As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Sysadmin] Improper Wireshark use has restarted the editor wars.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    That_Guy wrote: »
    spool32 pointed me to https://help.apple.com/businessmanager/ which seems to include some of the secret sauce we need.

Good luck jumping through all the hoops required to set that up.

We already have it, apparently. Nobody's been using it.

There might be a reason for that.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Somebody already set up a Device Enrollment Program account, then delegated the Apple device deployment to somebody else without telling them we have a DEP account, so we've been purchasing devices without them getting added to our DEP :rotate:

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    can you not just hard reset them to remove the email? I've factory reset iphones multiple times. Is this something they disable once they are put onto the business account or something?

If Activation Lock had been enabled, no. If you reset it, it'll just prompt for the original apple ID and password as soon as it comes back up.
    Yeah, we set them up with a default account in the person’s name but there’s nothing stopping them from changing the password. We had one where the person changed everything and then was let go. That phone was basically bricked from our perspective.

• SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2019
    Just spent all night+ morning to a global zone restarting randomly.

Seems the Solaris config did not match the hostname. When you tried to change the hostname the kernel panicked due to a bug in nfs.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited April 2019
    4 hours of sleep after a catastrophic failure and they wake me up to make a directory from a Windows share uri that makes no sense to me.

This weekend is shit.

Update: the powers that be went live with prod without having all of the backups in place.

I'll let you guess how well that is going.

Also who writes code only on the production box it is going on?

Wtf!?

Edit 2: another server migration is being fucked up because our F5 teams doesn't understand how TCP/IP works.

Edit 3: Sure boss. Everything is exploding around me and I get inturupped every 5 minutes because me team can't do anything without a hand hold. But yeah I'll work faster on getting puppet migrated.

Seidkona on
    Happy fucking Monday. One of my clients got ransomware. I wish this was just a cruel April Fool's joke but it's real and I'm not laughing.

edited April 2019
    Oh for fuck's it encrypted the onsite backup TIB files. Luckily the offsite backups are good. It's just going to take a while to restore 200gb of file shares. Whoever setup the onsite backups shared the backup folder with everyone. This has been fixed.

That_Guy on
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Oh for fuck's it encrypted the onsite backup TIB files. Luckily the offsite backups are good. It's just going to take a while to restore 200gb of file shares. Whoever setup the onsite backups shared the backup folder with everyone. This has been fixed.
    Yeah, we had a situation where an important database folder was shared wide open for an app set up by a vendor-recommended contractor. Sure enough, the documentation from the vendor said to do this....and then in smaller print it said “you should get with your IT Department to secure this properly.” Nah, we’ll just leave it wide open.

And here’s the best part: since this was a remote server, I only wanted to back up the specific folder as needed. Unfortunately (for them) the folder they told me to back up was two levels deeper than they actually needed!

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Person comes to office, asks for a flash drive. I do not have any to give out, but we can order you some. What do you need them for? Oh, you're transferring files from a workstation to another workstation that is connected to a plasma cutter. Oh! What a great use case I can tell the bosses for us to get that AD machine up and running with some shared server space so we can save things to the shared drive instea-"They told me not to hook up that machine to the internet, it's a security issue."

Well shit. I mean we could put it on the network but not give it net access probably? I guess?

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Person comes to office, asks for a flash drive. I do not have any to give out, but we can order you some. What do you need them for? Oh, you're transferring files from a workstation to another workstation that is connected to a plasma cutter. Oh! What a great use case I can tell the bosses for us to get that AD machine up and running with some shared server space so we can save things to the shared drive instea-"They told me not to hook up that machine to the internet, it's a security issue."

Well shit. I mean we could put it on the network but not give it net access probably? I guess?

Rule of Acquisition Sysadministration #134: Never trust vendors when they say that you can't do something because of "security."

Rule of Acquisition Sysadministration #135: Never trust vendors when they say anything.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If it's running industrial equipment it very well might be best to leave it off the network entirely. I have seen CNC machines that ran on windows 98.

You could set it up in such a way as to not have any internet access but still be on the network, but IMO it's best to just leave that stuff disconnected as it can still get compromised easily if something where to somehow get on you internal network.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    There was a cash dispenser controller I worked on years back (2011) that was running on DOS.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    yep, at a prior employer when I was doing the Windows XP to 7 transition before that OS went out of support the machine that ran the CNC in one of our locations had to stay on XP becasue the CNC software was designed for Win98, we got it working on XP but it just would not work in 7. So i yanked the network cable and disabled the nic in Windows and gave them a flash drive for the odd time they needed to move files.

EDIT: also we did seriously ask if there was any way to get software that would work and the answer involved getting a new $250,000 CNC machine. so that was a no.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Doesn't windows have a run as OS option?

PSN: jfrofl
    Radiation wrote: »

That works approximately zero percent of the time for anything that interfaces with hardware. It works even less often for anything 16 bit, as of 64 bit windows.

Yeah, for industrial/medical/research equipment, there is often a very good reason why it needs to stay airgapped

I'm not saying the statement "this laser cutter needs to stay off the network" is absurd or anything, just that it's better to find out for yourself

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    wunderbar wrote: »
    yep, at a prior employer when I was doing the Windows XP to 7 transition before that OS went out of support the machine that ran the CNC in one of our locations had to stay on XP becasue the CNC software was designed for Win98, we got it working on XP but it just would not work in 7. So i yanked the network cable and disabled the nic in Windows and gave them a flash drive for the odd time they needed to move files.

EDIT: also we did seriously ask if there was any way to get software that would work and the answer involved getting a new $250,000 CNC machine. so that was a no.

Shit like this is why I'm a big proponent of open source. What usually happens is the company goes under, the assets are bought up, and then forgotten about. Really to get C++ code like that compiled into Windows 7/10 it'd take maybe a few months of work at the most. Most of it will still work without any changes unless you wrote a driver for some reason.

Compare that to CNC software thrown up on github and it'll be on the internet forever, and probably have modern updates. Or, worst case, you can do it yourself.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    Radiation wrote: »

That works approximately zero percent of the time for anything that interfaces with hardware. It works even less often for anything 16 bit, as of 64 bit windows.

Makes sense. Wasn't sure if it would emulate well software outputs.

With the CNC machines couldn't you get a newer os control software Mach3 or Mach4? Or...others?
    I'm doing the hobby level machines, but having looked at some other bigger machines and I imagine that there are options out there to update to a newer control software?

PSN: jfrofl

Shit like this is why I'm a big proponent of open source. What usually happens is the company goes under, the assets are bought up, and then forgotten about. Really to get C++ code like that compiled into Windows 7/10 it'd take maybe a few months of work at the most. Most of it will still work without any changes unless you wrote a driver for some reason.

Compare that to CNC software thrown up on github and it'll be on the internet forever, and probably have modern updates. Or, worst case, you can do it yourself.

On the other hand, the guys that coded the cash dispenser software 25 years ago are still selling it, don't have to support it at all, and are sipping Mai Tais on a beach somewhere. It's everyone else's responsibility to get it to work again, why would you ever need it improved? That doesn't sound like their masseuse on Line 1.

And these are the companies that states went to when they were like, "Hey can we have voting machines?"

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »

On the other hand, the guys that coded the cash dispenser software 25 years ago are still selling it, don't have to support it at all, and are sipping Mai Tais on a beach somewhere. It's everyone else's responsibility to get it to work again, why would you ever need it improved? That doesn't sound like their masseuse on Line 1.

And these are the companies that states went to when they were like, "Hey can we have voting machines?"

Yeah I hate that shit.

I hate seeing brand new tech come with a machine that has windows 95 or dos preinstalled on it.

dos I can kind of hand wave away I guess. There's no excuse for Windows9x though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    Thawmus wrote: »

Yeah I hate that shit.

I hate seeing brand new tech come with a machine that has windows 95 or dos preinstalled on it.

dos I can kind of hand wave away I guess. There's no excuse for Windows9x though.

A lot of the industrial machines we get nowadays have iPads and Android tablets where you'd expect the controls would be. And the software gets automatic updates, so it has to have an Internet connection.

And you know what? I'm mostly alright with that. It's fine. Last time I had to troubleshoot one, their support just used TeamViewer to remote in and fix it. That's good shit.

• CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    Yeah, for industrial/medical/research equipment, there is often a very good reason why it needs to stay airgapped

I'm not saying the statement "this laser cutter needs to stay off the network" is absurd or anything, just that it's better to find out for yourself

I did a network assessment for a client last year who use a high pressure water cutter, it runs on Win95. It's airgapped as fuck. Their backup solution is they have an exact clone of the hard drive sitting in a safe, so if the computer takes a shit, they just swap drives and pray.

This is somehow totally normal for lots of niche software. It was written 20 years ago, only works on hardware from that era, and we as a society seem to have accepted that fate.

This vendor is setting up their software on a new server that I'm migrating a client to. They have to install a base version and then incrementally install all TWENTY SIX subsequent updates to patch the software to current.

We started this on Friday morning.

Cog wrote: »

I did a network assessment for a client last year who use a high pressure water cutter, it runs on Win95. It's airgapped as fuck. Their backup solution is they have an exact clone of the hard drive sitting in a safe, so if the computer takes a shit, they just swap drives and pray.

This is somehow totally normal for lots of niche software. It was written 20 years ago, only works on hardware from that era, and we as a society seem to have accepted that fate.

Oh yeah. We have an old old mainframe kicking here that is airgapped, and if someone wants to use it, here's the closet where you get to use it.

And if it breaks, we have an exact replica that was bought 15 years ago in a vault in shrink-wrap. And if it doesn't work, everyone has sworn on the Bible that they'll accept that fate.

We have a solaris 2.6 box in production.. .

. . .
    . . .
    . . .

I assume at this point it's cheaper to just maintain your own herd of goats for the ritual sacrifices?

I'm actually okay with it as long as it stays airgapped.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    On-call this week, and have a client whose restore is going so poorly that I'm just rebuilding the server. I haven't spun up a DC from scratch in awhile!

Air gapped!

Hahahaha

On call is almost over. It has been constant.

I need a bottle of wine and a long nap.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »
    On-call this week, and have a client whose restore is going so poorly that I'm just rebuilding the server. I haven't spun up a DC from scratch in awhile!

Update from the morning after: Still got it 8-)

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Or the drive in the safe dies and nobody notices because they don't do recovery test runs.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Drovek wrote: »

Or the drive in the safe dies and nobody notices because they don't do recovery test runs.

Ideally you'd also test restoring an image to a fresh HDD as well, though at that point you're also having to consider that your motherboard and other hardware are likely without backups or available parts, etc.

A legitimate disaster recovery plan can include scenarios in which that line of business is done and everyone involved gets reassigned or gets a severance package.

I traced the source of the infection back to the remote desktop server. Over the weekend someone logged in and ran a customized VeraCrypt package. It managed to get everything that Domain Users had r/w on. The onsite backups for the file server were encrypted too but the off-site backups were fine. The RDS backup location was fine because I was the one who set it up and only gave the admin account access. Since RDS was where it came from we nuked the VM and restored from backup. After an on-site meeting to discuss the events of the day, I went home. It is as around 6:30 that every finished.

All things considered this was a remarkably fast and smooth disaster recovery. They went from totally fucked to right as rain in less than 12 hours.

I traced the source of the infection back to the remote desktop server. Over the weekend someone logged in and ran a customized VeraCrypt package. It managed to get everything that Domain Users had r/w on. The onsite backups for the file server were encrypted too but the off-site backups were fine. The RDS backup location was fine because I was the one who set it up and only gave the admin account access. Since RDS was where it came from we nuked the VM and restored from backup. After an on-site meeting to discuss the events of the day, I went home. It is as around 6:30 that every finished.

All things considered this was a remarkably fast and smooth disaster recovery. They went from totally fucked to right as rain in less than 12 hours.

IMO remote desktop should be blacklisted unless the connection is originating from inside your network.

LD50 wrote: »

IMO remote desktop should be blacklisted unless the connection is originating from inside your network.

It's coming from inside the network!

edited April 2019
    Today has been a long day. . .

Had to reschedule my job interview last minute because there was a full on meltdown over a migration that failed.

Seidkona on
    TL DR wrote: »

Ideally you'd also test restoring an image to a fresh HDD as well, though at that point you're also having to consider that your motherboard and other hardware are likely without backups or available parts, etc.

A legitimate disaster recovery plan can include scenarios in which that line of business is done and everyone involved gets reassigned or gets a severance package.

yeah a machine that old it'll be running on an IDE hard drive, long before the times of SATA. finding a working one nowadays gets a lot harder.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    We will reach the point where we will upload ourselves to the internet and live forever and someone, somewhere, will still have a critical system running WinXP.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited April 2019
    We will reach the point where we will upload ourselves to the internet and live forever and someone, somewhere, will still have a critical system running WinXP.

what if the cloud is actually just a Windows XP box?

wunderbar on
This discussion has been closed.