As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warmest Regards, the [job] thread

KetBraKetBra Dressed RidiculouslyRegistered User regular
edited April 2019 in Social Entropy++
Let's talk about jobs; the having of them, the getting of them, and the time Pam microwaved fish and stank up the whole place.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
KetBra on

• PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    WrD2Lkjl.jpg
    They added some new tech at work.

Also, I got a pay raise!

• ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    Someone just tried to put an entire corn muffin in the conveyor toaster and now there is hella smoke.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Note that it's perfectly reasonable to microwave your job in the fish thread.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    @Drake Chambers

It didn't come up during the interview but the company they use is going to verify my work history and also asked about my unemployed from leaving discover to now. I put that I was unemployed. Hope this doesn't screw me over.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My previous job no one had any reservations about microwaving fish or stinky veggies like broccoli.

Orientation at new job is going pretty well thus far. We got an hour for lunch so I'm munching chips and playing a game. I'm still having trouble believing that this is real and I'm no longer a glorified paper pusher.

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Defibrillate your fish.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    So they said they might call me early this week for a second interview at the hotel

So far nothing though. Hope they do though at some point.

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    @Drake Chambers

It didn't come up during the interview but the company they use is going to verify my work history and also asked about my unemployed from leaving discover to now. I put that I was unemployed. Hope this doesn't screw me over.

Yeah, hopefully I say it won't matter, but for future reference I think you should mention it in response to a direct question like that. Maybe just be prepared for a follow-up inquiry if they find your prior employment and ask why you didn't disclose it. If you flounder about with that answer it'll raise suspicion as opposed to a casual, "Yeah, sorry about that. I worked there for such a short time I didn't think to mention it."

• Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Let's talk about jobs; the having of them, the getting of them, and the time Pam microwaved fish and stank up the whole place.

In my old, old office, people were breaking out the torches and pitchforks in preparation to hunt down and bring to justice an individual who was stealing lunches from the fridge.

Pam was the one to defend the person from a position of empathy, stating that maybe the person was "really hungry."

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

In my old, old office, people were breaking out the torches and pitchforks in preparation to hunt down and bring to justice an individual who was stealing lunches from the fridge.

Pam was the one to defend the person from a position of empathy, stating that maybe the person was "really hungry."

Pam stole those fucking lunches and I hope you crucified her charred remains.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    When I was working overnights someone would infrequently microwave fish. Now I work afternoons into late night it's burnt popcorn. Stealing lunches {I really don't know why people do this some I can guess why others I just have no idea} it's sadly an all to common problem where I work I put my lunchbox ontop of the vending machines so you need a ladder to get it.

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    My previous job no one had any reservations about microwaving fish or stinky veggies like broccoli.

Orientation at new job is going pretty well thus far. We got an hour for lunch so I'm munching chips and playing a game. I'm still having trouble believing that this is real and I'm no longer a glorified paper pusher.

Broccoli can sometimes smell so foul yet taste so good

@Moriveth has perfected roasting broccoli and it stinks so badly when I reheat it, but it’s often my favourite part of the lunch!

I’m glad orientation is going well and I hope you enjoy it!

To expand on my last post in the previous job thread: it wasn’t upsetting that the law worked as intended. It was upsetting that the prosecution couldn’t bring a strong enough case against the defendant who was on domestic violence/stalking charges; the woman the prosecution was working for seemed genuinely afraid for her life, my dad said.

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

We have a fridge at work. Up to this point, nothing I had in it was stolen (I am quite new, and others have told me that this was a problem).

My food is always really, really spicy. I just love it that way. Anyway, I was sitting at my desk when my coworker came running out, having a hard time breathing. He then ran into the bathroom and started being sick. Turns out he ate my clearly labeled lunch. (It also was in a cooler lunch box to keeps it cold from work to home, as it’s a long drive.) There was nothing different about my lunch that day. In fact, it was just the leftovers from my dinner the night before.

Fast forward a day and my boss comes in asking if I tried to poison this person. Of course I denied that I had done so. I even took out my current day’s lunch and let my boss taste a bit (he was blown away by how spicy it was even though he only took a small bite). I then proceeded to eat several spoonfuls to prove I could eat it with no problem. He said not to worry, and that it was clear to him that I didn’t mean any harm, my coworker shouldn’t have been eating my food, etc. etc. I thought the issue was over.

A week later, I got called up to HR for an investigation, claiming that I did in fact try to do harm to this person and this investigation is still ongoing. What confuses me is there was nothing said about this guy trying to steal my lunch. When I brought it up, they said something along the lines of “We cannot prove he stole anything.” I am confused at this. I thought the proof would be clear.

My boss is on my side, but HR seem to be trying to string me up. Their behavior is quite aggressive. Even if my boss backs me up, they just ignore everything he says. (As in, he would say “That’s clearly not the case” and the HR lady wouldn’t even look in his direction and continued talking.)

On top of this, HR claims that it would be well within said coworker’s rights to try and sue me. The way it was said seemed to suggest that they suggested this to him as a course of action.

How can someone be caught stealing my lunch and then turn around and say I was in the wrong? I don’t understand it at all! I don’t know what to do, I am afraid that I will loose my job over this. Is there any advice you can give me?

https://www.askamanager.org/2016/07/a-coworker-stole-my-spicy-food-got-sick-and-is-blaming-me.html

• ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular

There is a lady in our office who cooks Movie Theater Butter Popcorn in the office once a day and it is insane how completely the stink fills up the entire office

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    So glad there's an update and an end to that story!

• David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

We have a fridge at work. Up to this point, nothing I had in it was stolen (I am quite new, and others have told me that this was a problem).

My food is always really, really spicy. I just love it that way. Anyway, I was sitting at my desk when my coworker came running out, having a hard time breathing. He then ran into the bathroom and started being sick. Turns out he ate my clearly labeled lunch. (It also was in a cooler lunch box to keeps it cold from work to home, as it’s a long drive.) There was nothing different about my lunch that day. In fact, it was just the leftovers from my dinner the night before.

Fast forward a day and my boss comes in asking if I tried to poison this person. Of course I denied that I had done so. I even took out my current day’s lunch and let my boss taste a bit (he was blown away by how spicy it was even though he only took a small bite). I then proceeded to eat several spoonfuls to prove I could eat it with no problem. He said not to worry, and that it was clear to him that I didn’t mean any harm, my coworker shouldn’t have been eating my food, etc. etc. I thought the issue was over.

A week later, I got called up to HR for an investigation, claiming that I did in fact try to do harm to this person and this investigation is still ongoing. What confuses me is there was nothing said about this guy trying to steal my lunch. When I brought it up, they said something along the lines of “We cannot prove he stole anything.” I am confused at this. I thought the proof would be clear.

My boss is on my side, but HR seem to be trying to string me up. Their behavior is quite aggressive. Even if my boss backs me up, they just ignore everything he says. (As in, he would say “That’s clearly not the case” and the HR lady wouldn’t even look in his direction and continued talking.)

On top of this, HR claims that it would be well within said coworker’s rights to try and sue me. The way it was said seemed to suggest that they suggested this to him as a course of action.

How can someone be caught stealing my lunch and then turn around and say I was in the wrong? I don’t understand it at all! I don’t know what to do, I am afraid that I will loose my job over this. Is there any advice you can give me?

https://www.askamanager.org/2016/07/a-coworker-stole-my-spicy-food-got-sick-and-is-blaming-me.html
    Remember the letter-writer in July whose coworker stole his spicy food, got sick, and blamed him for it? And HR was blaming him too? Here’s the (kind of amazing) update.
    I ended up being fired by HR, as she said there was enough of a case to get rid of me before the top boss came back. I consulted a lawyer who sent a letter to the company informing them that I was considering legal action. The letter contained the reasons for doing so and an account of what happened.

One week later, I got a call from the guy who owns the company asking me to come back, with an apology. Both the HR woman and the thief have been “let go.” He also gave me a very generous raise, I assume to gloss everything over. I accepted and am now back at work.

As much as I hate to go based on office talk, it seemed that the HR woman and the food thief may have been romantically involved. They were seen a lot outside work together, etc. So I assume it was her protecting him. She may have even believed him and thought I was trying to frame him or something, who knows. I doubt I will get an answer now.

Right now I’m working in the previous position with almost double my paycheck, so it’s a great turnaround. The boss also opened more doors for me, offering different training courses that I’ll be paid for. It’s obviously to keep me happy and stop me from taking any legal action, but what more could I ask for? Something unreasonable happened and it’s been more than corrected. I’d have been happy with just having my job back.

I’d rather have not gone though the whole thing at all though. I just hope I never have to experience this kind of thing again. I don’t really have a support group so was on the edge of losing my apartment etc. Anyway, thanks for the advice. I had nowhere to turn!

https://www.askamanager.org/2016/10/update-a-coworker-stole-my-spicy-food-got-sick-and-is-blaming-me.html

So, err, not to cast aspersions on Pam but maybe it was more than just empathy...

euj90n71sojo.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Holy shit that spicy food story is spicy

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    So glad there's an update and an end to that story!

I like that there is an update, but man, would not have seen that ending coming!

edited April 2019

It's also made me instantly hungry.

tynic on
    tynic wrote: »

I have arrived at hunger part two for the day. I can tough it out for the next half hour, then I'll go home to watch littlest while my wife is at a doctor appointment, and I'll be able to stuff my face with abundant home food instead of subsisting on my usual, meager office lunch.

Oh shoot I also forgot I gotta go pick up my pants that are done getting hemmed.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    @Drake Chambers

Yeah, hopefully I say it won't matter, but for future reference I think you should mention it in response to a direct question like that. Maybe just be prepared for a follow-up inquiry if they find your prior employment and ask why you didn't disclose it. If you flounder about with that answer it'll raise suspicion as opposed to a casual, "Yeah, sorry about that. I worked there for such a short time I didn't think to mention it."

I'm ready if they do ask about it but now I'm a little anxious about the whole thing. I'm going in tomorrow to do my badge, drug tests, and finger prints so I might ask then usually how long it takes so I know when I can relax.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.

I have arrived at hunger part two for the day. I can tough it out for the next half hour, then I'll go home to watch littlest while my wife is at a doctor appointment, and I'll be able to stuff my face with abundant home food instead of subsisting on my usual, meager office lunch.

The gym doesn't clear out to the point of usability until after 9pm, so I'm definitely going to have to fill in the gap with something. The question is going to be if the cafeteria has anything worth eating in it, or if i will fall back on an outsized chocolate chip cookie once again.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Whelp I did it, I've been perfect up until now but as I was getting up to head to the bathroom I accidentally farted a little. Not a huge one, but audible. I no longer wish to return to the office.

This is why I need to be management, that way I can have my own office to stink up

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Whelp I did it, I've been perfect up until now but as I was getting up to head to the bathroom I accidentally farted a little. Not a huge one, but audible. I no longer wish to return to the office.

This is why I need to be management, that way I can have my own office to stink up

the only way you get to management level is by farting so bad that they give you your own space out of fear for what smells will come out of you next

fart your way to the top

The gym doesn't clear out to the point of usability until after 9pm, so I'm definitely going to have to fill in the gap with something. The question is going to be if the cafeteria has anything worth eating in it, or if i will fall back on an outsized chocolate chip cookie once again.

I'm sure it's for the best that I can't, given my old-man metabolism and prospects for long term health... but I really miss being able to subsist on a giant cookie.

For years we had a Larry's Cookies we'd walk past on our way home from the metro. Not only were those cookies awesome, but they were huge, and heavy. Also extremely expensive but it was a different time then. My wife has more of a sweet tooth than I do and it was usually her that would stop us because, as she said, "The cookies looked at me."

the only way you get to management level is by farting so bad that they give you your own space out of fear for what smells will come out of you next

fart your way to the top

That's what ND did, I hear. That's how you get to be Fart Director.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    Dejob vu thread

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I am leaving at the right time. There's a big stack of orders, my responsibilities are not being picked up in a timely manner, chaos is looming.

This shit is just going to self combust, I don't even have to flick the match.

So they probably aren't going to call me today. I'm nervous they won't call me for a second interview at all.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Ugh, so I’ve been on amoxicillin for my ear infection for like 4 days now and my ear is STILL hurting

So now i’m back at the clinic to get checked out

These two days I’ve been off have kinda sucked

Moriveth on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited April 2019
    Uriel wrote: »
    So they probably aren't going to call me today. I'm nervous they won't call me for a second interview at all.

Give it time bud. These people have other jobs and might have other problems to deal with. If you haven't sent a thank you, tonight might be a good time, so it's in the inbox in the morning.

Anon the Felon on
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited April 2019

Phone them back and politely ask where they are in the hiring process/thank them for the interview.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »

fart your way to the top

That's what ND did, I hear. That's how you get to be Fart Director.

I was waiting for this. Thank you

Give it time bud. These people have other jobs and might have other problems to deal with. If you haven't sent a thank you, tonight might be a good time, do it's in the inbox in the morning.

I don't have their email or I would type something like that.

I'll give them a call to follow up, ask about it and thank them tomorrow since I see my job developer in the morning anyway and she can give me tips and a pep talk about it.

• MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    So uh, new workplace has some dress code colors to avoid because the patients wear them. No big deal, prisons had those too. We couldn't wear green or blue so I got a wardrobe where 90% of my pants are khaki and a light brown jacket. So what's the colors here?

No khaki or brown. Of course. But blue and green are fine!

Also god dammit my state is passing a 10 and a half cent per gallon has tax increase

Fucking.. It's already over $2.60 a gallon and it isn't summer yet...

They are out of their damn minds

I'm glad I have a pretty economical car... Almost worth the 12.99% apr on the loan...

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

Electric.

...and I CANNOT stress this enough...

Chair.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    And now I have to drive to Tacoma because even though Puyallup has a walk-in clinic, that clinic is apparently never open.

Moriveth wrote: »
    And now I have to drive to Tacoma because even though Puyallup has a walk-in clinic, that clinic is apparently never open.

What about Fife? Do they have nothing?

This discussion has been closed.