As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BATTLETECH/MechWarrior] Thread Bombed From Orbit [Closed]

• htmhtm Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    htm wrote: »
    And picked up the Jaeger in mission 3! With a few random missions I'm now rolling with 3x Shadowhawks (all using the same armament as detailed above) plus a default Jaegermech. Once my repair + refit of the Centurion completes, I might just fit that thing with max armor and an AC/20 I bought and really start wrecking faces.

Did you ever try any mods? JK Variants + Adjusted Mech Assembly are huge fun for a new campaign. Lots of enemy mechs with genuinely strange load-outs and thus lots more variety to fuel the salvage Pokémon meta-game.

Started adding mods again; do those mods work with an existing campaign or would I need to restart?

I'm not sure about JK (and there'd be no reason to run AAA without JK). Some quick googling didn't turn up a definitive answer, only that it doesn't break saves if removed.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    htm wrote: »
    And picked up the Jaeger in mission 3! With a few random missions I'm now rolling with 3x Shadowhawks (all using the same armament as detailed above) plus a default Jaegermech. Once my repair + refit of the Centurion completes, I might just fit that thing with max armor and an AC/20 I bought and really start wrecking faces.

Did you ever try any mods? JK Variants + Adjusted Mech Assembly are huge fun for a new campaign. Lots of enemy mechs with genuinely strange load-outs and thus lots more variety to fuel the salvage Pokémon meta-game.

Started adding mods again; do those mods work with an existing campaign or would I need to restart?

You can add them both to an in-progress game without issue.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • monkeykinsmonkeykins Registered User regular
    Lots of salt in game text this morning (Sunday). I've been called more names, and told to uninstall, in a single match than in my whole time playing. And my team won.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    The mechs I'm collecting are starting to get repetitive, even after completing Smithon. Now I have

A Dragon
    A Kintaro (hell yeah, now I can be like Arano-sempai) - I turned it into an SRM Missile Boat.
    Shadow Hawk variant
    A Griffin (which comes in handy in Jungles because my avatar has Breaching Shot)

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »

I don't understand the joke. Even tried searching it on the Internet and came up with a Sarna link.
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Kaetetôã
    monkeykins wrote: »
    Lots of salt in game text this morning (Sunday). I've been called more names, and told to uninstall, in a single match than in my whole time playing. And my team won.

Oooh, I need to jump in then. I miss the old salt mines.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited March 2019
    Betsuni wrote: »

I don't understand the joke. Even tried searching it on the Internet and came up with a Sarna link.

It has to do with the Tetatae, the first (and only) time a race of sapient aliens was seen in Battletech. The fandom did not take well to them and the book they're in is considered non-canon by many as a result.

Nobody on
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    It's the April 1st event.

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    The mechs I'm collecting are starting to get repetitive, even after completing Smithon. Now I have

A Dragon
    A Kintaro (hell yeah, now I can be like Arano-sempai) - I turned it into an SRM Missile Boat.
    Shadow Hawk variant
    A Griffin (which comes in handy in Jungles because my avatar has Breaching Shot)

Yeah, you do hit bands of repetition. By the end of my first campaign, I had over a full company of Orions in storage. :)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2

It has to do with the Tetatae, the first (and only) time a race of sapient aliens was seen in Battletech. The fandom did not take well to them and the book they're in is considered non-canon by many as a result.
    Heffling wrote: »
    It's the April 1st event.

I figured it was the April 1st event (joke) but now I get it. Thanks to both of you!

oosik_betsuni.png
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    I looked at the event details, and...is this for real? This can't be for real, right?

I mean, if it was real, canon aside, the literal implementation of what they're suggesting is...well, it's more coding that I'd thought PGI was capable of nowadays. It literally implies new instantiated objects into the game world, that aren't just buildings or trees or whatever.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Most people (at least on the reddit) seem to assume they’re trackers for the usual sorts of ingame things, just renamed

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited April 2019
    I'm guessing destroy components, UAV detections/Scouting, First Capture, Solo Kill, Launch UAVs?

EDIT: last one might be hit and run

Nobody on
    Free mech get. Jenner, Hunchback, or Bushwacker? I am pretty not great with Lights that dont carry ECM.

Hunchback IIC and Bushwacker are both solid mechs. Bushwackers are tanky little beasts and Hunchback IICs have an incredible alpha strike.

• OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Ran the crate mission again. Things are so much easier when you know what you're doing and you have a weapons fit that makes sense. An Orion doesn't hurt either.

Instead of trying to smack down theturrets in the base, I made a beeline for the far base (with the lone sniper turret). I took out the sniper turret, dropped the first cargo truck, then blew up one of the crates to take out the second truck. I blew a second crate which destroyed one light and heavily damaged another two. I continued moving the rest of my units around the cliffside so they were only exposed to indirect fire from the base and picked off enemy mechs as they came.

Ignoring the indirect fire came with a cost of course--my Orion lost its left arm and was taking severe damage before I finally pulled it out of there (boo, lost an SRM6, but at least not one of the ++ varients I had mounted elsewhere). One of my two shadowhawks got a bit chewed up as well. But that was the worst damage I took while managing to achieve all objectives. Not bad!

The next story mission was the one where you need to blow up a Dropship and a group of heavies crashes the party. Last time I got my ass handed to me. I won, but I had lost one mech and suffered severe damage to the rest (as I recall).

This time? Made a beeline for the right turret generator, blew it up, knocked out the defending mechs, blew up the left turret generator, finished the Dropship, and moved on the heavies in good order with no heat. Took them out with light structure damage to two mechs (a Shadowhawk and my Orion again).

EZ-PZ.

Free mech get. Jenner, Hunchback, or Bushwacker? I am pretty not great with Lights that dont carry ECM.

I honestly usually go with assaults or heavies for free mechs since they cost a ton. Out of the three you listed I love the Jenner IIc, but I'm partial to lights. If that is the 6 SRM4 build that thing is my go-to when I want to put up some crazy damage numbers in the fast light queue. Fire the 4 in the arms as one mouse button and the 2 in the torso as the other mouse button. Then if you have a third mouse button bind that to chain fire all of them. I use that one for when I'm near overheating.

oosik_betsuni.png
    I love lights- I finished off the challenge with an 820 damage, 1 solo kill, 3 KMDD match in my 2SPL+2SRM4 Raven. But my Flea seems to have a much rougher go than my ACH, KFX, or Raven. I think the Bushwacker sounds fun, I think it has all the missiles and an empty right side?

Eesh, yeah looks like it. MRM20s for days (3 of them).

oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2019
    Nips wrote: »
    I looked at the event details, and...is this for real? This can't be for real, right?

I mean, if it was real, canon aside, the literal implementation of what they're suggesting is...well, it's more coding that I'd thought PGI was capable of nowadays. It literally implies new instantiated objects into the game world, that aren't just buildings or trees or whatever.

Nope, not real. UAV, Capture Conquest, Kill/KMDD, etc.

Destroy 30 components, detect 10 mechs with UAV, capture conquest point, 1KMDD/Kill, 2 Assist.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Eesh, yeah looks like it. MRM20s for days (3 of them).

On the bright side, it does have zombie potential.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    I managed to clear the whole thing out in one night.

btw @betsuni if it helps on that Canyon Network match, I deliberately did not shoot at you. Granted, I was in my RAC hawk and I'd just be spraying the legs of everybody around you instead, but still, it's the thought that counts!

I managed to clear the whole thing out in one night.

btw betsuni if it helps on that Canyon Network match, I deliberately did not shoot at you. Granted, I was in my RAC hawk and I'd just be spraying the legs of everybody around you instead, but still, it's the thought that counts!

Eh, you should have shot at me. That would have ended my painful match that much faster. In the end it still was a pretty fast slaughter.

oosik_betsuni.png
    ajflyu2cdqpg.png

Martian biomes are a pain in the ass when you're up against 2 lances each of which weigh as much as yours. :(

First ejection of the campaign, and not a minute too soon--main torso of the Jagermech had all of 8 structure remaining.

edited April 2019
    ...I should probably quit while I'm behind.

6lmqft8o0wuw.png

Goodbye Glitch, you will be missed. :(

Orca on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Ouch. Are you playing with CT permadeath for mechs turned on, or are your Centurions recoverable?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    At least they went out in a blaze of glory (mech one one tank). Poor Rider didn't get anyone.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Iolo wrote: »
    Ouch. Are you playing with CT permadeath for mechs turned on, or are your Centurions recoverable?

Centurions were recoverable, but after that shit showing I decommissioned them. AC20 + LRM10 is not useful unless your tactics is high enough to mitigate the minimum range, and even then, 680 armor doesn't go very far when a Demolisher decides to say "fuck you in particular". That particular variant just didn't work for me.

It's only 2 1/2 skulls, how hard could it be?

He says before the Demolishers and Cataphracts show up

Looking forward to trying out MRM, haven't used them before. And if all else fails, I can turn it into a new LRM boat.

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    MRMs take more practice than youd think but they feel great once you get it

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    They are just SRMs that keep going for a ways longer, right? I probably should have checked if they have arming distance, etc...

I haven’t had much luck with them personally, you sandblast off a lot of armor and then the rest of your team fails to take advantage of it.

That said, being your own macross missile massacre is kinda fun.

Give me a mech that vomits SRMs and I will do naughty things though.

They are just SRMs that keep going for a ways longer, right? I probably should have checked if they have arming distance, etc...

No arming distance.

And they're slower than SRMs and volley out longer.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Hahaha I want to chain fire them for full comedic effect.
    I might pick up a Jenner anyways, I've had some really good times with SRMs in my other lights.
    Also started getting the hang of double Gauss on that awful free Corsair, they just tear off big holes in whatever you hit, which is great fun!

Hahaha I want to chain fire them for full comedic effect.
    I might pick up a Jenner anyways, I've had some really good times with SRMs in my other lights.
    Also started getting the hang of double Gauss on that awful free Corsair, they just tear off big holes in whatever you hit, which is great fun!

The Jenner IIc is everything the Catapult wants to do, but faster. At least in my experience.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Personally I find MRMs good against bigger and chunkier enemies, but hopeless against enemy lights (SRMs on the other hand do fairly well against lights, although not as well as lasers).
    MRMs are pretty much at the very bottom of my anti-light weapon rankings. If you fire a MRM40 against a light that hasn't done something really wrong you'll hit like...3 missiles. Possibly even less if he's put some points into jumpjets.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
    I'll make sure to keep some room for some pewpew, like Splas or something. Might have to learn how to stay near my team finally...

edited April 2019
    I'll make sure to keep some room for some pewpew, like Splas or something. Might have to learn how to stay near my team finally...

Just act like an appendage to a heavy or assault and you'll be fine.

Edit: So came somewhat close to getting a free mech. Oh well, at least I got some fun MWO time in for once. Haven't done a partial day of Mechwarrioring in a long time.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited April 2019
    So, I think I found a build that I like for the freebie Warhammer IIC. Just took this build out into Conquest classic Forest Colony Snow and made the mistake of hitting up the tunnel with it...where I and a Marauder IIC ran headfirst into a Zeus, Rifleman-LK, and Arctic Cheetah. Managed to backpedal and get in that sweet-spot range band for the ATMs against the Zeus. Lost most of my armor in the exchange, but I managed to drill out the CT of the Zeus before I backed out of the tunnel entrance. The poor Marauder IIC that went with me got taken out...but we managed to delete the Zeus and core out both the Rifleman's and Cheetah's CT armor. Sadly, that's when the SRM-boating Huntsman showed up and killed me before I could get one last volley off on the Rifleman.

Anyway, thanks to comm use and keeping people appraised of target damage and positioning, we managed to pull out a win due to resource caps. The build didn't do great. But it was niiiiiice.

420 damage, 1 kill, 3xKMDD

Erlkönig on
    Ooo, I might have to steal that. I've been trying to make 2ERPPC 3xERML work. It doesn't. Never even though about HLL.
    Actually, I wonder if swapping the ERML for I dunno, SPL, and putting a big ol SRM in there could make brawling and heat efficiency a thing...