As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

We're all just doing our best for our [Kids]

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I'm helping Luke with a school project tonight. He just tried to center the text in his paper by using the Tab button and eye balling it. I could feel my blood pressure go up and my eye start twitching.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I'm helping Luke with a school project tonight. He just tried to center the text in his paper by using the Tab button and eye balling it. I could feel my blood pressure go up and my eye start twitching.

Is that not how it works?

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Brody wrote: »

Is that not how it works?

Aww c'mon, there's no
    justification
    for making a post like that!

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    In things that kids say news

Ellie can't pronounce "Jett" from Super Wings. His name is instead "Dick".

She does not have the same issues pronouncing "Jerome".

• Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Love my daughter. Hate the word "Why". Now I know WHY some animals eat their young!

50433.png?1708759015
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    ... why?

• ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Janson wrote: »
    Six months ago all four of us regularly squeezed into a full-size bed; we upgraded to a king and tonight I looked over and wondered how two 40 lb kids can look as if they are taking up the entire bed?!

As someone who only has one child sharing the bed regularly (the other won't come near it and has her own) I can tell you that they're like those plants that grow to fit their container. We have a king but it may as well be a twin, and no matter where he starts he literally always ends up on my side. Sure, he has an arm or a leg on his dad's side, but he spends his night slowly pushing me off the bed. It would be pretty nice if just once he could push his dad off the bed instead.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    In things that kids say news

Ellie can't pronounce "Jett" from Super Wings. His name is instead "Dick".

She does not have the same issues pronouncing "Jerome".

Chaya is obsessed with Super Wings. She seems to finally, blessedly be coming off PJ Masks. Now it's all Super Wings, MLP, The Cat in the Hat, Story Bots, and occasionally Pokemon. I was skeptical but I love The Cat in the Hat and it 100% due to Martin Short.

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    Speaking of Sapling, here she is preparing to board her crib and claim it as a prize! Hopefully she shows much courage, and earns a promotion to Post Captain.

Donut PJs! My daughter (5) has the same PJs, she loves them :) .

She's the only one of my three kids (7, 5 and 5) who still likes to wear footy PJs.

Selner wrote: »
    Speaking of Sapling, here she is preparing to board her crib and claim it as a prize! Hopefully she shows much courage, and earns a promotion to Post Captain.

Donut PJs! My daughter (5) has the same PJs, she loves them :) .

She's the only one of my three kids (7, 5 and 5) who still likes to wear footy PJs.

She has some dinosaur PJ's, and one night I was putting her in them and I asked her what noise a dinosaur makes, which we had never made dinosaur noises, so I put my hands up like claws and saw Rawr, but softly cause its bed time, and so now whenever we ask her what noise a dinosaur makes, she puts her hands up and says, very quietly, "rawr".

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Six months ago all four of us regularly squeezed into a full-size bed; we upgraded to a king and tonight I looked over and wondered how two 40 lb kids can look as if they are taking up the entire bed?!

As someone who only has one child sharing the bed regularly (the other won't come near it and has her own) I can tell you that they're like those plants that grow to fit their container. We have a king but it may as well be a twin, and no matter where he starts he literally always ends up on my side. Sure, he has an arm or a leg on his dad's side, but he spends his night slowly pushing me off the bed. It would be pretty nice if just once he could push his dad off the bed instead.

All kids know kung-fu when they are asleep.

• SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    Just got back from a busy airport, it's 11pm and I'm sad. My 32wk pregnant wife and nearly-3 little girl will be jetting to Vietnam shortly. We're just not comfortable with going through with the delivery here in Ethiopia, so they'll stay with my in-laws. My plan is to join them when wife is 37 weeks and hope that I'm there in time.

It didn't need to be so painful at the airport but it was busy, and apparently as my daughter was walking through the metal detector a security guard thought it a good idea to grab her wrist and drag her through. So she was bawling for most of the check-in and our goodbye.

We'll be spending a fair bit of time apart this year but we comfort ourselves with the knowledge that we're not going to make a habit out of it. It's just that this year's going to be tough.

I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    Sprocket gives us the "my stomach hurts" line a lot. I know it's a go-to for kids when they have to do something they don't want to do, but we get it out of the blue occasionally too, often enough that it's a concern. At first we thought it was just the excuse, but it's been a consistent enough thing from her for long enough that we decided to have her checked out. She had blood taken today and they scheduled her for an ultrasound.

I mean, like 99% chance it's just a kid thing, but.. I get whitecoat syndrome at the doctor every time, where even if I'm just there for a med check and refills or whatever totally routine stuff, I still freak the fuck out. When they take my bloodpressure at the beginning of the appointment it's like 150/110 because I don't know. They could tell me anything. If they take it again at the end when it's all over, it's like 110/80 and I'm fine.

So now I'm having proxy whitecoat syndrome because I don't know.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I need some insight

Ellie's been coming home from daycare lately and just at bedtime she's starting to tell us that the other kids are saying things "Thomas and Gemma said that I'm little!" "Sia said that I'm (something else)" "Gemma pinched me"

And the teachers are saying they don't really notice anything, but will keep an eye out. And i'm just trying to gauge how much of it is something is actually happening, and how much of it is Ellie knowing that it's bedtime and if she tells us a story about school she'll get to stay awake?

She's 3 and a smidge and too damned smart for my own good.

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I am so very frustrated by our kids night time sleeping habits right now. It is 1am and I have been trying to get both of them to sleep for over an hour. I am so fucking tired of this.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I need some insight

Ellie's been coming home from daycare lately and just at bedtime she's starting to tell us that the other kids are saying things "Thomas and Gemma said that I'm little!" "Sia said that I'm (something else)" "Gemma pinched me"

And the teachers are saying they don't really notice anything, but will keep an eye out. And i'm just trying to gauge how much of it is something is actually happening, and how much of it is Ellie knowing that it's bedtime and if she tells us a story about school she'll get to stay awake?

She's 3 and a smidge and too damned smart for my own good.

Kids are dickholes to each other. We usually go with "did you tell them you don't like that?" Or "well then don't play with them".
    Also, ask why they said that, as half the time it's something like "well, it's because I said their hair was ugly" or something.
    Our daughters best friend and her used to say that the other bit them. After consulting with that mother (who was a daycare teacher there), we confirmed they were biting themselves and blaming the other. When confronted, they both giggled and ran away.

Yeah we've been telling her to say "no, don't!" If somebody was doing something she didn't like.

I'm not overly worried as she is still happily playing with the boy in this story. Although he seems far more invested in her than she is with him at times.

Hey teachers are all saying that she is moving much closer to hanging out with the older kids now, the four and almost fives. Which might explain the attitude a bit.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    My daughter (3yo) has two best friends at school, both girls a few months older then her. Half the time they all play together, and the rest of the time 2/3 ostracize the third one. And who is ostracized any given day seems random to me.

steam_sig.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    So on Sunday when facing a rather large math assignment my son had what I would best describe as a minor anxiety attack. It was pretty rough and involved him basically freaking out in bed complaining of head and stomach pain and just essentially being worked up into a mess. We calmed him down but Monday I had to scoop him up at school as well.

Turns out Freshman year is really getting to him and he's behind in two classes and doing poorly on tests in one of them and just didn't have the tools to ask for help. So I worked an extra day from home this week to be able to help him after school and I think we're on a better path now.

It's frustrating as a parent to watch. This need to push kids so quickly through topics and meet all the standards is honestly unhealthy for some kids. Fortunately the teachers have been helpful but I wish we could have spared him the fear of his body feeling like it was going to shut down on him.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ceres wrote: »

Mallory is an equal opportunity bed pusher. Mom gets pushed with the hands and feet, Dad gets pushed with the butt.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah we've been telling her to say "no, don't!" If somebody was doing something she didn't like.

I'm not overly worried as she is still happily playing with the boy in this story. Although he seems far more invested in her than she is with him at times.

Hey teachers are all saying that she is moving much closer to hanging out with the older kids now, the four and almost fives. Which might explain the attitude a bit.
    Peanut is 20 months and is constantly gravitating towards older kids, they just keep up with him much better than kids his age.

But it’s heart breaking sometime because he was at the mall play area yesterday, and he will linger around a group of 6/7 year olds trying to have them play with him.

Or the one that wrecks me to point of tears is when he thinks someone is chasing him and he gets excited, runs away and then looks back and no one is there ... ugh.

He recovers quickly but I dunno, it’s an emotional roller coaster ride for me.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I took the baby in for her 4 month appointment. Due to being born premature, she's still at the bottom of the growth curve, but she's catching up! She moved up in weight from 3rd percentile (for term babies) to 10th percentile in two months. Length and head circumference are still low but slowly increasing. Keep chunking up kiddo! Developmentally we're right on target for her gestational age and the doctor thinks she should be fully caught up with her peers by 6 months. We also got several booster shots which makes for a very sad girl.

Spoilered for being a photo of the saddest baby in the entire world
    jfwhk2c8j8wm.jpg

m!ttens wrote: »
    I took the baby in for her 4 month appointment. Due to being born premature, she's still at the bottom of the growth curve, but she's catching up! She moved up in weight from 3rd percentile (for term babies) to 10th percentile in two months. Length and head circumference are still low but slowly increasing. Keep chunking up kiddo! Developmentally we're right on target for her gestational age and the doctor thinks she should be fully caught up with her peers by 6 months. We also got several booster shots which makes for a very sad girl.

Spoilered for being a photo of the saddest baby in the entire world
    jfwhk2c8j8wm.jpg

She looks very sad, but also super adorable.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    In the waiting room at the vasectomy clinic. Two is enough for us, so here we go!

Do you guys like valium? It's pretty neato.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    I was pretty lucky and had hardly any pain after my operation. Other people in this thread, not so much. Good luck Figgy!

DisruptedCapitalist on
    "Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I was awake during the procedure, felt some discomfort, but no pain. Next day was super sore, but fine after that though.

And welcome to the "Heck no, I don't want more kids!" club!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    I am not looking forward to my eventual vasectomy. I can't do opiods, so I'm just gonna have to hope I don't have a whole lot of pain from it.

• El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    It took us 10 years, thousands of dollars and medical intervention (IUI) to finally have our kid. So I'm just gonna skip the whole snip snip thing and be fairly confident that it won't be an issue. And if it is an issue... at least it didn't cost us thousands of dollars this time?

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    El Skid wrote: »
    It took us 10 years, thousands of dollars and medical intervention (IUI) to finally have our kid. So I'm just gonna skip the whole snip snip thing and be fairly confident that it won't be an issue. And if it is an issue... at least it didn't cost us thousands of dollars this time?

FYI it took us over 3 years, multiple miscarriages, and 2 rounds of IUI for us to have our first kid.

We then had sex one time during an ovulation period 8 months later and whoops there's a second kid.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    edited April 2019
    I am not looking forward to my eventual vasectomy. I can't do opiods, so I'm just gonna have to hope I don't have a whole lot of pain from it.

I also can’t do opioids. It wasn’t that bad. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen got me through just fine. I was awake for the procedure and it was... okay.. I metabolize lidocaine crazy fast for some reason, so it started wearing off mid-procedure and that was quite uncomfortable until they hit me with another shot.

Stock up on frozen peas. Get two pairs of boxer briefs, really snug supportive athletic style. Not cotton, they stretch out too much. Polyester-spandex blend. After it’s over, wear one to keep things in place, then wear the other over the top of them to hold a bag of frozen peas nestled up against the goods. Then put on some pajama pants and go play video games until your wife stops taking “but my balls hurt” as an excuse.

Just keep icing your coin purse and taking OTC painkillers and you’ll be fine.

Cog on
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    El Skid wrote: »

FYI it took us over 3 years, multiple miscarriages, and 2 rounds of IUI for us to have our first kid.

We then had sex one time during an ovulation period 8 months later and whoops there's a second kid.

It's been 9 years with no protection/surgery since our miracle and we haven't even had a miscarriage since then, so we seem to be in a somewhat different situation heh. That's definitely a concern, but I don't think either of us would mind another so I think we're okay... we decided we just couldn't spend all that time and money again while we have the one already.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    They gave me valium to start, but I, perhaps foolishly, ate lunch right before and it didn't seem to do much.

The local anesthetic was painful. Like deep, dull pain. Thought ok, that's over...now we're on easy street until I hear "Ok, now the left side." "What?"

Only advil for the pain after though, so nothing major in terms of pain meds.

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My vasectomy was fine, honestly. Like, the most annoying part was the kind of lingering discomfort for a couple weeks afterward. Also sometimes standing up too quickly after sitting down hurt.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Actual conversation:

Doctor: "Ok, the good news is that it was NOT a heart attack and you can go back to work tomorrow. The bad news is your blood pressure was 240/190 when you got here and and it's sitting at 150/100 now. That's almost as bad. Are there any sources of stress in your life you're dealing with?"
    Sam: "I WANNA THROW TONY'S WET DIAPER AT DADDY'S DOCTOR!"
    Me: "Maybe a couple."

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I hope your heart is okay!

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    It was basically like a kick in the balls that lingers for a really long time, that kind of discomfort. I think in some ways my doctor politely suggesting some manscaping to make the procedure easier for him was my worst part.

My doctor was VERY impressed with how well I had shaved. Also my pain tolerance, apparently.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    You fuckin people and your Valium, nobody gave me a single opioid when I had my V and I didn't even know to ask. Outrageous.

• MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Well, it looks like daytime potty training is 80% complete. We just have to be careful that she’s not transfixed by the television for too long. Our poor couch.

Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Well, it looks like daytime potty training is 80% complete. We just have to be careful that she’s not transfixed by the television for too long. Our poor couch.

Ah yes, the ever popular “I felt like I had to go, but I was watching something interesting and didn’t want to pause it” stage! I remember that one!

This discussion has been closed.