's no information at all regarding what's needed/expected, etc... Thankfully I found the post here with what to bring (otherwise I woulda been in a world of hurt without an ethernet cable). Also, while the big projector screen is nice, due to where I was seated (my back to the screen), I didn't really read the screen all that much because most times it was used as a gaming screen so I didn't know that important info would be flashed on that projected screen. Perhaps having better info dissemination prior to pax would be helpful? (ie: join discord, use this link, etc...). Or as a last resort being told that at check in. I wasn't given a whole lot of info at check in (not that I needed it, but having it available would have been good). With that said, I didn't even know there was a PC freeplay discord, much less a "secret" BYOC channel either until Friday afternoon (1.5days in)

Don't get me wrong and please don't find my feedback as insulting or demeaning in any way. I had an EXTREMELY great time. I arrived early and left late every single day and am appreciative of all the efforts to put on programming/events for the BYOCers. Can't wait til next year!

Finally, to directly answer your question...I'd love a mix of both non gaming and gaming events. The shuffleboard and triathlon sessions were cool.

Thank you all for making it happen.
    Urda wrote: »
    I will state that I really love BYOC, the main reason I love it is because its a quiet area with my computer that I can sit down, relax and play a game or go online if I need to. It has seemed a little empty the past two years, I know getting your computer to and from the event is always such a huge pain (no good access and you never know what door they'll actually let you in) and mainly why I only bring my laptop now.

I would really love to do events but I always either lose track of time or overestimate how long other things will take.

I also think being able to access the BYOC area at 8 AM every day would be nice (maybe hold events at 8)?

One suggestion is maybe have a physical BIG LFG/LFM board where people can post times and games they they will be playing and make it easier for people to meet each other.

Also a weird suggestion, a community board game table could be a fun way to get more people in the BYOC area to play together.

But seriously thank you for doing BYOC it always feels like the sanctuary of PAX for me.

Thank you both for the constructive feedback and in no way shape or form do I take any insult to what is being pointed out. My job is to try and make sure you guys have the best time possible within our means, but I can answer a few things.

Logistics: Some of the information (Discord link, etc) was actually not available until Thursday and took a bit for us to get the information out to everyone. Having seen it's success, I think it should be something added to our checklist for pre-event. I can say the server is a custom setup by Discord at PAX and not something we can connect to once it is shut down. Or until they spool it back up when the show is over apparently.

Information Distribution: I am not sure if PA has consent to distribute emails so I would be able to send something out to everyone. That is also something I will have to ask about for next year, instead of assuming everyone is on the forums. BCC is perfect for stuff like this.

Tabletop Area: This was brought up by Meowtor as well and is something we plan to request for next year.

Signups (LFG): We tried doing something like this for LoL, but I think it may have been executed poorly. I will keep it in mind.

Early Access: So early access was only available for BYOC load-in. It's setup that way so you guys can get your stuff in without fighting the early morning rush. Outside of that, we were not staffed for earlier times in BYOC. That request I actually have no control over as it is determined by the powers that be: our PA overlords.

Drogith on
    yx1i87m92tky.png

• MrFox102MrFox102 Registered User new member
    Hi All!
    This was my first time doing BYOC and I really enjoyed it. Having a place to crash off the floor was fantastic. If anything I over-utilized it, spending very little time on the floor compared to previous years.

My only comment is with regard to logistics. Two of us that came needed to pack up on Saturday night so that we could head home Sunday morning. The enforcers were very helpful, but the consensus seemed they were unsure what to do. It seemed apparent that this was not a contingency BYOC was ready for. We resorted to parking by the entrance (Level 1 SW) Saturday night around 2300hrs, but were informed by both enforcers and security that we "technically" were not supposed to do that. To reinforce that fact, a tow truck showed up right as we were pulling away with our gear. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Circumstances beyond our control prevented us from staying for Sunday, sadly. Otherwise we would have stayed and this would not have been an issue. Just something I thought I should bring up. Other than that I had a fantastic time and WILL be doing BYOC again next year.

5z3rwf9o1o2d.png
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    I'm always bouncing around in and out of the BYOC and I thought it was pretty good this year. The internet was pretty good and I enjoyed a place to rest from the hustle and bustle.

I think the board game table would an awesome addition!

Thanks to all the enforcers for a smooth time!

MrFox102 wrote: »
    Hi All!
    This was my first time doing BYOC and I really enjoyed it. Having a place to crash off the floor was fantastic. If anything I over-utilized it, spending very little time on the floor compared to previous years.

My only comment is with regard to logistics. Two of us that came needed to pack up on Saturday night so that we could head home Sunday morning. The enforcers were very helpful, but the consensus seemed they were unsure what to do. It seemed apparent that this was not a contingency BYOC was ready for. We resorted to parking by the entrance (Level 1 SW) Saturday night around 2300hrs, but were informed by both enforcers and security that we "technically" were not supposed to do that. To reinforce that fact, a tow truck showed up right as we were pulling away with our gear. Maybe a coincidence, maybe not.

Circumstances beyond our control prevented us from staying for Sunday, sadly. Otherwise we would have stayed and this would not have been an issue. Just something I thought I should bring up. Other than that I had a fantastic time and WILL be doing BYOC again next year.

So when it comes to the door logistics, that is something we have set up well beforehand since it needs to be coordinated with the building itself. I do not know if that involves having extra staff on duty or what, but the area where you parked is technically a tow zone. That was even part of our message Sunday for loadout, because people have been towed before while grabbing their things. Under normal circumstances, you would have been instructed about the parking/tow issue. It's possible the Enforcers on duty did not know how an early loadout works since it is usually handled by 1st or 2nd shift. Will definitely add a note about that.

yx1i87m92tky.png